Sign in to follow this  
BoweryBaker

a good flashpoint mission should make me feel:

What do you people out there, no matter what you do, feel that a good flashpoint mission should make the player feel like? I think it should make a player feel refreshed, satisfied, and ready to take on the challenges of the real world again.

I think that it should be the feeling whenever I play Call of Duty at the Red Square or watch EATG's first scenes.

A good mission should make you feel:

- hopeless (at least in resistance missions)

- chaotic (what!!?!? WTF is going on? Can either be very good or very bad. The player needs information on what is going to happen but when he does it, it's going to be like hell)

- tired (once you finnish a mission you should feel tired and pleased with yourself. A long mission is allways good. OUTRO IS A MUST!!)

- again! again! (it can't be another take the town mission. You wanna grab the player and make him go "wow! that was so fuckin amazing" in the end and after a day he will go back and play it again and again and again)

A good mission should make me feel I am there living this soldier's life. The mission should have "characters". It's hard to pull off in a single mission, but doable in a campaign (play CWC, RH and RES and you'll know what I mean).

Hi,

A good OFP mission should in my opinion make the player feel part of a larger whole, a cog in the machine if you like, not Rambo saving the world on his own. While the player must be set objectives to accomplish, he should not necessarily be entirely at the center of things. The AI should to some extent be given certain tasks to do irrespective of what the player himself is doing. That enhances the sense of being involved in a war, an event that lies largely beyond the control of a single soldier. There should be lots of other things occurring, whether within the player's own view or even just suggested by radio traffic.

Regards,

Sander

There are several ways to pull that off. You can do small vignettes i guess you'd say where the soldiers are holding enemies at gunpoint or a truck with captives are in the back being hauled somewhere. Moving stuff is just going to add to mission lag though unless you got a high end pc and just don't care for the lesser folk.

Lag can be avoided. Loads of setpos, createvehicle, deletevehicle, benchmark and drop (using drop effects for example when simulating a M113 cause less lag I think) . So with a skillfull scriptor you can make the biggest combined arms assault mission lag free.

isn't it weird how in ofp certain people may be good at one thing or another as far as editing goes? Do ya'll know anyone who can do it all? I think Kegetys can.

I like the thrill when the ai totally catches me by surprise. There are several things to do that though:

- alarm goes off

- flares fired into the night

- random patrols in forests

- etc etc

)rStrangelove @ Oct. 01 2004,23:00)]- random patrols in forests

especially that is really ugly crazy_o.gif

A good misson should make you feel:

scared

worried

no longer in control

what ever skills at playing the game cant help you surive

and the ai are thinking the same as you and want the same as you DEATH.

haha some fun stuff to read here smile_o.gif and gettin some nice ideas to biggrin_o.gif i think a good mission is also going to inspire me to make my own missions and try to make it better or a how i would have wanted it tounge_o.gif but a good mission is supposed to haev any or all of the above stuff from the other posts also smile_o.gif

@ Raedor:

Especially patrols that are really ugly.

Patrols especially can get really ugly.

As it stands i thought you were commenting on his writing skills or some image. Carry on.

A good mission should make me feel.......

Warm and loved smile_o.gif

er..... I mean..... challenged and immersed in the experience!

I like long intros and outros, but with a lot of action and stuff! like watching a movie.

i dont like the missions when u r alone/alen with your squad; than i dont like the close combat (distance less than 20m) in opf cause of engine limitations/bad anims.

A good Flashpoint mission should make me feel like I'm rediscovering OFP. I want to feel like I'm in a world I've never been in up to this point, and discovering new features and things to do while being kept on my toes. I want to feel like at times I'm flying by the seat of my pants, I'm put into an area given new objectives and assignments, and they are constatly changing to meet the overall priority of the whole mission, not just your platoon, squad, and/or fireteam.

Keep me on my toes, keep it exciting, and instill a sense of adventure and discovery as the mission progresses.

When did you last feel excited in a mission? I'll start. In the mission I am still working on for Laser, I get excited every time I play it because of those sounds, the surprises, the sounds, the reality of war and the dust, the nice intro. All that together excites me.

One that is believable and has a believable background. Challenging but not frustrating-- allow alternative approaches. Not having control over allies but also not having them rely on you for survival.

A good mission makes me feel:

-angry or sad if I lose but not frustrated so I give up

-relieved afterwards

-anxious about an upcoming encounter but not dreading

-immersed

-lucky if I survive or complete the objective

-like I want to shout encouraging phrases to the AI