Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Attention Addon makers

What kinda plan is workable?

KISS - Keep it short and sweet

Forget about lengthy projections, cost estimates, tax deductibles cos NO ONE can ever tell the future, only bore the hell outta suits.

1.If u currently are a Mod leader or have a team with u within your state or province or country for some time with real work done, - get them together and convince them of VBS's vision - a win win situation for all and make a buck outta your efforts.

2. Find out your state's military and security agencies needs and weaponery, who's the head honchos and have their contacts ready.

3. Send an email to VBS and let them know who u are and convince them u are in it for the long haul, not a bunch of armchair biz analysts who after 3 months stab one another out of the enterprise spoiling the image of VBS.

4. Work out the terms and understand fully the commitment of a biz deal with VBS, prove to them that should the govt agencies gives the green light to implement vbs system, u and your team are ready to undertake the work assignment within schedule - for govt agencies will not listen to u bunch of kids nonities but will listen to VBS, a proven leader with years of experience in ofp1, xbox and stringent US military contracts. VBS should be able to wing the deal for your first few assignments if they already do not have such deals laying on their overflowing tables already.

5. Subsequently, as u prove u are capable of handling the assignments and can be trusted to do a good job, more contracts will be awarded to u and time to think expansion and hiring of more staff.

6. Do remember 3d virtual worlds are not created overnight and will take time, therefore unless u have a huge team, VBS will have to listen to other teams as well and i believe for the US market alone will need at least 300 such teams operating as VBS franchise on their own to support the various arms of the US green machine!

7. The good thing about virtual worlds are that they are NOT limited only to real world but to the fantasy world limited to a person's imagination as well. Depending on how big your organisation may be, just using vbs engine would be enuff to diversify your operations not only to the military or home security but to science, education and games as well.

In 1995, i was part of Mark Pesce's ( widely known as the father of VRML) movement to bring 3d to the internet. It floundered then cos the bigwigs were comp illiterates struggling just to send an email out. The world wasnt ready for 3d. But now, 15 yr old kids in 1995 have grown up to be 25yrs old now, within management circles fully conversant with 3d uses in daily life. And what better company to tap and spearhead the use of 3d than ofp/vbs?

Never worry about losing talents here who have been providing free addons. Wish them well and with the exposure gained working with VBS..addons here will only get better. ALL addonmakers and scripters here are hobbyist, and hobbyists are usually in it for the interest and very seldom the money, as long as they can have a couple of bucks to live the day, more than enuff i guess.

ok..i aint some biz CON sultant, but i receive some emails on how to go about it, so i thot to share it here hoping it may benefit others too in the opportunity vbs MAY BE offering u guys, a level playing field for all whether u are 15yrs old or 50yrs old.

Organisation of a mod team:-

---------------------------

1. Project Manager:- this guy must be an optimistic person cos as a leader, not only must u lead, u must be the guide and motivator all in one, able to take hits and still stand. He must have an outgoing personality cos he would need to deal with people from all walks of life, be him a janitor to the Chief of Staff of the army. Do anything and everything but get the project done and on time.

2. Graphics:- this guy must have an artistic bent, able to take pics and edit in comp.

3. 3d modeller:- this guy should be able to see an object in the finish detail even b4 he starts the project and should have interest in the job to finish what he started even if it kills him cos there will be frustrating moments. He should be artistic enuff but not too much that he creates object to the highest polygon count, for this is a game mod and not an advertising mod - the higher polygon count only cause the death of game play thru lag.

4. Scriptwriter/Beta tester:- Someone who is good at maths and comp lingo to think outta the box to create dynamic scripts or heck! just simple ones so that even an idiot can activate the scripts.

5. Mission makers:- Someone who has at least done 3 months service in the arm forces to know how such forces operate and their Standard Operation Procedures. Prefferably someone who has an interest in books and movies so that he can recreate the atmosphere and storyline of what he read.

A. Initially, as a team, it would be preferable to keep it to these 5 person and the leader must be able to convince and cajole them all to work for free, at least b4 the real cash rolls in, after all u wont get paid till u deliver. Dont ever quit your day job till u see george washington's face.

B. When the money does comes, dont splurge it on the camero,but think of expanding your team first by paying them - either full time or freelance work, so that u can take on more projects and earn more money.

c.When u have built up sufficient capital, the initial members of your team will then form the nucleus of your company, heading each dept dedicated to delievering the goods to your clients...and soon u may even be able to buy over the building down the street and use it as your office.

d. This is by no means exhaustive, but it is a start...all business starts out with dream but it takes a leap of faith of undying passion to keep it going. I wish u all the best! smile_o.gif

Hmm. This is food for thought. Currently I work 10 -12 hours per day 6/7 days a week on OFP model making, so would this mean I'd be working less hours and I'd get paid as well? biggrin_o.gif

Sadly I'm as remote from Orlando as one could just about get so I guess applying would be out of the question. Still this 52 year old is available for hire if anybody is interested.

I dunno, has anyone applied and heard anything? I certainly havent, although ive changed my mind,(i cant do both a mod and work on VBS1....i prefer my mod.....)and won't be accepting any (unlikely) offer i get given if they ever do have courtesy to at least reply.....unless it makes me rich.... tounge_o.gif

Hmm a month and a half later and not even a reply.. Just wonder if the emails got thru with the hurricanes and all.

Indeed, I also mailed asking for more info and still haven't received a reply sad_o.gif

Coalescent have a representative who posts at the VBS Resources forums, I'll go grab his Email address.....

Did I mention I'm blonde? One sec smile_o.gif

Yeah sorry I forgot you need a VBS key to sign up and guest accounts can't PM, here's the Email address posted by CT Corp's rep on the forums, tell him Placebo sent you wink_o.gifandersong@ctcorp.com

Hmm I guess not having VBS1 will kind of prevent me PMing him smile_o.gif ah well there goes my career sad_o.gif

no, one last chance for your career: re-read placebo's post wink_o.gif

Short and simple?:

1-You have contacts with/inside the military.

2-You have knowledge of your countrys military equipment and all other stuff.

3- You have a mature, high quality capable team able to develop all sorts of units for OPF engine in a high quality, professional level.

4- blablah...

I dont know, i guess this could be a good chance for professional modelers, texturers and coders to get a deal with BIA and start developing for their military, spreading the VBS1 simulator to has many countrys has possible but all the aspects involved in this seem way above the average OPF mod.

Theres no way BIA could make specific units and material for 10 or more diferent military organisations in a acceptable time frame, all depends on demand i guess.

I see possibilities but i dont see it happening, maybe with a better engine (OPF2) though im still sceptical about infantry simulation tool's efectiveness.

Just food for thought, im imaginative at times tounge_o.gif .

you should read Coalescent "no" reply... by the time u figure out just wtf the person is talking about u realize the anwser is no tounge_o.gif

quick tip to Coalescent.... if u dont want us.. just reply "no sorry" instead of a 14 page longexplaination of how u want a modder and saleman and military soldier with "freinds in high places" and "superiour contacts in your local military"... no means no.. just say no... dont BS around. uncool rock.gif

PS: this was in response to my VBS application...

Quote[/b] ]quick tip to Coalescent....

I really doubt Coalescent will read your tips or notes here. If you have anything to tell them, use the contact channels as given on Coalescent web site.

I never liked this thread in the first place.Seemed more like CT Corp related than BIS related?Oh well.I just wanted to get that out there.Oh yeah.If you apply dont forget to send a Resume. smile_o.gif

lol! take it easy, pappy..

1. 3d games started out as a hobby and the greatest pleasure is giving free 3d stuff and see the pleasure in others.

2. Somehow it grew and grew and became a commercial enterprise. I am sure CTcorp guys are hobbyist too, but the offer they hold is not a hobby but a biz enterprise.

3. Therefore anything less than a profitable venture would not make any sense to CTcorp for they have to answer to their shareholders - the paymasters, believe me, money aint easy to come by or drop from the sky.

4. I am not surprise if CTcorp doesnt reply cos biz is biz..its $$$ and time is money. Thousands of applications, thousands of emails to send = loss of valuable time doing something unproductive = no money = get fried and fired by shareholders.

5.Understand the offer first - what is it that the multi-million company CTcorp wants that they need to make the public offer? cos if u understand, u will know what they want and need, and in the market place the theory of 'give em what they want and they will give u want u want' holds.

6. Partnerships are meant to be working as equals, not either party sponging on dependent solely on the other, becomes lopsided and the partnership wont last, therefore anyone will need to be very selective in seeking partners - so that both may mutually benefit.

7. How to get to know 'friends in high places?' - not really difficult - make friends and in our closely connected world, someone will know someone who will lead u to someone up there. Dont ever look down on yourself even if u are only 15 yrs old, cos if u have what someone needs, u are a friend to even the President and between us, we personally have experienced the magic of ofp to know and be confident on the usefulness of the product.

8. In the event your community have not heard of ofp, then u gotta do some marketing - creating the need in them( another term for marketing) - get your laptops ready. OFP by itself will put on a good show for u. You just need to show some enthusiasm and a nice friendly smile.

9. I aint no apologist for CTcorp or harbour any hopes of getting that offer - i aint got no mod team nor the time and heck! not even the talent for it, just look at my addons u will see what i mean! lol!....just here to share some ideas to help u guys expand upon your interest in modding with a biz$$$$ angle.

Sorry for the long post and brief explainations..but i wish u guys all the best. OFP or VBS, BIS has created a fantastic classic worthy of our efforts and time. smile_o.gif