Sign in to follow this  
ThruYerStErNuM

Unscripted War dynamic grass

uwar_grass Version 1.23b updated 8/10/05

Download from waskosky.com

Grass is generated around placed locations rather than everywhere now, this solves the issues from before.

Whats new:

Compatability with ECP, etc.

New grass colors.

Grass objects are slightly more complex.

Grass can't and shouldn't be 'destroyed' anymore.

AI only sees through taller grass when very close.

Grass objects are set to 'lit' so that they will always look the same.

malden3t.jpg

winter1t.jpg

kolgujev1t.jpg

I am releasing all this now because I am leaving for a little while and this version is very easy and efficient to use for most purposes. But I have been making new textures and want to make better objects for the next release, heres a preview of some grass for the next release:

nextversion.jpg

OMG!!! You are da bomb!!! biggrin_o.gif

I was just thinking of suggesting the same idea crazy_o.gif

This week has been like Christmas in August  tounge_o.gif  wow_o.gif

I have tried this out early in the beta and I must say this is phenominal, I love the grass and the random foliage script.

Defenitaly a must have.

theres a better picture host, screens should work. but wont someone get a few better screens for us here? biggrin_o.gif

Of course, the screens are all nogova, just execute the script like the readme says for any mission. Certain grass objects look better on different islands. You'll want the brighter grass objects for malden or the areas of nogova with lighter landscape, all the details are in the readme.

cool grass! Could somebody verify if it works in mp?

Hope people make more object addons smile_o.gif

really great stuff you've done here!!!!!

i've noticed strange things that nobody reported yet. I guess i must be the only one to have it. I guess it comes from an addon conflict, even if i have all my addons in mod folder. It's not boring because i can use your addon.

here is the strange things:

first one in the editor, i have no name displayed for the different grasses:

grass01.jpg

second thing is when i put the last grass from the list in the editor i get this on the map:

grass02.jpg

Maybe its because your not sapose to use the grass that way? rock.giftounge_o.gif

The names of objects (grass) aren't defined in config.cpp.

fighter

smile_o.gif

thx, it's what i thought but found it strange, even if it's not supposed to be used like that. wink_o.gif

Wow-I have thought about making a "grass engine" like this for quite some time. Now thats its finally here, you can take advantage of it and make several different types of foliage for different maps. Maybe like 2d ferns for jungle maps similar to joint ops, or other things similar.

errrrhm um yeah  crazy_o.gif better make that 2004...

If I have as much time as I expect to this month, you can expect multiplayer unscripted war soon enough...

I decided, rather than disappoint through release dates, I'll surprise with unanounced releases when I think stuff is done. The new unscripted war mission supports many addon packs all in one mission, which can be chosen at the start of the mission, so incorporation of new addons has essentially become changing a single text file to get them to work in the mission.

I think the reason I left the objects unnamed is because the names show up in game sometimes, like in command view, you dont want to put your cursor out there and have "Grass 1" showing up all the time.

With my own testing, I personally feel it should be left the responsibility of the island/object maker to get dense foliage on an island, and with my vietnam islands you wont want to use this script. It just hasnt been done right to prevent lag. Either that or everyone is too worried that people will complain about lag to make anything better.

What I think I do want to use this for in the future mostly, is actually dirt. The main problem with flashpoint graphics is seen when you look down, the landscape textures are always so ugly, there is no variation below you, so it's like you are walking on painted pavement. So little clumps of dirt would add cover and take away the fear of looking down in-game when someone is looking over your shoulder not-in-game, because they would otherwise state something like "Look at the crappy graphics, flashpoint sucks dude, why do you spend all your time on it, get a life, play battlefield." Then perhaps they might add, if the dirt clumps did not exist, "And stop getting drunk and high all the time, it's not making flashpoint any prettier"