Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Medieval addons

I just recently checked out medieval: total war (damn great game), and I thought it would be a cool idea to make some medieval addons for OFP. Obviously battles could not be as large scale, and cavalry would be impossible, but something like a siege would be the coolest thing ever in OFP. Heres what I was thinking:

-Swordsmen and spearmen could be done in the way the axe and baton were done in FDF, the only problem would be getting AI to attack with them. Since a way to block attacks would not be possible, maybe the weapon swing animation could be applyed to a walking or running movement, so dodging could be done?

-Archers would probably have to have the bow as a secondary (RPG/LAW type) weapon, so that the arrow can dissappear after firing, and also because it looks damn cool to see a volley of arrows in the air. This would work out perfectly because then the archers could have some kind of small sword as a backup weapon. Crossbows could also be done in a similar fashion.

-Siege weapons could also be done. A catapult just has the rotating motion, which I'm sure can be done as an eventhandler for fired. I guess it could have a gunner and a commander as well. It could be done like the unmovable static AT4's are, since in those you can see the missile moving, and a slower moving boulder or whatever can be done that way. Ballista (those large crossbow type weapons), can just be done the same way.

-Another idea I had was for those ladders that attacking armies would put up along the castles walls and climb to the top. Since there are already ladders in ofp, I think there can be some way of scripting this and making some AI soldiers climb to the top. Also, some kind of battering ram may be done, but I'm really unsure of how that might work

If anyone actually takes upon making anything like this, I can easily make models and textures for the soldiers and weapons. If I knew scripting better I would seriously do this all by myself, but I've never actually tried scripting so I have no clue how some of this stuff can be done. smile_o.gif

I think this is a cool idea, would give ya goosebumps to play as an archer wouldn't it. You'd need a Medieval Island though...

First and foremost you'd have to find some talent in Medieval history and modeling. Next config makers, and an average island dude.

I was thinking for an island that Nogova could be converted into medieval times. That would would be something IMO. biggrin_o.gif All of the castle ruins would be restored, and most cities would be gone, and maybe petrovice and lipany could be more major villages, with some of the other small towns converted into villages.

Animations would also be a bit of a problem, since new reload and stance animations would have to be made, especially for the bows. Even tho such a project would be quite difficult a battle could be pretty fun even if just two units were made for each side, say a swordsman and an archer.

Me at OFPEC:

Quote[/b] ]I would like to see this:

"1: 5, SUPPORT Plauge Civillian 5 o'clock"

"5: SUPPORTING"

"1: CONTACT"

"1: 3, 4, 6 ENGAGE Rider of France 2 o'clock"

"3: ENGAGING"

"4: d**n, 6, IS DOWN"

"4: 3 IS DOWN"

"4: Rider of Framce IS HISTORY"

"1: CLEAR"

And the english soldiers continue their mission in a nice lil' wedge formation. Just something simple as the briefing makes a problem. Where did they get that notebook from?

I don't think any eras before gun powder was made (and used) is very suitable for OFP. Go play medieval instead, at least you can vote on it in my list (see sign) . smile_o.gif

there was a medieval mod a while a go and they made some stuff

they made a crossbow

and there are mules in ofp (half a horse)

Hey! That was my old mod. biggrin_o.gif

It was too ambitious, the problem we quickly ran into was a total lack of animators. Plus at the time, scripting was still in its infancy and it was very hard to actually put anything into practice. I was also only just learning to model (see the crossbow lol *winces*) and i couldnt texture or config at the time sad_o.gif

But on the plus side, i reckon it would be very doable now, as long as you could get access to good animators and scripters. I, however don't have time for this anymore, i have another mod, this time more suitable for the games engine smile_o.gif

PS:We also made an awesome looking horse, textured nicely and all, BUT, it went to another mod for animation and thats the last i ever saw or heard of it.....