Sign in to follow this  
Balschoiw

Weather online

Short and easy. There are several weather services wich provide online weather data of your region.

Wouldn´t it be a nice feature to have synchronized weather in OFP 2 ?

Technically it should´nt be a big problem. You only have to create an interface between an online free weather service and add a local, regional setting in OFP 2 options menu. OFP2 could automatically sync the ingame weather to the weather outside your window in regular intervals then. Imagine thunder and wind coming up outside your window and exactly the same happens ingame. I would love it biggrin_o.gif

Of course there would be seasonal limits but what do you think ?

Good idea. MS Flight sim has had this feature for a few versions, I think ( I don't have it.) Would be good to have a setting for mission makers to enable in MP, so the date, time and weather for the area could be 'real time.'

That would be cool. But how would they do it in multiplayer maps? Since I live in the US and someone else might live in England it'd get confusing if it was raining on my screen but not on the English player's. I guess it could be where the server was located it got the weather for that region, that would make it easy.

Well you could use "server weather", or "map coordinate" weather. (long lat)

Good idea Bals, some titles already have this. Like what was it, that flight sim... X-Plane?

That would be cool. But how would they do it in multiplayer maps? Since I live in the US and someone else might live in England it'd get confusing if it was raining on my screen but not on the English player's. I guess it could be where the server was located it got the weather for that region, that would make it easy.

Where the mission is located or where the server sets it, it'd be.

But the problem is not everyone has cable. I have 56k dial up internet and it would really piss me off if I had to sit around and wait for the game to dial into the internet just to check the bloody weather.

Weather affect on the fight style.

I mean... first of all visibility...

If the weather in my game is different than in

your game, it`s unfair right?

The weather wouldn't be different for every player, because the weather conditions of the battlefield itself would be checked, not your own local weather. Else I could be playing in english weather, which basically means it would either be chucking it down or completely foggy, while someone from Australia could be playing in perfect weather. That would be totally pointless.

if this game is based on real places like it was thought of befor such as Nam and the other countrys wouldnt it be better just to go from the geological location.

Quote[/b] ]Weather affect on the fight style.

I mean... first of all visibility...

If the weather in my game is different than in

your game, it`s unfair right?

Already eyplained in initial post. Server would use local setting, means clients would be distributed weather from server. Anyway I don´t see the point of the weather feature in MP games, but mostly in singleplayer missions.

I don't see the point alltogether. I mean in a mission the weather can play a vital role. Let's assume the following:

I am playing a sniper mission in which I must take out an enemy officer in... let's say Germany. So... I start the mission, the game checks the weather in Germany and.... oh dear, it's raining. In other words I probably I can't see shit through my scope. I can't complete the mission. So I watch the European weather forecast, and the weather in Germany is just gonna stay crap....

Of course this is an exaggerated scenario but do you see my point? I think the weather should be dictated by the mission maker and not by chance.

Island or whatever it will be in ofp 2 has Latitude and Longitude, so the server checks the weather in that particular area and then it set´s it to game. Simple.

Quote[/b] ]I don't see the point alltogether.

Made up scenarios like the one you presented are special cases. Therefore the option can be turned off/on. You don´t like it, you don´t use it.

For sure there are setups for missions that won´t work that good with actual weather.

But hey, life is cruel  biggrin_o.gif

You want an infantry simulation, you get an infantry simulation with all the reality you can get.

And that includes weather. Good weather and bad weather. Or do you think that soldiers have much of a choice when it comes to weather ?

I see more positive aspects with real weather than bad ones. It may be just me, but hey, that´s why I post it  wink_o.gif

Edit: And remeber, OFP ever granted us the freedom to adopt to situations. There are little limits in how you achieve a missiongoal. In fact it is pretty much fun to replay mission in different setups and with different approaches to the objective. That´s why we love OFP so much.No limits  biggrin_o.gif

Or better say, little limits only.

Oh, well and this is just an idea, it doesn´t mean that BIS will implement it.

Where the mission is located or where the server sets it, it'd be.

Already answered.

Of course this is an exaggerated scenario but do you see my point? I think the weather should be dictated by the mission maker and not by chance.

Really? Almost all the missions I make run as much random weather and semi random fog as possible. In addition if I can I also use server time for the actual mission time. Is that not more representative of what a soldier has to go through?(as Bals said) Unless you need controlled conditions to evaluate something.

It would be nice if there was an option to turn it off and on. If there was no such option I wouldnt want it. Im pretty sure that if they implement it there will be a toggle option and I hope we get it smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is that not more representative of what a soldier has to go through?

In theory yes, but that's not always the case. In real life many missions are delayed due to bad weather. I agree with InqWiper - if it is implemented, there should at least be a toggle option.

Quote[/b] ]Is that not more representative of what a soldier has to go through?

In theory yes, but that's not always the case. In real life many missions are delayed due to bad weather. I agree with InqWiper - if it is implemented, there should at least be a toggle option.

Hahahhahahah! I've NEVER had anything cancelled due to weather. Maybe some fly-boys cancel things due to too many clouds, but infantry do not.

For sure there would be the option to turn it off or on...

You know there are still guys who don´t have an internet connection at their comp. It should be a feature and not an obligation.

Quote[/b] ]In real life many missions are delayed due to bad weather.

Infantry missions, no. Flight missions, maybe.

At least I had no delayed missions throughout more than 10 years of serving.

If your talking about exercise missions than you maybe right but not missions in actual combat zones. You have to accomodate to weather even if that means that aircover won´t be available or troop transport has to be done on the ground instead of using helos for transport.

I don´t see why you´re arguing it that hard anyway. It´s a plus feature that add´s more reality. An infantry simulator should have the goal to get close to reality, don´t you agree ? It´s not like Far Cry fighting in tropical holiday scenarios but a close to reality infantry sim. Every soldier certainly can tell you that mud, water and freakin weather conditions are part of the job. A part noone likes but unless you help to get a carribean dictator out of business you will have to life with bad weather. And the sniper mission you talked about is highly surreal. Such missions don´t take place very often. Let´s say 1 in 1000 ?

nah, that's a baad idea. i don't want to play in rain all the way crazy_o.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Balschoiw: An infantry simulator should have the goal to get close to reality, don´t you agree ?

Of course, and like I said in my last post, an online weather check would in some circumstances be an interesting thing. My point is that in some missions the weather is a key part of the atmosphere.

Quote[/b] ]BN880: Really? Almost all the missions I make run as much random weather and semi random fog as possible.

When I make missions I try to adjust the weather to fit the atmosphere. For example in a large battle I would increase the fog and perhaps have it rain. In a Spec-Op mission I like to set the time to the early morning and make the weather good to create a 'twilight' atmosphere.

I'm not saying online weather is a bad idea, just that it shouldn't be compulsory.

I give up MadDogX...

Arguing for the sake of arguing is just not my intention.

It should be an OPTION that could be turned off / on

Noone said different

click...on...click...off

smily1037.gifsmily1044.gifsmily1037.gif

Take a break and read what we wrote.

Quote[/b] ]BN880: Really? Almost all the missions I make run as much random weather and semi random fog as possible.

When I make missions I try to adjust the weather to fit the atmosphere. For example in a large battle I would increase the fog and perhaps have it rain. In a Spec-Op mission I like to set the time to the early morning and make the weather good to create a 'twilight' atmosphere.

I'm not saying online weather is a bad idea, just that it shouldn't be compulsory.

No one says it should be compulsory. smile_o.gif