Sign in to follow this  
Madus_Maximus

Tales of War: CH-34 Public Beta Release

I can't wait to get home from work to try out that SOG version, thanks for making one of those.

Now all I need are Viet pilots smile_o.gif

this may be a dumb question but whats sog?

I can't wait to get home from work to try out that SOG version, thanks for making one of those.

Special Operations Group

Special Operations Group

wow_o.gif i c now lol

Special Operations Group

Actually it stands for studies and observations group..it was the CIAs "covert" army during the Vietnam war the members mostly came from Army Special Forces, Marine Force Recon and the SEALs..the name was given to make others think the unit was something else than what it actually was...a combat unit

BTW..nice job on the -34, a MUCH needed addon for ofp...it's nice Nam Pack Marines actually have some non-Army equipment to ride in now biggrin_o.gif some observations:

-A new rotor sound would be GREAT..I've always thought the BIS Oh-58 sound sound really pansy

-Oh if you look down through the rotors the graphics get all funky..I've seen this in other older addons..

-Are you gonna make new pilots or use the Nam Pack ones..maybe a Marine pilot and you could use the Army pilot that comes with the Nam pack for the SOG and Army versions

-the door should probaly be open by default

my 02 cents

Again thanks and GREAT job biggrin_o.gif

"Maybe we'll add some of those old classics...

Like Cowboy and the rest of the Kingbees (for the SOG version).."

great smile_o.gif And the pics look great.

Special Operations Group

Actually SOG stood for Studies & Observation Group ;)

Special Operations Group

Actually SOG stood for Studies & Observation Group ;)

lol..you might wanna check the 1st page..beat ya to it tounge_o.gif

Mirror up at HawkNam. smile_o.gif

http://www.tuote.org/~black-....808.rar

I got an error from it though. Once I placed it on the editor there was an error about: "}; invalid number in expression" or sth like that once I hit preview.

VV

Hmm, wish we added the rotor dust lol... o well!

VV

The "}; invalid number in expression" is an error caused by an error in the added rotordustscript

It was there all the time max :P

And thanks for the mirror btw smile_o.gif

These are really cool aircraft, I'd agree with having the doors open by default too. Also, what's the troop capacity for these egg-beaters?

SOG wasn't a CIA run operation, it was run by Military Assitance Command-Vietnam (MAC-V), which took over all special military operations in Vietnam (except the later Operation Pheonix) during what was Called Operation Switchback. The CIA started SOG, at the time called Spec Ops Group, but it had huge problems under them and they lost control over it. That's what I recall anyway, it's been a while since I read the book.

Well the real things carry 16 (or 18.. but that might be the Wessex... anyway) but these can only carry 10, unless we scale it up but then we'd have to change everything inside and so on so it doesn't look silly, and as though the units are children lol. Anyway, we've got someone working on the cargo anims and with some luck we'll have some pics soon. Glad you all like it!

dang now you did it ;)

i was working on a uh (not ch) 34 for a veeery long time. unfortunatly RL didn't let me finnish it sad_o.gif I always wondered who would release this chopper first. hehe.

Anyway. Nice chopper.

A pic of my version ;)

(btw. IIRC in  FMJ they used britsh Westland versions of this chopper which aren't the same. the nose looks very different for example)

Yup it was a Westland Wessex, the turbine exhausts are the biggest giveaway wink_o.gif

queens.jpg

Hardly surprising since it was filmed in Britain, on the Paris Island bit, you can tell if you look at the road markings wink_o.gif

Downloading now, looks good in the screenshots smile_o.gif

Very cool smile_o.gif Glad we finally have one of these. Idea: A crashed version would be really cool, maybe even a script that replaces the regular model with the crashed one(like on the Mi-2 that was realeased a year or so ago). The models and textures look very, nice. Good job smile_o.gif

I just thought of this but do you think you could add in the lighter green Marine Corps paint scheme with the next realese? Or is this scheme accurate to what was really used? I'll see if I can dig up a photograph.

Well the pic's we have show it pretty much this colour, but we'll look into it, maybe the colour settings of the photo weren't true to life (although it is quite difficult to match colours from real life to a comp, as people's monitor's are different too). Anyway, we've already got a list of improvements and "goodies" that's growing hehe. We're not sure when the next release will be as a lot of the team is on holiday for a week or so.

If anyone is interested in joining then we'd be happy to see what you can do. We mainly need someone who can texture really but all other skills will be looked at too. Anyway, if interested please PM me or email me (also my MSN contact) at madmaxpayne40@hotmail.com

at first i wasnt gonna download it. . .i thougth eh i dont use nam stuff anymore.

but i thoguht just for the hell of it. . the resistance forces would be more inclinded to use outdated vehicals. .. so why wouldnt an old helo joky on nogova own a CH34.

the textures on this are beautiful . . . the interior is amazing wow_o.gif

only thing i suggestion: the cargo door and the pilot/gunner door be animated

They used this chopper in that movie navy seals starring charlie sheen and micheal biehn.

iam pretty sure that was a sea king but i lost the movie so u might be right crazy_o.gif

They used this chopper in that movie navy seals starring charlie sheen and micheal biehn.

iam pretty sure that was a sea king but i lost the movie so u might be right  crazy_o.gif

it was a sea king. . . i have the movie on VHS. damn i love that movie biggrin_o.gif

woohoo  biggrin_o.gif  glad to see you guys back. looking forward to the littlebird pack as well  smile_o.gif

regarding addon: texturing and modeling are top notch. I especially enjoy the cargo area smile_o.gif . However, I think the instrument panel can be improved. Most of the panel looks "flat" and many of the instruments aren't functional.

well well...

nice reactions and its still a beta. smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

I like like. But i had this proplem. When I was flying around Tonal in the SOG version. I enterdd command view and after i tooke the camera out a but the helicopter turned in the black no marking version. I'm gonna experiment with it some more but I love these helios smile_o.gif

How about the orange SAR version? Could you make one of those plz? OFP hardly has any SAR choppers, and I always thought the Chocktaw was one of the best SAR birds...