Sign in to follow this  
Puskasoturi

The best war movie ever

1. Tuntematon Sotilas/The Unknown Soldier (the old, black and white version)

Hey come on, I'm finnish, do I need to explain?

2. Platoon

A great Nam movie, still looking forward to find a version with subtitles tounge2.gif

3. Saving Private Ryan.

Makes me wanna play OFP. Always.

Don't know if I'll get slapped by the admins for resurrecting this, but I wanted to add my opinion:

All good mentions, but I especially like Gettysburg and Tora! Tora! Tora!

Sicne someone brought this up again, will add my list too tounge2.gif

My List:

Apocalypse Now

Black Hawk Down

Band of Brothers

We were Soldiers

Saving Private Ryan

Das Boot

Full Metal Jacket

Behind Enemy Lines

The Beast of War

Mine are:

Enemy at the Gates

We were soldiers

Black Hawk Down

The patriot

Letters from Iwo Jima

Cloverfield(hey it has soldiers fighting in it)

and Platoon (the music was just amazing and emotionally moving)

behind enemy lines makes me ideas for ofp and arma missions,

saving private ryan, enemy at the gates, the platoon, we where soldiers, delta force ( i know they are really cheesy ).

Where eagles dare ( old school ww2 movie with clint eastwood )

Not really a war movie but a movie about James Nachtwey, a war photographer who´s made some of the most impressive photos from hotspots all over the world in the last decades.

JN0002CHIN_GA.jpg

Check out more details on War-photographer

Next one is really high on my list as it depicts the difficulties and problems when working under strict ROE´s and the frustration that results from it. It´s a BBC production named Warriors. In the US it´s sold as Peacekeepers. The film depicts the cruelties of the war in Bosnia.

Check out the review

_613762_ioanwarriors_300.jpg

Apocalypse Now

Black Hawk Down

Band of Brothers

We were Soldiers

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Behind Enemy Lines

The Bridge on the River Kwai - One of the best!

apocalypse now

full metal jacket

stalingrad

saving private ryan

thin red line

platoon

Mine are:

Gods and Generals

The Lost Battalion (Great WWI movie)

The Trench (Life of british soldiers in the trenches during WWI)

Platoon

Black Hawk Down

Band of Brothers ( notworthy.gif )

Saving Private Ryan

Hamburger Hill

Stalingrad ( notworthy.gif )

Die Brücke ("the bridge")---->http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Br%C3%BCcke_(1959)

Letters from Iwo Jima

Flags of our Fathers

"Deliverance"----> Befreiung (russian Transkription Oswoboschdenije oder Osvobozdenie, Untertitel 1969 - 1972)---->http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befreiung_%28Film%29

Not really a war movie but a movie about James Nachtwey, a war photographer who´s made some of the most impressive photos from hotspots all over the world in the last decades.

Check out more details on War-photographer

Next one is really high on my list as it depicts the difficulties and problems when working under strict ROE´s and the frustration that results from it. It´s a BBC production named Warriors. In the US it´s sold as Peacekeepers. The film depicts the cruelties of the war in Bosnia.

Check out the review

Oh yeah, War Photographer rocked, great movie. The man seems very detached in a way though, not from the pictures he's taking but when he's talking.

"Stalingrad" no doubt.

Not like the liberal Hollywood propaganda production "Enemy at the gates"

"Stalingrad" no doubt.

Not like the liberal Hollywood propaganda production "Enemy at the gates"

Agree. Stalingrad is an excellent film. Way better than any Enemy at the Gates.

My top few has to be:

- Platoon. An excellent film. Never found a film to top it.

- A Bridge Too Far. Damn good film that finally does not just involve the USA.

- Brotherhood or taegukgi. Touching film about two brothers in the Korean War. Saving Private Ryan eat your heart out. You will not regret viewing this.

- All Quiet On the Western Front. I could watch it time and time again and never get 'bored of it'.

- Band of Brothers. Not a film but an excellent series. Allows you to follow the experiences of these men and how they change.

- Red Dawn. For the kickass Wolverines.

- Saving Private Ryan. Excellent combat scenes.

- Apocalypse Now. Legendary film.

- Full Metal Jacket. One of Kubrick's best.

- Blackadder Goes Forth. Not a war film strictly. It's comedy TV series about a group of (British) soldiers in WW1. A funny series despite being set in a horrible time. I urge you to see this and watch it all the way through. Once you get to the last scene you will understand. That scene will long live in my mind.

Hi all

My top 20 list:

1) Birth of a Nation: The very first epic film on whose shoulders all other war films and indeed all epics rest but sadly one cannot ignore its Ku Klux Klan afiliations.

2) All Quiet on the Western Front: Enough said

3) Saving Private Ryan: Enough said

4) The Best Years of Our_Lives: After the parades

5) Taegukgi: in the United Kingdom known as Brotherhood and the United States as Brotherhood of War, Korean film about the Korean war

6) Nanawatai: The Beast (also: The Beast of War) Film about a lost tank crew in the Afghan war. Not for those with a weak stomach.

7) Das Boot

8) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for the Battle of Helm's Deep; Return of the King for the Battle of Pelennor Fields

9) Zulu

10) Apocalypse now

11) Battle of Britain

12) Kagemusha: by Akira Kurosawa.

13) The Red Badge of Courage

14) Band of Brothers

15) The 300 Spartans: 1962 the original and best

16) Ran: another by Akira Kurosawa.

17) Master and Commander

18) Casablanca

19) Catch 22

20) Salvador

Kind regards walker

- Blackadder Goes Forth. Not a war film strictly. It's comedy TV series about a group of (British) soldiers in WW1. A funny series despite being set in a horrible time. I urge you to see this and watch it all the way through. Once you get to the last scene you will understand. That scene will long live in my mind.

"Baldrick, what starts with Get here and ends with Ow?"

"What?"

"Get here"

*punch*

"ow!"

Quote[/b] ]20) Salvador

i have forgotten this one. this film has a really intense athmosphere. smile_o.gif

No doubt that my all time favorite war movie is Black Hawk Down.

Then of course 'The Great Escape' (1963) and my all time favorite movie RAMBO IV LOL ! tounge2.gif jk

"Baldrick, what starts with Get here and ends with Ow?"

"What?"

"Get here"

*punch*

"ow!"

biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Blackadder: Baldrick, what are you doing out there?

Baldrick: I'm carving something on this bullet, sir.

Blackadder: What are you carving?

Baldrick: I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.

Blackadder: Why?

Baldrick: It's a cunning plan, actually.

Blackadder: Of course it is.

Baldrick: You see, you know they say that somewhere there's a bullet with your name on it?

Blackadder: Yes.

Baldrick: Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it, then I'll never get hit by it. Because I won't ever shoot myself.

Blackadder: Shame.

Baldrick: And the chances of there being two bullets with my name on them are very small indeed.

Blackadder: Yes, that's not the only thing around here that's very small indeed. Your brain for example, is so minute, Baldrick, that if a hungry cannibal cracked your head open, there wouldn't be enough inside to cover a small water biscuit.

Blackadder Goes Forth. Ya can't beat it!

Bridge over the river Kwai

Rescue Dawn

Zulu

PS Letters From Iwo Jima what a fantastic film, alot bloody better then flags of our fathers

I have to say, Warriors by Peter Kosminsky is one of the best movies i have ever seen.

It's about a british unit stationed in Bosnia for peacekeeping duties, and how this affects them.

You get to see everything, from the moment they hear the news they are being sent out, all the moments there, and when they get back home and how they deal with their experiences.

Some are suicidal, some have nightmares and PTSS, others try to forget it, while others stay in the army to be sent back again, others get out of the army but join civilian aid-forces to get more resources to the area and fulfill their personal mission that way. Everybody handles it in a different way, and it's good to see such detail for that aspect of the psychology of war.

My favourite part from the movie (or most afflicting) is the part where private James gets back from Bosnia, and goes to a mall, and sees a girl crying cause she doesnt get any sweets from mommy. That kind of sends him over the edge.

"What are you crying for?... I've seen kids who really had a reason to cry! You still got all your arms and legs, your head hasnt been shot off! And you's! *points at other people in the mall* None of you's knows! None of you know how lucky you are! *then he's quiet for a bit, his eyes get distant and watery, and then continues* I've seen people on fire..."

It makes me flinch every time.

Or the part where a lieutenant is doing some lawnmowing, but the sound of the lawnmower brings him back to the APC, the rattling of tracks and radio chatter, he just stares into nothing, and literally pushes the mower into the ground, uprooting earth.

"I used to dream i was playing for Liverpool, you know.. But when i dream now, i dream i'm walking on dead bodies, cause that's what i did. I cant defrost a chicken anymore. It's like the smell of it, the feel of it."

And thats just some parts of the end, but there is a WHOLE lot to be seen in Bosnia as well, more then i want to describe.

The quality goes so far, that soldiers who have been there say its like watching a documentary, being shot at the time.

It's so good, they show it to you when you do the dutch military training, at Mental Care. It wasnt the first time people decided to drop out because of that movie.

That's how good it is.

my list is:

1) Apocalypse now (The orror. The orror...)

2) Black Hawk Down (Nobody asks to be an hero, it's just sometimes turns up that way)

3) Platoon (to find a meaning, to this life)

4) Full metal Jacket (you talk the talk: do you walk the walk?)

tounge2.gif

My top 20 list:

1) Birth of a Nation: The very first epic film on whose shoulders all other war films and indeed all epics rest but sadly one cannot ignore its Ku Klux Klan afiliations.

My girlfriend, who studies film, enlightened me recently concerning that one. I don't want to start a debate about the political correctness, but the Ku Klux Klan case is complicated in that particular example.