Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

Motorcycles

Recently, I finally got around to getting my motorcycle licence, (but have been riding on and off since the age of 7) and I'm just wondering about what other peoples attitudes towards them are.

Everyone's welcome to vote. And for those who have had (or had an) experience with them, your welcome to post those good, bad and scary experiences; The bikes you've ridden; how you got your licence and just about anything else motorcycle related.

The results of the poll will not only tell me people’s attitudes towards them. But also what types of bikes people are most likely to get, thus what people would most likely use them for.

Cheers. smile_o.gif

I had a few different bikes when I was younger. Never bothered getting a licence though. I lived in the country and could go for miles around without driving *cough*very far* cough* down a road. Bikes were: (Suzuki? not sure) 50 trail bike was first one, from about age 8 (not sure exact age either). Then a Yamaha DT 80 until I was about 12/13, then a DT 175. A lot of friends of mine had bikes too, there was very little to do where we lived so we all got bikes. Just cheap old ones that wouldn't have passed their MOTs.

We used to ride in a quarry. Usually after the shift was finished, but it was also the main way to get to the other places we'd ride to. The quarry was quite heavily worked and occasionally some part of it would change completely. There was a really good sort of gravel spoil heap with a road right over it, which gave you a good run down to a decent jump. One day we just got there and I decided to start off with the jump, a nice long fast one. So I really gave a lot of throttle up to the top of road, going fairly fast. Only to find out that half of the hill had been removed, from the far side of the peak down. So I was in a very unplanned jump, going front wheel down straight towards the ground. Had to jump off the bike sideways to land on the nearest soft looking thing. Bent the front wheel and the forks. From then on I always had a look before I went to jump something.

Another fun time was had when we discovered some quicksand in the quarry, because of a fairly high water table and lots of sand. A big lake (the kind they use the crane diggers on- VERY deep) got completely silted over. A couple of us were there one day and investigated it. We found that there was a fairly hard skin on the quicksand, but once broken it was really powerful underneath. We also discovered that if you went pretty fast and smooth over a fresh part of the sand, you could ride right over it. But if you tried to go over the same part twice and didnt have enough momentum, you'd get stuck.

So the next day me and another guy who hadn't been there the day before were riding around. I decided to show off and ride right over the widest part of the sand. Now, he knew it was quicksand, but he didn't know what we had figured out yesterday. So he was a little wary at first. But I kept riding over it, while all the time being careful not to go over the same part twice. So then he has a shot..... right in my tracks. And chunders to a halt in the exact centre of the former lake turned quicksand. Then he tries to get out, panics a bit and completely buries the back wheel. The front wheel is still on the surface, but the back is completely under, and he's roughly up to his knees. I'm laughing, but slowly getting worried. He stalls the bike, kicks it again and somehow starts it. Spins wheel again. Gearbox, pegs and kickstart are now under the surface. Front wheel is 3/4 submerged, and the bike is at a 45 degree angle- the rear of the bike is completely under. He's up to his thighs and starting to get worried... more about his bike than himself at this point. Much shouting at me to go get the local farmer and his digger. I don't want to leave, for two reasons; its funny, and I'm not convinced he will not sink if I leave. I disappear into the woods, shouting 'Be right back.' Lots of screaming for help.

He thinks he's going to get sucked under now. I did know at the time though that quicksand is easier to float in than water, but he didn't find that very reasuring, for some reason. By the time I returned from the woods, 5 minutes later but a lot longer for him, he was up to his waist, and none of the bike was visible. He was bent over holding the handlebars under the surface and had lost one of his boots.

'Where the fuck have you been! I'm sinking!! Go get the fucking digger NOW!!'

I'm still laughing. Bit cruel but it was a way of dealing with it at the time. You don't want to stop and think about how if the silly bugger doesnt stop struggling (and doesnt let go of the big heavy metal thing) he IS going to sink'

But I had a plan; that was what I was doing in the woods. I had been looking for a fallen tree, and had eventually found a fairly young, thin one I could drag by myself. I dragged it up to the edge, then got another shorter bit of tree, and chucked that in half way between him and the edge. I could then jump onto that, and drag the tree so that it was beside him. That gave him something to hold on to while I got some more bits of tree and made a sort of lattice thing that spread the weight. Then I got him to roll onto the thing and he got out. Still minus his boot. We managed to hook one of the handlebars over the tree as well, and slowly put more bits of wood under the surface and the bike until we got it on its side on the tree, and could work it slowly out of the lake with brute force. Finally got the hoorin thing out. It had been totally submerged in mud for about an hour. It looked like it was made of mud.

'Well', I said, 'I'll give you a hand pushing it home.'

He had the last laugh though. He kicked out the kick-start (with difficulty due to all the mud on it) and lept on it with both feet... Started first time and he rode it home.

I've had a few spills, mainly while trying to do jumps in silly places (on a side camber, in the rain, on a raggedy bumpy deer track, in a forest was the silliest one, I think) but no major injuries.

ive had a kawasaki kmx 250 and honda cr125 saddly i sold the kmx about 3 mounths ago sad_o.gif

i didnt have a liesence and that didnt stop me lol the only thing thats missing from that sidecar combination is a mg42 tounge_o.gif

My parents have a couple of bikes and I am planning to get a Motorcycle driving license before I get my car license  smile_o.gif

We have:

Moto Guzzi Lodola 235 from '61

lodola.jpg

(ours looks better though)

DKW RT250/H from '53

DKW.jpg

Yamaha SR500

SR500.jpg

Moto Guzzi SP1000

SP1000.jpg

I most likely will drive the SR500 once I get my license smile_o.gif

We used to have a BMW R27 and BMW R-69/S but we sold those sadly  sad_o.gif

Well I voted for death trap as 3 of my father's friends have lost their life in motorbike accidents. One of them happening in the road adjacent to mine, full (legal speed limit) speed smack into a car pulling out from its parking slot. Not a nice sight. I like scooters though, especially the Malaguti Firefox and F12 blues.gif

I dont mind them, at least the ones acting like assholes on bikes will be the only ones killed unlike with cars. wink_o.gif

Personally, im too clumsy for a motorbike and the finnish weather is not very kind on two-wheelers. ghostface.gif

sad_o.gif yeah saddly thats the problem alot of car drivers dont exactly look much for bikes being all nice and snug in the armoured volvo's

I got to ride a friend of the familys honda xr125 when i was in yokohama that was interesting to say the least as i hadnt even driven a car about there but here was little me going solo on a not very well maintaned bike going to get food for that nights dinner in during rush hour crazy_o.gif

I've had a few bikes. Some of them were old, with their plastics and seats faded from sun damage. But so long as the engine still kicked over and the bike could still take some punishment, it was good enough for me.

Yamaha PW 50

Yamaha YZ 80

Kawasaki KE 125

Suzuki TS185

Yamaha XT 250

The XT is my current ride and all except the XT have been sold or passed on to others.

I've had similar experiences to you, Yagyu Retsudo, my cousin and I used to ride around the local countryside come rain or shine. And we always had a blast. Be it terrorizing flocks of sheep, riding dry creek beds or getting covered in mud. Every ride was always a ball of fun.

Probably the worst thing that ever happened on any of our rides was when I was ten, and my cousin was 8. We were trying to master a small jump which led up to a natural berm, and just behind the berm was a creek. He was riding his KX 80, and got his landing very wrong. The landing was enough to just about throw him off his bike, but instead of bailing, in typical Aussie fashion, he hung on, gripping the clutch in order to prevent it from stalling, with his right leg dragging behind and zero control over the brakes!

The berm catapulted him and his bike into the creek in such a manner that it was as if he was laying face down on the bikes right side and the pair hit the water with considerable force. He was ok, apart from a burn on his leg from the hot engine and a few scratches. But the bike sank deep in the creek. It took my uncle about half an hour to find it and attach a rope. By the time we fished it out, it looked brand spanking new, but it was off the road for about a month until my uncle got around to fixing it up and putting it back together again.

I've never injured myself seriously, and apart from gravel rash, have been very lucky in that regard. I recall having only broken two levers in my time as well, and making a new entrance through a picket fence after forgetting my brakes were worn!

My husband and I will not allow any of our children to ride a motorcycle. I don't care if I'm 120 and they're 100. I'll personally take an axe to it if they try.

We've seen coworkers and neighbors children injured and enough cycle accidents on highways to convince us that these machines are not fit for use.

Yamaha SR500

http://www.tacticalblunder.com/users/hammer/uploads/FW200/SR500.jpg

I most likely will drive the SR500 once I get my license smile_o.gif

heh, I had a SR500 a long time ago ... until I snapped it in the back of a police van ... just kidding, it was a regular van.

I don't mind motorbikes, they can be practical at times and riding them can be so great ....

Unfortunately my wife won't let me buy one .... I guess my mother told her about my past adventures on two wheeled vehicles ...

I know that some countries don't even have compulsory motorcycle training prior to recieving a license. crazy_o.gif

We have a system where two 4 hour training sessions are required before you can apply for your learners permit. Then you must do one 4 hour advanced training course in order to obtain a probationary licence. And whilist on a learners permit and a Probationary licence, you are restricted to motorcycles with capacities no greater than 250cc. (A dated way of determining what bikes are and are not suitable for beginner riders)

For scooters under 50cc, only a car licence is required.

What are other motorcycle licensing systems like?

My husband and I will not allow any of our children to ride a motorcycle. I don't care if I'm 120 and they're 100. I'll personally take an axe to it if they try.

We've seen coworkers and neighbors children injured and enough cycle accidents on highways to convince us that these machines are not fit for use.

haha  biggrin_o.gif my mom did the same.

"You buy a motorbike then I call my advocate and your name will be deleted from my will (disinherit).

In rural areas you can easily allow your children to ride a motorbike BUT neither Israel nor Germany  realy have realy have vast landscapes like the US or Australia. In our country teenagers would always have to share the road with cars. Teenie-contests, drunk-driving, courage-competitions ... those are the real death traps for motorbikes and I my former school actually quite a lot students had realy serious accidents. You are not being overprotective but untill they passed puberty they wont be able to handle such a powerful machine with responsibility.

However, when I lived in Thailand I had the best time ever in my life due to the motorcycle I was using. There lots of people died because of accidents but I was definetly worth the risk. One day I want to cross southeast asia with a bike (motorbike) from east to west

Hey and Ozanac, having a car-driving license in germany doesnt allow me to ride a motorbike. Sounds strange but is true. Here you need to take a lot of lessons and pay good money to pass the test!

ozanzac the british system is similar to yours here you have to pass youre cbt(certificate basic training i think) test then you can ride anything up to 125 or under 33bhp if youre over a certain age think its 21 and when youve passed youre test and are over 21(not sure about the age) you can sit another test and get youre full liecense and then buy a 199mph suzuki hayabusa if you want tounge_o.gif

though it may have changed as theyve changed it a few times in the last 10 years

My brothers got an RS125, hes done a lot of work to it, and smashed it up a few times.

The test is far too easy (in britain), and i dont know how it is in other countries, but in britain a lot of middle aged yuppies'll buy a 1000cc cause they can afford it, and they've either never rode, or did 20 years ago, so they samsh it up.

I wouldnt mind a bike but you cant park em on the street where i live unless you want some c*** to slash your tires.

The most dangerous thing about a motorbike, as long as your not stupid, is car users.

you can ride anything up to 125 or under 33bhp if youre over a certain age think its 21 and when youve passed youre test and are over 21(not sure about the age) you can sit another test and get youre full liecense and then buy a 199mph suzuki hayabusa if you want

After a year of riding on ones Probationary licence. One can then apply for a full licence and then one can ride whatever he or she likes.

However, as I'm apart of an age group highly prone to vehicular accidents. (under 19) If I recieve a fine (be it in a car or riding a motorcycle), the period of my probationary licence is extended until I turn 20.

Quote[/b] ]Hey and Ozanac, having a car-driving license in germany doesnt allow me to ride a motorbike. Sounds strange but is true. Here you need to take a lot of lessons and pay good money to pass the test!

And so do we....unfortunately, our licences are too easy to obtain, and the required training to obtain either a motorcycle or car license is a complete joke. The system, in my view, needs a complete overhaul, with training standards mimicking those of obtaining a pilot's licence.

i voted "tool for adventure" .. imo motorbikes are really actually little death traps but who cares since it´s incredibly fun to ride with ´em

i almost managed to get myself killed using a bike twice till now, though i see no reason not to ride if i´d get the possibility again (got no license yet sad_o.gif )

funny thing is, i ride more dangerously with small bikes (<125ccm), mabye because i still have a lot of respect of bigger bikes

here´s the biggest i drove with yet (not exact the same, just found no better pic):

rwbfzr-1.jpg

^^ that babe is now disassembled and sold sad_o.gif

[ig]http://www.2tausend1.de/motors/normal/Aprilia-RS-SportPro125-1995.jpg[/img]>100kb

^^ and that´s the bitch which almost made an end to my being crazy_o.gif

--

anyway, all i ever owned and was allowed to drive with were these:

gilera_stalker_50_schwarz.jpg4185_malaguti_f12-phantom_hmrr.gif

also i had the opportunity to drive a racing scooter from a friend who did it as sport, that thing was awesome.. same as the yellow one above but with an acceleration better than most big-bikes have biggrin_o.gif

Have a tradition of wrecked motorcycles:

1. Custom Vespa , burnt by myself after a crash in anger

2. Honda monkey, slipped under those nasty things that are built along roads biggrin_o.gif

3. Honda SR 500, owned by the girlfriend I had at the time

She was not able to operate the kickstarter, so I was the  only one who drove it. Nice bike.

4. Husquarna TE 610 fullcross, lost it´s life in the bavarian hills.

5. Current bike, Triumph Trident.

I don´t like those streetracers. I tested a 1000 Kawasaki soon after I got my license, but I had to admit, that my life would most probably end within a week with it. You have to drive such bikes fast to make it a comfortable ride and that´s what I was concerned about. As Balschoiw´s are a rare species I decided to go for cross and cruisers first. As I have a faible for oldtimers I bought the Triumph I guess 3 years ago. It´s powerful and a classy bike.

w000t! The F-12 Phantom ruuules! There's a version of it with a beautiful paintjob of a pair of F-16s and a tiger in the background, you know kind of like those paintjobs you get for special occasions on fighter aircraft (thinking of Belgian and Dutch AF especially). Awesome scooter. Malaguti in general make good quality and snazzy looking ones blues.gif

lol I used to buy this magazine in Belgium called Scoot Look, and it was full of pictures of customised and well beefed up scooters and guys doing mad stunts on them, but I mainly like them for their practicality and ease of use/maintenance...

edit: oh dude, what kind of doublepost was that, please delete sad_o.gif

and dont drink/smoke and post crazy_o.gif