Sign in to follow this  
Balschoiw

Richard Burns Rally

For all the Rally freaks out there who haven´t heard of Richard Burns rally:

Get it now !

It´s the most realistic Rally simulator I have seen up to now.

I played CM 4 before and I really liked it, but once you get into the cars here, in this simulator you will know that CM4 was nothing in physics or realism. It´s extremely hard to keep the cars under control in Richard Burns Rally.

This time you "feel" what 300 HP means, what bumps mean, what different surfaces mean, what it means to break down from 180 km/h before a curve. Your car will go dancing at you if you don´t treat the gas pedal and your brakes like a shy woman.

I spent the first hours of driving by collecting myself in the woods after I took a curve a bit too fast and overturned into the woods...

It´s fun for those who like realistic sims. I don´t think there is a more realistic sim out there that can compete with Richard Burns atm.

The gfx are not that shiny as in CM4, but who the f*** cares when you have the chance to drive like that. biggrin_o.gif

I even had problems with the embedded race driver school. Damn...a lot of fingerworks  biggrin_o.gif

Anyone who tends to keep his foot pressed on the gas pedal should first try the demo.

It´s not arcade, it´s complicated Rally reality.

I do love the game. And after a week of driving I´m getting better, slowly.... biggrin_o.gif

You´ll experience mad photographers on the roads, deer, changing weather, tricky ground changes, jumps...

Here are some pics:

RichardGCS0032.jpg

RichardGCS0061.jpg

RichardGCS0070.jpg

RichardGCS0084.jpg

The car setup is something for engineers, you can adjust everything from tyre pressure to throttle points....

It´s extremely comprehensive.

A sidenote though. A wheel for controlling the car is almost necessary. At least I will buy me one. The game is worth it. And all that key hitting in order to remain in control of the car is really stressy biggrin_o.gif

For more info check out

Richard Burns Rally

Enjoy !  blues.gif

They are nuts biggrin_o.gif

They stand on the street and make a picture and then run away...and yes you can hit them wich is bad for you as you get a little timeout and in champion mode a helo comes for his rescue biggrin_o.gif

Same for your copilot by the way. If you have a hard accident in champion mode, he get´s extracted by helo...and the rally is over for you.

It´s fun...I mean...it´s funny to hear some pain whenever you hit and obstacle. The copilot is making sounds then smile_o.gif

You can crash into random deer also... I met deer directly at my 12 at 160km/h. Well... crazy_o.gif

There´s also a lively community at work right now. There are several carskins and physic mods available right now.

here's some stuff I have made for RBR. Great game, I just hope there will be some tools to make new stages/cars, or some official expansion that would add some really long stages and maybe some 80's rally cars.

here's some stuff I have made for RBR. Great game, I just hope there will be some tools to make new stages/cars, or some official expansion that would add some really long stages and maybe some 80's rally cars.

RBRdll... lol biggrin_o.gifblues.gif

Yes I just found out that Kegetys is into this game also biggrin_o.gif

Did you transport the OPF dll to RBR ?

so kegetys is not only OFP god, he's divinity of many communities! smile_o.gif

I've got Colin McRae (ray?, however it is) 3, and i thought it was good at first, but compared to Rallisport Challange 2 (and 1 for that matter), it really does just deserve to collect dust.

So could someone tell me, is Burns anything like McRay? In terms of that it's more realistic than, e.g. RS2?

Quote[/b] ]So could someone tell me, is Burns anything like McRay? In terms of that it's more realistic than, e.g. RS2?

Just check out some of the vids Keg has on his site. I guess they pretty good demonstrate the differences biggrin_o.gif

It´s the most realistic rally sim for me right now, although it has some physical deficits like tires can´t blow and such...

Check out the vids anyway. They´re great biggrin_o.gif

It's a great game.. The game is pretty hard so you just need to start by getting around the track in one piece and slowly build up the speed.

rbr01.jpg

GB is rainy as it should be smile_o.gif

rbr03.jpg

Mountain roads in France

Nice to see we have some other RBR-players in here smile_o.gif This is a great rally simulator, I been playing it alot the last couple of weeks. This is by far the most realistic rally game up to date. You really need to keep your concentration all the time or you will end up hugging a tree.  

I really hope they sell enough copies to make a sequel or at least an add-on. I too would like to see some older rally cars (some 500hp “Group B†cars maybe biggrin_o.gif ), some longer stages and some super special stages were you could race against others (1vs1) over internet.

I've been playing this for a couple of weeks and I must say this is the best rally sim on pc. This feels like driving a real car compared to the hovercraft physics of Colin McRae series. I wish the stages would be longer though.

Quote[/b] ]I wish the stages would be longer though.

Right now I´m pretty happy that they are not longer biggrin_o.gif

They are longer than CM4 stages anyway. I guess an average of 5-6 minutes, right ?

There are some short ones, like the french ones, but they are packed with really heavy curves and take a lot of work, while the faster paced tracks in average have a greater length.

Well....I´m playing it for only one week now and I´m satisfied.

Scandinavian flics still drive tears in my eyes when they work smile_o.gif

Kegetys, I just tried your RBRdll. Great work as usual! smile_o.gif Some of the features in you program should have been in the game from the beginning IMO, like fast forward/slow motion in replays. Thanks for making this program!

Looks nice and might deserve my money. When someone makes a Paris-Dakar rally for it. Best Rally in the world

wink_o.gif And Paris-Dakar for PS2 was shit wink_o.gif

Sorry if I hijacked the thread smile_o.gif

Got my copy today. Thank god for internet.

It is better than CM (any) but not as hard as Rally Trophy. Stages get to 10 min long (overkill). I like rally school. When I got used to driving, it got pretty easy. So far I went through GReat Britain and Japan and was on the top place with over a min. ahead of everyone.

So far I went through GReat Britain and Japan and was on the top place with over a min. ahead of everyone.

Now do it with realistic damage and harder difficulty level. smile_o.gif

I played the demo and IT REALY IS AWESOME, I played with keyboard but I drove pretty awesome times (canyon). Really really awesome games.

But I would have to buy a steering wheel and all the other equippment! sad_o.gif

So far I went through GReat Britain and Japan and was on the top place with over a min. ahead of everyone.

Now do it with realistic damage and harder difficulty level. smile_o.gif

Well,

I drove with "real dam" at first for like a 100 m. smile_o.gif

When I get used to it more, I will.

great game, damn hard though, the roads aint wide enough hehe.

i use a ps2 controller smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]When I got used to driving, it got pretty easy.

Haha that´s what I thought when I finished my first rally season on amateur level.

It´s a huge difference with higher difficulty settings. That´s where reality starts. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]what does a steering wheel cost me?

I dont remember, is there multiplayer? That would realy be fun!

New one with FF like Microsofts FF wheel or MOMO (my choice if I get one at Ebay) are around 130 Euros. You shouldn´t buy a cheap one...they are often not fully supported and and crappy in handling and cheap built.

Check Ebay...prices range from 80 to 150 Euros for handstiched wheels and Alu pedals.

Rallies aren´t driven simultaniously,m that´s why there is no simultan multiplayer. But there´s the option of hot seat, wich means you invite a friend and you play on same comp. Not sure though if there will be the same for internet oneday.