Sign in to follow this  
Confucius

the Chain of Command announces the Binviewer!

Hi everybody,

the Chain of Command is pleased to announce you all the release of Binview. A windows utility for viewing and converting OFP game binaries (like config.bin etc...)

Quote[/b] ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary gamefile viewer for Operation Flashpoint V1.00

------------------------------------------------------

Created by Confucius for the Chain of Command project.

Special thanks to BN880 for his support and help while

completing this utility. Also many thanks to our

BETA-testing team who made this public release

possible.

Please visit us at www.thechainofcommand.com.

For further help and information on this release

please visit our forums.

Usage:

Exported file is compatible with standard (OFP)

.cpp-format. The decoded files can therefore be used

to replace any existing binary file.

Installation:

Execute the installer... smile_o.gif

Known issues:

- Opening the wgl config.bin will cause an error

Legal stuff:

Use at your own risk. Program is to be distributed

free of charge, further information is provided in the

official Chain of Command © EULA which is included

in the setup.

Version history:

V1.0

----

- Public release version

Currently available at OFPEC... enjoy!!!

Confucius

developer @ the Chain of Command

Well, I won't deeplink the guys at OFPEC. Just check their site, you'll find it at their Intelligence depot...

Thank you so much for this,

For my own small BIS units replacement I was using a "recreated" config.cpp as i never really succeeded in using the commented BIS config with binarize

Now i will be able to use the cpp version of the real thing.

And great neat thing , it works very well with cpp2bin .

Thank you a very lot.

Guest major gandhi

what happened to the command engine 03 project? rock.gif

Hi all

This tool has been in use in The Chain Of Command for the past year to year and a half.

It has been in delvelopment that long we try to release things that work properly. You may have noticed we rarely have to release a patch for our work that is because we spend time testing it first.

Other stuff

We continue on with CE3 it is a realy complex program and bin view has been used in its development as part of our internal beta testing tools. There are others but they are some time off release. Like BinViewer was at the start a year back they are a bit user unfriendly. It is our concern to get something out that works as it should that makes releases take a little longer. 

UA1.1 is in final beta now all features are now set.

We are working on some other nice suprise toys too wink_o.gif  smile_o.gif

Kind Regards Walker

Project Leader of The Chain of Command.

....and that's why we love you Walker biggrin_o.gif Well done!

Hi Leone

Err actualy I did nothing on this project other than some simple beta testing.

This one is down mostly to Confucius with a little help from BN880

Kind Regards Walker

err...well Confucius and BN then! tounge_o.gif

Oh yes! wow_o.gif Finally something to save me some time of configuration editing, well, at list I hoppe so biggrin_o.gif

Thanks CoC.

Regards.

@CERO.

So now I can change everything for myself.

cold war crisis -> spec op compaign (Laser Delts)

resistance -> merc compaign (BAS Mercs)

cool.

About fecking time!

Almost no .bin is safe.

Mwuah-ha-mo'fuggin-ha!

I was wondering if this was ever going to get finished.

Cheers.

Cool! Great work!

I used technology preview version to examine save files, it helped me understand how Flashpoint works a lot. smile_o.gif

For showing U can save bin with?

Rien a foutre.

Sorry uiox, he meant for viewing .fps files.

Internally at the CoC, we've benefited enormously from having access to beta versions of binviewer. For me, the strongest feature of it has been the ability to decrypt the save.fps and autosave.fps. I've used the export variable values extensively in development of the artillery: we would set up a test firing range, fill up an array with values and savegame, then use binviewer to export the array to an .sqf file. (where denoir would then grab the values and teach them to a neural net).

For debugging, it's been invaluable, especially for debugging scripts in addons late in the development process.

Consider the following:

I'm testing UA 1.1. We're late in the process, so everything has been rolled into an addon -- no scripts in the mission folder. Worse, I'm testing online with a dedicated server and 3 other players. 50 minutes in, for no apparent reason, the M109 howitzers stop responding to requests. The command scripts are on the (ded) server. With a regular console, like VB's, I can get the values of a few global variables pertaining to that unit. With a CoC_NS based console, I can ask for each of the global variables on the server, but I'm still stabbing in the dark.

or I can send a savegame command to the server, then download the autosave.fps file, and run it through binviewer. that will give me a complete dump of what OFP was doing at the time. I can see all the scripts that were running, at what line they were running, and what all the variable values -- global and local -- were. In other words, we now have the ability to do a complete dump of the ofp program.

Fortunately, Confucius was able to find the time to polish this product up to a level where it could be released to the OFP community. Most people won't find much of a use for it, and I'm guessing won't give a damn about it.

Those who will find it useful are those who make extensive use of scripting, and build complicated scripted systems.

Hi all

I think Dinger's description of BinViewer in use shows its great value as a debuger and OFP core dump tool to advanced addon makers, scripters and MODers.

For the average OFP user it is of little interest other than to satisfy your curiosity as to the complexity of OFP and how it works, but for some of those, it may act as a spur and a slightly easier entry in to that complexity than Confucius, Bn880, Dinger, Denoir, Matthias, Spinor, Kegetys, SelectThis, Snypir et al all experienced three years back when we all started to learn about OFP.

For those of us involved in advancing OFP to its maximum potential it is a tool of serious importance.

Kind Regards Walker

it seems the viewer could come in handy when debuging smile_o.gif

Hey guys,

well... there's not much I have to add to the comments placed by my teammates, there's one small thing however... Unfortunately exporting of variables is currently unavailable in this version of the binviewer. Most of the public version of the tool was re-coded to ensure better performance (both for preventing errors and speed improvement). Didn't get round to that feature though... I will continue development and in time this (and other new features) will become available to everyone interested. Either as separate utilities or as added functionality to this tool. smile_o.gif

Cheers...

i get an error message when i open config.cpp files with it other than that it works flawlessy if you want ill post the error message?