Sign in to follow this  
sebexxx

What about a mac version ?

I have switched to macintosh for a year now. Because of my work.

That is a tragedy cause I can't play Flashpoint anymore.

If you could do a mac version of Flashpoint 2, so that I don't have to buy a new PC in 2005.

I would be very suprised to see it on a Mac, but you may be able to run it on a Windows emulator. It's been a while since I've had a Mac, so I don't know if it's more doable now than it was then.

Macs are very powerful machines .... when editing video, etc. They are simply not set up in a manner consistent with PC games. They can't really handle them on par with a PC. Sad but true. If a company wrote games FOR the mac, they would work fine, but the architecture is just... different.

That's why I chose PC even though I would prefer MAC.

The problem with macintosh is no longer the structure of the machines. There are almost the same components as in PCs. The problem is that Apple doesn't develop good video drivers for the videocards. It looks like when ATI has more powerful cards but bad drivers to run them.

Microsoft's next release of Virtual PC (windows emulator on mac) might offer a direct X compatibility. But it might be slow...

Well I got a G5 Mac, And I must say most of my games rin pretty smooth on it.

Only needs a new mouse and a nice little headset. and your off to go smile_o.gif

do you run ofp on a g5 ??

Dont think thats possible at all but if it is I would be very very happy!!

Biggest problem runnig pc games on a mac is that there has been no native support for graphic cards with virtual pc or other (?) emulators. I tried once to run Medal of Honor on a G4: You could not even navigate the main screen ...

But: I read somewhere - ok at macrumors.com - that there will be native graphics hardware support in the next version of virtual pc, the version mentioned was 7 i think.

Driver development on the PC side is downright brutal, 1fps difference crowns the king card. Macs have been and will always be more 'esoteric'. Comments recently from Nvidia about their 6800 DDL board said that they give the API to Apple, who then makes the driver how they want to.

Comparing MS's XP driver to even a detonator 4x.yy, I can only imagine what a 1/2way decent driver could do on the mac.

Does Wine work on the Mac, and does OFP still work under Wine?

Item two, if OFP2 were designed more modular, and platform independent, and based on OpenGL instead of DirectX, porting to Linux and MacOS would be far simpler. But it's kinda too late for that, and that would complicate development for the Xbox, although it may help for the PS3.

it works under wine or similar windows emulator on linux but the mod folders that you want to use in the desktop shortcuts is kind of impossible my friend told me tounge_o.gif

But i wonder if it can be a way to overcome that issue.. rock.gif