philcommando

Deployment Area Tents

pics:-

tent1.jpg

tent2.jpg

tent3.jpg

tent4.jpg

tent5.jpg

Not many armies or supporting arms on the move will have the luxury of housing in concrete structures and in the field, modular tents are the only way to weather the elements. This pack is to simulate such for field HQ from company size and above with the necessary soldiers within the tents to simulate such.

Attached are:-

1. Communications tent

2. Briefing tent

3. QM tent

4. OC tent

5. Sleeping Quarters.

6. A sample deployment site with proxies in place.

In real such sites are usually very difficult to find (unlike in ofp where u can see in editor where they are)and commandos are used to hunt them down, from there, they could:-

1. Direct action on the HQ staff ( not that critcal as they can be easily replaced)

2. Artillery or air strikes ( good to delay them for a while)

3. Collect intelligence on movement within site or better steal - get in close and steal their maps, get the info back as fast as possible..this is of critical value as with such info, u know where the other units and supporting units are and will be a death blow to the enemy.

I have send the zip file to the download sites..just wait a couple of days and u oughta be able to download them. Have fun smile_o.gif

Everything looks great! It does show alot of thought and work went into this addon. Very clever indeed. I cannot wait for the download, a definite upgrade to those BIS tents crazy_o.gif

err.. they are only simple tents with a couple of tables and chairs and some proxies to make it less tedious for mission makers to create missions. In truth, the design of the tents was based on the american model circa. 1950s till 1970s..still widely used today by some units of the american army, the British and commonwealth nations. As for making tents pack...lol!...nah..i am a never a good addonmaker, maysome texture God do a better one, i want that too! tounge_o.gif

Great work, so far. I'd like to see more modern kit, though. Yes, some of those tents are still in use, but the American military for the most part is procurring more modern tents these days.

http://www.tacticalgearcommand.com/ModularTents.pdf

http://ct.dscp.dla.mil/ctinfo/basecamp/mgpts/mgpts.htm

http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/field/canvas/

http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/media/fact/shelter/barebase.htm

At last it is possible smile_o.gif

Few months ago i was asking for something like that on OFPEC, but noone did it sad_o.gif

philcommando u r great !

And i have a question if is it possible to make "waiting room" for lets say 9-12 crewmembers, but this way that when enterig they leaves their rifles in the racks and when deploying getting them back? Of course without animations, just for effect they r sitting relaxed waiting for start.

And do u know that adwertising of Microsoft without written permition is forbidden? tounge_o.gif

hey thanks guys for the comments and hosting for this simple addon. Much appreciated wink_o.gif

hey fangs..nice tents, am drooling over it..but sigh...most armies would preffer quick and fast packing tents on the go..but it would be great if someone can make something like that for the afghan and iraq campaign as most of the units there do stay put for long periods of time.:)

hmm..Grizzlie, for that u may need a whole new animation and i am an absolute 'animation idiot'..lol!..my german is non-existant to use the great animation helper...and er..perhaps i should collect some advertising pennies from bill gates instead for putting it onto the laptop? tounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

I thought without animations - somekind like move in cargo with removeweapon combination while entering, and unnassing + give rifle back while exiting

Wow!!!  Awesome work Philcommando!!!  Yeah the tents are a wee bit outdated but still they look fairly close to those used by most US Army units.  I have used both the old canvas tents and the more modern plastic ones with the A-Frames.   The main difference from yours is that on the sides they have screened windows with rain covers over them that roll up like the ones on some of the links FerretFangs posted.

However inside, yours actually looks more like these tents.  The old canvas ones used wooden tent poles.

Below is a pic of the old canvas tents.  You can see the wooden tent poles on the ground:

base8.jpg

If you put a cross bar going across the tent poles on your tent addons, you'd have an A-frame like those used on current US Army tents.  That and screen windows (or just textures showing the flaps on the side covering the screen windows) would make it look like the most widely used plastic tents in the U.S. Army.  

It is suprisingly difficult to find pics of these current issue tents, but below is one small pic.  It's not very good, but you can see the plastic tents in the background.  Not sure what the white thigns are on the top...don't remember those...but the rest of the tent looks as I remember them.  Notice the screen windows on th sides and the rolled up covers above the windows:

3_tents.jpg

Harriet-1.jpg

genjm1616PRY.jpg

Sadly I can't find pictures of the U.S. Army tent poles/A-Frames.   They would not be difficult to model.  Anyone in the U.S. Army who remembers ramming in pins into the poles and trying to set these things up in thunderstorms or in snow will never forget them.  The side panels are also strapped together with 550 cord (paracord) that you must use to weave the sections together.   At any rate, its something any soldier will never forget.  LOL!  

They are good tents however.  I'm sure the latest ones now being issued will be even better.

*EDIT*

Ah here we go...in the background above the nurse, you can see part of the A-frame section. smile_o.gif However this particular type of tent is a believe a different model made for medical use.

white-coc148fsb.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

How about bleachers that can fit maybe 2 or 3 full squads for larger briefings.

bleachers.jpg

Good job PhillC,  they will be a versatile addition to missions!

Just a question,  could you make the Mission board in the briefing tent animate to allow a 'slideshow projector' type briefing?  What I mean is: could you make it to hold different images, so mission designers could post their objectives and critical info on it? (PowerPoint for OFP tounge_o.gif )  That would be great for cutscenes and in missions too (to steal the intel).

this is really good stuff smile_o.gif

but im getting a sound glitch...everytime i nade a tent, after the explosion theres a weird sound that stays for a while, anyone else getting this?

I also suggested this exact thing at OFPEC and I was referred to something else. The use of proxies is the key point.

Excellent work.

--Ben

Tks Miles & all for the comments and pics. Guess there are really many variations to the tents; Nato,Warsaw Pact, Chicom, BritComm, etc...lol!.thats why i had to go back to the very first design of the modular tent - portable, easy to pack and unpack, wont take up much storage space for armies on the go. I wouldnt be surprised if the impending battle looming up between China, US and Taiwan, such tents would still be used(with the US aircraft carriers parked recently in the Taiwan Straits, i'll bet the Chicom are hopping mad and incensed!!! ) crazy_o.gif

Scrub:- yup..its possible to use a cylinder rotation animation with perhaps 24pics on it simulating power point presentation, would have to remake the model though....actually as for stealing info, i was thinking more in lines of stealing a whole laptop addon which was released recently or a billboard addon placed inside the tent by mission makers to show where the other units are so that the player can radio the co-ordinates for air-strikes, if he can get into the HQ without being discovered! tounge_o.gif

This is only a simple addon and i am sure there are much more room for improvement and innovation. All the best to mission makers and mod teams. tounge_o.gif