Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

OFP-MANIAC-MAP-Locator

Problems we will face

1. adequate maps

2. best way to mark location. (e.g. too many in prague )

3. Interactive way of showing name while mouse-over.

So which programs could we use? I tried to simply put it in a self-running ppt but there is no such thing as "show text when mouseover".

Why not make a flash movie with a magnifying lense that can be moved over global map and by clicking will zoom in the area under the magnifying lense. Technically no problem and it would solve the issue of too many players in little spots.

Anyway, I will not let myself trace on weekend expeditions biggrin_o.gif

What if my girlfriend finds out oneday ?  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Edit:

Quote[/b] ]3. Interactive way of showing name while mouse-over.

Well...if you´redoing it in a htmleditor or flash you have the mouse-over function that can display the name onece the mousepointer goes over the needle or spot. Easy.

...cool idea  biggrin_o.gif

i have notice on some maps its writen Yugoslavia or Yougoslavie...so  crazy_o.gif

please make it Serbia instead...

Quote[/b] ]Problems we will face

2. best way to mark location. (e.g. too many in prague )

Quote[/b] ]Cant you place numbers instead of pins? Then you dont have any problem with dots covering a country..

With that I mean that if there are 5 people in prague then the digit 5 is on that city.... rock.gif

Hit_Sqd_Maximus came to me and asked me if I could do it for you guys. I know a lot about Flash, actually more than I care to admit. If you guys want I can create the basic template and show someone via teamspeak on how to update it with people as time goes on.

It should take me a few hours to make the lay out and create a blank template for you to update. What your wanting is actually very easy to create in Flash 5.

Please provide me with the graphics you want me to use and be as detailed as possible as to what you would like it to look like. Maybe make me something in photoshop if you are so gifted with that knowledge.

- Ack (Charlie)

acknowledge105@yahoo.com

Sounds like a great idea, but I have absolutelly no skill in these kind of things so I can merly put my pinn.

...cool idea  biggrin_o.gif

i have notice on some maps its writen Yugoslavia or Yougoslavie...so  crazy_o.gif

please make it Serbia instead...

Yugoslavia = Serbia + Montenegro

Could someone support my idea with productive measures? crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif well basically can someone help me putting it into action.

*waves hands*

'Huhu!'

Nobody reads my posts? rock.gif

this

would be a better sized map for my eyes. The pin is maybe too big. keep up the work! smile_o.gif

Huh, 230+ kByte... as long as Trekkie isn't complaining... wink_o.gif

Anyway, public alpha 2:

http://www.ofp-zone.de/bastler/map/europe2.html

I'm just preparing the other maps (africa, asia). And yeah, there's a mouse-over effect, I named that "tooltip". Try the pins on Europe...

Great idea! But these pins are pretty ugly.... wink_o.gif

BTW, where can I sign up for my own pin on the map? tounge_o.gif

This is a nice idea Albert. Here's an example of what it could look like. The right part of the pin was a little cut out, but that can be fixed.

mapper.jpg

smile_o.gif

Yugoslavia = Serbia + Montenegro

...just not Yugoslavia  wink_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

though these two states are more like U.S and Canada...and they should be marked and name as separate states no matter on thair real name... crazy_o.gif

Ok, here's the complete set of maps. There are three pins, two in Germany, one in Israel... biggrin_o.gif

Perhaps someone could generate/render similar pins with a higher resolution? So we could use different sizes for different numbers of maniacs per continent on the world overview page...

http://www.ofp-zone.de/bastler/map/map.html

The scott's just bring the whiskey.

No they don't. They bring the whisky, no e. The Irish bring the whiskey.

Gah.

Anyway, sound plan chaps, and I would like to voice my support for the flash-idea. Much easier to implement the roll-over menus etc. Plus, it's much more pleasing to the eye.

Having said that, I must admit that my Flash skills are limited to making tacky propaganda films, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help. Count me in as moral support.

add my pin!

netherlands (between germany and UK) , in amsterdam  smile_o.gif

Done! smile_o.gif

Um, why is Gandalf's pin in the North Sea?  tounge_o.gif

My personal opinion is that the pins would look alot better without the white box. But anyway, good job Blaster!

smile_o.gif

Bastlers maps are pretty well done. Lets hope those maps provide enough space.

But before all of you post your location, just wait till he tells us that we can start.

(ps: europe might get a bit tight)

The pins should definetly be without the white backround. And if there are amany ofp players in the same town, there should be only 1 pin, and a number besides the pin showing the amount of ofprs...

smile_o.gif

nah! One pin? I think it looks funnier if you see tons of pins. There are not too many people living in the same town anyway, or am I wrong? smile_o.gif

i can make the white from the pin-pic transparent... would you like to keep the shadow ?

and shall i make the pin a bit smaller ?

edit: funny, it already is transparent when i open it in asp3 rock.gif