Sign in to follow this  
feersum.endjinn

Skydiving

Well, being a f***ing newbie on topic with just a few jumps, I nevertheless am bit curious if there's any other OFPers who jump...

I was bit suspicious at first at whole "jump or die" attitude, but after my first jump I just had to admit it's bit like religion biggrin_o.gif You either do it or you don't... And it doesn't help at all that all women are staring at you all wide eyed after telling few jump stories at the bar tounge_o.gif

Skydiving is a pretty common hobby these days.

There was a skydiving club at my college, and I know many people who have done it.

I personally probably wouln't do it, not because I am scared or anything. I just think it is just another lame "thrill ride" for people with boring lives to let themselves know they are actually alive.

Skydiving is a pretty common hobby these days.

There was a skydiving club at my college, and I know many people who have done it.

I personally probably wouln't do it, not because I am scared or anything. I just think it is just another lame "thrill ride" for people with boring lives to let themselves know they are actually alive.

Sure.

Me? Nope. Scared of heights.

Military parachuting... biggrin_o.gif

Klick,red....greeen...go...hip...go...hip...snap

I don´t like being tossed out of a plane with full equipment and that is fortunally over...I hope biggrin_o.gif

But steerable chutes and a jump from the lowered back of a Transall is fun. Well at least I need my interval jumps to keep my license. And I do enjoy them.

I've gone. It was fun. Wasn't seeking a thrill, just wanted to try it. Weirdest part was watching everybody jump before me - they step out of the plane and just dissappear. Very unnatural to see. smile_o.gif

there's a skydiving club at my college. it's expensive though and i haven't heard great things about it's safety. i'll probably go to another place to do it with some friends. we've been planning on doing it for a while now but none of us have any money.

I think it's something I will never, ever do smile_o.gif

The people I rent my apartment from are aged 65 & 61 and they jump most weekends, like 15+ times in one day, I think they are admirable, brave and crazy biggrin_o.gif

I do it every day! biggrin_o.gif There's really no other feeling like it in the world and I highly recommend everyone to try it at least once, if not twice because you won't really remember much from your first jump (your adrenaline is usually going so much from fear, like mine was). It's an awesome experience and once you've done it, you won't look at the sky the same way!

Skydiving.......one of the many things on the 'to do before I die' list....... biggrin_o.gif

Yeah maybe one day i'll be drunk/stoned/whatever enough to do something like that...

I bet it's fun to puke at such a height...

Skydiving.......one of the many things on the 'to do before I die' list....... biggrin_o.gif

Probably you should keep it pretty far at the end of that list - you never know tounge_o.gif

I've never ever done it..

But it seems like quite an exciting experience and like ozanzac said.. one of the things on the "to do before I die" list wink_o.gif

So how much does it cost? Guess having a plane take you up is what makes it so expensive. Do first timers get attached to a pro, who pulls the cord and you're just along for the ride?

So how much does it cost?  Guess having a plane take you up is what makes it so expensive.  Do first timers get attached to a pro, who pulls the cord and you're just along for the ride?

I guess you either have to jump with a pro, or learn how to jump alone first...

Wouldn't be very smart to just let everyone jump out of the plane and yell DONT FORGET TO PULL THE CORD in the end...

So how much does it cost?  Guess having a plane take you up is what makes it so expensive.  Do first timers get attached to a pro, who pulls the cord and you're just along for the ride?

It Depends on the dropzone... usually about $15-20 per lift at civilian dropzones. First timers can do a "tandem jump" where you're attached to an instructor who deploys the parachute and lands you safely. In order to do it on your own you have to undergo either a Static Line Transition or AFF (Accelerated Free Fall) course, both of which cost time and money. If you're just looking to experience some freefall at 125+ mph, then definitely go tandem.

Tandem jumps are a lot more expensive than solo jumps. My tandem jump was abour $200 if i remember correctly. Solo jumps are about $20-30, but you have to be certified to do so.

So how much does it cost? Guess having a plane take you up is what makes it so expensive. Do first timers get attached to a pro, who pulls the cord and you're just along for the ride?

Prices for course are usually around 400-500€ in Finland, which usually includes club membership for a year, and couple of jumps. After that student jumps are usually 20€ per jump. First jumps are either static line (cord attached to airplane pulls chute open as you jump) or jumpmaster assisted (jumpmaster throws drogue chute after you which pulls parachute open), and you jump alone. There are other training methods like Accelerated FreeFall (AFF), but it's not that common around here as there aren't enough trained instructors...

Some people do their first jump as tandem jump where you have just hour of training or so and then you are attached to jumpmaster and just basically enjoy the ride, but as it costs 200-300€ for one jump, you might as well go for a full course.

Howstuffworks.com has pretty good article: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/skydiving.htm/printable

Slightly OT but for UK forum users, did that skydiving murder in England ever get solved? I lost track of the case after leaving England and it was quite interesting smile_o.gif

Edit: Answered it myself with a google, turns out it was most likely suicide, freaky......

Murder ruled out in skydiver death

Edit2: Errr or not....

Police dismiss skydiver suicide claims

Make up your minds crazy_o.gif

There is no reason to jump out of a perfect good aircraft tounge_o.gif

I probably wouldn't do it just for the thrill of it in civilian life. But if/when I'm in the military, if I get the chance and have to train or do it, I guess I would then wink_o.gif

Probably you should keep it pretty far at the end of that list - you never know  tounge_o.gif

I think the oldest ever skydiver was about 99 years of age.......don't want to leave it that late. The ticker might not be up for it by then wink_o.gif