Sign in to follow this  
walker

The Iraq thread 4

That young marine dying is sad. Meh, that's what happens when you start invading countries. People go over there and see some nasty stuff.

Quote[/b] ]Andres Raya, who police say seemed determined to die rather than return to Iraq, was dead.

Ceres police officer Sam Ryno, 50, was hospitalized with multiple gunshot wounds. He was in critical condition Monday, and is expected to recover.

Monday, detectives from sev-eral law enforcement agencies — from the Ceres police to the FBI — sifted through events leading to Sunday's carnage.

Officers were still struggling to figure out what drove Raya to fire on officers.

"It was premeditated, planned, an ambush," Ceres Police Chief Art de Werk said. "It was a suicide by cop."

However you can really tell the guy sort of lost it.

He'd rather die than go back to Iraq. So dying in the united states is better than dying there? Maybe I guess. Still. He's dead now. Either way he's going to be without his family.

Apparently it wasn't any old semi-automatic rifle:

Quote[/b] ]Julia Cortez Raya said Monday that her son served in Fallujah: "He came back different."

Raya told family members he did not want to return to Iraq. But his father said the family believed by the end of his holiday visit, Raya had decided to make the best of the 2Ë years he had left in the Marines.

He rejoined his unit at Camp Pendleton on Jan. 2. Sheriff's Lt. Bill Heyne said Raya was last seen at Camp Pendleton Saturday.

He reportedly told fellow soldiers he was going to get a quick bite to eat. Instead, he showed up in Ceres 24 hours later, armed with an SKS assault rifle. The rifle is a Chinese version of the weapon that Raya was trained to use in the Marines, Heyne said.

Why would he have been trained to use an SKS rifle? A marine using that rifle? Kinda odd don't you think?

Kinda pisses me off these psychos are committing all their crimes with SKS rifles (that crazy laotian hunter a few weeks back). It's starting to really give them a bad reputation. I always really liked the SKS. Even though I've read they're finnicky to a dangerous fault.

Anyhow the link supplied below offers a detailed analysis and chronology of the events.

My lizzink.

Quote[/b] ]He reportedly told fellow soldiers he was going to get a quick bite to eat. Instead, he showed up in Ceres 24 hours later, armed with an SKS assault rifle. The rifle is a Chinese version of the weapon that Raya was trained to use in the Marines, Heyne said.

Why would he have been trained to use an SKS rifle? A marine using that rifle? Kinda odd don't you think?

Kinda pisses me off these psychos are committing all their crimes with SKS rifles (that crazy laotian hunter a few weeks back). It's starting to really give them a bad reputation. I always really liked the SKS. Even though I've read they're finnicky to a dangerous fault.

Anyhow the link supplied below offers a detailed analysis and chronology of the events.

My lizzink.

in case when everything goes down the gutter and have to use dead enemys rifle, soldiers aer trained to be familiar with eney's weapons.

on top of that SKS is pretty much the cheaper semi-auto rifle available, especially in CA.

edit: I think it's just about time to ask question: Where is WMD? wink_o.gif

Obviously not in Iraq (bbc news):

Quote[/b] ]Intelligence officials have confirmed the US has stopped searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

They say the chief US investigator, Charles Duelfer, is not planning to return to the country.

Mr Duelfer reported last year that Iraq had no stockpiles of chemical or biological weapons at the time of the US-led invasion nearly two years ago.

The existence of WMD had been the stated reason in Washington and London for going to war with Iraq.

Quote[/b] ]Former US inspector David Kay told the BBC's Radio 4 PM programme this was the expected outcome:

"You cannot believe how hard it is to motivate people in the field who know that all they are doing is going through busy work motions because they themselves know there are no weapons there.

"I faced that over a year ago with a team that essentially knew that we were right when we said they were no weapons."

He said the ISG's document search would now focus on the continued insurgency in Iraq and the money flow issue surrounding the oil-for-food programme.

Former head of UN weapons inspections Hans Blix also said there was no surprise in the announcement.

"We have believed that there weren't any weapons since around May or June 2003. First came David Kay in September 2003 [who said] that he hadn't found any weapons and that was a big sensation - but he thought that there were programmes still," he told the BBC.

"But then came Duelfer last November [who] said that he hadn't seen any programmes, but maybe Saddam would have intended to restart the programme, and there is no evidence of that.

Mr Blix said he assumed it would be natural for the United States to now report their finding to the UN Security Council "because the US took the inspections out of the hands of the UN to undertake it themselves".

Quote[/b] ]Why would he have been trained to use an SKS rifle? A marine using that rifle? Kinda odd don't you think?
Quote[/b] ] The rifle is a Chinese version of the weapon that Raya was trained to use in the Marines, Heyne said.

I think it's the press messing it up. He was in the marines, so maybe it was the m14 he was trained with. The press might have thought that the Chinese SKS is a make off of the m14.

I mean, it's not like alot of these press people can tell between most guns anyways.

Quote[/b] ]Why would he have been trained to use an SKS rifle? A marine using that rifle? Kinda odd don't you think?
Quote[/b] ] The rifle is a Chinese version of the weapon that Raya was trained to use in the Marines, Heyne said.

I think it's the press messing it up. He was in the marines, so maybe it was the m14 he was trained with. The press might have thought that the Chinese SKS is a make off of the m14.

I mean, it's not like alot of these press people can tell between most guns anyways.

No, Ralph had it right (still hate you, Ralph). I have seen pictures of Marines and etc using AKs and etc. to become familiar with them.

edit:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinel....AK1.jpg

Quote[/b] ] BAGHDAD - Iraq's military has rapidly expanded and sent forces throughout the country in an effort to ensure security for the Jan. 30 elections.

Iraqi and U.S. officials said that over the last six months the Iraq Army has grown in size and capability. They said that from a nascent force in July 2004, the army now operates nine divisions throughout Iraq, Middle East Newsline reported.

Over the next few weeks, officials said, a range of new units would be launched in both the army and air force. So far, the Iraq Army and Intervention Force consist of 18 battalions, a major increase from one battalion in July 2004.

By late February, nine additional military battalions were scheduled to become operational, officials said. They said several of the battalions would be ready in time for national elections, scheduled for Jan. 30.

"It's a difficult mission, but we will do it," Prime Minister Iyad Alawi told army cadets on Jan. 6. "You brothers, members of the army forces, will face crucial challenges, but I am confident of your ability to overcome them with your heads up."

One of the leading military units include the Muthanna Brigade. The brigade, originally formed to secure Baghdad, now has three battalions in operation, officials said.

Officials said the Muthanna brigade has deployed a battalion each in Baghdad, Faluja, and North Babil. An additional battalion was undergoing training.

The Iraqi National Guard would be incorporated into the regular army, officials said. Officials said the ING has been comprised of 42 operational battalions, increased to 65 battalions over the next few months.

"It [iNG incorporation into the army] will ensure unity of command and effort to meet the security challenges we currently face," Iraqi Chief of Staff Gen. Babakir Al Zibari said.

The Iraq Army has also increased its special operations forces. They include Iraq's Special Operations Brigade, with a counter-insurgency force and a commando battalion.

Over the next week, Iraq's first mechanized battalion would become operational, officials said. They said the remaining elements of the 1st Mechanized Brigade would be trained and equipped by the summer of 2005. In all, 4,000 soldiers were undergoing military training.

The Iraqi military has been trained by 2,000 soldiers from the United States and other coalition members in cooperation with the Iraqi Defense Ministry. Officials said the trainers were developing both combat and support elements of the Iraqi military.

"We are building an entire infrastructure," Lt. Gen. David Petraeus, responsible for training Iraqi security forces, said.

Iraq has also been expanding naval and air capabilities. Officials said Iraq's Coastal Defense Force, or navy, contains five patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

The Iraq Air Force has two operational squadrons equipped with nine reconnaissance aircraft that operate at all hours. Officials said that over the next week two additional squadrons would be formed — one comprised of three U.S.-origin C-130E air transports and the other that would consist of two UH-1 utility helicopters. They said the air force would also receive 14 additional UH-1s and four Bell Jet Ranger helicopters.

From

No, Ralph had it right (still hate you, Ralph). I have seen pictures of Marines and etc using AKs and etc. to become familiar with them.

edit:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinel....AK1.jpg

Didn't know they did training with those. My mistake then. But then, I remember reading that article of soldiers in Iraq with AK's and SKS's because of ammo/weapon shortage or something like that.

But then, I remember reading that article of soldiers in Iraq with AK's and SKS's because of ammo/weapon shortage or something like that.

the weapons assigned to tank and APC drivers and etc. were M9 pistols, which is not the best weapon when you have to jump out of APC and chase the enemy with an AK.

some soldiers who could show their proficiency with AKs were allowed to carry those.

Just saw the vid of that shootout (no linky for nobody ). The magazine was too large for a SKS unless he bought a 20rd mag or something (I'm a newbie) for it and looks like he fired burst one time...  sad_o.gif  suicide by cop  sad_o.gif  

the video i saw showed angle where officers approach the suspect from top left corner and when the suspect sees it, retreats and produces the rifle. from my count it was about 10 or 11 rounds.

edit: i see you got my warning for your sig. wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

the video i saw showed angle where officers approach the suspect from top left corner and when the suspect sees it, retreats and produces the rifle. from my count it was about 10 or 11 rounds.

edit: i see you got my warning for your sig. wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

There is another camera angle (right in front of the store)  in which you can see the mag. and does not look like the standard mag that the SKS has. Also, the timer shows that this video of him was right after he goes back to corner at the end of the other camera angle video (the one you saw). Furthermore, he shoots some more and does not reload. So that make +10 rounds fired...more than SKS can fire without buying special mag.

What a waste of a marine and police officers...

edit: fear me!

it's not clear enough. it could be his poncho and/or hand. I saw enlarged photo and it was hard to tell from there too. furthermore, it could a pre-ban one.

Quote[/b] ]fear me!

why should I Mr. Hello Kitty Sig? tounge_o.gif

delllaptop.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/13/objecting.soldier.ap/index.html

Quote[/b] ]SAVANNAH, Georgia (AP) -- A mechanic with nine years in the Army, including a role in the assault on Baghdad, has refused to return to Iraq, claiming "you just don't know how bad it is."

Sgt. Kevin Benderman, 40, said he became morally opposed to war after seeing it firsthand during his first Iraq tour. Now he faces a possible court-martial after failing to deploy Friday with his unit.

"I told them that I refused deployment because I just couldn't go back over there," Benderman said Wednesday. "If I'm going to sit up there and tell everyone that I do not believe in war, why would I go back to a war zone?"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/13/iraq/index.html

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD (CNN) -- Gunmen killed the director of a Baghdad election center Thursday, another in a series of attacks targeting election officials and candidates as the vote set for January 30 approaches.

Baghdad police, who reported the slaying, did not release the director's name. He was in charge of an election center in the al-Khadoumiyah neighborhood in the northern part of Baghdad.

Also on Thursday, the Democratic Islamic Party announced Iraqi presidential candidate Mithal al-Alousi was targeted for the second time in two weeks.

Al-Alousi, who supports normal relations between Iraq and Israel, was attacked Tuesday at midnight in western Baghdad.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/12/powell.troops.iraq/index.html

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States might be able to withdraw some troops from Iraq this year if Iraqi forces can take a greater role in security, Secretary of State Colin Powell said Wednesday.

"With the assumption of that greater burden, the burden on our troops should go down, and we should start to see our numbers going in the other direction," Powell said in an interview with National Public Radio.

"But I cannot give you a timeline as to when they'll all be home."

Are there recorded figures for the number of Iraqi police or national guard that have been killed in action? I dont think i've ever heard a figure.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/14/iraq.main/index.html

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi police searched Friday for 28 prisoners from Abu Ghraib who escaped while being transported to another facility in Baghdad, police and U.S. military spokesmen said.

Two police officers may have been involved in Thursday night's escape, Iraqi officials said.

The detainees were aboard a bus from the prison to another Iraqi correctional facility, said Lt. Col. Barry Johnson.

Iraqi police said several detainees had their hands bound with rope.

The inmates loosened the rope and managed to overpower the police and guards. One took an AK-47 assault rifle from a police officer and shot the officer, critically wounding him, police said. Four guards and the bus driver were severely beaten, police said.

Handcuffs and rope were found scattered in the street afterward.

The 38 detainees on the bus initially escaped, but Iraqi police said they captured 10 of them shortly afterward.

A source with the Iraqi Interior Ministry said authorities were investigating the trip because it was odd for prisoners to be moved at night with little security.

Officials said they are questioning the detainees who were recaptured.

Iraqi authorities have set up checkpoints in the area around the Sa'alam neighborhood of western Baghdad where the escape occurred, the Interior Ministry source said.

Of the 28 escapees, two are believed to be Egyptians. The detainees are accused of committing crimes against Iraqis, ranging from murder to theft.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/14/iraq.trial.reut/index.html

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD, Iraq (Reuters) -- An American soldier was sentenced on Friday to a year in jail for the murder of a severely wounded Iraqi teenager in a Baghdad slum district during a Shi'ite uprising last year, the U.S. military said.

"Staff Sergeant Cardenas Alban was convicted on one count of murder and one count of conspiracy to murder at a court martial at the 1st Cavalry Division courthouse at Camp Liberty today," a military spokesman said.

Besides his jail term, Alban was sentenced to a reduction in rank to private and a bad-conduct discharge.

Alban is the second American soldier to be sentenced over the incident.

Staff Sergeant Johnny Horne was sentenced last month to three years in jail, reduction in rank and dishonorable discharge from the military after pleading guilty to charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Another U.S. military officer, 2nd Lt. Erick Anderson, has also been charged with premeditated murder and conspiracy to commit premeditated murder.

The cases stem from an incident on August 18 when Alban, Horne and Anderson were part of a U.S. Army patrol in the Shi'ite Muslim Sadr City district during a period of intense clashes with fighters loyal to Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

U.S. soldiers saw a group of Iraqi men in a garbage truck who they suspected were placing bombs along a road, and opened fire on them. Several Iraqis were killed.

Alban and Horne were accused of fatally shooting an Iraqi man who suffered severe abdominal wounds and burns after the initial barrage of gunfire. U.S. military officials have described the incident as a "mercy killing."

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD, Iraq (Reuters) -- An American soldier was sentenced on Friday to a year in jail for the murder of a severely wounded Iraqi teenager in a Baghdad slum district during a Shi'ite uprising last year, the U.S. military said.

"Staff Sergeant Cardenas Alban was convicted on one count of murder and one count of conspiracy to murder at a court martial at the 1st Cavalry Division courthouse at Camp Liberty today," a military spokesman said.

Besides his jail term, Alban was sentenced to a reduction in rank to private and a bad-conduct discharge.

Staff Sergeant Johnny Horne was sentenced last month to three years in jail, reduction in rank and dishonorable discharge from the military after pleading guilty to charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Another U.S. military officer, 2nd Lt. Erick Anderson, has also been charged with premeditated murder and conspiracy to commit premeditated murder.

The cases stem from an incident on August 18 when Alban, Horne and Anderson were part of a U.S. Army patrol in the Shi'ite Muslim Sadr City district during a period of intense clashes with fighters loyal to Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

U.S. soldiers saw a group of Iraqi men in a garbage truck who they suspected were placing bombs along a road, and opened fire on them. Several Iraqis were killed.

Alban and Horne were accused of fatally shooting an Iraqi man who suffered severe abdominal wounds and burns after the initial barrage of gunfire. U.S. military officials have described the incident as a "mercy killing."

I know I'd rather be shot then suffer anymore like that, thats for sure.

I know I'd rather be shot then suffer anymore like that, thats for sure.

always easier said than done.

What would you rather happen Mr. Ralph? Would you rather go on suffering with a severe abdominal wound and severe burns? I know I wouldn't.

What would you rather happen Mr.  Ralph?  Would you rather go on suffering with a severe abdominal wound and severe burns?  I know I wouldn't.

how abou you telling US soldiers over there to ask and fire instead of fire and ask?

What would you rather happen Mr. Ralph? Would you rather go on suffering with a severe abdominal wound and severe burns? I know I wouldn't.

Well it's your own decission. It's not up to the guys that wounded you to decide wheather you should be killed or not. Right?

What would you rather happen Mr.  Ralph?  Would you rather go on suffering with a severe abdominal wound and severe burns?  I know I wouldn't.

how abou you telling US soldiers over there to ask and fire instead of fire and ask?

I asked a question. wink_o.gif

i don't know if this fits 100% here...

Quote[/b] ]Graner sentenced to 10 years for abuses

He admitted to 'criminal' acts but said he was following orders

FORT HOOD, Texas (CNN) -- Army Reserve Spc. Charles Graner Jr. was sentenced Saturday to 10 years in a military prison for his role in abusing detainees at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad.

Graner, 36, will serve his prison term as a private, with no salary, and will be dishonorably discharged after he is released.

Graner stood stiffly while the sentence was read, but his brows were a bit furrowed.

After jurors left the room, Graner turned to his attorney and said, "That's what makes the world go around," and laughed slightly.

He told reporters he knew people thought he had acted "goofy" outside of the proceedings, smiling all the time, "talking about the sky being blue all the time" -- but he explained, "I'm home. I didn't think I would make it home, like some others did not."

Graner, a former prison guard in Pennsylvania, told CNN on Saturday that he had expected the maximum penalty of 15 years.

Friday, the same jury found Graner guilty of 10 charges, including aggravated assault, maltreatment and conspiracy.

Prosecutors accused Graner of being a ringleader in the physical abuse and sexual humiliation of prisoners that came to light when photos of apparent abuses were broadcast in the media in April 2004.

The Syrian prisoner whom Graner was convicted of battering testified that he was beaten by Graner while recovering from a bullet wound, and called Graner the top torturer in the prison.

Earlier Saturday during the penalty phase of his court-martial, Graner said he did not relish doling out what he described as "irregular treatment."

"I didn't enjoy it," Graner testified. "A lot of it was wrong. A lot of it was criminal."

Graner said he was obeying his superiors.

"We were called to violate the Geneva Convention," Graner said. "We were asked to do certain things I wasn't trained to do."

Graner's testimony was unsworn, meaning he could not be cross-examined.

His orders came from civilian contractors as well as military intelligence, Graner said during two-and-a-half hours on the witness stand.

"A lot of the weird stuff came from civilian contractors," he said, referring specifically to the photographs. Also, he said, "crazy stuff" was ordered by military intelligence soldiers.

When his attorney, Guy Womack, asked why he was smiling in some photographs, Graner said, "There were a lot of things we did that were screwed up. If you didn't look at it as funny, you couldn't deal with it."

Graner told jurors he respected and understood their decision to convict him.

As he was leaving the courthouse for lunch, he was asked how he thought he would be treated in a military prison. "Professionally," he responded.

Friday night, Graner's parents had asked for mercy from the military jury.

"He wanted to be [a military policeman]. God, I don't know why," said his father, Charles Graner Sr.

"I bear no malice for you. When he came home, we were going to go fishing. He was going tell me about the war," Graner said. "Now, that fishing is going to be postponed. For how long, it's going to be up to you.

"I'd get down on my knees and beg to you, but my son wouldn't let me do it."

His mother, Irma, her voice raspy from bronchitis, testified, "I love my son."

"I never had an ounce of problems with him as a child. He's kind, gentle, will do anything for anybody. He's not the one that he's being made out to be."

She said she has received phone calls from people who believe he's a hero.

"To me, he'll always be a hero," she said.

In dramatic closing arguments before the jury, prosecutors showed video and photographs of alleged abuses by Graner.

"What we have here is plain abuse, no doubt about it. There is no justification," prosecuting attorney Capt. Chris Graveline said.

But Graner's defense attorneys argued the images in the photographs were not as horrible as the prosecution made them out to be.

Graner, an Army reservist from Uniontown, Pennsylvania, is the first soldier to face trial among seven military guards charged in connection with the abuses at Abu Ghraib.

Three of those guards -- all from the 372nd Military Police Company -- have pleaded guilty in the case: Staff Sgt. Ivan Frederick II, 37, of Buckingham, Virginia; Spc. Jeremy Sivits, 24, of Fort Ashby, West Virginia; and Spc. Megan Ambuhl, 29, of Centreville, Virginia.

Graner reportedly had a relationship and fathered a baby with England, who is awaiting charges from the case.

Ambuhl testified this week that she also had a brief sexual relationship with him.

from http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/15/graner.court.martial/index.html.

good news...

smile_o.gif

Update on the marine story....

http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=9024

Quote[/b] ]

Police Paint Disturbing Picture of Man Who Killed Ceres Police Officer

During a press conference Friday afternoon, investigators in Stanislaus County said the young man who shot and killed a Ceres police officer Sunday night was a gang member and cocaine user.

The gunman, 19-year-old Andres Raya, was home on leave from the Marines when he shot and killed Sgt. Howard Stevenson and seriously wounded Officer Sam Ryno. Initially, investigators thought his problems were possibly related to his recent duty in Iraq. On Friday, however, they said that does not appear to be the case. "He never saw combat," said Lt. Bill Heyne of the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department. "He drove trucks."

Instead, investigators said Raya had strong gang ties. They showed photographs and a home videotape showing Raya in the company of known gang members and making gang signs with his hands. They said he had talked about shooting police officers and even kept a shopping list of the guns and ammunition he wanted to use.

Despite the photographs and videotape, Raya's family and friends insist he was not a gang member.

Authorities also said Raya had been arrested twice as a juvenile, but had been given a waiver from the Marines so he could enlist. One arrest was for possessing drug paraphernalia, while the other was an explosives charge for taking apart firecrackers to make small bombs.

A surveillance camera mounted ouside a Ceres liquor store caught Raya apparently laying in wait for officers, then opening firing when they appeared. After shooting Stevenson and Ryno, Raya fled into a nearby neighborhood and eluded police for three hours before he was cornered and killed in an exchange of gunfire.

A representative of the Marine Corps said if they had known of Raya's gang ties he would not have been allowed in the service.

Post mortem toxicology tests determined Raya had a significant amount of cocaine in his system when he died.

A funeral for Stevenson is scheduled for Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. at First Baptist Church in Modesto. After initially being listed in critical condition, Ryno is showing improvement and is expecyed to recover from his wounds.

It seems the Marines botched this one... rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]On Friday, however, they said that does not appear to be the case. "He never saw combat," said Lt. Bill Heyne of the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department. "He drove trucks."

As far as I know many military drivers have been shot at/killed, even though they haven't fought. What that guy has seen in Iraq will probably die with him now. The odds are that he saw more than a few people killed or dead. Living in a place like Iraq, seeing that one could very easily get the notion that they're in that country essentially waiting to die.

If I felt like that I sure as fuck wouldn't want to come back. That country is in rough shape right now and those soldiers are bearing the brunt of aggression from both the civilian population and insurgents. That's got to be pretty hard on someone's psychological well being.

I'm kind of cynical about this new information because it seems somewhat like a smear campaign to make him look like an aberration, like he had an unstable mind and criminal intent before he went to Iraq. Like they're trying to absolve the fucked up state of that country of any responsibility in this incident.

If a man can arrange for a friend to shoot him so he's injured and cannot go back to serve in Iraq. I can believe that this guy has experienced something there that has irrevocably changed him psychologically.

Taking apart firecrackers to make bombs? I do that, only I do it with rocket engines, smokeless powder and gasoline. I've smoked weed before too. Oh no, stop the presses. Weed and controlled explosions are entertaining.

The fact they found cocaine in his system does not surprise me. What he decided to do couldn't have been possible had he not been high on something. As the police chief had stated. It was suicide by cop. By shooting at those police officers he was ensuring they'd take his deathwish seriously.