Sign in to follow this  
MrZig

Coon huntng (Raccoon)

Hello, I've been really intrigued lately by coon hunting, and I plan to do it sometime (hopefully soon.)

Has anyone here tried it before? And if so, would you mind telling us some of your stories? And what kind of hound(s) you had?

And I want to buy 2 redbone hounds for it, is that a good choice?

Thanks smile_o.gif

have u just posted this just because of fox hunting thread?

Have you tried hobby hunting? i have and its kool.

No hounds for me, just a camp fire to attract e'm and an empty beer bottle to throw at them when they get too close.

Quote[/b] ]have u just posted this just because of fox hunting thread?

Why would I post a thread just because of the fox hunting thread? These are 2 completley DIFFERENT threads, one wants to BAN fox hunting, one (mine) wants stories about raccoon hunting.

Quote[/b] ]have u just posted this just because of fox hunting thread?

Why would I post a thread just because of the fox hunting thread? These are 2 completley DIFFERENT threads, one wants to BAN fox hunting, one (mine) wants stories about raccoon hunting.

ahhhh but they are both about hunting animals right

Can we not get this into a flame war?

I'm asking if anyone here has tried coon hunting, and if so, if they can give some stories for us to read.

Can we not get this into a flame war?

I'm asking if anyone here has tried coon hunting, and if so, if they can give some stories for us to read.

sorry

True story:

An elderly couple lived next door up at my cabin. They had this biggish cat that would stay out all night and hunt mice. One night, the cat got into a fight with a raccoon, and the old man comes rushing out of the house, with a shotgun. So the raccoon is now running away, while the cat was returning home... It was dark out, and he didn't have his glasses on, and mistaken his cat for the raccoon. wow_o.gif

How you gonna shoot the 3rd cutest thing in the world?

[imghttp://www.rmpbs.org/learn/frontier/images/i_wwest/racoon.jpg[/img]

sad_o.gif

sad_o.gif  mad_o.gif Dam hunters  mad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

edit: please don't quote images. smile_o.gif

Hunting helps with keeping population steady, if you think about it.

I don't see a problem with it, especially if it get's in your trash.

Whatever floats a persons boat.

Hunting helps with keeping population steady, if you think about it.

I don't see a problem with it, especially if it get's in your trash.

Whatever floats a persons boat.

I haven't seen a raccoon in my life. I seen alot of deer. Shoot them.

I'm on the verge of getting a warning level.

Please, don't fucking trash my thread, I'm asking for HUNTERS to give me their HUNTING STORIES, if you don't like hunting, DDON'T REPLY.

This is not a poll about whether you like hunting or not, this is a thread asking for hunting stories about coon hunting.

Quote[/b] ]An elderly couple lived next door up at my cabin. They had this biggish cat that would stay out all night and hunt mice. One night, the cat got into a fight with a raccoon, and the old man comes rushing out of the house, with a shotgun. So the raccoon is now running away, while the cat was returning home... It was dark out, and he didn't have his glasses on, and mistaken his cat for the raccoon.

Holy shit, that's harsh man.. sad_o.gif

Not absolutely sure about coons but i believe they are nocturnal animals.  I used to hunt animals at night as thats when they are most active.  Get yourself a high powered lamp aswell thats also what i would advise.  Then go for a walk with the hounds on leashes near their food source.  Easy stuff really though i have never done coon hunting myself its very similar to hunting the local wildlife.  Also comes in handy if you follow similar rules on camouflage and leave your kit dirty from muck so as they cant smell you or see you coming.  And i wish you good hunting  unclesam.gif .

Hmmm racoons? Can you eat them? Or only to keeping population steady? rock.gif Btw keeping population steady with hunting them down is necessary because humans hunted down the natural hunters down before (like wolfes, bears).

That's why humans have to keep the population steady in most cases.

In some cities the racoons search during the night time food in refuse bins etc.

Perhaps you can dissect some refuse bins smile_o.gif

Finally someone who doesn't bash my thread crazy_o.gif

Yeah, you go hunting at night for them with a lantern, it sounds awesome.

Best of luck to ya too.

Quote[/b] ]Please, don't fucking trash my thread, I'm asking for HUNTERS to give me their HUNTING STORIES, if you don't like hunting, DDON'T REPLY.

Replied. I love hunting. Just not cute looking animals.

Quote[/b] ]This is not a poll about whether you like hunting or not, this is a thread asking for hunting stories about coon hunting.

We can read.

Why hunt animals if you can't eat them? I understand population but there aren't alot of racoons. Go hunt insects with a baseball bat no one likes them and they suck.

As the owner of a Maine Coon mix (thats a cat), I can see the how the cuteness factor would be a turn off to killing them - BUT, for those who live in areas where Racoons live and know how annoying and destructive they can be....

I say - go for it, but don't do it the pussy way.

Forget about the dogs for one thing, and don't be a wuss and bring a shotgun or .306 coon hunting. For coon hunting to be a true challege, you need to have the proper equpiment.

Here's what to do - go down to your local K-Mart and buy the most powerfull crossman pelet gun they have. Powerline models will push a pellet at about 675 fps. That is just enough firepower to kill a raccon, and other small vermin.

Now you'll have a real challenge. A body shot would most like just hurt the coon. The only way you'll be able to kill one is to get a clean headshot - and you'll only have one shot, as pellet guns take as long to load as a breach-loading muskets.

I've never Killed a racoon myself, but have knocked down gophers and jackrabbits with a pellet gun. The sastifaction level will be much higher if you use a pellet gun - after all it will be one shot, one kill. tounge_o.gif

Can someone out there that has coon hunting stories to tell reply? Not these anti coon hunting people?

If there are none, then by all means lock this thread/discard it, but let it be open for... I dunno.. 4 hours to see if there are any? Please.

Quote[/b] ]Here's what to do - go down to your local K-Mart and buy the most powerfull crossman pelet gun they have. Powerline models will push a pellet at about 675 fps. That is just enough firepower to kill a raccon, and other small vermin.

Howabout a .22? I hear those work pretty well.

Quote[/b] ]Here's what to do - go down to your local K-Mart and buy the most powerfull crossman pelet gun they have. Powerline models will push a pellet at about 675 fps. That is just enough firepower to kill a raccon, and other small vermin.

Howabout a .22? I hear those work pretty well.

Yeah, but the impact force of a .22 is huge compared to a .177 caliber pellet gun. A .22 rifle spits out a bullet at around 1600-2000 fps, and the bullet is much heavier than a pellet.

With a .22 a body shot will rip into a coon, and the coon wont have a chance.

A .22 is the next ebst thing to a pellet gun. If you insist on using a .22, I'd recommend removing the clip and only chambering one round - force yourself to make a good shot the first time. biggrin_o.gif

I don't have a clip, my .22 IS a single shot lol smile_o.gif

Go away, hunters, we don't like your kind around here! mad_o.gif

I hate the Taliban, go away, we don't like your kind here.