Sign in to follow this  
desantnik

RED ORCHESTRA

Epic are releasing a version of UT2k4 with Red Orchestra and a number of other modifications by the Unreal community bundled in with it, like they did with UT GOTYE which had Chaotic Dreams mod and a load of community maps and mutators bundled into it.

Still haven't downloaded V3. I'm waiting for some non-Fileplanet mirrors because I always have a great deal of dificulty downloading from FilePlanet especially big files which I need to resume the dowload of thanks to 56k. Aparently I'll have to wait 'til Monday for mirrors... yay!

I took the big step and purchased UT2004 just to be abel to play RO. It was a VERY GOOD decision. First of all, UT2004 is a pretty fun game in itself, but RO... RO is just EXCELLENT.

The vehicles, while fun, are WIP so they do have a certain amount of suckiness in them (they bounce around just like in OFP! I felt right at home). The infantry combat however is simply AMAZING. The rifles are nice and not deadly accurate, there is no crosshair which makes for some intense close-quarters firefights, and the corpse-juggling artillery is simply deafening. There is nothing like lying in a cold wet ditch, attaching a bayonet to your Kar-98 while the shells rain on enemy trenches, kicking up dirt, earth and Russians. Than all goes silent, and the Gruppenfuehrer shouts "Vorwaerts! Stellung sturmen!" and we run into the trenches, bayonet first. Woohoo!

The sounds are excellent, and so are the animations. I just look forward to depleting my MG34 just to look at that beautiful gloved hand replace the magazine. The physics are fun too, especially when a soldier flies into the air due to an explosion and his limp corpse lands on a pile of sandbags.

I really recommend it! I think it's still only available on Fileplanet, but it was worth the wait!

Yep, RO is a great mod/game but I think it needs some tweaking... If this becomes a hit it will be a great alternative until OFP2 arrives in 2006.

Here's a few screenshots to show the reloading animation using normal settings.. Most of the things can be set to very high.

load01.jpg

load02.jpg

load03.jpg

load04.jpg

load05.jpg

this MOD rocks! this is best WW2 FPS I ever played!  biggrin_o.gif and i lvoe those reloading anims! biggrin_o.gif

Woah...

Tank combat has some serious pucker factorage! Pretty tense and totally fun when you have a good driver.

A pain to shoot and move.

ahhh i dont like to be tank with driver cuz i never saw drivers that are not noobs last time when i got in tank with driver i said to driver stop and he continued moving till we didnt get killed crazy_o.gif

Me and this guy named Luug had a blast. He'd drive, I'd shoot. We both communicated, using the clock to identify enemy target positions. He'd hit the brakes, I'd shoot. Before the enemy could hit us, he'd move into cover or as fast and he can.

Exactly. While the vehicles are rudimentary at best (just like in OFP in fact), it takes a certain amount of cooperation to use them effectively, especially in urban areas. Tons of fun! I hope they'll keep on improving this mod, because this just might be the right thing to help get through life until OFP2 comes out. If it doesn't help, I think I'll go into hibernation sad_o.gif

There's tons of stuff in RO that I would like to see in OFP2. The difference between hipfire and using the sights, for example. The way it's handled in RO adds completely new dynamics to the game. The way movement is resolved is also rather interesting - you automatically crouch a bit, making yourself a smaller target. It's really great seeing prolonged streetfights where shots are exchanged from behind cover, with the occasional soldier running from cover to cover in that very atmospheric crouched manner.

Great stuff.

Funny story:

A t34 rolls up into our spawn and starts wasting everyone with MG. It wasn't very far, but far enough to be a pain in the ass. I finally get around to its side, low, and I run up and place two satchel charges on its side.

A moment later, the explosion was big enough to wipe out every person in the spawn. Everyone.

I was laughing so hard I almost soiled myself. People who were close enough were tossed into the air, all the others blown off of their feet. The explosion was practically an artillery load. 20 pounds of satchel on a tank. AND BOOM!

Never expected it to be so big.

Haha, yes the satchels are really sick! In karlovka, the big winter map where you need to destroy some roadblocks and cross the bridges, I was tasked with doing just that... So I carefully instrudcted our Panzer IV and the SdKfz to back up. They put their gears in reverse and retreated for some 40 m. It didn't help! Boy was I kicked off the server mighty quick:S

Btw Draco, what you mention is a rather annoying aspect of RO: there seems to be no spawnprotection at all. At one time in Kalinin, the big tank map, some T34 simply drove into our hangar and started blasting away as soon as we spawned. I hope they fix it soon...

Also, has any of you experienced the rifle bug, where the shots become extremely inaccurate due to some misalignment between the server and the client? Everybody is complaining about it but I haven't noticed it yet.

Yeah, spawn protection is minimal. It's especially bad when they drop artillery in it in maps like Ponyri.

And you mentioned the map I was playing. I was one of the engineers tasked to blow those road blocks away.

why you need spawn protecion? if you want get game more realisticremove spawn protection

why you need spawn protecion? if you want get game more realisticremove spawn protection

You should have said: If you want the game to be realistic remove the respawn.

...which would result in extremely small scale skirmishes between perhaps 2 squads. Sounds kind of limited, doesn't it?

I'm all for realism but removing respawn would make almost all maps too large and the fights extremely short. The round would be over very soon, and would result in another round: effectively, respawn!

especially that one guy can destroy entire teams in alot of maps, specially a defending machine gunner, if you find a nice choke point and make sure u have some nice cover, u can hold them back long time. The maps while mostly lookin nice dont really play to well because the realistic like gameplay really makes it hard to attack, with the limited paths avialable, and the larger maps arnt much fun.

Most awesome mod.....ever. (thats not for OFP)

Anyway, if your tired of the COD, MOHAA unrealistic arcade type gameplay and want something more immersive, and a helluva lot harder. This mod is the answer. It has literally taken days from my life as I sat glued to the computer screen. And then finished my world war two project in style...

For all the people who have never seen this before here is a quick note on what it is about. But what I am I rambling on for... Go see the trailer

No life was untouched by the Great War of the 20th century. Young men from lands across the globe were thrust into deadly battle against one another. For some, it was a mission of global domination. For others, it was in defense of their homeland. For all, it was a struggle that would define the course of modern civilization.

Choose your allegiance and prepare for the most intense PC multiplayer combat experience. Red Orchestra puts you on the front lines of the Eastern conflict of World War II. Take up arms with your Soviet comrades, or fall in line with the German army and battle over the precious lands of the European theatre.

Fight your way through crumbling cities, resonating with the deafening sounds of battle. Immerse yourself in breathtaking recreations of real-world inspired locales. Communicate strategies with your team members.

Game Features as of version 2.0:

* Realistically recreated World War II European environments

* Historically-inspired battle scenes and conditions

* Huge arsenal of weapons including rifles, sub-machine guns, MGs, and explosives

* Multiple weapon features including iron sights, bayonet attaching, bashing, stabbing or deploying an MG

* 3D locational sound

* Voice bindings in English, German, and Russian

* Rag doll physics for chillingly realistic death animations

* Unique multiplayer game types

* Ambient war effects, rain, and fog

* All new Unit and Character types

* High-detail player models with authentic uniforms

* All new player animations with facial animation, secondary animation, and 3rd person weapon animation

Coming Soon:

* Vehicle support - added in 3.0

* Improved AI for bot support

As Red Orchestra continues to evolve, expect new features to be added. Got an idea? Share it in our forums. Thanks for stopping by.

"A teaser? Whats that?  

The next release of Red Orchestra, 3.1, is just on the horizon, and several dev team members have been dropping hints about a trailer which has caused much excitement. Well, today you’ll get your first in game look at Red Orchestra 3.1 and we hope that your excitement will grow even more. This minute long clip of Red Orchestra 3.1 shows several of the new features that will be included with the next release. We’ve been talking about new interiors, tank hatches, and bullet wizz’s. Well now you can experience it as close as possible to the real thing before you enter the field of battle for yourselves."

ROTeaser.jpgt3485thumb.jpgZIS-5thumb.jpgPantherpromosmall.jpg

trailer:

Beyond unreal

Baf Soft

these require registration:

fileplanet

Fileshack

Most Important Link - RedOrchestraMod

I remember the first time I hopped into a tank in 3.0, and I instantly felt comfortable coming from other games. Some thought it would take away, but it gave a new dimension. I loved the whole communication that went on between crews, especially if you started to know who was driving or shooting.

So this is a mod for Unreal Turnament?

Yes.. UT 2004 to be precise. It's pretty nice but the player movement is just crap... It appears as they are standing on ice. The AI is among the worst I've seen but for games with all human players it has some potential.

With a few fixes it will easily beat games like BF and CoD. The realism is high.

well.... to clear some things up:

1) this mod is specifically for Ut2004

2) the AI is crap....but that is because it is meant to be an online only game.

3) the player animations need some work on but these are being addressed!

4) Yes there is melee in this game... yes bayonets.... yes jumping...nay swimming....yes PRONE, no leaning (ut2004 engine issue...workaround being implemented)

5) Tanks, APCs, (trucks should be in next patch) no at cannons as of yet.

6) machinegunners are implemented... yes deployable bipods, yes you can deploy on ledges.

7) Free aim! Ironsights are used.... No crosshair

RO Teaser thread merged into here, please do not create new threads when there is already an existing active thread, if you want the title changing all you need do is PM a moderator smile_o.gif

Edit: Gaaah English is such an annoying language, can we stick to Mongolian? sad_o.gif

6) machinegunners are implemented... yes deployable bipods, yes you can deploy on ledges.

Not to menton barrel changing and overheat.

Nothing sucks worse than losing your russian MG from firing too many rounds and finding out you can't change.

Interesting to watch the MG34 change, though.