Sign in to follow this  
AKK

Real Grid size

so the default dimensions in visitor are 50 meter grids what if any lag does going to 25 meter grids create??

IE I changed the default to this

25meter.jpg

and added this <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Landgrid=25;

In the CPP

I am assuming that visitor is like o2 in that for every grid is a poly. so reducing the grid size by half should double the islands poly count?? right? wrong?

Anybody notice a difference?

If so give me some insight please

I think a 256 X 256 map size and a 25 metre size grid, would result in a smaller area.

Instead of 12.8 km X 12.8 km, you would have 6.4 km X 6.4 km.

In theory anyway.

I do believe that each grid square is composed of 2 triangular 'polygons'.

Planck

Quote[/b] ]I think a 256 X 256 map size and a 25 metre size grid, would result in a smaller area.

I have not noticed this per say. What I encountered instead was when texturing the tiles were much smaller. As Well the Change in height when manually doing so was more dramatic and steep at the edge. Though I will try two different islands with the same ASE and varify this.

Quote[/b] ]I do believe that each grid square is composed of 2 triangular 'polygons'.

tounge_o.gif your right I,m a dummy  tounge_o.gif

and thanks for your response  Planck wink_o.gif

Yes it does make the island smaller but I am curiouse still in RE to the lag factor.

Also if you did 25meter grids and changed dimensions to 512X512 would that not then retain the islands origional size?

Dunno just a noob and no one is answering so screw it

Also if you did 25meter grids and changed dimensions to 512X512 would that not then retain the islands origional size?

Yes.

im also curious on that one, cuz i wana make the island i live in acording to military maps i got and for me it would be beter to use grids of 25m, cuz its a mountainous island, and i wanted to put the things flat (ex: roads without angle of inclination)

using 25 gets things "messy around"?

also i wanted to know about lag cuz i plan doin a 21 km per 14 km island and if i use 25 or less would be nice.

I do believe that each grid square is composed of 2 triangular 'polygons'.

It wouldn't matter, the OFP engine is composed as such that it cares more about points rather than faces thus afaik two triangles or 1 quad wouldnt make a difference on the lag front.

PS, hey Planck, long time no see m8

Quote[/b] ]thus afaik two triangles or 1 quad wouldnt make a difference on the lag front.

Still, the grid squares are organised as 2 triangular polygons in order to make smoother elevation changes in the landscape.

If the polygon was only a rectangle the height changes wopuld look very blocky and less smooth overall.

P.S. Hello Soul nice to see you are still alive and breathing, how is Holland? Still above water I hope. Now, there is a country that needs some elevation changes. tounge_o.gif

Planck

If you're going to do this, you need to also put an entry into your config to remind OFP that your map is 25m, not 50m.

Is there a way to make larger grid sizes? Such as 100m or 200m instead of 25 or 50?

And if so can you edit in this mode rather than plug it in later in the config?

For a 100m cell size, in the world config put the two lines:

landGrid = 100;

setTerrainGrid = 100;

One can confirm it by examining a runway texture, which becomes more narrow. One can fit the overall world size by the number of cell rows and columns. In principle that’s all, but…

Note:

a) It seems to work with 4WVR formats only

b) Only x and z coordinates (easting, northing are scaled), y (height) remains unscaled. Therefore slopes become more deeper.

c) Scaling takes place in multiples of 0.5 respectively 2 only (refer: comref 1.85).

(50 , 25 , 12.5 etc for smaller worlds ; 50 , 100 , 200 etc for larger worlds).

d) It seems there is a maximum world size in sqm.

e) It’s logical that the world objects coordinates do not scale and must be rescaled by the factor, the terrain was scaled. It’s like an overlay from the larger world over the smaller world, both having their origin in the left bottom corner (Visitor shows it). Therefore, most objects are likely to be beyond the worlds boundaries if the objects coordinates are not rescaled. Also still existing objects can be burried under the surface as y is not scaled.

f) Smaller worlds do suffer from more lag (Countermeasure: more fog). Larger worlds (100m / 200m) seem to have less lag.