Sign in to follow this  
Migebuff

AC130 Gunship

Multiple gun positions like Colonel Klinks?

No, sorry, thats not possible on planes. The pilot has to control the weapons.

Or hell, you could detect the bullet inside a fired EH and then use that bullet to execute your script.

Thx, its working now, the 40mm gun now fires 30 rounds per second  biggrin_o.gif

Heres a new screenshot for you guys:

http://img36.exs.cx/img36/4958/ac133.jpg

Will you always have to have the plane sideways like that? Or will the guns tilt?

Well thats how this beast gives fire support - to give the gunners the best FOV and doesnt need to do huge circles around the target area.

Night

Day

Edited pic but still shows the side pitching - if thats a word

AfghaniTornado.jpg

Very impressive wink_o.gif

I really cant wait for this baby.

And personly i dont like Hawks model, for some reason it looks weird shaded, just like the F-18 from the guy i dont remember atm.... crazy_o.gif

I sent the addon to ofp.info some minutes ago, you should be able to download it very soon.

@Pappy: Of course you can use the scripts, its very easy to add them to other addons, all you have to do is to change the paths in the scripts, for example: [] exec "\ac130\..." -> [] exec "\pap_ac130\..."

it would be better if the shelling get slightly more accrate

Depends if this addon shows the "old" (nam) or the "new" version of the Spectre.

Depends if this addon shows the "old" (nam) or the "new" version of the Spectre.

veitnam used an AC47, based off the C47/DC3. she has 3 -7.62 gattling guns mounted inside facing the left/port and fired out the windows.

the AC130 is todays gunship and features most of its armament outside mounted.

the C130, AC130, KC130, anything ending in 1-3-0 was NOT usied or even around in vietnam.

in name the cargo plane of choice was the C123 which is a baby 130 with 2 engines.

the C130, AC130, KC130, anything ending in 1-3-0 was NOT usied or even around in vietnam.

Not true, I swear I saw a herc in some vietnam documentary rock.gif

That's not true. C-130's were definitely used in Vietnam.

That's not true. C-130's were definitely used in Vietnam.

C-130A, C-130B, C-130E were all used in Vietnam.

Yep, the Herky Bird entered USAF service in December 1956.

(from fas.org)

Man, you are way, way wrong on that. The AC-130 was used in Vietnam.

C-130's have been around since the 1950's.

See for yourself

Quote[/b] ]The Air Force commemorated the end of an era 10 September 1995 with the retirement of the first C-130 aircraft to come off a production line. The aircraft, tail number 53-3129, went into production at the Lockheed Aircraft Co. in Marietta, Ga., in 1953 and was the original prototype of what was to become a long line of C-130 Hercules aircraft designed and built by Lockheed. The aircraft, affectionately dubbed "The First Lady," was one of five AC-130A gunship aircraft retired during an official ceremony. While the other four aircraft were sent to the Aerospace Marketing and Regeneration Center at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, the First Lady went on permanent display at the Eglin Air Force Base Armament Museum. The 919th Special Operations Wing's gunships, all around 40 years old, had reached the age of mandatory retirement.

More Facts

Quote[/b] ]Originally, C-130As were converted into side-firing gunships during Project Gunship II and the follow-on programs, Projects Plain Jane, Surprise Package and Pave Pronto. The prototype AC-130A (#54-1626), previously designated JC-130A, was tested at Eglin AFB, FL and in Southeast Asia during 1967. A short-nose Hercules, it was a basic C-130A with the addition of four 7.62mm General Electric XMU-470 Miniguns, four 20mm General Electric M61 Vulcan cannons, an analog fire control computer, a Night Observation Device (NOD) or Starlite Scope, a "bread board" computer, and a 20kW searchlight. Project Gunship II was a great success.

In 1968, seven more JC-130A aircraft were converted, although these were equipped with better Texas Instruments AN/AAD-4 Forward-Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR), a Singer-General Precision fire control computer, a Texas Instruments Moving Target Indicator (MTI), and other equipment to reach current C-130A production standard. These aircraft were deployed to Southeast Asia in late-1968. They were painted black overall and also known as "Plain Janes", to distinguish them from the "Surprise Package" and "Pave Pronto" AC-130As.

The single "Surprise Package" AC-130A was equipped with two 40mm Bofors cannons (in place of the aft pair of 20mm Vulcans), General Electric ASQ-145 Low-Level Light Television (LLLTV), a Konrad AVQ-18 laser designator/rangefinder, and a new AYK-9 digital fire control computer. This gunship conversion was an even greater success than those before it!

The "Pave Pronto" AC-130As were all based on the "Surprise Package" design, but featured additional equipment including an AN/ASD-5 Black Crow Direction Finder Set to find the emissions of the ignition system of Russian truck engines. These ten aircraft were first painted in the typical Vietnam three-tone camouflage scheme, but later the underside and the sides were painted black. All AC-130As often carried ALQ-87 ECM pods or SUU-42A/A Ejector Pods (starboard for flares, port for chaff) under the wings.

Because of C-130A airframe limitations, a new program was incorporated using the low-time C-130E as the basis for the gunship conversion. Eleven C-130Es were converted featuring the same equipment and armament as the "Pave Pronto" AC-130A, and become known as the "Pave Spectre" AC-130E. The first aircraft arrived in Southeast Asia in October 1971.

Wrong, the C-130 has been around for over 50 years, and the AC-130 was developed SPECIFICALLY for Veitnam. The Spooky being so sucessfull the army wanted more firepower and versatility, so the larger C-130 airframe was the obvious choice.

Quote[/b] ]The C-130 gunship was a new weapon system in an old airframe. Therefore, there were a number of firsts that one model or another chalked up for the gunship. Spectre was operationally tested at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., from June to September 1967. It initially deployed to Nha Trang, Republic of Vietnam Sept. 20, 1967, and flew its first combat mission Sept. 27. Its first truck busting mission was flown Nov. 8, 1967, and all A-model gunships were assigned to Detachment 2, 14th Commando Wing. In 1968, Det. 2 was assigned to the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing and became the 16th Special Operations Squadron. At that time the C-130A was renamed the AC-130A.

AC-130 history on Global Security

That remark was so funny it made me laugh  biggrin_o.gif It was used extensively in Vietnam, in both cargo and gunship versions. Some even airdropped 10.000 pound explosive devices to clear parts of jungles for landing zones. [

Blind Bat

Smithsonian on the Herc

A simple google search would have turned these up smile_o.gif

Excellent initiative and good work so far, but I think it's a shame that you are using Adammo's Herc, it's kinda outdated now...

Nah Adammo's Herc is fine and it can be updated easily.

The Lost Brothers mod updated his Herc a bit. It would be next to impossible to seriously use it using HAWK's C-130 model because the thing takes most of an island to turn where as Adammo's C130 is highly maneuverable.

In real life AC130's fly fairly tight circles around a target area so I think Adammo's model was the obvious and best choice.

What I'm disappointed in is that the AC-130 model uses a giant .50 cal gun to simulate both the 105mm and 40mm cannons.... also the missing engine sound was not fixed...I would have thought that it would be pretty obvious that the engine sound needed fixing.

Aside from that it works, except with the AI pilots flying the AC-130 it fires forward at targets (I'm assuming due to AI limitations).

Also when I try to fire it, it works well but for some reason my plane wants to nose-dive every time I try to fire the guns.

sad_o.gif

So when firing the guns I recommend having plenty of altitude.

At any rate, I think that this addon is very promising and I hope it will be developed with better 105mm and 40mm cannon models on the side of the aircraft along with a good turbo-prop multi-engine sound.

A flare script on it would also be good.

Anyhoo... Keep up the great work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

great addon! I got shot down when i flied a su-25 and against 5 of these "battle fortresses" biggrin_o.gif

In the next version it would be very nice if you added flares so that you don't get shot down so easily by AA missiles , engine sound? I didn't hear any engine sound in the c-130 this is based on but it would be cool if you could use martins dc-3 civilian aircraft engine sounds because they are really good smile_o.gif the aircraft got some great usability both in sp and mp i can really see the possibilites wow_o.gif when your rangers are pinned down in a village and the enemy tanks are moving in mercilessly you call for airsupport and voila you get a very nice show with explosions and stuff when the c130 comes in to the scene and wipes out everything smile_o.gif

anyone here played command & conquer generals : zero hour expansion? The usa side there got one of these and its pretty cool to find it in another of my favourite games tounge_o.gif

The Lost Brothers mod updated his Herc a bit.  It would be next to impossible to seriously use it using HAWK's C-130 model because the thing takes most of an island to turn where as Adammo's C130 is highly maneuverable.

In real life AC130's fly fairly tight circles around a target area so I think Adammo's model was the obvious and best choice.

Well the maneuverablility can be quick fixed i guess, that wouldnt be the problem.

But its very very promissing indeed.

The Lost Brothers mod updated his Herc a bit.  It would be next to impossible to seriously use it using HAWK's C-130 model because the thing takes most of an island to turn where as Adammo's C130 is highly maneuverable.

Have you not downloaded the latest version? Bonko the Sane released a version with fixed LODs and manoeuverability and various other little tweaks. Hop over to ofp.info and check it out  wink_o.gif

In all honesty, Adamo's Herc is just not up to today's standards. The model is approximative to say the least and the textures are just bad. Sorry for being blunt but that's just my opinion. The Lost Brothers' version (once again sorry for the bluntness) has appalling textures, what looks like rushed model additions/tweaks and like its predecesso, is outdated by today's standards, I mean look at Footmunch's aircraft. Even his earlier releases were of higher quality than Adamo's Herc. Hawk's (updated) Herc is very good and would be perfect for the job. Not only that but there is a more current gunship grey schemed version included.

I agree, the model needs replacement. Shouldn't be too hard for a decent moddder to add guns, sensor fairings, and antennas. It needs chaff, flares, and countermeasures. The armor level is too low, I doubled it to eighty. It needs a seperate gunner crewman. I added that as well. The gunner should have an optic view like the G8 Tornados, but facing the 9 O'clock direction, if posible.

It would be great if the interior was modified with the correct crew positions, gun structures, and ammo racks.

The GAU-12, and real ammo loads should be added. This information is available from public sources, like Global Security.org.

I observed the AI using the spectator mode, firing straight ahead. why doesn't the side firing script affect the AI?

Anyway, this release is a great initial effort, but it's obviously still a beta. Now, why don't the big guys get together, ask each other for help, and collaborate a little, so the AC-130 can be finalized once and for all? Long overdue, this addon.

i remember there is someone working on a AC-47 Spooky I with a working script, and someone else is planning to rework Adammo's model into a AC130 with that script, did anyone knows how it has been?

Yeah there's a script released a while ago which turns the CH-47 into an ACH-47 which was pretty good.

The players AH-64 Hellfires and rockets are gone, when an AC-130 is in mission.

I have reworked the model.. I used the V2 model and added animation flash to the rear barrel.

The outer skins are all retextured to a light skins color.

http://www.101st.org/drop/ac1.jpg

http://www.101st.org/drop/ac2.jpg

The larger pictures are listed above for more details

ac1a.jpg

ac2a.jpg

There is still a problem with the scripts only working SOME times in multiplayer..on a client / server setting...

Maybe someone can check them and give us an idea on how to fix it.

This is my model with the latest ac130 scripts by Migebuff

also using diff textures and now added flash to gun

which lights up the sky at night and flash for day shots

This includes all hi res textures for the cockpit

Also includes some actual model rework.. example the fuel

tanks are now more round instead of blockish

-Adammo