Sign in to follow this  
TheLemon

New release date worldwide: Spring 2006?

Oh come on people, HL2 took 6 years to develop, and that looks like its going to be a good game. So why shouldnt we let BIS have that amount of time to work on OFP2?

You are all very very impatient. I dont see how you got past the lobby in multiplayer!

Just to prove again that I don't trust publishers:

proof1_crop.jpg

And, for Australia it says this:

proof2_crop.jpg

But is autumn in kangaroo land the same as spring here, or have they started delaying again already...? tounge_o.gif

Still waiting for the official word from BIS...

Oh come on people, HL2 took 6 years to develop, and that looks like its going to be a good game. So why shouldnt we let BIS have that amount of time to work on OFP2?

You are all very very impatient. I dont see how you got past the lobby in multiplayer!

How much of those 6 years for HL2 can be attributed to the code that was stolen? If I recall they had to postpone release while they technically re-made the game....

I'm absolutely pissed off at this, I don't so much mind the fact that we'll have to wait for so long for this game to arrive, I hate having to wait that long, but then that's because I'm really looking forward to it.

What pisses me off, is the fact that nothing has been said... all there is, is that stupid screen that says Coming Spring 2006 and absolutely NO info or updates on anything, anywhere.(as far as I can tell, I've looked and they didn't even announce anything on the Codemasters forums)

I hope BIS or Codemasters will at least explain why... if they don't, then I'd suggest that the X-Box port and VBS1 have taken up their time...

Which is ridiculous because the X-Box port will doubtless be a pile of crap(no offence, but games rarely survive the transition, as far as I recall... someone will probably prove me wrong smile_o.gif )

and VBS1 is one hell of a sell-out, if the army can't train their people without the use of a bloody simulator then what use are they? *I* could probably go kick some army arse on VBS1, does that make me a good soldier?

How much of those 6 years for HL2 can be attributed to the code that was stolen? If I recall they had to postpone release while they technically re-made the game....

I'm absolutely pissed off at this, I don't so much mind the fact that we'll have to wait for so long for this game to arrive, I hate having to wait that long, but then that's because I'm really looking forward to it.

What pisses me off, is the fact that nothing has been said... all there is, is that stupid screen that says Coming Spring 2006 and absolutely NO info or updates on anything, anywhere.(as far as I can tell, I've looked and they didn't even announce anything on the Codemasters forums)

I hope BIS or Codemasters will at least explain why... if they don't, then I'd suggest that the X-Box port and VBS1 have taken up their time...

Which is ridiculous because the X-Box port will doubtless be a pile of crap(no offence, but games rarely survive the transition, as far as I recall... someone will probably prove me wrong smile_o.gif )

and VBS1 is one hell of a sell-out, if the army can't train their people without the use of a bloody simulator then what use are they? *I* could probably go kick some army arse on VBS1, does that make me a good soldier?

The code was stolen end of last year. The game was supposed to be released in a month or so but looking at the leaked version the game was far from being finished so I am sure it would have been delayed even if it had not been stolen.

The VBS1 has been developed by BI australia so I doubt it has anything to do with this delay. I don't doubt that OFP gamers would beat any army in VBS1 but the idea is not to become good at VBS1 but to become good at the real thing. Simulators are good additions to the normal training.

The xbox version is propably to blame for the delay but I am sure that the version they will release in 2006 will be much more a new game than they had planned for. This means that I'm not surprised if they'll completely rewrite the game engine instead of updating OFP.

What I do agree with you is that I would have wanted some info from the developers. I understand that some business situations might make it hard to give some info but any info would have been better than total silence. Being silent too long only makes people frustrated and angry.

@shadow .. ohh the big update like resistance u mean?

nothing is for free  . the bugfixes are common in every trade without cost.those patches was in my book allready payed for when i bought the 3 cds.

Have you forgotten about patch 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.85(res) ?

They are all included in your GOTY-edition, but not in the original Flashpoint. These are addons that we have gotten for free.

SU-25, Vulcan, AH-64, CH-47, Hummvee, Kiowa, Laserdesignator, Kozlice, Huntingrifle, Bike, Bus, MM-1, RG-6(6G30), Steyr AUG, XMS, G36

Might be something I've missed aswel.

OK, I see all these people saying they want to buy VBS1. Unless I'm completely lost, it clearly states on the VBS website:

Quote[/b] ]The VBS1â„¢ products are only sold to federal, state, and local government agencies for military, law enforcement, homeland defense, and first responder training.

Now, how is it that you people are buying it? I asked before, and instead of an answer I got a smartass remark.

@shadow .. ohh the big update like resistance u mean?

nothing is for free  . the bugfixes are common in every trade without cost.those patches was in my book allready payed for when i bought the 3 cds.

Have you forgotten about patch 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.85(res) ?

They are all included in your GOTY-edition, but not in the original Flashpoint. These are addons that we have gotten for free.

SU-25, Vulcan, AH-64, CH-47, Hummvee, Kiowa, Laserdesignator, Kozlice, Huntingrifle, Bike, Bus, MM-1, RG-6(6G30), Steyr AUG, XMS, G36

Might be something I've missed aswel.

Most developers put out patches for their bug-riddled games, in what way is this different?

I don't understand most people rock.gif

Delaying OFP2 means for me better game the more time you spend on something the better it will be come out wink_o.gif

There are lots of games out and comming out + the MODS that will be finnished for OFP1 wink_o.gif

Maybe BIS is fooling us and they might release OPF2 end 2005 wow_o.gif

Just let's stay calm and we will see wink_o.gif

OMG I am not sure what to say.I thought the late 2004/early 2005 release date was too soon,but 2006! Yikes

And what profit to Bis if they update OFP1 to keep us hanging around here? No money in that,I don't expect any free updates.

Gonna have to offer VBS1 at a price we can afford and make it regular uselike,so we can mod with that and such.

Does it have multiple firing points? I don't think so, I am depressed now.

At least it gives them time to hire me,lol

OK, I see all these people saying they want to buy VBS1. Unless I'm completely lost, it clearly states on the VBS website:
Quote[/b] ]The VBS1â„¢ products are only sold to federal, state, and local government agencies for military, law enforcement, homeland defense, and first responder training.

Now, how is it that you people are buying it? I asked before, and instead of an answer I got a smartass remark.

That's in the US & Canada via Coalescent.

The rest of the world can order it direct from BIA.

I think Coalescent are opening sales up to everyone this month.

Apparantly only in the USA does that rule still apply,which is where I live

/me Opens up OFP and satchels himself all over the place

again, to remind us all, VBS is not a game, and is meant to be as a training tool.

If it is a training tool, then why do so many civies have it? This sucks, I guess I will have to play, stalker, HL2, Sims 2, etc, and then go through college before I can play ofp2. X_X

cause some civies get it just because they love it? wink_o.gif

regarding VBS1 sales, it is available anywhere in the world, except here in USA. so we are screwed once again. tounge_o.gif

You guys know what? I'm actually happy that it has been delayed. That insures quality, it also means that Codemasters isn't riding BIS's backs to get the game done on a deadline. This insures a better quality product. As much as I hate to wait, the wait is going to be so much more worth it.

I hate playing games that make me say to myself "if only they spent more time on it, it would've been so much better". So quit complaining! Look at the bright side!!! wink_o.gif

Maybe OFP2 is being delayed because its going to be released for XBox at the same time for the PC.

OK, so I'm screwed out of VBS1.

Anyway, back on topic. I can't believe how whiny this community is. Where were most of you that you're actually surprised by this new release date? Unless you had your heads up your collective asses, it was quite evident OFP2 was not going to be released anytime soon. I'm starting to feel sorry I nagged BIS so much about being upfront with the community, I had no idea they would react like this. Bitching and moaning will not get OFP2 completed any quicker.

Bottomline is with the Spring 2006 release date, that means there's a good chance OFP2 will be a quality product, not a rushed one. I know, I know, if they hadn't started working on OFP Xbox, we likely would not have to deal with this delay, but the fact of the matter is BIS needs to make money like any of us. As long as OFP2 and OFP Xbox are treated as two different products for two different types of people, I will be pleased. I'm just hoping OFP2 will cater to the "war-gamers."

Now, if only I could find a way to buy VBS1.

Quote[/b] ]I think Coalescent are opening sales up to everyone this month.

And you know this how? Not to sound condescending or anything, just wondering if you're actually stating fact, or an opinion based on something you've read somewhere.

I remember having read, that for the first OFP they started development in the early 90s... if not late 80s .. so good thinks/things smile_o.gif do indeed take awhile...

(it was in some interview.. the scan was here on the forum i think?)

and there is alot of space for improvement...

even engine wise.. just look at that dx .dll thingy...

also all the modmaker becoming better and better...

i would save my money for hardware, not buying VBS1 ..

so each upgrade makes my OFP1 better/faster/prettier

last but not least... gives us non-modders time to become modders ourselves... ;)

peace!

keep going!

Hmm... sad_o.gif Why is patience so hard for 133t jedi? wink_o.gif

1) VBS is handled by BIA/Colesceant, no 'significant' load there. People keep disappearing and reappearing with bless()'d email addresses... = business is growing...

2) Scant peeps about the xBox, except that being on the xBox and being OFP 1.5, it can't talk to the PC's... right now.

conspiricy theory... maybe the net code is finally getting overhauled, and we will see major delaggage and JIP patches, as techdemo patches?

3) I strongly doubt everyone in BIA and Florida speaketh Czech. Maybe we could be seeing much improved tools too?

4) Remember that OFP is a totally different type of simulation, that's why the CS weanies don't like it, and the military does. All EA has to do is go to one vendor, license a sound engine, pick a LOD engine from somebody else, and blindly pick an AI/physics package off the shelf, feed it through the megabucks n00b packaging system, and presto, insta-game.

That's not OFP, and I think BIS could be hiding the next generation of Uber-Architects in the Spanel brothers.

5) Go back and dig up the interview where Marek spills the beans about the whole life history of the Posiden project, and the companion history of dealing with publishers. The fact that we were even blessed with OFP at all...

6) Team Fortress 2. Total Anihilation 2.

7) The problem with rushing a product, is that if they had a quality product in mid early 05, would it run on win64, and would win64 be stable? Can we even do more than laugh ourselves silly at the notion of Microsoft shipping a reasonablely less-buggy OS?

If BIS has all their wits together, and works their vendor connections with MS, etc., OFP2 could be the flagship Win64 sim/game, so good that it would be illegal for us civies to own or export it. In that case it's a good thing that Codemasters is a UK corp.

8) The problem with too many feature patches is that would take away the reason to buy ofp2, so we do kinda have to wait.

9) I'll be 26, and god-willing, I'll be around, but I can't predict between here and there any better than Codemasters can pull dates out of the air.

10) Since they are going to take their time and do it right, please post some additional manuals, at least for OFP2. To go along with the commented configs and comref, we also need official WRP specs and all the 'hidden' p3d names so we can make stuff too.

Inshallah, all goes well, but a .plan would be nice. That's helped all the other games get and hold a high PR crazy_o.gif profile.

lol! c'mon guys, give BIS a break. The original makers were geniuses for they could see into the future create something called ofp1 that has no rivals!! Even today i still feel like a doctor examing the handywork of GOD whenever i open up just the config. I bet many people laff at them when they started approaching cash backers for ofp1.

Thru the years they have been supportive of the community, patches here and there, sometimes free, sometimes for a few dollars more that we as fans wont begrudge them of it. Furthermore, some of the developers could well be amongst us with the annonymous nicks used, prodding us, giving us tips here and there on how to improve the game. They have to remain annonymous cos some of the modders do use copyrighted material and would get OFP's cash backers into trouble, cant really blame them.

I am sure the original creators of OFP are not money mongers, for something like this needs more than money to motivate one to create - it needs dedicated passion and interest. Money does fuel the games industry so let us not begrudge companies in making money and count our blessings that there are other talented hobbyist who shares their work for free, they are so good that its better than the ones BIS gave us - tiger shark, marfy, dkm, just to name a few.

In truth, what do we all expect of OFP2?..lol! the only way they could satisfy us is to use the technology of today - teleportation into the game itself by quatumn physics which scientists had developed a way, only that its a tiny particle used now and would take a lifetime to teleport humans. My point is - how realistic can a game be? It will never replace real life, therefore lets use what we have and make things better, there's still plenty of life in ofp1 UNTAPPED, enjoy the closeness of ofp realism, laff at some of the ridiculous, and log out of the computer a happier person. Thats wat a game should be and ofp1 gives u that experience and more. Have fun tounge_o.gif

Just to prove again that I don't trust publishers:

[PICS REMOVED]

But is autumn in kangaroo land the same as spring here, or have they started delaying again already...?

So, you're trying to say Codies can't be trusted because the news has been out for one day and they've not finished updating their sites? The logic is astounding!

On your second point though, without trying to sound too harsh, may I ask you what country you are from? I ask because the education standards there are obviously very low. This is not a personal attack on you as it may not be your fault, unless you spent your school years sitting inthe back row flinging elastic bands at the kids in front of you. The thing is that we are taught this basic information about the seasons and the Northern & Southern hemispheres in primary school.

Just to clarify my own thoughts on the matter.....

Yes, I find the news disapointing, but I also find many peoples reaction to the news as somewhat more disapointing.

Being 'pissed off' because a game has been delayed, quite frankly, shows you have sad, miserable lives, and you seriously need to get out more.

All this crap about the X-Box version and VBS taking up development time......What the hell? Why the hell should you or anyone for that matter dictate what Bohemia Interactive Studios does with it's time. You should not ever concern yourself with what others are doing with their time. Were some of you deprived learning the simple social skillls of manners in your childhoods?

FFS, take the news with a pinch of salt. If your really anal about it, I hope you take it up the ass, and then consider whether your actually worthy enough call yourself apart of the 'core' community.

If by then you realise your not, I sincerly hope you take your business and comments elsewhere.

Enough of these infidels. blues.gif

I just hope that BIS will be able to sell OFP to console gamers.

But it seems a bit far fetched to expect console gamers to play a war simulator when OFP is too non-arcade for most PC-gamers.

I wonder if OFP for XBOX will have to be a success for us to see OFP2 for PC in 2006.

Perhaps BIS will have the time to improve OFP and make it harder to cheat in OFP smile_o.gif.

So, you're trying to say Codies can't be trusted because the news has been out for one day and they've not finished updating their sites? The logic is astounding!

On your second point though, without trying to sound too harsh, may I ask you what country you are from? I ask because the education standards there are obviously very low. This is not a personal attack on you as it may not be your fault, unless you spent your school years sitting inthe back row flinging elastic bands at the kids in front of you. The thing is that we are taught this basic information about the seasons and the Northern & Southern hemispheres in primary school.

Omg...is it possible? Can someone be this blind to irony and other nice cars?

Where to begin...?

I do NOT trust any publisher on releasedates! Not Codies, not EA, not UBI, etc... you get the point...? The picture I threw in was just to illuminate the fact, not to say that "hey, Codies are a bunch of morons who don't know what they're doing!". I wonder... do you by any chance work for Codemasters?

Secondly... I myself am very aware of the seasons of the northern and southern hemispheres. Maybe it didn't come through clearly enough that this was meant as a funny/ironic/etc. remark... you didn't see the tounge_o.gif smilie I put at the end of the comment by any chance?

I'm not sure I can manage to explain this properly to an individual as dead-serious as yourself, but it was meant to be a funny comment, hinting to my point about publishers taking dates out of thin air and throwing around.

But I'm sorry if it was misunderstood. Next time I'll be sure to either spell it out or don't use humor at all. Maybe then you are happy and don't do personal attacks... (I know you said it wasn't meant to be... but it comes through that way nonetheless...

sad_o.gif )

Giving a late 2004 / early 2005 release date was their first mistake. They should have known there was no way they could make that deadline, and should have changed it to 2006 once we entered 2004. They don't even have any screen shots yet, and I sincerely doubt it is because they are going to reviel it all at once just before it's ready. They are just simply not far enough in the development process for whatever reason, and that's okay, but you guys shouldn't be surprised when you see people getting upset. When people see a date, the majority will believe it, even though they should better. All you people saying the delay is okay because they get more time to make the game better aren't entirely correct, as they are still just plain making the game. I would bet it isn't more than 50% done yet, probably somewhere between 35% and 45%. Even though 2006 is a much more realistic release date I am still going to bet they won't meet that either, and the game will be released sometime in 2007. You can't expect a game of this magnitude to come out only a few years after the originals release, even though they give you a release date saying so and telling you that it is coming along just fine, yet there being no proof of it coming along at all.

And their second mistake was porting Operation Flashpoint to the X-Box. Not only does this slow down the development time of OFP2 considerably, but it's a waiste of money and recources. Compared to a game like "The Chronicles Of Riddick" OFPs graphics are terrible, and owners of the X-Box, the most graphically capable console system, are not interested in that no matter how great the gameplay. Even with all the updates they are giving to the game for the console it will still not appeal to the average console gamer. Another thing is the limitations of the X-Box. Although the X-Box can handle higher graphics than what OFP offers, it is still confined by stuff like low RAM. OFP won't be OFP without it's large levels and large battles, but consoles can't handle that. So they are going to have to cut back on some things, or find ways around them. And another issue is the X-Box controller, which even though it has the most buttons of any console controller, will never be able to give you the same level of control over your action menu, units, orders, and movement compared to a mouse and keyboard. And OFP needs this control to be OFP.

Well that's the end of my rant, thank you for reading it. If you wish to disguss the contents of my post I would be happy to do so.