Sign in to follow this  
Sole

CV-22 Osprey

Well, get some help from the FLK mod. I mean they had their harrier nozzles turning when you went into vtol mode.

Actually its the only V-22 relased to the community, I counted at least five that predate this one by over a year to two years. Including a pack of them I've been messing with for some time, the limitation to the engine rotation problem stopped my project from being released. And a couple the others were rips from the VBS1 so they wisely never released them.

Lots of addons out there really nice ones, that are never released, mainly cause they don't wanna give up the control of their addons.

Would be tight if it had the BAS fast roping scripts too wink_o.gif Nice addon BTW.

Just a couple more paint schemes, and some cool scripts, and you got a good 1 on ur hands.

The rotating plane wheels are done like this:

You have 'turning' wheels in the 'gear-down' position. These

animate to look as though they are 'rolling'. You have

_separate_ 'folding' wheels which move up and down into the

plane. When you fire the gear-up or gear-down command, you

setobjecttexture to hide one set, and 'reveal' the other set.

So, there's only one anim per selection.

As a test, try this:

http://www.footmunch.org.uk/temp/rkt_osp.zip

This is in West->Air->Osprey Test, and is a 'kludge' applied to

the BIS Chinook. The main and tail rotor blades tilt forward

to around 45 degrees. It should be quite easy for someone to

take the selections in the Chinnie, and apply them to the

props on an Osprey model.

Not perfect, but it uses the 'built-in' stuff, so there's no

scripting overhead. Also, as it's based on a heli, there's no

need for VTOL scripting.

Sole - Sorry about the hi-jack. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]After testing it a bit, i have difficulty to imagine that this great addon is only 380ko !

Awesome job Sole

Yeah it is bloody amazing. I was certain I wasn't going to find many addons I'd want to download anymore what with how the size and detail for OFP addons has gone through through the roof.

The rotating plane wheels are done like this:

You have 'turning' wheels in the 'gear-down' position. These

animate to look as though they are 'rolling'. You have

_separate_ 'folding' wheels which move up and down into the

plane. When you fire the gear-up or gear-down command, you

setobjecttexture to hide one set, and 'reveal' the other set.

So, there's only one anim per selection.

As a test, try this:

http://www.footmunch.org.uk/temp/rkt_osp.zip

This is in West->Air->Osprey Test, and is a 'kludge' applied to

the BIS Chinook. The main and tail rotor blades tilt forward

to around 45 degrees. It should be quite easy for someone to

take the selections in the Chinnie, and apply them to the

props on an Osprey model.

Not perfect, but it uses the 'built-in' stuff, so there's no

scripting overhead. Also, as it's based on a heli, there's no

need for VTOL scripting.

Sole - Sorry about the hi-jack. smile_o.gif

Hehe, that's quite similar to the original experiments I did smile_o.gif

But the problem of synchronizing the engine angle with angle of the rotors remains. So that's why I sticked with the fixed angle. A weird thing I've noticed is when I tested it with both rotors fixed in a 45 forward degree angle.... the Osprey raced backwards crazy_o.gif So I ended up giving the Osprey a fixed 10 degrees backward tilt in the config. rock.gif

Hehe, that's quite similar to the original experiments I did smile_o.gif

(Great minds think alike wink_o.gif)

Quote[/b] ]But the problem of synchronizing the engine angle with angle of the rotors remains.

Yep - you could either:

a) Have the 'motor-pods' spin around as well (ie include them

in the vrtule selection, but not in the staticka or blur). You

could probably 'hide' this by having a 'perfect' cylindrical

texture, so that visually they don't appear to spin.

or b) Tilt them via a script that senses the speed - sync

_would_ be hard, agreed.

I think someone should organize a competition, where modders would start with this osprey and would compete to see who could best recreate the osprey's movement. I bet there would be tons of great ways to script it and find ways around the limitations.

Another idea...

-Make 2 sets of animated props (one in the down position and one in the up position, using the vrtule 0,1,2,3 thingies).

-If you want to animate them from the top to down position, the upper pair dissapears and a static blur appears (so it's not turning but atleast it looks a bit better).

- Then when it gets at the bottom, the static one dissapears and the lower one appears.

- This is untested so I don't know how it will look honestly.

You could disable doing this with the engine off so you don't have to animate the props themselfs and only have the blurred props rotating.

Just an idea smile_o.gif

Why u dont releases your v-22 Ospreys not JUST as a Helicopter.... To the problem with the engines: forget it, just create 3 or 4 versions of the copper in varius camo and the engines in varios positions(one version as helicopter, the second as plane etc) = Your problem will be history...

Why u dont releases your v-22 Ospreys not JUST as a Helicopter.... To the problem with the engines: forget it, just create 3 or 4 versions of the copper in varius camo and the engines in varios positions(one version as helicopter, the second as plane etc) = Your problem will be history...

Why give up so fast? Maybe it is possible to do. A beta has been released, just play around with that until further advancement has been made on it. No need to be impatiant. smile_o.gif

Make 2 sets of animated props (one in the down position and one in the up position, using the vrtule 0,1,2,3 thingies).

Unfortunatly, a helicopter class can only have 2 props/rotors, unlike plane class vehicles.

Ofcourse, coding the aircraft as a plane would solve this, but I'd prefer to have helo movement over scripted vtol movement.

besides, as it looks on pictures, the props would smach into the ground if the engines would be in horisontal position and the plane/chopper/whatever on the ground..

thats why it has to take of and land with the engines in vertical position (or atleast not horisontal) ;)

now, that would look very stupid ingame if sole made the craft with engines in horisontal position and coded it like a plane..

the only bad thing with the current version is that AI seams to have some minor problems handling the plane ;)

Make 2 sets of animated props (one in the down position and one in the up position, using the vrtule 0,1,2,3 thingies).

Unfortunatly, a helicopter class can only have 2 props/rotors, unlike plane class vehicles.

Ofcourse, coding the aircraft as a plane would solve this, but I'd prefer to have helo movement over scripted vtol movement.

Darn, you are right, completly forgot that sad_o.gif

I blaim it on the fact that I just about only build airplanes biggrin_o.gif

Here's an idea....make two addons...one as a helicopter, the other as a plane.

Then create a script that transfers crew and cargo from the helicopter version into the plane version once it reaches a certain speed.  Of coarse the plane has to appear travelling at the same speed.  The reverse would also have to happen also to revert back to helicopter mode.  In addition I imagine that possibly an empty heli and plane version would have to be put on the map somewhere out of the way.  

But I'm not sure how well that would work in MP or even if this route would be possible without using external scripts in the mission itself.

But its just an idea I thought I'd toss out.

But to be quite honest, I'm pretty happy with the Osprey addon as it is.  I'd just like to see a door or rear ramp gun stuck on it and USMC version (in addition to the current USAF special ops version).  

Even if the props don't move I'm cool with that.  It still looks realistic, sounds cool, and both human and AI pilots can fly it without crashing to easily.  

Put in some rappelling scripts, an auto landing gear script, both USAF and USMC versions along with a door gun and it'll be extremely nice I think.

At least it'll be a temporary solution until OFP2 comes out one of these days or until someone figures out how to get past the limitations of the OFP1 engine.

Keep up the great work guys.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think you guys are thinking too conventional,what about rotating the main body of the plane while rotors remain stationary?

P.S. Great addon Sole,give us some human bombs with it next time tounge_o.gif

the a.i flying it differently i like it! i have started a small team deathmatch mission where some naval commandos hold a small island and then 3-4 c-22's comes in ala half-life and starts dropping down troops that are assaulting the naval commandos biggrin_o.gif they can take 1-2 rpg's laws sometimes wich is good to smile_o.gif

Some news ?? I hope the project isnt dead!!! If yes i hope an other guy will continue the author his work on the v-22.

greetings 23-down

hey everyone.

I've downloaded the file, but all that is in it for me is the screen shot... ive tried a few times, and still the same.

the file size downloads to 324kb's or whatever, but the screen shot is only 88kbs? I have no idea why its not in there.

anyone got any ideas?

mick.

Here is a movie example of a test osprey I made a long time ago (last modified date Feb '03) It shows working tilt rotors. This was a test model so forgive the non-existant detail /shape/ textures smile_o.gif

Osprey flight transition - 1.36MB

It uses setobjecttexture and only 3 textures to make the animated rotor. The hard part isn't the rotors, its making it fly like a plane and a helicopter.

Thats very cool mister_chef , It looks good to go .

so you have..... ugly model , nice flight sim (yours)

and..... nice model , ugly flight sim....(his)

the two need splicing together .

But again... there's the problem of how to get the plane to switch classes mid-game. That's why I believe the only solution is having two seperate models and to use a map editor script to switch in between the empty models.

I've seen halo scripts do this where you start off free falling in the game but in actuallity you're falling from a helicopter which in the blink of an eye was removed by a script. If someone could write a script that makes the entire crew and cargo of the CV-22 switch back and forth between two empty plane and helicopter CV-22 models in a split second, I think you could have a fully functioning CV-22. However it probably wouldn't work well in MP games. sad_o.gif

But I just hope that at the least people develop this addon the way it is now by just giving it a door gun and maybe some rappel scripts and the ability to carry cargo. Then of coarse we need a USMC version. I'm sure some of the USMC mod teams have their hands on this model and are developing it. At least I would hope so. Unfortunately however those mod teams, aside from Digital Grenade, have not released anything to my knowledge except for pretty screenshots.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>