Sign in to follow this  
walker

The Iraq thread 4

believing that the USA is a centre of democracy and freedom is a joke. There foreign policy has dosens of examples of rigging elections and supporting faciast regimes that represent there own interests. This is a country where if you drive through Alabama with "Hillary for president" written on your car you get stoned. How can any country where that happens call itself 'free'?

Now that I think more about some of the reasons that I have heard why this war was started.

A) Iraq, Saddam Hussein as the leader, was a partner-in-crime with Al-Qaeda.

B) Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction (WOMD) which it is not allowed to have.

It is now clear that the leaders of the assault have not been able to show us proof that these were true. I remember seeing from television how the leaders of the assault were talking about mobile WOMD laboratories and such. At that point I started to have a bad feeling about it already. It started to look like the leaders of the assault were in urgent need of some proof for the reasons why they started the assault. Very nice graphics were shown in TV about these mobile WOMD laboratories, indeed. Took some time and careful planning to construct such graphics and show them to the World.

Some of the things I have been pondering about all this.

You need to come up with the evidence first before you can judge someone as guilty, in a democratic system. No person is guilty until proven otherwise. It is the responsibility of the accusers to show that their accusations are true, before conviction can be done.

All this has seemed to go in wrong order. Iraq was convicted. Saddam Hussein was convicted (R.I.P). A war was started. Thousands of people have been killed. More are going to die everyday. Thousands of people have been injured, many seriously. Thousands of people will live the rest of their lives with serious psychological problems. The accusators have been desperately looking for the evidence, with no luck. They still can't show us the proof for why they started the war. They started the war with no evidence to back it up. They started the war with no acception from the international community. They were told several times not to start a war. Yet they did.

OK, the leaders of the assault made a mistake. They were simply put, wrong. You can now acknowledge that. That's what human beings often do, mistakes. But we can forgive them. It's not the end of the World if you make a mistake. This far, has never been. Admit your mistake and you could be forgiven. From there on, it would be much easier to work with the international community to clean up the mess.

Quote[/b] ]We are not responsible for rifles, says Austria

Last Updated: 2:27am GMT 14/02/2007

Austria yesterday washed its hands of any responsibility after it was revealed that powerful sniper rifles it sold to Iran had been acquired by insurgents in Iraq.

The Daily Telegraph revealed yesterday that American troops had recovered more than 100 Steyr HS50 Mannlicher rifles, part of a consignment of 800 sold to Iran by Austria last year, during a series of raids in Iraq.

Astrid Harz, a spokesman for the Austrian foreign ministry, said yesterday that the sale had been "checked very thoroughly" and what happened to the rifles after they were delivered to Teheran ostensibly for use by border police was not the responsibility of her government. It was the responsibility of the Iranians, she said.

Franz Holzschuh, Steyr's chief executive, said the company had not been contacted by anyone officially to verify the serial numbers on the rifles. He said it was possibile that the weapons were copies.

The Austrian government concluded in 2004 that the.50 rifles, capable of piercing all types of body armour, would be used to fight drug smugglers. But American and British officials had warned that the weapons could fall into the hands of insurgents.

Source

If Iran was sending in cobra gunships, F14's, UH-1's, CH-47 helicopters, etc the US would have alot more to worry about.

If Iran was sending in cobra gunships, F14's, UH-1's, CH-47 helicopters, etc the US would have alot more to worry about.

You'd be suprised what these rifles cause. Don't know how powerful these are Steyr rifles are, but similair rifles can easily penetrate body armour and will completely shred any light vehicle.

I think the U.S. would rather prefer fighting heavy war hardware because it's something it's much better prepared to do than always going after individual snipers they have no warning of before they fire their first shot(s)...

Then again if Iran did that then the U.S. would have no choice but to go to war with Iran because one could still come up with civilian hunting purpouses for sniper rifles, but fighter planes and combat helicopters are war-only material...

I don't think either country wants to open up that can of worms... yet... crazy_o.gif

BUZZARD @ Feb. 19 2007,10:50)]

I think the U.S. would rather prefer fighting heavy war hardware because it's something it's much better prepared to do than always going after individual snipers they have no warning of before they fire their first shot(s)...

Then again if Iran did that then the U.S. would have no choice but to go to war with Iran because one could still come up with civilian hunting purpouses for sniper rifles, but fighter planes and combat helicopters are war-only material...

I don't think either country wants to open up that can of worms... yet... crazy_o.gif

Thats wasnt my point, i meant washington is not in a situation where they can acuse someone of selling something that might end up being used to kill US troops?

Hi All

How a nation's administration treats its soldiers after they come back from war says everything you need to know about that administration.

Beyond the photo calls for that Vietnam War Dodger George Bush junior and his NeoConMen Republic-commie buddies when visiting the press studio sets at Walter Reed stands that darker reality for the tens of thousand of US soldiers the NeoConMen don't want you to see.

We see the same errors we saw in the post vietnam era. You would have thought this bunch of Republic-commie whiners would have learned from the last episode at Walter Reed.

BUT the plane fact is they are still treating the USA's fallen heroes like a bad smell.

Quote[/b] ]Little Relief on Ward 53

At Walter Reed, Care for Soldiers Struggling With War's Mental Trauma Is Undermined by Doctor Shortages and Unfocused Methods

By Anne Hull and Dana Priest

Washington Post Staff Writers

Monday, June 18, 2007; Page A01

On the military plane that crossed the ocean at night, the wounded lay in stretchers stacked three high. The drone of engines was broken by the occasional sound of moaning. Sedated and sleeping, Pfc. Joshua Calloway was at the top of one stack last September. Unlike the others around him, Calloway was handcuffed to his stretcher.

When the 20-year-old infantry soldier woke up, he was on the locked-down psychiatric ward at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. A nurse handed him pajamas and a robe, but they reminded him of the flowing clothes worn by Iraqi men. He told the nurse, "I don't want to look like a freakin' Haj." He wanted his uniform. Request denied. Shoelaces and belts were prohibited.

Calloway felt naked without his M-4, his constant companion during his tour south of Baghdad with the 101st Airborne Division. The year-long deployment claimed the lives of 50 soldiers in his brigade. Two committed suicide. Calloway, blue-eyed and lantern-jawed, lasted nine months -- until the afternoon he watched his sergeant step on a pressure-plate bomb in the road. The young soldier's knees buckled and he vomited in the reeds before he was ordered to help collect body parts. A few days later he was sent to the combat-stress trailers, where he was given antidepressants and rest, but after a week he was still twitching and sleepless. The Army decided that his war was over.

Every month, 20 to 40 soldiers are evacuated from Iraq because of mental problems, according to the Army. Most are sent to Walter Reed along with other war-wounded. For amputees, the nation's top Army hospital offers state-of-the-art prosthetics and physical rehab programs, and soon, a new $10 million amputee center with a rappelling wall and virtual reality center.

Nothing so gleaming exists for soldiers with diagnoses of post-traumatic stress disorder, who in the Army alone outnumber all of the war's amputees by 43 to 1. The Army has no PTSD center at Walter Reed, and its psychiatric treatment is weak compared with the best PTSD programs the government offers. Instead of receiving focused attention, soldiers with combat-stress disorders are mixed in with psych patients who have issues ranging from schizophrenia to marital strife.

Even though Walter Reed maintains the largest psychiatric department in the Army, it lacks enough psychiatrists and clinicians to properly treat the growing number of soldiers returning with combat stress. Earlier this year, the head of psychiatry sent out an "SOS" memo desperately seeking more clinical help.

Individual therapy with a trained clinician, a key element in recovery from PTSD, is infrequent, and targeted group therapy is offered only twice a week.

Young Pfc. Calloway was put in robes that first night. His dreams were infected by corpses. He tasted blood in his mouth. He was paranoid and jumpy. He couldn't stop the movie inside his head of Sgt. Matthew Vosbein stepping on the bomb. His memory was shot. His insides burned.

Calloway's mother came to Walter Reed from Ohio and told the psychiatrist everything she knew about her son. Sitting in the office for the interview, Calloway jiggled his leg and put his head in his hands as he described his tour in Iraq. His mental history was probed and more notes were taken. The trivia of his life -- a beagle named Zoe, a job during high school at a Meijer superstore, a love of World War II history -- competed with what he had become.

"I can't remember who I was before I went into the Army," he said later. "Put me in a war for a year, my brain becomes a certain way. My brain is a big, black ball of crap with this brick wall in front of it."

After a week in the lockdown unit, Calloway was stabilized. They gave him back his shoelaces and belt. On the 10th day, he was released and turned over to outpatient psychiatry for treatment. And Calloway, a casualty without a scratch, began the longest season of his young life.

Inside Walter Reed

The Washington Post began following Calloway after he was brought to Walter Reed last fall with an initial diagnosis of acute stress disorder. He had all the signs of PTSD, but it would be the hospital's job to treat him and then decide whether he met the Army's strict guidelines for a PTSD diagnosis -- which required a certain level of chronic impairment -- and whether he could ever return to duty.

Calloway's physical metamorphosis was rapid. The burnished soldier turned soft and fat, gaining 20 pounds the first month from tranquilizers and microwaved Chef Boyardee. He lived at Mologne House, a hotel on the grounds of Walter Reed that was overtaken by wounded troops. His roommate was another soldier from Iraq with psych problems who kept the curtains drawn and played Saints Row video games all day until one day he vanished -- poof, AWOL, leaving nothing behind but empty bottles of lithium and Seroquel.

For the first time in almost a year, Calloway had a plush bed and a hot shower, but he was too angry to appreciate the simple comforts. On an early venture outside Walter Reed, he went to downtown Silver Spring and became enraged by young people laughing at Starbucks. "Don't they know there is a war going on?" he said

Wearing a rock band T-shirt, Calloway looked like any other 20-year-old on the sidewalk, but an unspeakable compulsion tore through him. He said he wanted to hatchet someone in the back of the neck.

"I want to see people that I hate die," he said. "I want to blow their heads off. I wish I didn't, but I do." He made similar statements to his psychiatry team at Walter Reed.

Violence seeped into his life in a thousand ways. When he cut himself shaving, the iron smell of blood on his fingertips gave a slight euphoria. But it was the distinct horror of his sergeant's death that was encoded in his brain. The memory made him physically sick. He would sweat and shake as if having a seizure, and sometimes he felt as if he were back in the heat and sand of Iraq.

The recognized treatment for PTSD is cognitive behavioral therapy, in which patients are encouraged to face their feared memories or situations and to change their negative perceptions. A key technique is known as prolonged exposure therapy. It involves revisiting a traumatic memory in order to process it. The idea is not to erase the memory but to prevent it from being disabling. Highly structured, one-on-one sessions over a limited time period have proved most effective, according to Edna B. Foa, a professor of psychology in psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, who has been contracted by the Department of Veterans Affairs to train 250 therapists who treat PTSD.

But Calloway and a dozen other soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan interviewed by The Post described a vague regimen at Walter Reed's outpatient psychiatric unit, Ward 53. They get a heavy dose of group sessions such as "Reflecting with Music," "Decisions," "Feelings Exploration" and "Art Expressions." Calloway reported to his "Reel Reflections" class one morning for a screening of "The Devil Wears Prada." Only two hours a week are devoted to a post-traumatic recovery group, according to a copy of their schedule.

These soldiers said they are over-medicated and treated with none of the urgency given the physically wounded. One desperate patient, a combat medic who broke down after her third tour in Iraq, said she begged her psychiatrist: "We are handicapped patients, too. Cut off both my legs, but give me my sanity. You can't get a prosthesis for that."

In an interview this month, Col. John C. Bradley, head of psychiatry at Walter Reed, said soldiers with combat-stress disorders receive the accepted psychotherapeutic treatment there. He said they are placed in a specially designed "trauma track" and are given at least an hour of individual therapy a week and a full range of classes to help them cope with their symptoms. Exposure therapy is as effective in group settings as in individual sessions, he maintained -- a belief that runs counter to the latest clinical research.

Bradley acknowledged staff shortages and said vacancies in his department go unfilled for as long as a year because of the Army pay scale and the high cost of living in the Washington area. He recently asked to increase his staff by 20 percent, and last month he brought on a reservist to help doctors with the time-consuming duties of preparing reports for the soldiers' medical evaluation board process. "We are constantly looking for innovative ways to provide service and outreach and support to soldiers," said Bradley, who deployed to Iraq last year with a combat-stress unit.

One of the country's best PTSD programs is located at Walter Reed, but because of a bureaucratic divide it is not accessible to most patients. The Deployment Health Clinical Center, run by the Department of Defense and separate from the Army's services, offers a three-week program of customized treatment. Individual exposure therapy and fewer medications are favored. Deployment Health can see only about 65 patients a year but is the envy of many in the Army. "They need to clone that program," said Col. Charles W. Hoge, chief of psychiatry and behavior services at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.

Instead, Deployment Health was forced to give up its newly renovated quarters in March and was placed in temporary space one-third the size to make room for a soldier and family assistance center. The move came after a series of articles in The Post detailed the neglect of wounded outpatients at Walter Reed. Therapy sessions are now being held in Building T-2, a rundown former computer center, until new space becomes available...

Follow the link for the full story

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....topnews

In the UK the government spares no expense it even pays for soldiers to go to the most expensive private clinic if they need it. The very same one that politicians and and pop stars go to.

In the US it seems to be a return to the vietnam era with soldiers with PTSD becoming homeless and living on the streets out of shopping carts.

In the US returning soldiers are treated like s**t by this Republic-commie administration. George Bush Junior, Dick Cheney et al. seem more interested in getting the Scoter Libby out of jail than in taking care of the people who give real service to their nation mad_o.gif

This bunch of Republic-commie NeoConMen need a big kick up the ARSE from a drill sergeant telling them whatfor.

Angry walker

"Military people are a bunch of dumb animals meant to be taken advantage of." - Henry Kissinger

What do you expect from an arrogant corporate whore?

"Military people are a bunch of dumb animals meant to be taken advantage of." - Henry Kissinger

What do you expect from an arrogant corporate whore?

Bravo.

Hey walker woof.

America bad, everyone else good.  

Yes America deserves the harsh criticism.  Americans voted in fear of one extreem, only to be bent over by those given power.  But to spew superiority with such ignorance...get over it.  

"Supremecy is not gained by criticizing others while your head is firmly tucked in your own cavity."

and

"I may not be right, but I'm never wrong."

-Jack O'Malley

Quote[/b] ]We are not responsible for rifles, says Austria

Last Updated: 2:27am GMT 14/02/2007

Austria yesterday washed its hands of any responsibility after it was revealed that powerful sniper rifles it sold to Iran had been acquired by insurgents in Iraq.

The Daily Telegraph revealed yesterday that American troops had recovered more than 100 Steyr HS50 Mannlicher rifles, part of a consignment of 800 sold to Iran by Austria last year, during a series of raids in Iraq.

Astrid Harz, a spokesman for the Austrian foreign ministry, said yesterday that the sale had been "checked very thoroughly" and what happened to the rifles after they were delivered to Teheran ostensibly for use by border police was not the responsibility of her government. It was the responsibility of the Iranians, she said.

Franz Holzschuh, Steyr's chief executive, said the company had not been contacted by anyone officially to verify the serial numbers on the rifles. He said it was possibile that the weapons were copies.

The Austrian government concluded in 2004 that the.50 rifles, capable of piercing all types of body armour, would be used to fight drug smugglers. But American and British officials had warned that the weapons could fall into the hands of insurgents.

Source

LOL...hardly. Firstly, we currently DOMINATE the airspace above Iraq. We'd have interceptors on them long before they reached their target area.

Secondly, as an impossible a task as it would be, in order to maintain the image of simply being a by standing witness to an insurgency they'd have to smuggle the items into the country, find people inside the country who knew how to arm, fuel, operate, and maintain not only the vehicles themselves, but an entire covert airfield....which brings another problem into play...aircraft aren't exactly inconspicuous.

Their only other option is open warfare, and I really don't think Iran wants that right now, no matter how much saber rattling they are doing.

HEHE rustman you better pray to jehovah the situation there doesn't get beyond depressing. Hunger & insufficiency has forced many nations to literally throw themselves at their occupants regardless of the cost. And I'm not flame baiting I'm just pointing out that history likes to repeat itself.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=74f_1182648016

I guess this is some sort of fanatical Al Qaeda fighter, the demons themselves that the US administration is shoving down our throats to fear wink_o.gif

Anyway thought this was interesting because the occupation part couldn't be more close to the truth. I'm sick and tired of the Al Qaeda crap Bush is trying to exaggerate for his interests.

You know the usually, every enemy fighting the US in Iraq is Al Qaeda foreign jihadist who are hated by the people there and somehow managed to be everywhere in Iraq and do so much damage with weapons from Iran...

icon_rolleyes.gif

1) There is the ME thread. Use it.

2) There is the US Politics thread for those of you unwilling to live with the consequences of a federalist society to spam in. Whether you agree or disagree with Bill Clinton's abuse of executive privilege to commit obstruction of justice, or George Bush's actions in th Global War On Terror, anarchistic intolerance is more distructive to the nation as a whole than all the Islamic Crusader's attacks on innocent civilians combined.

3) Liveleak is just Ogrish rebranded. I was under the impression that the entire site was rules-banned from linking at these forums due to it being a popular cesspool for people with fetishes for abject brutality and wanton disregard for human decency in the videos popularized there.

Nice video , and I think he also hit the nail right on the head by saying 'What would you do if your nation was under invasion?'.

I agree with ShinRaiden. That site encourages stupidity such as this.

pointing wrong way?

I can tell you what I would NOT do if my country were invaded.

I wouldn't kill my neighbors because their similar belief holds a differnt title.

I wouldn't strap explosives on a child and send him to his death...

The second video is obviously fake. Anyway, the Iraq insurgency is diverse and weird. President Bush is right that there are Al Qaeda elements, with likely a few wannabes, inside of Iraq acting aganist the Coalition and the Iraqis. Does he overemphasize them? Maybe. I don't know. Those elements, though, have pissed off other insurgents so bad that they are willing to work with the Coalition to fight them. However, the trust behind the two is very rocky.

I would be shocked that Iran isn't supplying any part of the insurgency. Nations like to finance and supply insurgencies for their own interests. History has shown us this.

ShinRaiden is right about LiveLeak being simply Orgish reloaded. So, I think, it is a big no-no to link that site.

pointing wrong way?

I wouldn't kill my neighbors because their similar belief holds a differnt title.

lol You make it sound as if all the men of the resistance hide at home and force their children do the fighting. rofl.gif

Out of all the videos I've seen of the the fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan I've yet to see a child walk up to occupation forces and detonate him/herself.

And yes you would go and try to eliminate your neighbor if he was proclaiming politics of hatred and destruction towards you.

BTW The video of that kid playing with his dad's gun and it accidentally going off is funny as heck! biggrin_o.gif

1) There is the ME thread. Use it.

2) There is the US Politics thread for those of you unwilling to live with the consequences of a federalist society to spam in. Whether you agree or disagree with Bill Clinton's abuse of executive privilege to commit obstruction of justice, or George Bush's actions in th Global War On Terror, anarchistic intolerance is more distructive to the nation as a whole than all the Islamic Crusader's attacks on innocent civilians combined.

3) Liveleak is just Ogrish rebranded. I was under the impression that the entire site was rules-banned from linking at these forums due to it being a popular cesspool for people with fetishes for abject brutality and wanton disregard for human decency in the videos popularized there.

You are not a moderator, kindly don't behave like one.

Your motives maybe honest, but it is not your job. If you think a post needs directing elsewhere put it in a more polite manner or informa moderator.

Thanks

pointing wrong way?

Hah the amount of people who think this video is real, and I thought I was gullable.

@Rhodite :

As I am not a moderator, I can not merge or lock threads. As an individual, I can only suggest my opinion. My opinion is that this subject could/should have been posted into one of the two threads elsewhere. I didn't feel it was a big enough deal to annoy the moderators about and demand you do something about it. So I left it as a msg to the author to request it.

Liveleak has tried to rebrand itself from an emphasis on perversion, depravity, brutality, sadism, and obscenity to a youtube clone for nonsense, but it's still ogrish rebranded. IIRC, any links to Ogrish were auto-banned previously due to severely NSFW material widely available there. If you attempt to navigate there now you are immediately forwarded to Liveleak. This is a separate discussion for "Ask a moderator", I was only giving as my opinion that links to liveleak, regardless of how tame the content may be, might not be advisable.

@redpride

Last time I heard of a case where someone wasn't exercising disciplined gun control (and this was at a controlled gun range) the semi-auto kicked up and fired the 2nd reflex tap directly into the face of a bystander, killing him instantly. Really funny. rofl.gif

Last time I heard of a case where someone wasn't exercising disciplined gun control (and this was at a controlled gun range) the semi-auto kicked up and fired the 2nd reflex tap directly into the face of a bystander, killing him instantly. Really funny. rofl.gif

LMFAO! rofl.gifyay.gif

Well, I don't think el-qaida part of iraqi resistance.

I opend "AL_ Zawrra TV" iraqi resistance TV, And they said they are not part from el-qaida and qaida not part from us, And they said el-qaida traying to kill civlians and tray to starting a civil war between Sunni and shia, and we the iraqi resistance fighting the amirecans to out from iraq, And build and new Gevroment and destroy the malki new Gevroment.

Note: I'm not apart from iraqi resistance confused_o.gif , I just say what they say.

Sorry for the english anyway.

@Rhodite :

As I am not a moderator, I can not merge or lock threads. As an individual, I can only suggest my opinion. My opinion is that this subject could/should have been posted into one of the two threads elsewhere. I didn't feel it was a big enough deal to annoy the moderators about and demand you do something about it. So I left it as a msg to the author to request it.

Liveleak has tried to rebrand itself from an emphasis on perversion, depravity, brutality, sadism, and obscenity to a youtube clone for nonsense, but it's still ogrish rebranded. IIRC, any links to Ogrish were auto-banned previously due to severely NSFW material widely available there. If you attempt to navigate there now you are immediately forwarded to Liveleak. This is a separate discussion for "Ask a moderator", I was only giving as my opinion that links to liveleak, regardless of how tame the content may be, might not be advisable.

@redpride

Dude why waste your own and my time by posting this? I'm sure the moderators are capable of moderating themselves. Maybe use the "report to moderator" button instead?

@Rhodite :

@redpride

Dude why waste your own and my time by posting this? I'm sure the moderators are capable of moderating themselves. Maybe use the "report to moderator" button instead?

Precisely.

--another "unlimited" topic ... (i can start more than a thousand in less than a hour ...)

--people fight people start wars ... for what huh.gif english and europeans went to america ... killed all people living her

these men were explorers fighters and pennyless ...

what do u exept from us ? (ok for computers internet and stuff like that) they will make wars for ever ... like if the vikings were still alive (or like in africa asia ... everybody make war ...) ...

be president of a (top10) country and youll change things

pistols.gif

say to bush just stop murders

in irak

for us soldiers (some have family children ...) and are american

that break my heart everyday i see u smart people sending ur soldiers to death for .........

tell me

--just back to arma im waiting for u guys these topics are just time spoilers

confused_o.gif