Sign in to follow this  
Sole

CV-22 Osprey

Wow...

I thank you so much for this fantastic addon... I wait since the release of Operation Flahpoint for a Osprey Addon. And now is my dream true. It's released and the best it's just a beta!! Really nice, I am already happy to see the final version from your addon.

greetings 23-down

and sorry for the bad english. sad_o.gif

I agree that this is a great addon. I'm having a ton of fun with it despite its limitations. The engine sound is just superb and overall I think its a simple but good model with good animations. The handling isn't the best but its still very usable and the AI can land without crashing usually.

However one beef.... why is it a USAF aircraft? I didn't know the USAF was even interested in buying these.

If possible Please make this into a USMC version with a door gun. Someone said leave out the door gun, but in OFP, its ALOT funner in MP games when you have a door gunner. Even in SP games, a door gunner can often knock off snipers on buildings and help to provide a little close air support as it flys by.

One of the miniguns like on the BAS blackhawks would be very nice along with USMC markings so as to simulate more real-life USMC operations using Earl and Suchey's Marines in it.

They're the ones I'm using this addon with at the moment and so far its working out very nicely.

Other updates that would rock is having the gear animation automatically go up at a certain speed and back down at a certain speed.

The doors should remain the same though because sometimes its nice to fly with the rear ramp open (nice view if you're sitting in the back).

Anyhoo...other then those things I really love this addon.

Awesome work and thank you so much for releasing this beta. It's very much appreciated.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well some say it is a death trap, some say it dont worth it,

but what else could we have if there is only one?

good job sole, looking foward for the final product smile_o.gif

Hi ... I and I think the rest of the USMC mod would be very interested to use your model ....

I thought the Marines were planning a gunship version. I could swear I've seen one with rocket pods mounted on the fuselage above the landing gear bulges. Of course, you'd only be able to use them when the engines were rotated up...

Ferret - The problem is that the prop-axis can't be made

to tilt forwards and backwards if it's in the main model - you

can't 'animate' the axis points of a 'different' animation.

Just tossing an idea into the ring - you could model the

engines and propellers as a 'class thing', with a script that

spins the props at a given speed.

Then, in the main model, these 'engine blocks' could be added

to the main model as 'cargo' proxies. The proxies can be made

to rotate forward and backward, and the 'spin' of the engine

blocks should follow, I think. It'll need some fancy scripting

to maintain the engine blocks when people are getting in and

out, but not impossible, I would think.

That's unfortunately not possible. I already tried some things like this, since this would also enable a steerable and though rolling steering wheel, but as it looks proxies can't be animated other than with a turret selection. This would also have been the answer for the rpm question, since you would add a proxy to the rpm selection and could get the throttle position by querying the distance between proxy and plane (which is actually possible).

Hi Sole,

In all the years that OFP has been around I have always wondered why this amazing feat of engineering has never been made (I know one was being made by a mod group but heard nothing more about it, maybe it was the difficulties in creating a realistic rendition of it that ended the production), but anyway this is an great addon and hopefully someone will take up the challenge of finishing it for you.

Parker Hale

@Hellfish ... i read something about and saw a funny version ... it has a secon wing with two other rotors ... it was eraly workout of possible ch53 replacment

That's unfortunately not possible. I already tried some things like this, since this would also enable a steerable and though rolling steering wheel, but as it looks proxies can't be animated other than with a turret selection. This would also have been the answer for the rpm question, since you would add a proxy to the rpm selection and could get the throttle position by querying the distance between proxy and plane (which is actually possible).

Curses. Foiled again.

I tried some 'throttle-sensing' things like that with drop[] and

POSX, but they came to nothing. Need to kick-start the brain again.

yes, I also tried this drop thingie but unfortunately not even memory points are animated together with the hardcoded animations . . .

slowly I start to believe that there seems to be no solution with the current engine sad_o.gif

Instead of rotating the moving props... when the aircraft is ready to go forward .. could you not simulate a turning prop by showing a rotor blur texture at different points around its path , swapping one for the next as it goes , like an animated gif ? If ya get meh ?

However one beef.... why is it a USAF aircraft? I didn't know the USAF was even interested in buying these.

@ Miles Teg

Well, when I was google-ing for some V-22 pics, I found this pic of a V-22. At first I just thought it'd be a nice paintjob for the Osprey. I later found out it was the USAF CV-22, wich is designed to be used by the Special Operations Command.

@ all the other people

Glad most of you guys like it smile_o.gif

I intentionally did not try any scripting for engine tilting or VTOL, because the whole project started out as a simple test to simulate VTOL without any scripting.

I'm unsure if I'll be continueing to work on this though. Since it's only one of my 'fun projects' I work on when I'm not doing anything else. At first I never thought I'd actually get it this far. We'll see smile_o.gif

Instead of rotating the moving props... when the aircraft is ready to go forward .. could you not simulate a turning prop by showing a rotor blur texture at different points around its path , swapping one for the next  as it goes , like an animated gif ?  If ya get meh ?

You could, but the texture swap in-out is limited by the

number of textures you're willing to generate (and overall

pbo size). Even if you do 50 textures, that's still a 120/50 =

2.4 degree jump between them. It may look a bit 'jumpy' on

such a big texture.

Plus, you have to 'swap' in a 'stationary' prop for when it's at

rest.

Do-able, but maybe a bit 'long-winded'?

There is the main-rotor-tilt on the helis as well. Not sure what

would happen if you set this to 1.57...

great addon,

but as said in the readme you die if you eject.

would be great if someone could fix it, cause when i eject the paracute does not open

Hi Sole its me again..

Please continue your work on your "fun project, test project whatever". I like the CV-22 Osprey so much you cannot believe it. Or please finish just your textures at the model and I will be so happy. I hope u don't cancel your work on the addon, your addon is the only one in the whole community with a V-22. Is that not reason enough to building further? tounge_o.gif

Whatever you do, i thank you for the Beta of the CV-22 Osprey! Really tanks. smile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

alright i had this idea when i was sitting in class today u could maybe make the original props invisible and then have the visible props as seperate things being able to tilt i dont no if it would work but hey its an idea i put it out there do what u want with it wink_o.gif

Thanks for the pic Sole. I hope I didn't come off sounding rude or ungrateful for your Osprey. I think it's awesome and I've been having tons of fun. But I hope its cool with you if others develop it into a USMC Osprey as well. Until then I guess I'll start using it with some of the US Army special ops addons like the BAS Delta teams.

I was thinking that one cool feature would be a rope rappelling feature like in the BAS blackhawks and in the OFrP Puma addons. That would be nice for special ops missions especially in urban areas where there are few good landing spots and where the commandos need to be inserted near a target area rather then fight their way from the outside of the city, into the city.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

No. You can't have one animation tied to another - i.e. propellers can't rotate along with the engine.

Wheels rotate and go up and down wink_o.gif

thats 2 anims , lol , why not make the props into wheels and have a flying c....... rock.gif maybe not tounge_o.gif

Wheels are one animation - i.e. they have two settings, up and down. A rotor turning on an engine that turns too would require more than one animation.