Sign in to follow this  
slimady

Glow Sticks?

These are the addons I really love - something new. As much as I enjoys the lastest XYZ rifle or Republic of Utopia Armed Forces, new and quirky addons like this rock! smile_o.gif

glow.jpg

I've got it in as a throwable object with 2 problems.

crazy_o.gif  It doesn't glow

crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif  It still explodes and disappears.

Cap.

You got MSN or ICQ?

I could chat to ya, I might be able to figure it out with ya.

Take a look or ask the guys at ECP, they made the timed grenades.

to not make it explode try putting in the Cfg ammo part of the config

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">explosive=0;

I removed these (*) and replaced it with your suggestion oyman it still explodes but the fireball is gone, it still kick up dirt too.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">*

hit=2000;

indirectHit=1000;

indirectHitRange=5;

minRange=15;

minRangeProbab=0.250000;

midRange=50;

midRangeProbab=0.750000;

maxRange=75;

maxRangeProbab=0.500000;

Cap.

Alright!

I've made a script that is execd from an eventhandler, and when the "glowstick's height" is lesser than 0.1, it creates the real glowstick.

Though I don't think I can make the glowstick you throw, glow.

I played around with trying to come up with a config for an "unexploding throwable glowy thingy" for 10 or 15 minutes. I failed (it still explodes,) but maybe somebody can use this as a base for something more useful.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgPatches

{

class chemlight

{

units[]={"ChemTest"};

weapons[]={"chemlight"};

requiredVersion=1.92;

};

};

class cfgAmmo

{

class Default {};

class Grenade : Default {};

class GrenadeHand : Grenade {};

class SmokeShell : GrenadeHand {};

class chemlight : SmokeShell

{

model="granat";

hit=0;

indirectHit=0;

indirectHitRange=0;

cost=100;

simulation="shotIlluminating";

simulationStep=0.050000;

explosive=0;

lightColor[]={0,1,0,0};

};

};

class CfgWeapons

{

class Default {};

class GrenadeLauncher : Default {};

class Throw : GrenadeLauncher {};

class chemlight : Throw

{

displayName="Chemlight";

magazines[]={"chemlight"};

};

};

class CfgVehicles

{

class All {};

class AllVehicles : All {};

class Land : AllVehicles {};

class Man : Land {};

class Soldier : Man {};

class SoldierWB : Soldier {};

class ChemTest : SoldierWB

{

displayName="CHEMLIGHT TEST SOLDIER"

weapons[]={"M16", "Put", "Throw", "chemlight"};

magazines[]={"M16", "M16", "M16", "M16", "chemlight", "chemlight", "chemlight",};

};

};

I really can see no reason why that should explode, but I'm probably overlooking something very stupid since it's 2:30AM. Then again, maybe I have it all wrong. I don't really have a firm grasp of the various weapon simulations available.

Thanks! But I defined it as a smoke grenade with a reallly slow and invisible smoke.

It works beautifully.

The trick is, the grenade is an "invisible" object, then you use a fired EH and if it detects it being a glowstick, it makes the glowing glowstick object and setposses it in a loop until the nade is dead/isnull/its Z pos is < 0.2, then setposses it to its last known position, but on the ground.

Works nicely, I'll make some screens in a second.

OK the pics of the new working ver!

Glow1.jpg

Glow2.jpg

Glow3.jpg

They are done, but we were having a problem with a missing sound. I can prevent the error by giving it another sound but I'd prefer it to have no sound. At the moment after you've thrown one it sounds like a campfire. I tried making an empty sound but kept getting the error. But I believe they'll be released as soon as MrZig signs in again.

Cap.

Good work guys, I didn't think it would be this popular and can't believe no-one thought of it until I said it!

What about an animation of the snapping of it?

This is my cousin's login so I'm registering my own. My name log in is 'edejl' so I will be posting under that from now on.

[Edit 2] As soon as I can complete my registration which isn't working.

I don't know why this hasn't been thought of before. tounge_o.gif

But as for your request for a 'snap' animation, I can't see a need for it, it just doesn't add anything to the usefulness of the item... that and I can't do anims, about the best you'll get is a new snapping sound (I do not volunteer to make this) to replace the pin pull sound it has now.

Cap.

wow... in the space of a few days we have a great new toy smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Though I don't think I can make the glowstick you throw, glow.

Just curious why people want to be able to throw these chem lights. I have used a ton of chem lights in my Army days, but I sure never threw one. Not bashing, just curious, I will download it for sure. Good work fellas!

Monty

can you configure it as a smoke grenade instead, and the camcreate the object in the point of impact?

Just a thought.

@CERO.

What did you use it for if you didn't throw it? Hold it? I guess that would work too but (I think) special forces and SWAT etc use it to mark out places eg, when a room is cleared and for light I guess...obviously having never been in the army others would know better but I remember seeing a Black Hawk Down documentary where an ex soldier said they threw them into the streets outside so they rescuers would know not to shoot them...that amongst other things got me thinking about it.

well from my understanding. Monty served in the blackhawk. (Correct i think) So at night i guessing he just put the GS in the cabin for lighting rock.gif

U don't throw them but more like drop them.

In the game Vietcong, you had to clear a bunch of VC tunnels and you had to drop glowsticks to mark where you've been.

BTW, maybe the satchel charge "place" animation can be used but replace the satchel with a glowstick.

I have never used a chem light inside an aircraft before, that's what NVGs are for, plus we have "blackout" lights that we use while flying under NVGs. We use chem lights for marking things or we use them as just a source of light. For example, at my last field exercise in Alaska, we used chem lights to mark the different fighting positions along our parimeter. So at night when it was your turn to be on gaurd, you could find the fighting position. Before anyone ask, we marked the back of our fighting positions, facing the inside of the parimeter, don't want to give the position away to the wrong people. Or at night when you are in your tent and it's your turn for gaurd, you could use a chem light to find your gear without having to use a flashlight that might, 1-wake up the others in the tent or 2-make your tent glow from the outside. We try to practice good noise and light discipline when we are in the field. That's why we prefer chem lights over flashlights. Having the ability to throw them is a good idea, I was just curious why everyone was so focused on that. Plus, using them in OFP will be different than using them in the real world. If they are bright enough in OFP, you could use them for marking targets for CAS aircraft and LZs . . . SWEET! Anyways, take care all.

Monty