Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Al Jazeera

Quote[/b] ]Arabic TV network Al-Jazeera has received CRTC approval to broadcast in Canada.

But the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission in Ottawa turned down an application to offer Italy's RAI International to Canadians as a digital specialty service.

In a written decision, the CRTC said that it has decided that distributors must record Al-Jazeera programming and keep the recordings for a specific length of time in order to ensure that the content is not overly harmful to viewers.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet....ational

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp....0116467

I am very happy about this, if at least the other side of the rhetoric could be shown on TV here, we'd have a lot more people who have an ounce of a clue about what goes on abroad. biggrin_o.gif

New Al Jazeera Ethics code unveiled

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR....640.htm

Quote[/b] ]"Some people say we are taking the nightmare into people's houses and we are putting too much blood on the screens. If we don't report the ugly face of war, would that mean we abided by the criteria? Would we be embellishing the face of the war?"

Ahmad al-Shaikh,

Chief Editor, Aljazeera

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Aljazeera Code of Ethics

Thursday 15 July 2004, 20:45 Makka Time, 17:45 GMT

The code was announced on July 12 at the Doha conference

Tools:

Email Article

Print Article

Send Your Feedback

Being a globally oriented media service, Aljazeera shall determinedly adopt the following code of ethics in pursuance of the vision and mission it has set for itself:

1. Adhere to the journalistic values of honesty, courage, fairness, balance, independence, credibility and diversity, giving no priority to commercial or political considerations over professional ones.

2. Endeavour to get to the truth and declare it in our dispatches, programmes and news bulletins unequivocally in a manner which leaves no doubt about its validity and accuracy.

3. Treat our audiences with due respect and address every issue or story with due attention to present a clear, factual and accurate picture while giving full consideration to the feelings of victims of crime, war, persecution and disaster, their relatives and our viewers, and to individual privacy and public decorum.

4. Welcome fair and honest media competition without allowing it to affect adversely our standards of performance so that getting a 'scoop' will not become an end in itself.

5. Present diverse points of view and opinions without bias or partiality.

6. Recognise diversity in human societies with all their races, cultures and beliefs and their values and intrinsic individualities in order to present unbiased and faithful reflection of them.

7. Acknowledge a mistake when it occurs, promptly correct it and ensure it does not recur.

8. Observe transparency in dealing with news and news sources while adhering to internationally established practices concerning the rights of these sources.

9. Distinguish between news material, opinion and analysis to avoid the pitfalls of speculation and propaganda.

10. Stand by colleagues in the profession and offer them support when required, particularly in light of the acts of aggression and harassment to which journalists are subjected at times. Cooperate with Arab and international journalistic unions and associations to defend freedom of the press.

source http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/07256105-B2FC-439A-B255-D830BB238EA1.htm

fine, report that women and children are dying in a war, i see no problem with that, show pictures of the aftermath of war, but don't push the pictures of dead babies because it has shock value, you cheapen the people who you are supposidly reporting about.

Yeah, but someone might have to counter the total lack of the images on mainstream media. Anyway, I know Aljazeera have sacrificed even many lives to get some stories/pictures, so I would welcome them on cable anywhere... especially since i can sift through the rhetoric knowingly.

Is Fox News in Canada?....NoNoNo....I find it funny that CRTC approve Al-Jazeera and are bitching about the violence that might/will be on it, and will not approve Fox News...put down the weed...

It is funny indeed, says a lot about Fox. wink_o.gif And I mean that. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It is funny indeed, says a lot about Fox.

Says a lot about CRTC.... wink_o.gif a...f....r...a...i...d.... tounge_o.gif

I think the Canadian goverment is turning against us U.S. people.  I need to stock up on some weapons and ammo, the invasion is going to start soon...

Here's a question to sleep on

Does the Canadian goverment hate America?

You mean you figured this out only now? We are determined to strike way before you do... look behind you!

*Looks behind, slams head into the drawer* Ahh! You tricked me you Canuck! I knew it! Damnit to hell!

tounge_o.gif

Does Canada hate America?

of course,

why wouldnt we?  wink_o.gif  

everyone else does

lol

of course,

everyone else does

lol

You have a point...and that's why we have more nukes then everyone else biggrin_o.gif

Al Jazeera, imo, is the only news station, possibly globably that has given independent reports on the Al Qaida crisis. Many people see them as some Islamic station that brainwashes people in the middle east of pro-islam and anti-christian propoganda. This is not true, both Christians and Muslims work for the network and it is based in neutral Qatar. You want to see what's really happening abroad, watch this channel.

i can receive al jazeera here, too. but it's not very interesting cos i can't understand arabic... sad_o.gif

I can pick up some canadian channels....

*Wonders if he will get it.* blues.gif

damn french Canadians mad_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

Well if I owned a cable network here in Canada I'd be jumping to sign contracts with AJ to broadcast it. I would not go as far as 24h but several hours. People are going to watch it, big time...

Funny, Just as I clicked this link, I heard the same being reported on CBC news.Hmmmm, it's an interesting development, that's for sure.

*edit*

Just watching this on the news:

-Will be censored to Canadian standards.

-Canadian Jewish Congress is opposed, pissed at the CRTC.

-Cable companies and some Arab groups are opposed to the censorship, also pissed at the CRTC

-Everyone's saying the CRTC needs to wake up and smell the roses, for wildly different reasons.

IMHO, since the CRTC is pissing off both extreemes, it is probably doing something right smile_o.gif

Ahh, Al Jazeera has accomplished its mission once again. biggrin_o.gif lol

I just hope someone with balls owns a cable company here, but I doubt it. At least we may see our regular stations use more footage from AJ.

Just watching this on the news:

-Will be censored to Canadian standards.

-Canadian Jewish Congress is opposed, pissed at the CRTC.

-Cable companies and some Arab groups are opposed to the censorship, also pissed at the CRTC

-Everyone's saying the CRTC needs to wake up and smell the roses, for wildly different reasons.

IMHO, since the CRTC is pissing off both extreemes, it is probably doing something right smile_o.gif

You forgot one.

-The Italian mob is pissed off that AJ was O.K.ed but not Italian RAI station.

Soon, the boss of the CRTC sleeps with the fishes.

I saw a fantastic documentary on UK History the other day. It was based in the offices of Al Jazeera during the recent conflict, and revealed exactly what happened.

After watching it, you really see how the channel was demonised by everyone else for no real reason. Hardly Pro-Iraqi, they were banned by the Iraqi propoganda ministry for 24hrs for comments they made about the regime.

of course,

everyone else does

lol

You have a point...and that's why we have more nukes then everyone else  biggrin_o.gif

That tears it. I am moving to Iceland and will find Bjork and make little pixie babies with her wink_o.gif

I am moving to Iceland and will find Bjork and make little pixie babies with her  wink_o.gif

She may be living on a small island in a lighthouse if the interview she did with Frank Skinner's anything to go by wink_o.gif

We've had this in the UK for ages, you just have to pay extra for it. (somewhere between channel 700-999 on Sky Digital

tounge_o.gif )

We've had this in the UK for ages, you just have to pay extra for it. (somewhere between channel 700-999 on Sky Digital

tounge_o.gif )

But this is Canada! Land of the innocent, beer drinking, stick weilding assimilated ones. tounge_o.gif

I think canada is bitter, because the us wont let can export their cows.....

Oh god, I live right on the broerder in Buffalo NY. I'm half canadian, so maybe when they invade they'll show some mercy on me. Too bad my dad was from Montreal...that whole province is like the snob-nosed pricks of Canada that no one wants. Guess I better shoot some more with the invasion imminent.