Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Attention Addon makers

Crap, all of the good positions are in Orlando crazy_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]We are working on several new projects ourselves, but cannot address all the potential applications for VBS1 so we’ve put out the welcome mat for application partnerships.

Hmmm...

Maybe the Finnish military will develop an interest in VBS1 wink_o.giftounge_o.gif .

I wish good luck to all addon makers, but soon we will miss some more of our best OPF addon makers too, we already lost quite a few to VBS1 sad_o.gif .

Bloody hell! *Pathy gets emailing*

wow_o.gif

Maybe that portfolio of textures i've drawn will come in use tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Local Candidates only please.

too bad i live on the other side of the US tounge_o.gif

So I take it this will be a CT Corp Only project and not Official BIS/BIA work?

Do you think that the fact I live in Poland would cause any problems?

Told you VBS1 is going to eat up the community.

Bye addon makers!

Bye great scripters!

Are they deliberatly trying to rip apart the OFP community?

Quote[/b] ]Bye addon makers!

Bye great scripters!

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>The scripters, modelers, texturers, and other OFP addon/mod creators owe the OFP community nothing!</span>

They are not community possessions to be batted around at will. If they want to leave OFP for a medium that can better support their talents, then good luck to them!

There is two communities because public VBS is just now kicking off. It remains to be seen how the communities will co-exist, and if there will be any leaching. I presume though, that there will be a more mature audience with VBS from the price tag and from the target audience.

If you want toys, they'll be in OFP as well. If you want tools, chances are you'll have to play ball.

- on topic -

Coalescent has hints about several sizable Homeland Security themed projects in the works, and all the help on VBS I'm sure will work its way back into OFP. In a way, this is an opportunity to help make the product the very best. Then again, it only has itself to top. wink_o.gif

Personally, i feel addonmakers and scripters DO owe a fair bit to ofp community (but not to any particular person) cos first of all, there got to be players who love the game enuff to post reviews here. From there, we test the game out, some like it, some dont, but those that do were given the chance to enhance ofp further thru bis tools but more importantly - unofficial tools, ideas, concepts that are discussed and given out freely here like no other.

I'll dare bet even the best mr.know at all king addonmaker or scripter started from zilch and progress to the throne cos somehow somewhere someway, he would have benefitted from the community's liberal sharing of information. But there is no kingaddonmaker or scripter in this community cos ofp is a multi-faceted game and not many can do it all on his own in terms of modelling and scripting just overnight. Point is, the more we share, the more we grow.

However, let us not begrudge those that may wanna seek employment in the games industry cos its only natural to wanna do a job where your interest lays. And let us not bemoan the loss of such talents, for as long as their interest are in such games, we will never lose them and can expect once in a while better goodies given back to the community which has help such talents grow and showcase their talents.

Its a win-win situation for all, vbs gets to select the cream of the crop, addonmakers/scripters will wanna do a better job at ofp free addons level, the community benefits by helping them to share info, the world gets a better vbs product. Those that are chosen will then have better skills to further help this community here.

And of course, do remember that whatever is freely given, be thankful...cos such folks who do decides to create something for the community on his own time do not necessarily have to do so for repayment comes in many forms. Lets be positive! wink_o.gif

Your topic title is incorrect, should read "Attention US OFP fans who want to live in Orlando"

You've got well over half your talent internationally, furthermore a large amount of US citizens won't be all doodle dandy to move to Florida. tounge_o.gif At least people are given a chance though, not just friends and family which is often the norm in the govt. and other corporations. wink_o.gif

The opinions expressed in this post are not representative of any group or company but only that of Bn880. biggrin_o.gif

Personally, i feel addonmakers and scripters DO owe a fair bit to ofp community....

Addon makers owe you nothing, any debt they incur in ideas ect is more than repaid by what they do for you FOR FREE.

They have no duty to stay with a community. However, i have re-thought this one through and changed my mind about applying....i have a duty to my mod and its members, and i doubt it could co-exist (with me in charge) if i was working for Coalescent....in the unlikely event they do make some sort of offer i will be turning it down for OFP modding..... smile_o.gif

I didnt say they owe shit.I just said good bye!

The trend is over!

When a government agency starts contracting civis its over!

OFP addons makers are leaving its ok OFP will be dead and thats that.

I said goodbye to all those great scripters and addonsmakers because I respect them.

*starts humming 'goodbye blue sky by pink floyd'*

Yes and thats why i quoted Philcommando and not you..... rock.gif

You guys think they would hire a 16 year old for that island maker position in Orlando?

Probably not for one of the full time posts, i dunno though, its always worth trying....i mean....if you dont apply you wont know. smile_o.gif

You guys think they would hire a 16 year old for that island maker position in Orlando?

no

Quote[/b] ]Local Candidates only please.

That means:

1 - We won't pay to fly you out for an interview. If you're really that hot of an asset, you would have been sought out already.

2 - We're not paying relocation for your average Joe. Standard line in this field. With the high position-rollover of software dev jobs over a career, this makes sense financially at this level.

3 - It may not be worth your while to move yourself in light of the offered terms. Then again, last time I checked, Florida had a much lower Cost-of-living than west of the mississippi, especially more than the west coast.

4 - In the art field, it's your portfolio that sells you. If you already have a reputation, they'd know about you. If not, you'd have some fast talking to do to explain how you would be more of an asset to the company and not just a raving fan wasting their time.

--------------------------------------

Furthermore in the case of minors, you at best could only hope for an internship, and you can kiss that goodbye once the school year legally starts due to state and federal laws.

For map makers, you need extensive professional GIS experience, not just OFP-specific stuff. IE, this needs to already be your day job, and you better have a good reason for quitting your day job to chase this.

Programmers and developers have schedules and deadlines to meet, and quality standards to achieve. You don't get paid to learn to code, you get paid to make solid code out of the blocks under pressure, and in this case in a restrictive environment.

Reading Clancy books is not going to make you a superior scriptor. Remember, VBS is for real-world training for standard operating proceedures, not rambo adventurers. You need to already have a solid foundation in a wide range of military SOP's, have a strong advanced math and programming background, and be recognized for creating evolutionary content.

So take a break, think about RL, think about what you have to offer, before you go running off doing stuff. Besides, do you know of anyone that will rent a car to anyone younger than 24?

Pft, who needs a car. If I live within 5-15 miles of it I can just run there.

Na, I wasn't really being serious about the whole 16 thing it would be sweet but it would never happen, would be cool if it did though.

Na, I wasn't really being serious about the whole 16 thing it would be sweet but it would never happen, would be cool if it did though.

Just write 'em a letter, you can always try wink_o.gif

Guys, i think u are missing the forest for the trees! wow_o.gif The website not only offers employment for local resident of locations they have set up shop, there is an opening for PARTNERSHIP programme!

This is the big numero uno cos vbs is offering u folks a chance to work the 3d franchise on your doorstep as we have an international market/audience here.

As we all know, creating 3d objects are time consuming processes, and there is no way one small company with a staff of 1000 can recreate the world realistically in months. The programming and engine are basic and easy - usually within 1 month a skill programmer can get it up and running, but not the 3d department, would takes years if not months.

Vbs is attracting all kinds of attention on its product for realistic environmental and behavioural simulation from all over the world. However, there is no way vbs can meet the demands of the internation audience for each client would prefer custom made 3d objects to suit their country, right down to the signpost on its streets. Vbs cant hire more staff for once the objects are made, how is vbs gonna keep them on their payroll? Even if vbs could, how familiar would the staff of vbs understand the client's needs if those staff are not familiar with the client's country without incurring additonal costs to place staff there? Believe me there are more factors but i shall not lengthen this post here, but stretch your minds and think like donald trump...read my lips..its big international biz from here on, with global HQ in czech and McVBS all over the world.

Its a win-win situation for all - VBS offers u the franchise, the management/expertise/engine - u form the team in your country AT YOUR COST & RISK, be in charge of marketing and 3d, return a percentage back to McVBS in czech and soon, McVBS becomes a global corporation in battlefield simulation - we already saw what ofp1 with a group of like-minded hobbyist from 12 to 50 yrs old could do, offering employment for all in the much need fight against the scourge of terrorism and ganster rackets plaguing the world today and more years to come.

Start small with friends and minimal capital but THINK BIG - u dont have to be a citizen of that country to work the franchise, heck! move over to the country itself and set up shop - its a globalized world now, the barriers are down. As long as u can convince VBS and the client country u are good - u are marketable. Weapons of war are always upgraded, threats are always new, cities are always springing up, trainning of troops,be it good guys or bad guys - will never end as long as mankind is not perfect. Good biz for the green machine corporations, its the 1st oldest proffesion in the world. There is more to say, but think it thru and come out with a business plan and i am sure vbs will listen - whether if u are a 15 yr old or a 50yr old with a sound plan.

All the best! smile_o.gif