Sign in to follow this  
Puskasoturi

The best war movie ever

Saints and Soldiers.

Its based on a true story of a group of guys who escape from the Malmedy Massacre.  They find a downed RAF pilot and have to return valuable information from the pilots recon mission.

x2. S&S is a great movie.

We Were Soldiers didn't get as much recognition as some films that are much crappier than it.. it was a pretty good movie.

We Were Soldiers didn't get as much recognition as some films that are much crappier than it.. it was a pretty good movie.

yeah, i read some reviews and they gave it crappy reviews, but I loved the movie. I think it is a excellent film personally, and I liked the fact that it showed the whole home front side of the war with the families and everything in addition to the battlefront.

We Were Soldiers was good up until the ending which seemed like a Hollywood copout (can't show the US lose or anything).

What did you expect from the Director who gave us "Braveheart" and "The Patriot"? All I can say is thank God us English weren't Mel Gibson's enemy for once. I agree though, before the ending, it was a good film.

my favorites:

1. Bridge too far (WWII Arnhem)

2. Ambush (bicycle troops in the Continuation War)

3. Cross of Iron (WWII eastern front action)

4. Red Dawn (WWIII action)

5. the Dirty Dozen

1. Band of Brothers

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Midway

4. Red Dawn

5. The Enemy at the Gates

All great movies... red dawn was surprisingly impressive in some parts, especially in the props used. Still had some "80's feel" to it in some parts that brought it down...

1. Band of Brothers

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Midway

4. Red Dawn

All great movies... red dawn was surprisingly impressive in some parts, especially in the props used. Still had some "80's feel" to it in some parts that brought it down...

Band of Brothers:It was ok. I still think there could have been a bit more action and alittle less drama.

Saving Private Ryan:Just one word to sum this movie up.

Overrated The SFX were great but the story was too unreal.

Midway: Great movie as with most of the old war movies.

Red Dawn:Great movie but sadly underrated.

Enemy at the Gates:Great movie but yet again underrated.

Red Dawn:Great movie but sadly underrated.

Enemy at the Gates:Great movie but yet again underrated.

Did'nt you just say something about unreal stories? biggrin_o.gif

spam is pointless posts, that had a point rofl.gif

1. saving private ryan

2. band of brothers

3. platoon

Yea ok. Its pointless IMHO.

1. Blackhawk Down

2. Tears of the Sun

3. Platoon

4. Apocalypse Now

5. Saving Private Ryan

6. Bravo Two Zero

7. No Man's Land

8. Band of Brothers

9. Battle of Britain

10. Schindler's List

Apocalypse Now was by far the best war movie ever. The most intersting charechters, dark, dark humor, and some of the best scenes of all time (Chopper attack reinvented Ride of the Valkyries).

Some people like we were soldiers, i agree it was kinda cool, but it didn't have a real message other than americans rock. This is okay, but it is just like alot of old WW2 movies, when other vietnam movies dont portray either side as good, adding more to the horrors of war feeling you get.

Quote[/b] ]Apocalypse Now was by far the best war movie ever. The most intersting charechters, dark, dark humor, and some of the best scenes of all time (Chopper attack reinvented Ride of the Valkyries).

I think anyone who says that that movie is the best needs to actually watch the movie. The story sucks,the acting sucks,and the only only going for it is a couple of good action clips.

Quote[/b] ]Apocalypse Now was by far the best war movie ever. The most intersting charechters, dark, dark humor, and some of the best scenes of all time (Chopper attack reinvented Ride of the Valkyries).

I think anyone who says that that movie is the best needs to actually watch the movie. The story sucks,the acting sucks,and the only only going for it is a couple of good action clips.

The story doesn't "suck," nor does the acting.

However, the war is merely a backdrop to the main story and message. If you haven't read it, read "Heart Of Darkness" by Conrad (or watch "Hearts Of Darkness" about the making of the movie). Its much more about mans savagery, and the limits of sanity, which is why it fits so well into Vietnam.

I neither think apocalypse now as a war movie really, it just has a military backdrop. My main beef with it is the way too long running time but then again I have only seen the extended redux-version. crazy_o.gif

1. Band of Brothers

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Midway

4. Red Dawn

Interesting bit of trivia from IMDb regarding Red Dawn...

Quote[/b] ]The movies replica Russian T-72 tank was such a precise replica that when it was transported to the studio, two CIA agents followed and wanted to know where it had come from.

Band Of Brothers - Excellent series. One of the best.

SPR - I'll agree with the overrated, especially when compared to Thin Red Line. The main reason for its popularity is its visceral depiction of war, and what happens when a bullet hits you.

Midway. Love that movie. One of the first war movies I saw (along with The Longest Day). My brother and I alway would joke that if your name popped up in Midway, you were going to die.

Never saw Enemy At The Gates.

Guest Ti0n3r
Never saw Enemy At The Gates.

You should see it. smile_o.gif

It's not very realistic, the story I mean. But it's quite good.

Quote[/b] ]The story doesn't "suck,"
It does if you cant understand the story

maybe its meant for older and wiser members of the society, big words often get misunderstood, as well as the underlying truth that the author was portraying the huge suffering for all involved in war.

Wow. June 2005 join date and you are hittin' it pretty hard already biggrin_o.gif

While not a war movie, I'll sneak in a mention of "Batman Begins" which absolutely blew me away. By far the best Batman in my view, and certianly what my vision of Batman has been.

"Apocalypse Now" was not made as an accurate representation of the war in Vietnam.  It was made as a stylised, dark version of Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness".  I read the book before I saw the film and it helped no end in making me understand Coppola's vision of the war.  

It's Vietnam on drugs, acting as a background for the story, with enough explosions to keep the viewer entranced whilst also covering certain underlying issues, the nature of man, as covered by Conrad.  Many people love it because it's so damn iconic, what with "Eliminate with extreme predjudice" and the dawn heli-borne assault on the fishing village to the strains of Wagner.

It has a good story, a damned fine cast and I think Coppola made the film that he wanted.  If you don't like it, fair dues.

maybe its meant for older and wiser members of the society, big words often get misunderstood, as well as the underlying truth that the author was portraying the huge suffering for all involved in war.

I hope your not calling all the vietnam vets I've talked to stupid and unwise just because they happen to agree with my opinion of the movie. Besides the suffering of war is better told in movies like Band of brothers,the thin red line,BHD,and even tears of the sun to some extent.

Quote[/b] ]It's Vietnam on drugs, with enough explosions to keep the viewer entranced whilst also covering certain underlying issues,
It's Vietnam on crack is what it is.