Sign in to follow this  
monty67t

BAS Strobe

If you are playing with the BAS Delta/Rangers and you have one of the Blackhawks under your command you can call it in for an extraction. When you do this at night, you throw out an infra-red strobe. This strobe is not truely infra-red or it would only be visible under NVGs. However, it is a great feature. Can the strobe light be made as an addon itself. I see no reason why it couldn't be, but then again, I'm not an addon maker tounge_o.gif . It would be great for coops. Below is a picture of the BAS strobe and a link to my site where you can download a demonstration video.

BAS_strobe.jpg

Special Operations Command->Just go to the downloads page.

man....whats with everyone and BAS?rock.gif Do you guys not think anybody else is as good as BAS? They aren't the "Gods of OFP" like most people call them. They are dead, I knew it would happen, now can we please quit asking BAS to do stuff? They are busy playing with Unsung's BFV Plant Packs!!!!! tounge_o.gif  Why don't people ask people BESIDES BAS to do good stuff?

I know I prolly will get banned for this post. But I'm just saying my opinion. Last time I check, saying your opinion wasn't against forum rules;). Might need to check them again.....

aside from the above, i think its a great idea and i hope SOMEBODY will come up with it. I know we can do it. Not just BAS, guys.....

man....whats with everyone and BAS?rock.gif

What's with you and bashing BAS? The past two threads that I've read have played host to posts by you attempting to trivialize BAS' work. Are you jealous or something?

Quote[/b] ]They are dead, I knew it would happen, now can we please quit asking BAS to do stuff?

He didn't ask BAS to do anything. He asked somebody to take one of BAS concepts and improve upon it. I see nothing unreasonable about that.

I remember the infra-red strobe on black hawk down. tounge_o.gif The part where the littlebirds cant identify who's enemy and who's friendly so a infer-red strobe is thrown on the roof of the enemy's and the littlebirds attack with miniguns biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, downloading now.

There are glow sticks that do the same thing. Probably much cheaper than a strobe. 'Course who really cares if you're going to waste a butt-ton of badguys? Call in the Spooky, lay waste to the masses, and go dig the strobe out from under the mountain of body parts.

Quote[/b] ]man....whats with everyone and BAS? Do you guys not think anybody else is as good as BAS? They aren't the "Gods of OFP" like most people call them. They are dead, I knew it would happen, now can we please quit asking BAS to do stuff? They are busy playing with Unsung's BFV Plant Packs!!!!! Why don't people ask people BESIDES BAS to do good stuff?

I know I prolly will get banned for this post. But I'm just saying my opinion. Last time I check, saying your opinion wasn't against forum rules;). Might need to check them again.....

I'm not asking BAS for this you idiot. I am asking if anyone in the community can make one like the one used by the BAS Delta/Rangers.

Quote[/b] ]There are glow sticks that do the same thing. Probably much cheaper than a strobe.

Chem lights or "glow sticks" are nothing like a strobe light. In real life there is no way you would be able to see a chem light if you were searching for a target or an LZ. A strobe light puts off a much greater amount of light.

Monty

That's right. It flashes with much greater light. Chem light is not even cloely that bright.

No they don't produce the same intensity, of course. In the IR spectrum, however, they'd be effective enough for target marking for gunships like an orbiting Spooky.

The IR sensors on those things are awesome. Now if the dudes on the ground have AN PEQ's, it makes more sense to use those. But I was thinking of the BHD scenario.

No they don't produce the same intensity, of course. In the IR spectrum, however, they'd be effective enough for target marking for gunships like an orbiting Spooky.

The IR sensors on those things are awesome. Now if the dudes on the ground have AN PEQ's, it makes more sense to use those. But I was thinking of the BHD scenario.

They can't do that, they don't go that far, I have problems seeing my Laser. Cool strobe, Monty It's alot cooler than the BAS one.

Quote[/b] ]Cool strobe, Monty It's alot cooler than the BAS one.

It is the BAS one, lol. I am asking if anyone can make it as an actual addon.

Monty

I could probably make it as a standalone addon, but to my (limited) knowledge, there is no way of making it visible to those only wearing NVGs. That being the case what would be the point of having a standalone version?.

Cap.

Quote[/b] ]I could probably make it as a standalone addon, but to my (limited) knowledge, there is no way of making it visible to those only wearing NVGs. That being the case what would be the point of having a standalone version?.

I never said I wanted one where only people with NVGs on could see it. I just want a strobe, what for, many reasons.

1)Marking an LZ

2)Marking a DZ

3)Marking a target for CAS

4)Identifying freindly troops

This is not unlike the "glow sticks" (chem lights) that were put together recently except marking a target with a strobe is much more realistic than using a chem light.

Monty

Monty....we are seriously looking at releasing these to the community as there is not much point in reinventing the wheel.

We'll keep you posted.

Just a thought about making only the NV goggles see them.  If you make the strobe very faint, goggles will be able to see the strobing, while normal vision would have at least a hard time.  Example: Notice how far you can see headlights approaching with and without NV - dramatic difference. (the strobe effect will help acquisition, if it really is faint for NV)

Not a fix, but something to  nudge toward what you're looking for.

Good luck, great idea. smile_o.gif

correct me if i am wrong, but from what i have heard is that these thing would like a lighthouse in the middle of nowhere in NVG

Quote[/b] ]Chem lights or "glow sticks" are nothing like a strobe light. In real life there is no way you would be able to see a chem light if you were searching for a target or an LZ. A strobe light puts off a much greater amount of light.

Only partially true. Strobes are more effective but chemlights are often used to mark LZ's and DZ's. They make some pretty big ones. IR chemlights can be used to mark both LZ's and targets. Hell, CAS can see a measly 1"x1" piece of glint tape on your LBV of patrol cap.

@ Tigershark

Thanks for the info. I will anxiously await the outcome.

@ USSoldier11B

I know in the four years that I have been in aviation, 3 of

that in an air assault unit, we never used chem lights for

marking anything like LZs. But, you're right that it certainly

doesn't take much light to make a big light through NVGs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Monty

So it can only be seen using NV, can you do this:

Have the addon detect if NVGoggles used and exec a script locally on only those players systems that creates the light effect, so the effect happens but only local to that player. That way if they turn their NVGoggles off it turns strobe off for them aswell and they cannot see it without NVG.. dunno if I am explaining myself correctly.

Basically I had a mission where you defuse a bomb and if it was botched the nuke effect script was to execute, but only the player who defused the bomb saw it so it was local only to them, so surely you can do this on purpose.

Hardest part I'd say is detecting if NVGoggles are used...