Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Window transparency

I was wondering, does anyone know a way to make proper windows, through semi transparency, on buildings? Everytime I make something with say 10 transparency in Adobe Photoshop 7, then make it as a texture in a building, if I look through it everything disappears except the actual model its part of. rock.gif Right now the only way this does not happen is if the models transparency is either 0 or 100%, and there is no way to make a realistic looking window like this. Any insight on this would be really appreciated.

Guest RKSL-Rock

<edit> I'll try readint he post properly next time wow_o.gif

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but you may try to find "Move to top" or "Move to bottom" in O2. These are in the "Faces" or "Surfaces" or something-like-that menu, I'm not at home... Select the window faces, and than "move to top".

If you mean something like this:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~mikkoves/windowbug.jpg

Then it is caused by the OFP engine.

As you can see (or actually can not see) the UAZG windows simply "remove" the ZSU from the background.

This is caused by the OFP engine if you have 2 different faces with alpha texture and you are looking trought them both.

You can't actually do anything for this, but making only 1 sided windows might help. Then there is always only 1 alpha texture at the time. But this is not allways possible.

That's why! I had a double sided face textured with a semi transparent texture. Thanks a lot mikkofin!

Actually I tested it out, right now I only have a one sided face (so one alpha channel only being looked through), yet still any object inside disappears. Strangely though if I fire a gun the empty cartridges can still be seen through the window. rock.gif

Strangely though if I fire a gun the empty cartridges can still be seen through the window. rock.gif

This happens when OFP draws those empty cartdiges after the house. So they are visible trought the window.

Everything depends on how the OFP places the objects. Which one comes first (Bottom) and which is the last one (top).

Top objects are visible trought the window.

But I suggest you to cut and paste the window (Changes Z-buffer settings) in o2, then try again. Should help, usually only 2 alphatextures block something.

Do what LizardX told you, select all windows in O2 or, if you want it an easy way, go to the texture window (Ctrl-T), left-click on the window texture while pressing [Ctrl], Alt+right-click in O2, then all your windows should be selected.

Now choose "Move top" from the Faces menu, and your problem should be solved.

Hmm I did the move top thing and still characters dont show up when i look at them through the glass. Any other suggestions on what could be done? Or is this just an engine limitation that does not allow things to be shown through semi transparent glass? rock.gif

I am having simliar problems to what has been mentioned above..

I have 3 buildings, 2 of which have actaully had this problem solved, but I have no idea how I did it....  3rd building is more recent but does have the problem.  All have the canOcclude setting set to the same value... All are also using paa textures.

These are all WRP placed buildings, with the faces with alphas all set to top.  All have the canOcclude setting set to the same value... All are also using paa textures.  They should be giving me the same result as far as I can tell

Viewing through 2 transparant textures...

OFP1128.jpg

(its dark but thats the glass tint!!!, but you can just make out the bis solider model)

OFP1127.jpg

This was done with 2 faces NOT sharing vertices although the vertices occupy the same position, with the faces of course facing opposite directions... Thing is it works...

Viewing through 4 transparant textures...

OFP1125.jpg

Much like the images before, this time 2 sets of 2 sided alphas, again it works.

Nows heres the odd one..[/]

I had thought that I had followed the same procedures as I think I had done before (which I think was making the windows last) but it seems I maybe wrong, I just dont know..

OFP1124.jpg

As you can see I am NOT gettign the soldier model displayed beyond the alpha window...

Anyone got any idea how I may have solved this before...???

I have tried to alter the alpha order but the result is being able to see through the whole building to the outside when looking through the window. (and thats from other side of building)

It seems as though I have a problem with the alpha order and how it related to other items.