Sign in to follow this  
The Real Armstrong

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII

VERY nice game tounge_o.gif My favourite 3 things are:

#1 Being able to disable tanks/heavy vehicles by shooting off tracks or destroying wheels E.g: Got a tiger comming towards your sherman? blow its tracks off then get out of sight, send an engineer soldier and make him put some tnt behind it and boom. biggrin_o.gif

#2 Destroying any buildings. Got a sniper in a church tower picking off you men? no problem, destroy the tower with a tank or AT launcher.

#3 Direct control feature. With this you can control you vehicles E.g: Control a willys jeep and drive around with the arrow keys or get in a tank and use the mouse to aim the gun (same with soldiers). biggrin_o.gif

that´s indeed very nice, but i have to add a big contra:

#4: this game is feckin´ hard  crazy_o.gif  

i did not manage to complete 1 single mission (randomly tried 4-6 msissions)

now putting all my hope into the 40 mb patch i just downloaded, will see tomorrow if anything changes

edit: lol, me cannot count anymore tounge_o.gif

You wont finish the game in 1 day. oh no, more like a year<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>(and a day)</span>. tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gifwink_o.gif

That's one of the things I really liked about this game (the difficulty) It's really more like the good old days when games were almost impossible to beat, this game is far from impossible though. Save alot and keep your head cool biggrin_o.gif

VERY nice game tounge_o.gif My favourite 3 things are:

#1 Being able to disable tanks/heavy vehicles by shooting off tracks or destroying wheels E.g: Got a tiger comming towards your sherman? blow its tracks off then get out of sight, send an engineer soldier and make him put some tnt behind it and boom. biggrin_o.gif

#2 Destroying any buildings. Got a sniper in a church tower picking off you men? no problem, destroy the tower with a tank or AT launcher.

#3 Direct control feature. With this you can control you vehicles E.g: Control a willys jeep and drive around with the arrow keys or get in a tank and use the mouse to aim the gun (same with soldiers). biggrin_o.gif

that´s indeed very nice, but i have to add a big contra:

#4: this game is feckin´ hard  crazy_o.gif  

i did not manage to complete 1 single mission (randomly tried 4-6 msissions)

now putting all my hope into the 40 mb patch i just downloaded, will see tomorrow if anything changes

edit: lol, me cannot count anymore  tounge_o.gif

yeah freakin' difficult

but no one would to the same mistake again...except Mr Burns..

driving into a Minefield 2 times lol

Awesome game! Just bought it tonight. I just love to roam around with Tiger and crush everything in sight.     biggrin_o.gif

Probably my favourite RTS-game (stealing the throne from Commandos 2). It has the perfect amount of micro management. Though they could have made a  quicker way to move ammo and shells from one tank to another. Love the part where you can steal fuel and ammo from burned out (but not completely destroyed) vehicles.

Btw you can take the machineguns off the tanks and use them on foot. The Browning M2 .50 is fun to carry around playing Terminator LOL  biggrin_o.gif

This game is superb in coop by the way. Atleast there are still a few developers who appreciate the importance in coop.

I've finnished the US campaign, I've played three German missions, 2 or 3 Soviet missions and I'm still stuck on the first British mission.

So far I find the US missions the most entertaining. Gotta love the aknowlodge you get when you order an american to move tounge_o.gif

Let's put our heads in the meatgrinder

Like I said, I'm stuck on the first British mission.

All enemies are dead, but the two cannons are still functioning. I can't find any explosives. How am I supposed to destroy them? Use 200 potatomashers?

Only objective left is to destroy the artillery (the two cannons).

OK, there are a few sulotions to take out the cannons, these I find the best working:

a) Take fuel barrels from docks and blow em up.

b) 1 TNT in a barrel at the right gun, blow up the other with either the 1st cannon (recommended) or some fuel barrels.

Think of not loosing any men as you will have the same guys throughout the campaign.

Take fuel barrels from docks and blow em up.

Never thought of that.

Quote[/b] ]blow up the other with either the 1st cannon (recommended)

I tried using the cannon closest to the lighthouse and destroy the other cannon but missed with the few shots I had.

Quote[/b] ]Think of not loosing any men as you will have the same guys throughout the campaign.

Damn. I don't get any re-enforcments at all?

I lost the machinegunner, so I have two men left.

In the American campaign only one mission forces you to use what you had from the end of the last mission. Are you saying the whole British campaign works like that?

yes you won't get reinforcment...

you're playing a SAS team so everyman is important

i've just lost one in the mission, i've to destroy that convoy coming down the road.... fucking Panther

*****SPOILER UK MISSION 1 ******

I destroyed the canons differently.

When you go up from the left canon to the bunker you see shells lying there.

- Take a shell

- drop it next to the canon

- stand back

- Throw grenade at shell

- boom

- repeat for canon 2

When the canon doesnt blow you put the shel too close or too far, you should see the shell lying next to the canon, if you dont see it lying there you put it too close.

Dont forget to shoot the lighthouse to pieces before destroying the left canon. Didn t find another way to destroy the lighthouse then with the canon.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

sounds intruigingly OK, but I'm always a bit careful with initial enthusiasm (I don't know your average age & such ...)

any screenshots to convince me?

what about system specs? will my GF4 MX do the job?

Am I right that there's no server browser in this game? Can't see it anywhere.  rock.gif

Am I right that there's no server browser in this game? Can't see it anywhere. rock.gif

Indeed you are.

I have been playing soldiers for a week now, real difficult but real fun too. smile_o.gif

Bit laggy on my Ti4200 though. sad_o.gif

Am I right that there's no server browser in this game? Can't see it anywhere.  rock.gif

It will be fixed with a patch that is out in September. While you wait you have to get games via IRC and a webpage.

Quote[/b] ]The offical Soldiers channels are:

#showw2 @ quakenet (like everything else)

and

#showw2.match @ quakenet

You can also check out:

http://www.vap3r.com/showw2find/index.php

Until the MP patch come out.

There is one small "bug" regarding the team going on to the next mission. I am not totally sure this works with manpower, but it does with equipment being saved.

When you go on to the next mission, try going back to the campaign screen and selecting the second UK mission. You should now have a full team with all the right equipment. As I said, I am not 100% sure it works, but it works with equipment (which I found out the hard way in the last UK mission. I had collected alot of panzershrecks and AT rockets in the previous mission. Then I shut down the game to resume playing later. When I came back all I had was Sten guns and rifles on my men sad_o.gif )

It will be fixed with a patch that is out in September. While you wait you have to get games via IRC and a webpage.

Quote[/b] ]The offical Soldiers channels are:

#showw2 @ quakenet (like everything else)

and

#showw2.match @ quakenet

You can also check out:

http://www.vap3r.com/showw2find/index.php

Until the MP patch come out.

Well that's good news. But maybe I practise my skills in SP untill that.  smile_o.gif

UK Mission1: After I blew up one of the cannons with the other I walked to the small camp (center on map). There are 3 or 4 tents there and some houses. There are also lots of boxes there. In one pile there are 5 or 6 dynamites in them. So I just used the good old dynamite to destroy the second cannon.

Now I'm stuck at the swamp-mission.

I've cleared the crash-site. Have one fully working armoured car with MG at my disposal. But I can't seem to find my way to the evac-point. Whenever one of my soldiers enter the water they die. There are two or three soldiers still alive at the farm. I did'nt want to kill everyone again because as soon as I do that, a convoy with lots of men and armoured cars arrive from the south.

UK Mission1: After I blew up one of the cannons with the other I walked to the small camp (center on map). There are 3 or 4 tents there and some houses. There are also lots of boxes there. In one pile there are 5 or 6 dynamites in them. So I just used the good old dynamite to destroy the second cannon.

Now I'm stuck at the swamp-mission.

I've cleared the crash-site. Have one fully working armoured car with MG at my disposal. But I can't seem to find my way to the evac-point. Whenever one of my soldiers enter the water they die. There are two or three soldiers still alive at the farm. I did'nt want to kill everyone again because as soon as I do that, a convoy with lots of men and armoured cars arrive from the south.

I went berzerk at the farm and the dog mentioned in the briefing appeared and guided me through the swamp. wow_o.gif

I think the dog became collateral in my mission sad_o.gif

had a look at some pictures

"soldiers" turns out to be an RTS, am I right?

how can you say "I walked to ...", "the dog guided me" etc. when there is no convincing visual depth? or is there an additional FPS mode as well?

"soldiers" turns out to be an RTS, am I right?

how can you say "I walked to ...", "the dog guided me" etc.

There are triggers in this game rock.gif

You also have the ability to take direct control of one unit at a time at any given moment. You then control them with the arrow-keys and aim with your mouse.

Did this answer your question?

No worries. That mission was dead easy anyway.

I'll just restart it dancingbanana.gifdancingbanana.gifdancingbanana.gif