Sign in to follow this  
sputnik monroe

BF42 is the most realistic military game

This is the second funniest thing i've heard since the hearing problem from yesterday. Or is it sad and pathetic. I surly can't decide.

JESUS F&%@ING CHRIST!

BF1942?? Number 1?? YOU RETARDED BASTARDS!!!

I played that crap game at an internet cafe for a while when my home pc took a dump, and I couldn't find my OFP cd to install it there. That game sucked sh*t through a tube!

It uses "kits", meaning if you want a certain weapon you must take the whole damn kit that goes with it. And there are only 7 kits, each it goes with a certain soldier that has a certain use. That game is fine for little kids or for those monkies that love to play fast-paced gimp games like Counterstrike, but it is in NO DAMN WAY a realistic military simulation. Only ONE thing that it has that OFP doesn't, ability to swim. But I'd drown myself in paint thinner if I had to pick that crap over OFP!

I got one thing to say to those TechTV people after seeing that...

PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS, AND LEARN HOW TO DO SOME REAL REPORTING!

LOL, sorry man, but you come off as the biggest nerd I've seen in a long time. It's just a game. biggrin_o.gif

That said, I'd like to see them motivate their top pick. rock.gif I bet they haven't even played half those games if OFP is #7.

@ July 09 2004,11:24)]Whoa, chill out there bud. Taking the internet seriously can be hazardous to your health.

Wha... This isn't serious?!?!? Where's that slipknot I tied when I heard that The Sims has sold way more than OFP:CWC?! tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Well, this is an outrage really... But as someone said not surprising... Just odd :o

By the way, didn't someone at those MOH forums claim that the list was a result of a poll done on the TV station in questions viewers?

Well, atleast OFP is one of the top 7 alltime games according to Swedish PCGAMER   smile_o.gif

No IT IS ANOYING

OFP never claimed to be the best game on earth, never to have the best graphics and effects, or the best MP-missions, or the best engine

BUT IF ONE PRIZE BELONGS TO OFP ... then it is realism.

Further research reveals:

1. Battlefield 1942

2. America's Army

3. Rainbow Six 3: Rainbow Shield

4. Call of Duty

5. SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals

6. Medal of Honor Franchise

7. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

8. Conflict: Desert Storm

9. Day of Defeat

10. Vietcong

Even people who like those type of games agree that this list is moronic. One guy said that he only think one deserves to be on that list. Hmm..

Slightely more ''realistic'' version:

1. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

2. Rainbow Six 3: Rainbow Shield

3. Call of Duty

4. America's Army

6. Conflict: Desert Storm

7. Medal of Honor Franchise

8. Battlefield 1942

9. Vietcong

10. Day of Defeat

I heard someone say that Call Of Duty is unrealistic and should be at #10, but it is more realistic then Day of Defeat (CS in WW2), Battlefield 1942 (in CoD you are reassigned to a tank division, in BF42 you just jump in an airplane without any training) and the fact that they call the MoH games a ''franchise'' says enough imo.

3. America's Army

4. Call of Duty

6. Vietcong

7. Day of Defeat

9. Medal of Honor Franchise

10. Battlefield 1942

Fixed.  wink_o.gif

Heh. Well you have to remember that G4TechTv is sponsored by the larger game companies - EA, Activision, etc. If you were making (or producing) this piece, would you want to bite the hand that feeds you? I can't imagine this network can pick and choose it's sponsors...

That said, the network does have some good shows - Unscrewed with Martin Sargent (and the superhott Laura!) and X-Play, with the ever so pretty Morgan Webb.

Yeah, I have a crush on TV personalities. Sue me. tounge_o.gif

Further research reveals:

1. Battlefield 1942

2. America's Army

3. Rainbow Six 3: Rainbow Shield

4. Call of Duty

6. Medal of Honor Franchise

7. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

9. Day of Defeat

10. Vietcong

Even people who like those type of games agree that this list is moronic. One guy said that he only think one deserves to be on that list. Hmm..

3. Call of Duty

4. America's Army

6. Conflict: Desert Storm

7. Medal of Honor Franchise

8. Battlefield 1942

9. Vietcong

10. Day of Defeat

I heard someone say that Call Of Duty is unrealistic and should be at #10, but it is more realistic then Day of Defeat (CS in WW2), Battlefield 1942 (in CoD you are reassigned to a tank division, in BF42 you just jump in an airplane without any training) and the fact that they call the MoH games a ''franchise'' says enough imo.

Agree, besides MP, Call of duty has indeed realistic parts. The scenarios are realistic and historically somewhat correct. It is definetly not correct concerning physics and gameplay, but athmospherics are great.

What about Global Operations? It is the game with probably the most adequate weapons handling and phsyics, I would see it far before COD and MOHAA

It's like Battlefield 'Nam in modern times, ie poor with no teamwork (unless you're in a clan). And it tends to lag to hell even on a server with a few players and a ping in the double figures. But unless they've tweaked the netcode I may be wrong on that part. In short, it's not realistic, you can dodge all kinds of things with agility with the worlds largest chopper the Mi-26. It's like Delta Force: BHD in the junlge lol.

Yeah, I have a crush on TV personalities. Sue me. tounge_o.gif

If you pay the court costs I will! wink_o.giftounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

But lying about the sponsors games can't be good either, can it?

the most realism that comes with call of duty is the kind of shock (dunno how the exact name in english is) you get, if a grenade explodes near to you or sth like this

HA HA HA HA, OMFG HO HO HA AHHHH HA HA HA crazy_o.gif

OUCH!!!

I just fell out of my chair mad_o.gif

Actually depending on the way you see it one can find Vietcong more realistic than OPF.

-Meaning A.I. behaviour seems more realistic in the way they move, hide, duck, use covering fire, how they speak and scream when they get injured or detect the enemy, etc...

-How SF green berets actually fight with their rifles instead of running for the nearest helicopter or M1A1 MBT.

-Environmental sounds, animals like birds, rats, frogs, buterflys, ducks, chicken all nicely animated.

-Water that doesnt kill, cant swim but atleast can cross a river without taking injury.

-Awsome high rez vegetation, incredible textures, detailed models, all that makes a game look more realistic and authentic.

Sure OPF has its own characteristics that make it feel realistic too but i admit it feels more real when a a.i. unit screams "Gook, over there!" or "Aww f**K, doc im hurt!" instead of "11 o'clock, soldier 200" or "2, injured", etc.

-In my opinion a game that represents its "world" with detail and makes it look closer to reality can be considered realistic too smile_o.gif .

So what was the scope of their lists' decision making? Were they the sole judges? How many military personnel were in the panel who actually tried the games?

Or perhaps, just _maybe_, it could be, that, wink_o.gif they listed off the military type games in order of popularity in the USA.

biggrin_o.gif

It's like Battlefield 'Nam in modern times, ie poor with no teamwork (unless you're in a clan). And it tends to lag to hell even on a server with a few players and a ping in the double figures. But unless they've tweaked the netcode I may be wrong on that part. In short, it's not realistic, you can dodge all kinds of things with agility with the worlds largest chopper the Mi-26. It's like Delta Force: BHD in the junlge lol.

Battlefield: Vietnam is the worst game I ever have bought,

it is terrible.

-It lags, as you said, even if you have few people.

-No teamwork at all

-And it is no such thing as realism in the Battlefield serie

EDIT: If ANY member of TechTV is watching this, try makeing a new list. IT STINKS!

Heh. Well you have to remember that G4TechTv is sponsored by the larger game companies - EA, Activision, etc. If you were making (or producing) this piece, would you want to bite the hand that feeds you? I can't imagine this network can pick and choose it's sponsors...

That said, the network does have some good shows - Unscrewed with Martin Sargent (and the superhott Laura!) and X-Play, with the ever so pretty Morgan Webb.

Yeah, I have a crush on TV personalities. Sue me.  tounge_o.gif

Don't feel bad, Morgan Webb is hot, and her co host is absolutely looney, which is pretty cool. Martin Sargent has to be one of the funniest shows on that network.

X-Play is still the best games show on G4TechTV, all the G4 shows almost act like the PC doesn't exist and act like online play and downloadable content are new things.

But I'd have to say that all your lists are wrong, unless you're only talking about FPS type games. I would rate a couple flight sims and Steel Beasts above OFP.

Day of Defeat shouldn't be on the bottom.While it is a half-life mod like Counterstrike it's far from unrealistic like Counterstrike is.

Day of Defeat has the limitations of Half-life ,but for what it has it's somewhat realistic.There is gun recoil ,no bunnyhopping ,serious differences in shooting while standing up or shooting while prone  ,it got machine guns that can overheat and a dammage system where every gun will kill if you shoot in the head.

Sure it has it's unrealistic quirks to ,but it's far from as bad as counterstrike or BF.

I play OFp for years now ,it's my second FPS that i play for so long.I did play with Day of Defeat for years ,and while i rarely play it anymore i still got fond memmories from it.

What i hate when they are reviewing FPS games for quality is that they always compare the other games with OFP cold war crisis out of the box (with those old screenshots) ,this while OFP has grown so much the last years and will undoubtly even grow more in quality and realism.

Take OFP with WGL mod ,it's deffinatly the most realistic fps i ever seen.

1. Battlefield 1942 (Unrealistic POS, I can't believe I blew 50 bucks on this)

2. America's Army

3. Rainbow Six 3: Rainbow Shield (Never played it)

4. Call of Duty (I enjoy this game, more realistic than MoH)

5. SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (It has bunny hoppers, I think that explains it.)

6. Medal of Honor Franchise (no comment)

7. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (We love you!)

8. Conflict: Desert Storm (NO)

9. Day of Defeat (Never played it)

10. Vietcong(Meh)

If it were my choice and adding games into it, it would look more like this:

1. Operation Flashpoint

2. America's Army

3. Ghost Recon(Or IL-2?)

4. Full Spectrum Warrior

5. Call of Duty

6. Hidden and Dangerous2

7. STALKER(*Not a Military sim, but I dont care I couldnt think of anything else)

8. Red Orchestra Mod(might not count...meh)

9. Day of Defeat

10. MoH

...and the only decent MoH game(IMO) was Underground....hmm I wonder why..... wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

lol I wonder if EA payed techtv for that! I wouldn't be surprised

I mean in BF1942 tanks shoot fireballs with a 100m range lol

tanks get damaged when you run over things...

Well what surprised me is what games didn't even make the list. Ghost Recon, Hidden and Dangerous, and any flight sim.

I gotta admit I haven't played Ghost Recon or the newest H&D, but from every thing I read they are pretty good. Why no flight Sims? Shouldn't Falcon, Flanker, IL2, and others be on the list? I mean flight sims tend to be (at least in the good ol days) pretty darn authentic. Also how about Steel Beast and Microprose's old M1 tank platoon?

Personally I don't think any console games should of made the list at all.

Battlefield is a terrible game. I can see that some people don't care for realism, but the game looks like a bad mod. Japs with German guns? Americans with Enfields? Russians with American guns? Come on any one who at least had played medal of honor or seen SPR knows the US used the M1 Garand.

Battlefield... yuk! Contra should of been higher on the list than that piece of garbage.

Quote[/b] ]Gollum1 @ July 09 2004,02:54

LOL, sorry man, but you come off as the biggest nerd I've seen in a long time. It's just a game.

WTF? Nerd? I happen to be a prior-service US Army soldier that knows what realism is about! I play games for realism, that is always my highest concern. So to see someone rate BF1942 as the most realistic military game makes me want to puke in the faces of those reporters. And I am not alone on this.

Yeah, it might be a game, but all these people out here trying to help build the OFP community are getting a big damn kick in the jimmy from these tards. Trying to rank OFP so low on the list, while that unrealistic as hell BF1942 series sits on top, that is enough to make me never watch their entire network again. Game or not, that's just FUBAR!