Sign in to follow this  
Chan

Poll between the SVD and the M21 Rifles

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Jan. 10 2002,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow thanks frag, ill give it a look, hope not too much $$$<span id='postcolor'>

The price is pretty steep (introductory price: $250), but the fact that you don't have to make any permanent alterations to the rifle is a huge plus. Pre-ban thirty-rounders are still relatively plentiful, and would make this a much more versatile weapon.

If this kit had been available before 2000, I would have gotten one of those rifles, since I'm a big fan of H&K products -- I own several.

Now all you have to do is get rid of that thumbhole stock and replace it with a pistol-grip, and paint it black. I think HK made that stock so it would legally sell in some areas, like California.

Tyler

I like the thumb hole, it feels nice, I had to sand it with 800 grit a bit near where the crotch of my thumb sat because it was giving me a blister, but other than that I think it looks spiffy, Im saving up for a Bushnell HOLOsight now, to replace my 4x scope.

The same company sells stock conversion kits, and there are indeed models that are black in color.

However, it would still not be legal in California. Senate Bill SB23, which took effect on January 1, 2000, has banned all weapons covered by Penal Code section 12276.1, which defines them based on specific characteristics, rather than model name or variation thereof. The H&K SL8 rifle is covered by these definitions.

That really is unfortunate. Too bad you live in the "left" state. I don't know why they would ban it in the first place, it was designed to accept 10 round mags and would be the last thing I would want to use in any sort of crime.

Tyler

Hi to everyone from the o-f.net forums, and everyone on the new ones, I just got my email smile.gif. In my opinion on the sniper rifles, the m21 is my favourite hands down. Its probably because ive had more practice with it, but i find it easier to hit ppl who are popping thier heads out of thier vehicles with the m21, and i find the sighting system on the dragunov usless. As for a sniper rifle id like to see in the game- the tango 51. Hows a money back garuanteed 0.25 moa sound?

http://www.snipercentral.com/tango51.htm

I prefer M21 more for 2 reasons: Variable zoom and more ammo.

Variable zoom can be crucial when long range sniping degenerates into CQB, i.e. better situation awareness. It also allows you to pick the most valuable/dangerous target when zoom out and then zoom in for the kill.

In OFP I don't notice any difference between the damage of 7.62x51 and 7.62x54 gunshots. Assuming the same skill and luck level, the one with M21 will have more kills between each reload.

The only drawback of M21 is very difficult to predict moving target, especially when near perpendicular angle.

My first post here, thanks mod for the swift response. biggrin.gif

Yeah, the ability to zoom in and out is a very handy capabilty, especially when you are defending a flag, and dont know what range your enemy will pop out at.

I prefer the G36 over both rifles for sniping, it doesn't pack as much punch as the rifles and can't zoom as far in either but you don't need to offset the target from the center of the crosshair when shooting at long distances (well, not anything I have noticed) thus making this weapon VERY accurate when zoomed, plus the option for burst and full-auto makes it handy if you are surprised at close quarters.

I prefer the M21, because the first time i used it, it very easy to handle it. Not like the SVD which was quiet difficult to handle...

And the zoom is a plus for M21...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dr Jekyll @ Jan. 10 2002,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I prefer the G36 over both rifles for sniping, it doesn't pack as much punch as the rifles and can't zoom as far in either but you don't need to offset the target from the center of the crosshair when shooting at long distances (well, not anything I have noticed) thus making this weapon VERY accurate when zoomed, plus the option for burst and full-auto makes it handy if you are surprised at close quarters.<span id='postcolor'>

You are correct that in Real Life, the sniper rifles pack much more of a punch than the G36.

However, in my experience with the G36 in OFP, a hit from it will take a soldier down regardless of where the bullet strikes. That feature, the excellent optical sight, and the flexible firing modes, make it one of the most effective, if not THE most effective, weapon in the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Jan. 12 2002,01:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are correct that in Real Lifeâ„¢, the sniper rifles pack much more of a punch than the G36.

However, in my experience with the G36 in OFP, a hit from it will take a soldier down regardless of where the bullet strikes. That feature, the excellent optical sight, and the flexible firing modes, make it one of the most effective, if not THE most effective, weapon in the game.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. Sniper rifle bullets punch with much more speed than those in G36.

I love G36 as the weapon in the game. Sound is good and soldier is dead after one bulet from G36. The same effect (even better) as the sniper rifles. One thing true is that it's easier to use G36 than a sniper rifle. So considering all weapons in the game, i think that G36 is the best weapon in the game. Steyr is nice too, but G36 is much better.

Actually, the bullet from the G36 travels at a higher speed. The difference is that it weighs only 55 or 62 grains, whereas the bullet from the M21 weighs 168 grains, so the later has far more energy.

Ah, the dragunov. I gotta give my vote to it, after all, it was my weapon in the military smile.gif

i like svd because of the design/shape. but i use m21 most of the time in the game.

The only problems I find with the M-21 are game related. When I shoot someone in the upper torso with a 7.62x51 NATO round, I expect them to die, or at least stop running around. The rifle is FAR too underpowered. I often find myself having to shoot someone twice in order to kill them.

Also, any 5.56x45 NATO chambered rifle is not very effective on human targets past 300m. The 7.62x51 NATO round can go to 800m+ and still knock em' dead. Providing proper shot placement.

The heavier/slower round also retains energy better at longer ranges than the lighter/faster one.

Tyler

The m21 is good for a vehicle crew killer, but most crew shouldnt be as stupid as to turn out in the middle of a battle. But in the game, i find thata body shot from both the m21 & and the dragunov both pack the same punch.

i prefer the dragunov, because although the M21 has zoom it has little to help you aim while the dragunov has the markings.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Thehamster @ Feb. 17 2002,21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would you cut down on your spam a little? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Me??? That's not spam. mad.gif

That's waking. biggrin.gif

Everyone knows boly-action rifles are better for sniping, the only reason they work better in the game is becuse it's just that - a game.

Bolt action rifles have less moving parts while firing (not having to rechamber a round) and are therefore generally more accurate.

In game, however, the ability to pepper shots at a target in semi-auto is hard to beat. Actual sniping is more of a matter of taking one or two shots, then observing the effects through the scope (or better yet, binocs)...

Anyway, it would still be nice to see some bolt action sniper rifles in the game...(M40A1 or Parker-Hale M82 maybe).

M40A1.jpg

ph_m82.jpg