Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Britain to slash military jobs

Another problem which will pose The Army:

All of the Scottish regiments will be grouped as one regiment known as The Scottish Regiment (possibly), with the total loss of one regiment.

There may be battallions under that regiment named as the old regiments eg 1st Battilion Scottish Regiment could be known as The Black Watch or Kings Own Scottish Borderers etc. This may allow for the current regiments to be able to keep their regimental Tartans and symbols but this may not be allowed

The same will happen across the country with the possible merger of The Worcestershier & Sherwood Foresters Regiment, The Cheshire Regiment and The Staffordshire Regiment. These may be known as the Mercian Regiment (or something similar).

A senior Scottish officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Scotsman that the changes were "disappointing and spiteful", raising the prospect of an unofficial campaign against the cuts.

Personally i dont think this should happen because they will lose their cap badges, regimental history (all of it), and mascots etc as they will be known as one regiment.

a simlar thing was planned just before the falklands war....that soon changed their minds, unfotunaltey its going to take something as horrible as that or a new government, hopefully the latter

a simlar thing was planned just before the falklands war....that soon changed their minds, unfotunaltey its going to take something as horrible as that or a new government, hopefully the latter

I would like to see a new government, but although the Tories would not go ahead with the amalgamations, they have said they would freeze defence spending. That amounts to a hefty cut in real terms. What we need is a commitment to good defence spending along with a respect for the traditions and history of the army. Labour seems to offer one and the Tories the other. I hope the Tory position moves one which will offer the financial support we need.

It was in the Times that Blair is planning for 5'000 troops to be sent to Sudan.....thats right Mr Blair, cut back the armed forces but give them even more jobs to do rock.gif

On a side note, the SAS is being expanded by another squadron.

It was in the Times that Blair is planning for 5'000 troops to be sent to Sudan.....thats right Mr Blair, cut back the armed forces but give them even more jobs to do  rock.gif

On a side note, the SAS is being expanded by another squadron.

There used to be a 23rd Squadron SAS but that as either been disbanded or moved to be a TA unit.

Its a TA unit.

Yer thought it was, read it some time ago (bout 2 years)

They have a barracks in Newport South Wales, on Barrack Hill (Funnily enough). We played rugby against them once. (Never again)

They have a barracks in Newport South Wales, on Barrack Hill (Funnily enough). We played rugby against them once. (Never again)

what was result, you win so they got scared? lol

It's the Treasury forcing the cuts. Hoon is just the messenger boy when he should be standing up for the forces and fighting the closures.

Front page of the Sunday Express said RMA Sandhurst would be closed. now that would be a loss (my mate graduated their in 1999 and had an incredable passing out parade/party).

21st SAS is the "Artists", 22nd is the famous full time pro's, 23rd is TA....i think....may have 23rd and 21st confused.....

Anyhow, 22nd to be expanded by another squadron (50 men)

21st SAS is the "Artists", 22nd is the famous full time pro's, 23rd is TA....i think....may have 23rd and 21st confused.....

Anyhow, 22nd to be expanded by another squadron (50 men)

The Artists Rifles have a nice clubhouse down in Bisley. Had a few pints there last month.

This is why I like the Republican party here in America. I have seen noticable improvements in funding since TBA took office. However I don't like the black beret (not that we wear them in my unit) and the Stryker.

what was result, you win so they got scared? lol

Nah the match was close, but they beat us..... and caused serious injuries.

Still they were made so drunk that night, some of them nearly died! Ha, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

The SAS are trained to withstand heavy drinking...... biggrin_o.gif