Sign in to follow this  
Balschoiw

Richard Burns Rally

Okay I tried both games in demo-mode. And Xpand is graphic-wise much better. Secondly, I know there is reason to disagree with me, but I think it even is harder than RBR. Maybe not in expert mode but definetly in all others. The tracks are far more detailed and the roads and the vehicule has better reflection, shadows and better sounds. Please bother to try both before judging.

I prefer Xpand.

Man do I disagree with you biggrin_o.gif

Graphic-wise Xpand rally has more advanced effects but it doesn’t look very real, RBR is more photo realistic.  When it comes to the tracks RBRs are more lifelike, there are more bumps in the road, ditches and so on, they are very well done. Xpand tracks are just too flat IMO.  When it comes to car handling and physics Xpand rally is far behind RBR. Sound is also better in RBR if you compare them to the real thing. The only thing I like about Xpand rally is the mod capabilities.

Download some in-car videos from real rally’s here if you have a fast connection and see how close RBR really looks/acts to the real thing: http://www.rallymovies.prv.pl/  (click on “Onboardyâ€). Xpand rally is not in the same league as RBR in my opinion but you are entitled to have your own opinion of course smile_o.gif

Graphic-wise Xpand rally has more advanced effects but it doesn’t look very real, RBR is more photo realistic.  

I agree.. RBR graphics has the same kind of feeling as the graphics in OFP. They might look bad for some but damn it can look real once you learn to love it.

I think that comparing RBR to Xpand Rally (or CMR) is a bit like comparing OFP to Battlefield 1942. RBR is a rally simulator, while xpand rally is just another arcade rally game. I was waiting for Xpand rally at one point, but after RBR it just feels boring and "old", just like most FPS games after OFP... Plus Xpand Rally infected my system with the Starforce trojan, so it didn't stay on my system for very long ;)

No No No, that is insultive to Xpand. It definetly is no arcadish game ... I admit it has these options too but in the ordinary campaign mode it is a serious racing game. Difficulty wise it is easier indeed but NOT unrealistic...

dont these look neat?

db_Xr34.jpg

db_Xr54.jpg

1pop.jpg

5pop.jpg

this guy has trouble

0046.jpg

and the price is 35 vs 40 Euro. Okay, not a great difference ... but still biggrin_o.gif

No No No, that is insultive to Xpand. It definetly is no arcadish game ... I admit it has these options too but in the ordinary campaign mode it is a serious racing game. Difficulty wise it is easier indeed but NOT unrealistic...

Its not quite as bad as the Colin games when it comes to car handling and physics but its still more of an arcade game then a simulator (even in simulator mode) IMO. I would definitely not put Xpand Rally in the same category as games like Grand Prix Legends, Live For Speed, GTR (based on press demo) or RBR. Those are what I call “serious racing gamesâ€.

I am not trying to desperately defend Xpand here... but I must say when playing the demos I did not find great differences in terms of surface-feeling when comparing the 2.

It might be that the RBR demo does not give the real campaign mode feeling but in terms of road surfaces I think Xpand was even slightly tougher.

But I guess you people have better experience with RBR. However I surprised of how hard Xpand is. I hope some of you give the demo a chance a try it out.

I might not have much experience in real racing simulations but I definetly know the arcade games... and it doesnt fit into that cluster.

It´s a matter of taste. I tried Xpand and I do think it´s arcadish. RBR is much more complex to handle and the roads are developing their own character with all those bumps, holes and worn out tracks.

Anyway, when you surf some rally fan sites, where people who are actively driving rallys or are part of rally teams who for example drive spycars at real rallys do take part in discussions about rally games and do actually play them you will see that they all rate RBR over any other available rally sim right now.

Xpand may have eyecandy, but once you drive RBR from the perspective it´s meant to be played you will see that all that eyecandy vanishes when speeding a Japan hallway slightly wider than your car with 140 and have to concentrate all senses on the working car under your ass.

All that little driving details from change of weight in curves to backdropping suspensors that will give your car unexpected life makes RBR the number one sim atm.

That´s a fact even active race drivers applaud.

Xpand however is good for fast entertainment but in no way a sim comparable to RBR.

...I´m off testing my modified setup in france...damn tarmac makes too much unfunny things to my car...

I have tested xpand now and I have to say that you can't really compair it to RBR. XP is closer to CM4 than RBR. Sure it has some eyecandy but as Bals pointed out you don't actually look around when driving, at least not in RBR. All focus is on keeping the car on the road. XP has no chance against RBR when it comes to realistic car handling.

People usually points out that the cars are too similar to each others and that the different surfaces all feel the same but RBR doesn't try to make them very different just to show that they are different, only arcade games have huge differences in cars and surfaces. The hockey game for Nintendo with small, fat and long players comes to mind. The difference between the players was huge but I doubt anyone would consider it more realistic than the latest NHL games from EA sports. Infact the differences are very clear when you push the cars to their edges.