Sign in to follow this  
-Ash-

Prague advice

I'm planning on taking my wife for a long weekend to the beautiful city of Prague next month, and was just kinda wondering if there was anyone here from Prague who could give me some useful tidbits of information (places to see, where to avoid etc) that would really come in handy. I've read guides, etc but there's nothing better than it coming from someone who lives there..

Would be greatly appreciated cheers! smile_o.gif

Avoid going to BIS's headquarters with her , something tells me she wont be interested .... tounge_o.gif

Avoid going to BIS's headquarters with her , something tells me she wont be interested ....  tounge_o.gif

Bring some candles and call it a romantic date...

biggrin_o.gif

I´ve stayed at hotel Troska, last time I´ve been there. Is pretty much in the centre and has nice affordable rooms to start trips from.

Well for sightseeing. Almost the whole inner city is wort a look, you can get free tourist guides at the tourist office and at hotel reception. It depends very much on what you want to see. There are several museums that could be interesting. The National museum if you are into nature and the military museum for the military history. Both are very much wort a visit.

Apart from that the city itself offers a lot of interesting places that just pop up in front of you when you tour the city on foot.

Thanks for the advice.. Basically just looking for a nice cheap place to stay and some nice restaurants/bars.. However the wife would like to see a lot of the architecture, etc and from what I've seen it has the lot smile_o.gif

Funnily enough as I write this, there is a programme on tv about Prague lol.. Looks very nice indeed.

How is the language barrier? Being a typical British tourist would I get by speaking English ok?

P.s The Hotel Troska? I just did asearch on Google for it and a certain famous guy popped up...Did Victor stay there or something? wink_o.gif

Me and my family made due fine with English in Prague, though asking something and getting a response, in the local, more "non-touristey" restaurants was bloody impossible. At one point, the entire restaurant staff was discussing our question in Czech/English with eachother tounge_o.gif

Alot of beautiful sights, would love to take a girl there someday meself. Go out at night, and enjoy the lovely view from one of the bridges in the city smile_o.gif

Good luck Ash, and have fun smile_o.gif

@ Oct. 12 2004,20:50)]How is the language barrier? Being a typical British tourist would I get by speaking English ok?

Like GoOB said, as long as you stick to the touristic zone, pretty much everyone speaks reasonable English. However, I can definately recommend to try and break away from the 'tourist parade', which is the linear route along which tourists march through the city like a bunch of sheep in column formation. Yes, this route will take you past all the picture postcard locations, but there's definately many other interesting things to see if one takes one of the sideroads.

If you don't mind communicating using your hands and feet, you can get all the same things here, while paying only a fraction of the prices you see in "Down Town", and not having to walk shoulder-to-shoulder with the next regiment of noisy German or American tourists wink_o.gif

I can definately recommend to try and break away from the 'tourist parade'

I really have to agree, there's nothing better than going to the pubs and restaurants that the locals go to. Not only will the food and drink be cheaper, but the atmosphere will be so much more unique.

Also, don't forget to take a walk along the Vlatva river wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yes, this route will take you past all the picture postcard locations, but there's definately many other interesting things to see if one takes one of the sideroads.

Ohhhh yes !

Bild-236.jpg

biggrin_o.gif

In my opinion it´s bad to visit Praha with your wife or girlfriend. There are just too many temptations that will get you into trouble biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

In my opinion it´s bad to visit Praha with your wife or girlfriend. There are just too many temptations that will get you into trouble  biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

This, I definately concur. There's so many good (and I mean WOAH! G-O-O-D!) looking women walking around in the 'regular' (non-touristic) parts of town, that it's yet another good motivation to prefer it over downtown.

Just don't mention this bit of info to your lady, and try not to stare ... too much wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Beautiful city.

Watch your wallet and the wife her pocketbook.

Also watch out for street money changer scams.

EDIT: Book 2 seats in the Black Light Theater (is that what it's called? are they still there?) for one evening.

EDIT: Book 2 seats in the Black Light Theater (is that what it's called? are they still there?) for one evening.

Yeah, but don't go to the one next to the Karl's bridge (it's famous but just a poor tourist show compared to others) - there's a much better one somewhere between the old jewish cementary and (very near to) the big plaza with the astronomical clock. It's been ages since I went there last time with enough time to stroll around but if you like classic music there's always some good concerts somewhere in town (also the opera is cheap and good).

Yeah, but don't go to the one next to the Karl's bridge (it's famous but just a poor tourist show compared to others) - there's a much better one somewhere between the old jewish cementary and (very near to) the big plaza with the astronomical clock.

That's the one! smile_o.gif

I've heard that there are a lot of stag night (buck's night or in other words a big night out on the beer before you tie the knot) going on there.. I know it's quite popular with people from the UK as the beer is cheap and the women are hot...

Any trouble?

As for going with the wife.. I know! I know!! It's gonna be hard not to luck, but what the hell!

Quote[/b] ]Any trouble?

Unless you hop around in the inner city shouting stupid paroles and doing ground salto´s, you´ll be fine.

BUT those tourists are not that welcome among resident girls.

It needs more than a head full of Gambrinus to get in contact.

I´ve never been in favour of getting myself drunk on purpose because it´s cheap...

Those are the guys who tend to wake up in a little sideroad with no wallet and a ringing head biggrin_o.gif

And it´s not that cheap to get heavily drunk anyway.

Depends on where you go.

The prices are medium rated but certainly not cheap anymore.

If your'e not travelling by airplane. Be sure to visit the Staropramen brewey, the stuff is actually CHEAP directly from the brewery. As opposed to the ridiculous prices in Sweden, tastes better too! Or that's what my folks told me tounge_o.gif

They brought home two cases of 33cl cans and three boxes filled with 70cl glass bottles, taking them across the border back into Germany felt a BIT iffy tounge_o.gif

Staropramen is great - I often go to a pub over here in Germany where they sell that, and I love it! Especially the dark beer is very, very good.

Little update.. Just booked our flight for November 2nd - 5th and now looking for a hotel in the Old Town/Wenceslas area (I have no idea which area these are in..)

I'm looking at a hotel at the moment which is in Prague 3, is this within walking distance to those 2 locations? Or am I better looking at a different area to be closer?

Would appreciate any advice biggrin_o.gif

Prague 3 is a former working class district, it's getting rehabilitated but some of the sights may not be too good. It's not too far from the historical center and doesn't have the backdraws the hotels in Prague 1 have (cheaper, less people roaming around the hotel, less noise). The historical center can be easily accessable from the 3rd district by foot if you have good walking shoes, but I think you could try to use the public transportation smile_o.gif the Prague tramway has its charm I think. Look into Prague 2, it may be a bit less cheaper than Prague 3, but it's closer to the historical center and has a few good places too

I´ve stayed at hotel Troska

Was the Hotel managers name Victor?

I've stayed in Hotel Roma:

http://www.motylek.com/roma/default.asp

Nice rooms (Hotel had a brand new SAUNA! If you know what it is) and if I can remember it right, it didn't even cost much back then.. (Around the Jan Huss day in July or was it June)

There are many places you can pay a visit to, like the Jewish part of the town and the Charles bridge.

But do not try to eat in those restaurants next to the Charles bridge smile_o.gif

We visited mainly in non-tourist restaurants or trattorios (Tought you can ever find a non-turist place in Prague - but a less tourist one)

Food was good and most of all, cheap.

Too bad I didn't find any address for BIS offices, tought they aren't in Prague are they? Another place to visit.

I can recommend the Savoy Prague (Prague 1). I stayed there for a shorter while (two nights) this spring. It was a bit expensive (~300 €/night), but it's quite close to Mala Strana and all the tourist sites. They had quite good food as well.

And yeah, it's a bit overpriced, so if you are planning a longer stay, it's probably worth looking at other alternatives.

I can recommend the Savoy Prague (Prague 1). I stayed there for a shorter while (two nights) this spring. It was a bit expensive (~300 €/night), but it's quite close to Mala Strana and all the tourist sites. They had quite good food as well.

And yeah, it's a bit overpriced, so if you are planning a longer stay, it's probably worth looking at other alternatives.

For that price I would rather spend my nights in a brothel biggrin_o.gif