Sign in to follow this  
Tigershark_BAS

Very Important Announcement from BAS

Mine would have to be the littlebirds smile_o.gif

I just love those cute little choppers.. parking them behind buildings and then jumping up and shooting at passing tanks.

Oh and I loved the Deathroll wink_o.gif

Yeh, damn shame the new version didnt get released really, I personally put in well over 500 hours on it..... and it flew like a dream too.

Good question TJ,

I'd have to say Tonal is my #1 - it's the whole package, and it just looks bl**dy great wherever you are and whatever you're doing.

Joint 2nd place to Delta/Rangers next for the weapons and quality of the models/textures, and Blackhawks for neato-ness beyond the call of neato.

Littlebirds a very close third for sheer affection, and because they're perfectly suited to early OFP's "seat of the pants" use of technology. I can't hover behind a treeline and tell an SA6 from an SA11 at 10km, but I sure can drop four badass Deltas in your backyard while my copilot covers with his MP5biggrin_o.gif

Yeh, damn shame the new version didnt get released really, I personally put in well over 500 hours on it..... and it flew like a dream too.

haha, TJ, we all put in a ton of time on it smile_o.gif It is a damn shame.

dammit sad_o.gif

Id probally say Tonali Pack then the Chinook, its a shame with the latter it will never be fixed sad_o.gif

How about releasing them "As Is", with the bugs so somebody else can sort them out?

My favorite addon would definitley have to be the Delta/Ranger's Pack. Coming in second for me is a tie between the Blackhawks, Pavehawks and the Little Birds.

coming in third for me is the Tonal pack. but it was all so close.

In a sence all of them are my favorite because of the quality and time you guys put into them. You guys made them all so great.

I don't want to put down the other addons makers but you guys are the best and the way you guys do your stuff. You will always be the best.

BAS ALL THE WAY!!! biggrin_o.gif

I agree with MSpencer as do many others.

Just release them. And like he said someone else can sort out the bugs for you guys while you are away.

BAS ALL THE WAY!!!

No, thats not a good idea im afraid, and it's not gonna happen.

Still, there's plenty of play left in the existing addons. Maybe somebody could knock up another mini campaign or so.

It wont be me though tounge_o.gif I just bought myself a new Winchester 12 bore, so i'm too busy keeping the neighbours awake........now where's that damned cat that keeps crapping in my garden...

crazy_o.gif

My favor BAS addon was the scripts you made TJ you have opened a new dimension with your nice scripting to the community wink_o.gif

This thread still makes no sence to me.

How many people are on the BAS team? This should'nt be likea domino effect where if one person stops making addons in a team, they all do.

This is still really confusing to me, why the hell did every single BAS member decide to crap the deck and not take lead? Or stop making addons at that?

I'm still confused.

This thread still makes no sence to me.

How many people are on the BAS team?  This should'nt be likea domino effect where if one person stops making addons in a team, they all do.

This is still really confusing to me, why the hell did every single BAS member decide to crap the deck and not take lead?  Or stop making addons at that?

I'm still confused.

However no one member of the BAS team can create a BAS standard addon. We're all involved, be it modeling, scripting, writing the config etc, it takes all of us. And having been making FREE addons for the last 3 years, we thought it was time to take a break, and live our own lives for a while.

First i wanna say thanks to BAS for a lot of great work. You really took the game to a whole other lvl and set a standard for what a good addon is. I myself have all of them.

But then i also have to say your exit gives a bad taste in my mouth/mind. As other people have said you have been teasing the OFP community for over 6 months when pictures of all kind of addons you where going to release. Saying "look what we are making you will get it soon but we wont say when because its our motto" and now there´s nothing.....

I know, as all others, that there are real things to take care of in "the real world" (what ever that is wink_o.gif ). So now all your teasing comes back an bites you behinds big time and you are leaving a lot of people very disappointed sad_o.gif And yes its your property and all but maybe you shouldnt have made such a big thing about it then...

Also there's something else. With JAM you started something that mods started to make the addons around. But it really isnt finished. I dont think that JAM even covers 1/10 of the weapons being built by the bigger mods that already or are who are thinking about using JAM. In that way JAM is now a dead thing, which is sad.

Last some thoughts about the missing addons

Littlebirds

If its the bike mount thats making the trouble cut it out and lets us have it with the rappel/ladder scripts that already tested and worked. And as TJ said in a earlier post "Yeh, damn shame the new version didnt get released really, I personally put in well over 500 hours on it..... and it flew like a dream too."

Special Forces Vehicles

With the very first pictures released about the SEALS you also had pictures of a light attack vehicle. How far in progress is this?? Im not talking about the land rover.

Anyways looking forward to see your work in OFP2 if its ever released

wink_o.gif

Damn i was really looking forward to the MH-53

Exactly as DM says,  pretty much every project was a team effort, and not done seperately, but rather each feature as it was conceived and realised had to be done in real time.

For instance the fast roping or ladder extractions on the MH60's, I had to be in contact with STT and say, "can you add X to the model please", he'd do it, and i'd proceed, then need something else, meanwhile ebud was texturing and rom was tweaking the textures and DM was making all the ammo work together and TS was providing accurate details and pics and Nagual was making missions. Lots of things could only be done with real time discussion to explain to each other exactly what was needed, and we use IRC for that. Given the worldwide nature of the team UK - US - AUS - Japan getting together was difficult, and meant many many 4am mornings etc.

Personally I lost a lot of sleep, a lot of my business (im self employed), and a lot of time with my family (wife n 3 kids), and I know the same goes for the others.

At the end of the day, you have to ask, "Is it worth it?"

Sure I made some great friends playing with the stuff online, and I learnt a lot, but I also lost a STACK of money, Å5000 or Å6000 in lost earnings would not be overestimating, and hours and hours I could, and probably SHOULD have spent with my children.

And all that for FREE. What really put a nail in the lid for me though was the fact that I couldnt even get a temporary position as a beta tester for Codemasters, who just happen to be based up the road from me. I didn't quit because of this, but I started to realize that it was time to take stock...

All the comments like " I though as much because blah blah..." make me laugh, most of those making them have no idea what goes on behind the scenes....

BTW, did y'all see that the Pavies are updated?

Pavehawks

Cheers

TJ

So now all your teasing comes back an bites you behinds big time and you are leaving a lot of people very disappointed  sad_o.gif And yes its your property and all but maybe you shouldnt have made such a big thing about it then...

Teasing? All we ever did was post pictures, plenty of other mods have posted pictures, plenty of other mods have faded away. Who was to know that we would not see things to fruition back then?

Who knows, we might have decided this long ago, and you wouldn't have the Blackhawks, Pavehawks or the MH-47 or other addons.

Its much better to be thankful for what you have, than to mourn what you dont.

@Everyone begging for releases "as is"

IF we were contracted to you, it would be a different matter. Since we are not, it would be a wise choice NOT to expect anything. What it should encourage you to do, is get up and learn how to do it yourselves.

No decent hummers? Make 'em yourself then wink_o.gif

The desert pack was marfy's stuff, they were just updating the configs and adding some extra details like kit bags in baskets and stuff and model touch ups. Also I think its a shame because now I doubt we'll ever see Marfy's Humvee's which he put hours and hours of work into. And I meant the whole team, sure maybe SelectThis is working for them, IMO he's the one with the most talent out of the lot.

they had more stuff in the desert pack than just a few retexture hummers.

Just FYI Marfy could of have done most stuff in the pack except the HEMMT's. Look on the OFP.info archives, you can see screenshots (dead links now though) of his very old work that he never released.

He did an Abrams, TOW, Vulcan, 5 Ton Truck, HMMWV, Bradley, and M113. That accounts for like 85% of the whole pack.

So what was everyones FAVOURITE Ballistic Addon Studios addon anyways? And why?

TJ

That's a tough question.

If you're talking about units, I'd say the Rangers since I have by far gotten the most use out of them. My close runner up would be the MH-6 since that was so much fun to fly, and the MH-60s would be a third place finish for me.

If you mean overall, definetely Tonal. I'm still finding new things on it.

The desert pack was marfy's stuff, they were just updating the configs and adding some extra details like kit bags in baskets and stuff and model touch ups. Also I think its a shame because now I doubt we'll ever see Marfy's Humvee's which he put hours and hours of work into. And I meant the whole team, sure maybe SelectThis is working for them, IMO he's the one with the most talent out of the lot.

they had more stuff in the desert pack than just a few retexture hummers.

Just FYI Marfy could of have done most stuff in the pack except the HEMMT's. Look on the OFP.info archives, you can see screenshots (dead links now though) of his very old work that he never released.

He did an Abrams, TOW, Vulcan, 5 Ton Truck, HMMWV, Bradley, and M113. That accounts for like 85% of the whole pack.

blackdog, i have been around here alot longer than you probally think, im familiar with marfy's work.

Deadmeat, i think the community probally will create them, but its a shame that you could not deliver the content you said was comming.

My favorite addon would have to be tonal! It was like resistance 2.0 . It added a whole new island (like nogova) with a complete story. It added an army for that island and endless opportunities for mission makers. And all that for free. People should step back every now and then and not look at what they would want from ppl but how much they all ready got from those people. Like TJ said ... these guys have invested lots of time that they could have spent otherwise in giving us guys something for free. If you want something that desperatly you could actually just assemble a team and make it yourself ... i wanted something and i started NAFP smile_o.gif All it takes is time and effort.

its kinda amusing this...

since knowing a few of the boys on the BAS team for a good 3 years now, and chatting to them on MSN daily... the news came as no suprise since how much crap from a community can you take before something clicks and you think 'why, again, am i doing this for free'

and when DM told me on MSN, BAS would be no more for the foreseable future, his next comment seems to have summed up this thread... (from memory - if it serves me correctly)

Quote[/b] ]Can't wait to see them start bickering over this at the official forums

and that seems to have summed up every thread BAS are involved with... halfwhit, armchair experts who probally couldn't scratch their own arse with and instruction manual, let alone use O2 and create outstanding 3rd party addons... hell, my work with P:UKF still doesnt come close to 99% of their stuff... and all you managed to do was complain for 2 years straight...

I know there are other reasons behind the break, and DM knows i respect them and congratulate the team on their decision. Its damn brave, but damn clever

to BAS - remember guys, your friends, you affiliates, and any credible mod out there support you 100%, because they know what you go through and what you've endured...

but for you guys on this forum, get a grip... simply get a grip... in some respects, you just killed one of the best addon teams out there.

Happy?

(p.s. Mods... hell, this might be controversial, and hell yeah its meant to get at people... but it needed to be said... full stop, no stop)

Well said Messiah. I have to say after a change of heart, I agree with this. I hope everyone in BAS has a great life, They made GREAT addons and really were a top addon company here. I'm still laughing about the Armchair expert part. biggrin_o.gif

It's like that Episode of Futurama, but real.

"Thank you for your hospitality!"

"Heres your complementary Hot Chocolate."

"Thank yo- Wait! NO MARSHMELLOWS!? DO IT AGAIN!"

Thats what you fools act like. mad_o.gif

i do like to know which part in the script for the littlebird updates is the buggyest part, as some of the things are not really needed so badly for the community

for me it worth the risk to release a quite done littlebird update with workable things on it and bust out those buggy one.......orthrough it doesnt looks shinely, but it still flys like a dream

bye bas, thx you for your time, dedications and great addons! you will always be in my A list of modmakers.

srry 4 the late and short msg, but i'm sick in the hospital connecting via pda sad_o.gif

cheers brothers and God bless

I've moved on from this understandable news but if any of you at ex BAS can help, please report to the addon request: navy seals thread to check on how things are going and maybe throw in two cents here and there not as BAS but as whoever you are.

I do think you should try to release the desert pack before OFP2. A lot of the units are probably going to be in OFP2, and might make the desert pack look dated.