Sign in to follow this  
Tactician

WGL Mod 4.12 Update

The only thing I wish is that this mod would add some of the new units in it to make it better. M901, HMMVV AT, new HMMVV variants, etc.

Hi,

I hope your wish - and not only yours - it's mine either ;) - will come true soon. Thunderbird84 (the guy who made FlashFX Unit Replacement pack) is working on such a config. Lets wish him good luck!

Kind regards,

voodzia

Where do one find campaigns or singelmissions for the WGL mod?

Bw

Abbe

Quote[/b] ]Where do one find campaigns or singelmissions for the WGL mod?

Bw

Abbe

Unfortunatly I dont think there are any unless someone has done some conversions. (This is possible, however I do not have a copy of any)

WGL is a "League Mod", meaning all the missions for the WarGamesLeague were designed for team v team action.

There are some conversion notes in the WGL forums if you so desire.

I believe you have to register on this forum,

Squad Engine WGL Forums

i'll try the mod once more, last time i tried it for me it somehow didn't work, so i hope this time i'll manage to get it working.

just as a question, the wgl mod comes with its own config, or?

what about that v.5 beta on your board, is it official wgl release or not? had no time to read it

I am working on (and have been working on) WGL 5. It is currently in the final stages of BETA (I hope).

I have listenedto all of your input and made as many changes to accomidate as much as I could - explosions, more equipment, tougher vehicles, etc.

It will be available as a non-BETA soon.

Where do one find campaigns or singelmissions for the WGL mod?

Bw

Abbe

there a guy converting the Campain too WG

he has placed a small demo there to try out visit the forums at WGLCTI.com i just posted a mirror too the small demo ive yet too try it out.. so unsure how it plays

First hello and sorry for my really bad English,

but now to my problem with the WGL mod:

I could not believe that this wgl-mod is realistic, because the most weapons are a way to strong!

Take this example: The AI and other human players can destroy your M60 or T-55 MBT only with a lousy .50 caliber machinegun. So why we need ATGM`s or tank-rifles if a .50 can do the same job? This shows realism? No way! Have you ever played a tank-sim? Even there you need one .50 magazine to penetrate a BMP from the side or rear... This Mod is less than nothing

The next thing in this mod is that an old T-55 can disable a M1A1 or even a M1A1 HA with a single shot, this is really unbelievable. I`m a fan of Steelbeast and in this sim a T-72 or T-80 couldn`t penetrate the Armor of an Abrams with the first shot.

And the tracers are also very unrealistic, especially for mg`s, in reality only every 5th round is a tracer round.

I don`t know if it`s an limitation of the ofp engine but the AH-1 doesnt have Fire And Forget TOW's, the TOW is manually guided by the gunner until impact...

Don`t be angry to me, see it as a improvement suggestion :-P

Quote[/b] ]The next thing in this mod is that an old T-55 can disable a M1A1 or even a M1A1 HA with a single shot
Quote[/b] ]I`m a fan of Steelbeast and in this sim a T-72 or T-80 couldn`t penetrate the Armor of an Abrams with the first shot.

i've seen photo of an m1 abrams that aws disabled by an rpg rocket in the side armor...the roket went IN the tank.... tounge_o.gif

and a hit in the track stop a tank..unmoving tank=dead one...usually crew bails out...

'bout the M2., i never tried to attack a tank with it tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And the tracers are also very unrealistic, especially for mg`s, in reality only every 5th round is a tracer round.
if i well understood in ofp tracer are for all rounds, or none cant say 1/5 round have tracers sad_o.gif

Hallo again!

Yes, I know that you can knock out an Abrams on the side and rear and top. And I also know that WGL tanks use DU ammunition but the 100 mm gun of the T-55 is a little bit out of date, and Russian ammunition isn`t known as high quality projectiles and those guns aren`t really accurate. This was the reason why the americans bought this excellent German 120mm gun. Another problem is that you have no Laser Range Finder or Ballistics Computer for the Abrams in OFP. Read some infos at Tank-forums or elsewhere...

I hope OFP-2 is getting better :-) unclesam.gif

Another problem is that you have no Laser Range Finder or Ballistics Computer for the Abrams in OFP. Read some infos at Tank-forums or elsewhere...

This is a game engine problem, not a problem with WGL. It has been discussed many times over, but making a realistic BCS on any vehicle within OFP is not possible, at least that's what has been said by some of the top addon makers, scripters, and I think I recall some of the original developers stating this before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A tank's BCS is a very complex piece of electronics, and to simulate one in OFP would require some serious scripting that I don't see ever being made possible. I also have been a member of the Steel Beasts community, and having played that game you should recall that the game engine was based solely on the armored aspect, and the infantry aspect is almost non-existant. OFP on the other hand is a total infantry simulator, but unlike other games it has added vehicles like armor and air to better provide a more involved joint-arms platform. But because OFP was based "primarily" on infantry combat, there were a few features in armored systems that either were not possible, or just didn't see much need in adding. A 100% working BCS is one of the features that would require a lot of work that would be used less often, and I think it's better to improve on the infantry-based aspects more than the air or armor.

Take the Abrams for example. The BCS system uses a variety of sensors that are all tied into the computer system to help calculate and adjust for the next shot. There are sensors that detect vehicle speed, direction of movement, crosswind sensors, barrel temperature sensors, etc. When you start moving your turret, the gunner's crosshair will begin to move as well, using all the mentioned sensors to calculate where the next round will go and to adjust the sight based on this. Making a laser rangefinder that works in OFP isn't difficult at all, and has already been done. But making the BCS work like the real thing is just too much work, if possible at all. That's why it still hasn't been done yet, and will not likely be done.

If you want a very realistic armored warfare sim, then Steel Beasts is a better choice. If you want a realistic air combat sim, maybe try Falcon 4.0 or one of the other various sims. But for Infantry-based combat, OFP is the only way to go in my opinion. And you will never find another game like OFP that adds support for all vehicle types either. WGL has done some serious improvements for OFP, and as a prior soldier I can say that using WGL enhances mission realism better than anything else I've seen so far. There might still be a few issues even in WGL that are not so realistic, but most of those are only because of game limitations.

Regarding being able to disable or destroy a tank using a .50-caliber in WGL, I have not tested this myself. But I think this is a game problem, not WGL problem. I have seen many times where a PK machinegunner has shot and killed me while I was driving a BRDM, must be a damn good shot to place rounds from an automatic weapon through the viewport windows. And how many others have been shot and killed as a helicopter pilot by a tank MG, even while flying at about 200m altitude and at about 120-180km speed, even though your helo has minor damage? I sure have, many times. Very unrealistic, but it happens. Hopefully OFP2 will eventually offer fixes to some of the problems seen in the game, but until then I have to agree that WGL is as best as it gets.

Quote[/b] ]First hello and sorry for my really bad English,

but now to my problem with the WGL mod:

I could not believe that this wgl-mod is realistic, because the most weapons are a way to strong!

Take this example: The AI and other human players can destroy your M60 or T-55 MBT only with a lousy .50 caliber machinegun. So why we need ATGM`s or tank-rifles if a .50 can do the same job? This shows realism? No way! Have you ever played a tank-sim? Even there you need one .50 magazine to penetrate a BMP from the side or rear... This Mod is less than nothing

The next thing in this mod is that an old T-55 can disable a M1A1 or even a M1A1 HA with a single shot, this is really unbelievable. I`m a fan of Steelbeast and in this sim a T-72 or T-80 couldn`t penetrate the Armor of an Abrams with the first shot.

And the tracers are also very unrealistic, especially for mg`s, in reality only every 5th round is a tracer round.

I don`t know if it`s an limitation of the ofp engine but the AH-1 doesnt have Fire And Forget TOW's, the TOW is manually guided by the gunner until impact...

Don`t be angry to me, see it as a improvement suggestion :-P

Welcome to the world of modification. First and foremost, most of the things we have done for WGL are a hell of a lot more realistic than you have with default OFP. There are serious game engine limitations - all we can do is work with what we have. The reason you can kill a tank with a .50 cal is because OFP uses a "point system" that is independant of weapon type. If you want to take the time, you can destroy the best armor in the game with a 9mm pistol. Each pistol shot does, say, 1 point of damage per round. After 800 psitol rounds, a tank will explode. Is this realistic? Hell no - but it is something that is hard coded into the game. Does it take more 0.50 cal rounds to kill a tank in WGL than in default OFP - hell yes. It is definately not a perfect system, but it does work. Also, if you are able to kill a tank with a heavy machine gun, that tank crew really sucks - because they would have had at least a few good, solid seconds to return fire (more than likely it would be tens or seconds).

Second, this is a game that civilians play. As this mod was developed we had to keep a balance between realism and gameplay. When we got "too realistic" people started complaining that is was not fun. So, we had to find that balance which allowed casual gamers fun while providing serious simmers something with which they could use for much more "realistic" training and play. Again, it is not a perfect solution, but it is a solution that I am comfortable with.

As for this comment:

Quote[/b] ]This Mod is less than nothing

I suggest you don't waste your time on it then - go enjoy something else. WGL is not for everyone - it never has been. In my opinion, it is the most realistic variant of OFP that is available to the OFP customer.

Quote[/b] ]Read some infos at Tank-forums or elsewhere...

If you had any idea how much research we have done, you would never say something like this. Additionally, I am a Marine and I have done this shit for real. In no other MOD (or off-the-shelf game) will you find as much attention to reaslism as you will in WGL. Again, if you don't like - don't use it. I am not trying to turn anyone awway or even discourage people from using this MOD, but it is all about personal preference - if you want this, use it, if you don't - then don't.

Lastly, and most importantly, WGL is and always has been very responsive to feedback. If you have something valuable to add, I will always listen. The fifth version of WGL will be released soon. It is the cumulative result of all the feedback we have received over the last few years. We do listen and we do care what the end-user wants. We cannot make everyone happy, but we do our best to make the majority of uses satisfied with their WGL gaming experience. When realism matters - choose WGL. When pretty models or visuals matter - choose something else (I highly recommend BAS, ECP, EECP, etc. for they produce excellent work in the area in which they specialize). WGL is about making a team-based infantry simulator as realistic as possible while still realizing that it is a game and that people play it to relax and have fun.

Thanks again for your feedback. Semper Fi

Yes, you`re right! Most problems depend on OFP itself...

I think this point system is the biggest problem for the OFP vehicles. This was the reason why my Patton was taking out by the .50 MG

When WGL 5.0 will be released? Can you send me a list with all changes from 4.12 to 5.xx.

I`ve played the 5.xx BETA but it seems that my "Puter" is to slow, is someone here who has the same problem?

Best Regards,

bm02_ofp

Yes, you`re right! Most problems depend on OFP itself...

I think this point system is the biggest problem for the OFP vehicles. This was the reason why my Patton was taking out by the .50 MG

When WGL 5.0 will be released? Can you send me a list with all changes from 4.12 to 5.xx.

I`ve played the 5.xx BETA but it seems that my "Puter" is to slow, is someone here who has the same problem?

Best Regards,

bm02_ofp

The main pionts of what Phaeden has done:

* reworked values so that body armor makes a difference against small arms, but it is not a massive difference (no body armor - 1 shot to chest, body armor medium - 2 shots, body armor heavy (SF guys) - 3 shots to chest).

* tweaked a crap load of vairables within vehicles to better simulate the realistic, yet playable, MOD we are seeking

* added new variants to vehicles (this is what is still broken)

* adjust helo startup to be short and include more realistic startup sequence (it is about twice as fast now)

* vehicles are stronger against small arms

* added armored variants of HMMWVs and BRDMs

* adjust bleedout/damage scripting to more closely replicate real life (there is now a chance that if you are hit, you will be stunned for a few seconds - this will make it less likely that you shoot someone (not killing them) and they spin and fire on you killing you instead)

* edited textures for vehicles (some)

* fixed SVD LOD error (I think)

* dramatically reduced tracer visuals (they are there, but just barely) on small arms

* vehicles are brought more up to date (like the M1A2 SEP, and the M2A3)

* added new island (have a few minor p3d files to tweak before it is ready)

- 4x the size of Gaia with no lag

- Massive towns (not really cities (but larger than the "city" on Gaia))

- rolling hills terrain type

- very very difficult to land navigate as there are no easily identifiable features

- town structures are typically based on 3rd world country slum development (fairly random building placement and spacing)

- all buildings are enterable

- all buildings react like real world buildings (walls are not bulletproof (unless you hit metal or heavy wooden structures within the walls))

- buildings have multiple floors

- realistic airport structures (hangers, etc)

* reworked 95% of visual effects so there is no more "instant on" effects

* tweaked a lot of the "behind the scenes" scripts to run faster

* tweaked some of the radio commands

he can update this thread if he has added anything

biggrin_o.gif

HOOAH! Sounds good guys, can't wait to try it out. biggrin_o.gif

Two questions though, while I'm here. Regarding the new "body armor" improvements...Is it set just for the torso, or is it also possible to implement minor added protection to the head as well, but not the face (Helmet area only)?

And second, when you said "added new variants to vehicles", what did you mean? Such as multiple HMMWV variants (M998/M1025/etc), or do you mean just with different armor levels or other config changes? Just curious, but if you aren't ready to release more info on that part yet, it's cool.

The best of best mod for OFP. Look forward to the new 5.0. Thanks for your great work.

Will the WGL 5.0 mod be more AI friendly, or will it always be human only for online leagues ?

Sounds interesting... especially the new environment.

Have you made a whole new building set for your island?

Will the WGL 5.0 mod be more AI friendly, or will it always be human only for online leagues ?

What do you mean by saying "more AI friendly"?

In several engagments , i made with the WGL mods i noticed the AI did not tried to fight, it seems it had some problems for spotting enemies and things like that (camouflage values too high ?), AI on my side or enemy AI.

I would appreciate to see the AI could target well the armored vehicles, in the past with WGL i couldn't count how many times rockets were mising their targets.

A lot more than with BIS weapons.

And if it was possible for AI to use some objects (rucksacks mortars etc...) without having the mission maker forced to script it, it would be really great.

I have not played all the beta updates to WGL though, but those problems were present in 4.12

what with the last two, there from another game rock.gif