Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

British Forces Mission

I justfinished mt latest mission.

First Light

Its an action packed adventure with Paras fighting the Reds.

You have to rescue a stranded Para anti Tank team on Everon.

Here's the addons needed. Please don't be put off.

Editorupdate or upgrade which ever it is.- Anywhere (ofpec.com)

Dpm pack - here http://www.project-ukf.com

Jam2 - Ofpec.com

G8 Tornado, - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=5266

My Puma - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?sekce=unofaddons/aircrafts

Here's the mission,

[edit] See my last post [edit]

Issue.

If you have trouble with editor update then change it to editor upgrade.

Cheers and enjoy.

Ugh....downloading from Freewebs is like running uphill through mud...but I'm sticking it out to test the mission. I'll make a full report later tonight smile_o.gif

Ugh....downloading from Freewebs is like running uphill through mud...

Excellent description!

So here's a mirror, courtesy of The FAQ. smile_o.gif

And here are my suggestions:

<span style='color:red'>WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS</span>

I thoroughly enjoyed this mission but I didn't get to complete it because one of my units tossed a grenade at the camp, destroying the documents.

May I suggest scripting all grenades being dropped from AI units (but not the player), with a message before that no nades are to be used or something similar. This should trigger when within a nade throwing radius of the base.

Change the name of the mission file to FirstLight.pbo. I would also recommend that you ask a forum moderator to change the name of this thread to "British Forces Mission - First Light". Don't be shy. smile_o.gif

I would replace the Tornado with plain old artillery scripting. You don't really get to see this beautiful addon in the mission, so why force people to download it for something that can be scripted instead? rock.gif And limit the number of calls you can make. 2? 3? 4?

Your use of radio and voice chatter is excellent. The cutscenes are good, though I didn't think Blondie's "Call Me" was a song that fit the mood.

I'm curious. My squad commander got shot and killed early on. Was this intentionally scripted? I couldn't figure who was shooting and the enemy seemed to have disappeared afterwards. ghostface.gif

I'll slip in a quick word here about the PUKF addons. This is the first time I've downloaded them and they are great! Keep up the great work, PUKF team! But remember, the best way to show off your addons is with missions. wink_o.gif

Issue.

If you have trouble with editor update then change it to editor upgrade.

What is the problem?

Everyone should only be using Kegety's Editor Addon V1.1 or General Barron's later upgrade to the Editor Addon.

No earlier editor upgrade files are necessary and they should be deleted from OFP's \Addons and/or RES\Addons folders, as per the Editor Addon's ReadMe.

Well, I didn't finish due to some college commitments (will soon) but here are a couple of points...

I argee with Avon about the music....IMO some metal would be a better choice, but that's just me wink_o.gif

Other stuff....

- parachuting into the area doesn't really seem necessary as there's ample room (from what I saw anyway) to set the bird down. If you unass it on the ground you're also able to move out quicker as choppers have a nasty tendancy to scatter their jumpers.

- I think that sniper was definitely intentional and I see why it was done, but frankly it wasn't as jarring an experience as it was intended. Oh well, there goes my incompetent AI commander...so much the better.

- The enemies down by the end of the road to the northeast seemed to preoccupy my AT guys...they wasted their ammo on the long, ineffective shot rather than deal with the BMP2 that charged me next to the forest....and I don't like the fact that I have 2 AT rockets in this whole squad. Going into enemy territory that's supposedly rife with armor, heavy and light, would usually prompt me to take as many AT weapons as possible. But in any case, an assload of enemies seem to be on guard waypoints and run right for me after that sniper started shooting.

- the idea of the airstrike is nice but since you can't see the Tornado, why bother with the addon? I agree that a generic script might be better/simpler.

- some gunship support would be nice though...I don't know how you do things across the pond but if this was a US unit pinned down there would be Apaches overhead in no time to keep the Reds at bay until the rescuers could reach them....just a thought, maybe you'd swap the Tornado for choppers of some kind....dunno, starting to ramble here tounge_o.gif

Will continue this later...got stuff to do at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will change the Blondie song at the start I think. I put it in because the guy is caling for support. Call me sounded right atthe time, but on reflection I think a British band would be better.

What's all this about changingthe mission name .pbo? I'm not sure I get what your talking about.

I will definatly do something about AI chucking grenades in the base. I'll just make a script that vanishes them.

The AI officer was supposed to die. I thought that having an officer would be annoying. I'll see if I can juggle the mission around a bit and make the playerthe commander. That way you'll geta weapon selection which would kill two birds with one stone. No stupid AI Rupert and the ability to take more AT weapons. The weapon selection is there. Youjustcan't have it at the moment.

The Tornado stays. I want some air support but due to there being no decent British helos out yet, I'll stick with the Tonka.

I'll re-submit the updated mission shortly.

Cheers guys.

- parachuting into the area doesn't really seem necessary as there's ample room (from what I saw anyway) to set the bird down. If you unass it on the ground you're also able to move out quicker as choppers have a nasty tendancy to scatter their jumpers.

Can't you see that Architect wants to show off his Euro Puma addon? wink_o.gif

It's very, BTW. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]- I think that sniper was definitely intentional and I see why it was done, but frankly it wasn't as jarring an experience as it was intended. Oh well, there goes my incompetent AI commander...so much the better.

Jarring? No. Nice touch? I think so.

Quote[/b] ]- some gunship support would be nice though...I don't know how you do things across the pond but if this was a US unit pinned down there would be Apaches overhead in no time to keep the Reds at bay until the rescuers could reach them....just a thought, maybe you'd swap the Tornado for choppers of some kind....

There would be little left for the player to do. rock.gif

Another option: skip any sort of bombardments and let the player work a little for a victory.

I will change the Blondie song at the start I think. I put it in because the guy is caling for support. Call me sounded right atthe time, but on reflection I think a British band would be better.

And I was just about to suggest "Don't hang up". tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What's all this about changingthe mission name .pbo? I'm not sure I get what your talking about.

You distributed the mission file with the name dpmpackmission.Eden.pbo.

The file name should be FirstLight.Eden.pbo for easy identification.

Quote[/b] ]I will definatly do something about AI chucking grenades in the base. I'll just make a script that vanishes them.

OK.

Quote[/b] ]The AI officer was supposed to die. I thought that having an officer would be annoying. I'll see if I can juggle the mission around a bit and make the playerthe commander.

There's nothing wrong with this bit of drama in the mission. Keep it.

Quote[/b] ]That way you'll geta weapon selection which would kill two birds with one stone. No stupid AI Rupert and the ability to take more AT weapons. The weapon selection is there. Youjustcan't have it at the moment.

Giving the player a weapons selection can be done whether the player is the commander or not.

Quote[/b] ]The Tornado stays. I want some air support but due to there being no decent British helos out yet I'll stick with the Tonka.

Really not worth it.

My last suggestion was to drop the fire support altogether and make the mission that much more difficult.

- parachuting into the area doesn't really seem necessary as there's ample room (from what I saw anyway) to set the bird down.  If you unass it on the ground you're also able to move out quicker as choppers have a nasty tendancy to scatter their jumpers.

Can't you see that Architect wants to show off his Euro Puma addon? wink_o.gif

It's very, BTW. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]- I think that sniper was definitely intentional and I see why it was done, but frankly it wasn't as jarring an experience as it was intended.  Oh well, there goes my incompetent AI commander...so much the better.

Jarring? No. Nice touch? I think so.

Quote[/b] ]- some gunship support would be nice though...I don't know how you do things across the pond but if this was a US unit pinned down there would be Apaches overhead in no time to keep the Reds at bay until the rescuers could reach them....just a thought, maybe you'd swap the Tornado for choppers of some kind....

There would be little left for the player to do. rock.gif

Another option: skip any sort of bombardments and let the player work a little for a victory.

1.  I never said do away with the chopper, I just said jumping out of it isn't really necessary IMO - but it is a nicely done bird.

2.  My thinking was that gunships might have been more effective at supporting the pinned guys - as long as they stayed alive.  Throw in some AA soldiers or a Shilka and they may not be much help at all.  Even if you were to toss some of those things in to counter the Tornado, I find that high-flying jet addons are almost totally safe from MANPADS or AAA fire.

Hell, gunship support may have given you MORE to do had you been ordered to find and destroy AA systems before they could arrive to help out...but I'm beating a dead horse here.  If there aren't any good UK choppers out, then I wouldn't put them in if it was my mission either.

That was my reasoning for suggesting it, that's all.

Ok guys I've given the mission a bit of a shake up. Its basically the same though. All the fixes can be seen in the readme.

Cheers for the input and I hope to hear what you suggest next.

If anyone can provide me with a mirror for this version, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. biggrin_o.gif

I'm having major problems with trying to host the mission. I hgave lost access to my Freewebs account because I installed spybot search and destroy.

Anyone know a place thatI can upload it to. it 5.3 megs.

Until I get the issue sorted the mission will be unavailable.

sad_o.gif

I'm having major problems with trying to host the mission. I hgave lost access to my Freewebs account because I installed spybot search and destroy.

Anyone know a place thatI can upload it to. it 5.3 megs.

Until I get the issue sorted the mission will be unavailable.

sad_o.gif

Just PM'd you.

If your still looking for a host it add me to msn and I'll upload it to OFPCentral.

Cannot run mission missing addon something called rad_ita or something.

I got all the required addon for it rock.gif

The version you are trying to play is seriously outdated.

You should wait until the new version is released.

My advice if you still want to play it though is to un install the Tornado and then re-install it.

rad_ita sounds like its to do with that addon.

The version you are trying to play is seriously outdated.

You should wait until the new version is released.

My advice if you still want to play it though is to un install the Tornado and then re-install it.

rad_ita sounds like its to do with that addon.

No thats not it.

I don't know what it is if its not that then Ace combat.

Is anyone else having the same trouble?

If so I'll take a look at it.

Fantastic news, loved the last version so itching to play this one.  Just a shame that I have a days work to do first.

A great mission using the excellent PUKF units, keep up the great work The-Architect!

edit - having trouble downloading...any mirrors?