Ironsight

Enthusiasts Eye Assault Rifles as Ban Nears End

In the Washington Post today:

Quote[/b] ]Enthusiasts Eye Assault Rifles as Ban Nears End

Report: Makers Taking Orders

By Dan Eggen

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, September 8, 2004; Page A03

Gun manufacturers are gearing up for the scheduled expiration next week of a 10-year-old federal ban on assault weapons and are taking orders for semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity ammunition magazines that may soon become legal again, according to a report released yesterday.

The report by the Consumer Federation of America, which favors greater regulation of the gun industry, concludes that "assault weapons will be more lethal and less expensive" without the ban and argues that police "may be forced to adopt a more militaristic approach" as greater numbers of firearms flood the market.

The report, based on interviews with gun industry officials and on reviews of advertisements and other sales materials, comes in the waning days of a federal ban on semiautomatic assault rifles, which has been in place since 1994 but is set to expire Monday unless Congress intervenes.

The Senate approved a renewal of the ban earlier this year, but the provision was part of a broader bill that included other measures opposed by the White House. House GOP leaders have given little indication that they plan to back an extension of the ban, and President Bush -- who said during the 2000 campaign that he would support an extension -- has not pushed the issue.

Full article

Why the hell would you need an assualt rifle for everyday use? I know people like to collect weapons, but they can deactived and/or not come with a bonus 100 round CMAG.

I'd hate to work in a off license or ban in the US. Worst you would ever get here is a sawn off! Bet the police are well happy with this, and have got their orders with dupont in early.

Meh, soon enough there will be some crazed shootout with assault weapons, loads will die, and then they will be banned again.

Well, I know that community is eagerly waiting for this ban to end. They also fear that the major wuss (Kerry) would prolong the ban, that's why they will vote against him.

They also fear that the major wuss (Kerry) would prolong the ban, that's why they will vote against him.

Oh yeah, any man who doesn't want people running around with assaultrifles with high-capacity magazines has to be a real silly woman crazy_o.gif

They also fear that the major wuss (Kerry) would prolong the ban, that's why they will vote against him.

Oh yeah, any man who doesn't want people running around with  assaultrifles with high-capacity magazines has to be a real silly woman  crazy_o.gif

If you think that a simple ban will make bad guy stop using assault weapons, then you're wrong.

Not in this country.

Oh yeah, any man who doesn't want people running around with assaultrifles with high-capacity magazines has to be a real silly woman crazy_o.gif

If you think that a simple ban will make bad guy stop using assault weapons, then you're wrong.

Not in this country.

It won't prevent the criminals from getting their paws on weapons but it will prevent a load of retard to fuck around with "overpowered" weapons and prevent the wanna-be heroes to do justice by themselves.

Not in this country.

Ofcourse not, Sweden have fairly strict weapon regulations, and still badguys are running around with automatic firearms.

Assaultrifles can be misused, even by people certified to own them. I look at the assaultrifle ban the same way I look at the law against driving when your'e drunk. But hey, wanting people to not drink and drive must make you a wuss crazy_o.gif

You have to realize though the people who buy and colllect those kinds of guns don't commit crimes.

The vast majority of crimes commited with guns involve cheap ass pistol, usually stolen.

Bottom line you have no reason to fear the guy with 300 rifles and other guns. He is obviously a collector. You need to fear the bum who has one cheap gun, he's the one who's going to mug you.

There is always exceptions of course. You don' punish every one though because of exceptions.

In my opinion, "big guns" should be reserved to professionnals ....

Let's take a simple exemple : I don't feel the need for a fucking Caterpillar. I just have a couple of shovels and they do their jobs quite nicely. If I need something bigger and more efficient, I'll just go ask to professionnals

Not in this country.

Ofcourse not, Sweden have fairly strict weapon regulations, and still badguys are running around with automatic firearms.

Assaultrifles can be misused, even by people certified to own them. I look at the assaultrifle ban the same way I look at the law against driving when your'e drunk. But hey, wanting people to not drink and drive must make you a wuss  crazy_o.gif

One thing I say about Wuss here and that's it. No offtopic here.

Wuss, is not capable of making decisions. He withdrew from every decision he had made so far. Beggining with Nam war and ending in every vote in the US Congress. I don't think US needs such a wuss. It needs a leader who can take responsibility for his actions. And I am not talking about Bush.

END of offtopic. Wanna discuss some more -> other thread.

You have to realize though the people who buy and colllect those kinds of guns don't commit crimes.

The vast majority of crimes commited with guns involve cheap ass pistol, usually stolen.

Bottom line you have no reason to fear the guy with 300 rifles and other guns. He is obviously a collector. You need to fear the bum who has one cheap gun, he's the one who's going to mug you.

There is always exceptions of course. You don' punish every one though because of exceptions.

The guy owning 300 guns should do it in a strictly reglemented way.

What the fuck is going on ? Guns aren't toys for men.

Well, yes they are.

You obviously haven't met the real enthusiast.

Well, yes they are.

You obviously haven't met the real enthusiast.

The real enthusiasts treat their guns as collection items, not as fucking toys.

I don't fear the guys with 300 rifles, I fear the concept of it. One man with an arsenal to equip a small militia is quite sick in my opinion. Each to his own ofcourse, but as Ran said, collectors tend to not want to use their weapons or collectibles in general.

And I don't see how disallowing the purchasing assaultrifles could be considered a punishment.... Atleast in Sweden the government tries to take public safety in to the equation when passing new laws, or issueing bans.

A recent debate on "public safety" involved racing motorcycles being used on regular roads, which are turning out to be a huge problem in Stockholm. With motorbikes passing police cars at 300+ km/h into central Stockholm.

EDIT: Added paragraph.

What are you talking about?

Having 300 guns for me is less sick than having 300 postal stamps. I would fear the stamp collector more.

The guy with 300 pieces knows more about gun safety than a guy with just one gun.

You guy would deprive us from everything that is fun in this world: cars, bikes, guns. You need to interfere with one's freedom is more dangerous than any gun collector.

I don't have anything against gun collectors as gun are a part of our history and thus need to be conserved. But they have to get a special status for that. There's a difference between a real collector and a red-neck owning a dozen of various weapons in his garage.

I hope the stamps/guns comparaison is some kind of irony.

Having 300 guns for me is less sick than having 300 postal stamps. I would fear the stamp collector more.

what? so are you saying 300 stamps are WMDs? crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The guy with 300 pieces knows more about gun safety than a guy with just one gun.

here's another phrase that resonates in shooting community.

"fear the man with one gun because he really knows how to shoot."

Quote[/b] ]You guy would deprive us from everything that is fun in this world: cars, bikes, guns. You need to interfere with one's freedom is more dangerous than any gun collector.

a firearms is not FUN! it's a tool and what you do with it is fun/tragic. having a M16 does not make you more of a man, but what you do with it. equating cars and guns is just a bad logic.

speaking of individual freedom, there is a big difference and undoubtfully hardline between individual freedom and society's well being. it only took some asshole with a Bushmaster to kill so many people. just look at Beslan. as soon as the hell broke loose, local residents joined the fight. result was catastrophic chaos, not knowing who is terrorist and who is not.

from thrid person's perspective, you may never know who is able to handle guns safely and not go on a rampage. that's why there is strict gun laws.

yeah like the two guys who held up North Hollywood Bank of America.

I don't have anything against gun collectors as gun are a part of our history and thus need to be conserved. But they have to get a special status for that. There's a difference between a real collector and a red-neck owning a dozen of various weapons in his garage.

I hope the stamps/guns comparaison is some kind of irony.

If someone wants a gun he'll get one. Bans lead nowhere. If you want to change sth - educate. Only way. don't quote Sweden a country that is as different from US as France is different from China. No comparison, really. Different culture and people.

Ok, the game is on and i'm gone. smile_o.gif

If someone wants a gun he'll get one. Bans lead nowhere. If you want to change sth - educate. Only way. don't quote Sweden a country that is as different from US as France is different from China. No comparison, really. Different culture and people.

yes and no. In Japan, there is no private firearm ownership, thus far less guns in civilian hands(they do have shotguns for hunting, but is very restricted). one of the worst civilian shooting they had was when a father with a shotgun took his children hostage. had there been civilian posession of say some full-auto rifle, the result could have been worse.

what? so are you saying 300 stamps are WMDs? crazy_o.gif

Ralph, you're a stamp collector?

BTW: Having 300 weapons doesn't sound like a collection to me but more an obsession  crazy_o.gif

And where do the stolen guns come from? Perhaps the criminals are getting more stolen assault rifles without the ban. rock.gif

I think most of you are misunderstanding the issue. Most of these "banned" weapons are already available in a less threatening form (No large magazines or bayonets). This whole ban was nothing but asthetic, and it didn't affect what was already in circulation(So called "Pre Ban" items). Therefore this ban going will not affect anything but the price of "Pre Ban" stuff.

Half of you posting seem to think the term "Assault Weapon" means a Full Auto Ak47 with a 100rd drum mag. Full auto weapons require you to acquire a very expensive permit, so these assault weapons are technically nothing more than a semi auto deer rifle with a larger ammo capacity.

Quote[/b] ]And where do the stolen guns come from?

Central and South America.

if i wasn't in such dire need of a new gaming PC, i'd go and buy a Barret M468 or a Smith and Wesson Model 500.