Sign in to follow this  
bugkill

VBS addons for OPF? Sound off.....

Quote[/b] ]However, what makes VBS better than OFP are the core engine changes--NOT the models used in the units. There are tons of new scripting commands available too, such as writing to files and loading things from them. Those are the features that make VBS better than OFP, and there is no way that you can "make your own VBS" just by making some models.

In fact, there are 53 new commands. Even if a team actually created VBS-standard models, and made OFP look like VBS, the community still will not get these 53 commands until OFP2 is released. And like Barron said, many of these commands cannot be replicated in OFP, especially the commands that let you read data straight from configs and write data to configs. VBS also has the getmove command, which finally offers a reliable way to detect whether a unit is standing, crouching or prone. And the getworld command could usher in a new age of island-specific special effects.

Actually, I think the readfile/writefile commands are the most promising. These commands will allow for TREMENDOUS expansion of the MP experience. Aside from the obvious things like keeping server win/lose/kill records etc, these commands would also enable things such as perpetual campaigns and 'massively multiplayer' (I hate that term...) style servers that save player equipment/stats/etc.

IMO, the COMBAT! and FischKopp stuff is better than a lot of whats in VBS.

I agree with that. I will add more to that. It's best we have seen in any game on the market there.

It still wouldn't hurt you people to put a little more detail on your models. Just look at the VSB1 stuff

odels of detail.

Believe me, US PEOPLE could easily make 8000 poly weapons if we thought it was sensible...i myself have made 5000 poly weapons before, it wouldnt be hard to extend that a little. I however realise that polies arent everything.....

Textures are what makes the addon-

You can make a very basic model, slap the most awesome textures on it and it'll look good. You can make the most awesome model, slap some average looking textures on it and it'll look worse. Perfect example:

You know Earls M4 is only 762 polies? Yet that looks fantastic...so good that he is now employed by BIA...it's because of the textures, Drill Sergeant....i bet your M4 has 10x more polies than Earls, yet i will also bet that it wont look 10x as good....maybe slighty better, but to be honest i doubt it will be anymore than "slightly".

There is a point where there is no point in the polies you are modelling....sure you want the correct shape of the gun, but is modelling all the little scratches, holes and rivets that can be done just as effectively with textures a worthwhile use of time? No, whats the point? It just leads to models that are less user freindly.....

VBS 1....well, i'd be very interested to know how many polies thier M4s, ect have, but i truly doubt it will come anywhere near 8000-10000 per weapon......Once again, i think VBS1 relies on awesome texture jobs...with regards to how that compares with existing addons around? I reckon OFP addons are pretty damn good....many are close, equal or better to VBS standard.

Quote[/b] ]VBS 1....well, i'd be very interested to know how many polies thier M4s, ect have, but i truly doubt it will come anywhere near 8000-10000 per weapon......Once again, i think VBS1 relies on awesome texture jobs...with regards to how that compares with existing addons around? I reckon OFP addons are pretty damn good....many are close, equal or better to VBS standard.

If you go through a VBS photography thread, you'll notice that some of the weapons have an "Earl quality". Among other things, the VBS AK-74M appears to be an exact clone of the MAP AK-74M biggrin_o.gif . If BIA made the new weapons to this standard, then I'd say it's a fair bet that the VBS weapons have polycounts far lower than 8000.

Look at this AK-74! Oodles of detail! tounge_o.gif

Do I like the Combat! models? Yes, I think that they look as good as the stuff that VBS comes with, and that stuff like that can make OFP look like VBS. But I'm still going to get VBS, because I'm a scripter and I am drooling for those new commands smile_o.gif .

I reckon the round bits (barrel ect) on that have 8 sides....which is aiming at a fairly low poly count addon.....and you can see the side is fairly flat, but with a real nice texture on it....so we are probably talking oodels of detail...2000 polies max i'd say smile_o.gif

Which is about average for your standard high quality OFP weapon addon.

Stop being such cheapskates and trying to incoporate VBS addons stuff into OFP. Just buy the damn VBS system and shut the hell up tounge_o.gifwink_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Stop being such cheapskates and trying to incoporate VBS addons stuff into OFP. Just buy the damn VBS system and shut the hell up tounge_o.gifwink_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

crazy_o.gif

Heh, you missed the point of the thread there, its not about incorporating VBS stuff (thats illegal) its about making our own versions of VBS stuff to higher quality from scratch.....which i think is something we don't need to think about, alot of OFP stuff is just as good, so why actively duplicate VBS?  wow_o.gif

Nice edit btw Sniper Skull biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I reckon the round bits (barrel ect) on that have 8 sides....which is aiming at a fairly low poly count addon.....and you can see the side is fairly flat, but with a real nice texture on it....so we are probably talking oodels of detail...2000 polies max i'd say

Pathy, it appears to be a carbon copy of the AK-74M from the MAP, and that has 1142 vertexes, 661 faces, and 3 textures tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Stop being such cheapskates and trying to incoporate VBS addons stuff into OFP. Just buy the damn VBS system and shut the hell up

That's what I'm going to do smile_o.gif .

From what I understand the 3rd party addons we already have are superior in quality to the VBS 1's.

If this thread continues to be a discussion about the merits of VBS it will be closed.

Sure Placebo, but the last page has been all about how what we have in OFP is already as good as VBS1 anyway....which was the point of the whole thread smile_o.gif

Well,some addons are already better,then those in VBS1.But they are only few and they aren´t so famous like those in VBS1.

Anyway,some units,objects,island,etc of high-quality you´ll find in csla-lacerta project ;)

BTW:Soldiers in VBS1 are even dont have own model,they are just edited civils from res. crazy_o.gif

BTW:Soldiers in VBS1 are even dont have own model,they are just edited civils from res. crazy_o.gif

Hey! They have nice new heads and hands. I think it's enough ;)

Im all for it, The more top quality models that are made for OFP, the more toys I will be able to import into my copy of VBS1 wink_o.gif

The best of both worlds biggrin_o.gif

I've read this topic from start to end, and haven't seen anyone note a thing about somethings I've noticed!

Before VBS1 can out it was thought to be the next patch for OPF. And the addon's and islands that was shown in the previews, everyone couldn't wait.

Then nothing!! While else where VBS1 was released.

That's fine we got lead down the garden path alittle, all hoping to get the Harrier and Aircraft Carrier, etc...

Well keeping an eye on both OFP/R and VBS1 I've noticed very high quality addons from the OFP/R groups and little from the VBS1 guys, but when a VBS1 addon is added it looks alot like some that we've already made. Not having VBS1 and the addon CD's, I'm not 100% if this is true and if so the only things that could be done is to improve the CPP and scripts for the Addon.

So, what I put forward to ALL the addon and mod. makers, is that we should work together more than we have and make OFP/R better than VBS1, which we can do, and in some cases have already done (Weapon Standards) which was started awhile ago, and something I plan to get back into, now I've got the time to do so.

But this will be a waste of time if we can't agree to work together to set a set of standards for our Addon's. I'd like to see addon's being added with a close as possible RealWorld effects, both for weapons and armour.

I look forward to your replies.

DragoFire

Guest major gandhi

the simliarity between a lot of vbs and ofp-usermade addons isthere because some talented addon-makers changed to vbs1 and took their modells with them.

I think everybody is so excited about vbs1 because of the way it was promoted and its price which makes it unaittanable for most ofp-players.

The only difference between ofp + its usermade Addons and Vbs1 is that there are standards for weapon values etc the whole interface was reworked, some editing commands were added, the Addons were done by proffessionals and that you have to spent 400 € to totally enjoy this game. If you play a mod like FDF or csla you have all these qualities of VBS without the scripting commands but with 400 € left in your pocket!

Moreover there are a lot of single addons that surpass the Addon quality of the VBS1-addons. Juts look at the british troops from ukf, no VBS1 unit has such nice textures.

fazit: VBS1 sucks extremly, forget about it and continue playing OFP:R biggrin_o.gif

is it possible to use the ofp addons in vbs1.

if yes, how.

can you just copy them in or do you have to change something?

Hmm well it seems my words were deliberately ignored, shame sad_o.gif