Mister Frag

OFP videography

how many people were working on your movie and why u've made only one blue screen shot? smile_o.gif and can u please give me links on some others mivies u've made ( not only in games if u've made real ones )

- How many people...LOL < JUST ME MAN !!!! > More than 90 hours of filming and 3 weeks to edit the vid  biggrin_o.gif

- One blue screen shot ? .... Sorry I don't understand

- Here are the other movies I ve made: (It's not my job, no real ones... it's just a hobby for me, nothing else...)

1) FFUR PACK 2005

http://hx3.de/files/ofpc/sonstiges/f.f.u.r.2005video.wmv

2) FFUR PACK 1985

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/FFUR_1985_Video;47902

* edit 3) FFUR PACK 1985 : Desert Part

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/FFUR_1985_Video;48296

4) TOP GUN : Bonus movie

http://hx3.de/files/ofpc/sonstiges/f14_f.f.u.r.wmv

Well I for one think Pierre's films are great. They do have their faults (a bit more real-time footage would spice it up) but I certainly would not be able to accomplish what he does. As for sunglasses, well it's only a film so Pierre is entitled to some artistic license. wink_o.gif

I`ve seen all of Pierre`s movies he made for the FFUR mod, and not one of them was boring. Great work, keep it up please. I`d like to see more films in the future. thumbs-up.gif

The real footage in a game video has to be done very well, or it looks crap..

Quote[/b] ]What's that boring dude?

This guy spent more than 30 days 5 hours a day to make this movie, with no offense...I'm not sure that 'boring' would be quite enough to argue about your point of view.

I think the reason it's "boring" isn't from a whats-on-screen view.. Bits of it were impressive visualy.. Like the Anti-Air tracers, the planes take of, and a few bits in the air..

But it loses it's impressiveness when thats all that's on screen for 5 minutes..

What your videos need, IMHO, to be properly impressive is : A story line!

Even if it's not a huge scripted thign with lots of dialouge, even a slight guide as to what the hell all these random explosions are about would improve the video 100 times..

Even if it's just, for a random example :

[*]{First shot} Soldier standing next to a checkpoint [Camera spins around, from face, to back of head, showing a car driving up]

[*]{Second shot} The car keeps driving up, and pulls over at the checkpoint [Camera showing the car driving on the left side, and the solder standing at the checkpoint, both shiloetted]

[*]{Third shot} View over the sholders head, as he look at the driver, the driver grins

[*]{Last shot of first scene} Camera flys back, car explodes, as the explosion dies down, scene cuts to black, text comes on screen "The War started"

Okay kinda cheesy, bad example.. But that one scene that would take up about 10 seconds, instantly gave the whole video a point, and explained all these random explosions..

"Effects films", mainly in cinema, only ever make an impact when their first released, after they diappear from the cinema, people start to forget about them.. All the "great" films have good storylines, and a fair few (if not all) do have special effects and huge explosions etc (Some more than others), but they take a backseat to the storyline, and other things like how the shots are taken (From "different" angles, well composed etc), which is the hugest part in making a film/video not boring..

Sure, filming explosions on a high-end PC, in slow motion and editing it to a bit of music is fine, but if you want to make something people will remember as "special", you either have to do something very original with the effects, or simply put a half-decent story line behind it

Just to clear up, this isn't intended to slag you of, Pierre, it's constructive criticism xmas_o.gif

Oh, finaly

Quote[/b] ]- One blue screen shot ? .... Sorry I don't understand

Basicly you use footage of something against a blue screen, then using the video editing or composoting program, you cut out the blue bits and make it transparent, and you can put them over the top of another bit of video.. Like this

It's used a lot in films (in various ways), which I could go on for ages about, but meh tounge2.gif Mainly it's used to put people in places that are to dangerous to do, and save you time in manualy cutting out the person in each frame, and it's used for the weather reports, to put the maps in behind the presenter etc..

Anyway, I have to go..

- Ben

all the criticism is interesting, but it's a bit unfair given the fact how painstaking it is to actually script and film in OFP.

the camera.sqs itself is very limited in its movements and has to be compensated for all the time in actual scripting

Pierre from Belgium has managed to create the most innovative and breathtaking angles I have seen so far. I prefer good camera work above a storyline.

Hi guys... Thanks a lot for all your comments.

I've understood your suggestions and I did it...!  biggrin_o.gif

I've made a really short film for the Unsung mod. I tried to make a storyline with a setacctime of 1 and I've put more realism with the sound...  pistols.gif

Here are some screenshots: : )

unsung12oz.jpg

unsung28bw.jpg

unsung31xe.jpg

unsung43xm.jpg

It's uploading on www.ofp.info !

Stay tuned !

PS: Thanks Thunderbird for your sounds

There's actually a much better way to get regularly-timed videos without resorting to the relatively laggy setacctime 1, and it's something I tend to do when trying to capture a particularly heavy scene: setacctime 0.1 (or whatever works), and then speed it up/skip frames in AfterEffects/Premiere/FinalCutPro/whatever video editing app you use. tounge2.gif

And DBR_Onix's point about setting is one that I agree with. The main reason I enjoyed your FFUR2005 video (aside from the hollywood feel that I mentioned before) is that there was some context to it. You've got a beginning, middle, and end. An end is not entirely necessary, but a beginning and middle would definitely up the interest factor.

That said, the triple-A scenes in your latest video were awesome. And some of those huge explosions look amazing. thumbs-up.gif

Oh, and almost forgot. Those Unsung shots look great. The first and last shots in particular are already giving off a nice Hollywood vibe. smile_o.gif

I prefer good camera work above a storyline.

Break your OFP discs, now smile_o.gif .

Pierre, looks great! hope you'll find a way to make the (for example) landing of the choppers a bit more extreme (setvelocity maybe? to compensate for the AI's unnatural "tidy" landings) wink_o.gif .

EDIT: Also, if you need some "more human" shots I keep myself reccomended for online acting smile_o.gif .

Break your OFP discs, now smile_o.gif .

huh.gif I disagree. We're talking about (potential) publicity material here, not gameplay. Nobody blames Combat Photographers for taking beautiful shots of scenes without context, and rightly so.

I'm just trying to defend the crafted and skilled nature of Pierre's camerawork, which is truely stunning. The one thing he can improve on is the usage of dxdll to get rid of the first-person User Interface  wink_o.gif

I think that while a story per se isn't critical for publicity material like this, context is still important, as it gives the viewer something to latch onto, so to speak.

To add to the slowmo discussion, I don't have a problem with slomo on the whole, but I've always felt that slomo needs to be used to accentuate something. A particular moment, a particular character or object. If overused, you end up with The Patriot, which was an awful exercise in excessive slow motion. When an entire battle scene is shot and replayed in slow motion, there's no longer any sense of importance to certain key moments. When an important character is killed, it becomes annoying instead of gripping, since it's visually given the same weight as the rest of the half-hour battle.

Wow... it sure has been a while since I posted a video...

Found a day where I could do it.

This is a reworked version of BIS's original Operation Flashpoint -ELITE- video.

Sadly the RN server is down, so for now I must use putfile.

OFPE.jpg

http://media.putfile.com/OFPETrailer

Some things I could not do because of the small number of footage I had. And I don't have OFP:E to take footage from. (or an Xbox anymore for that matter)

All original footage belongs to BIS.

And I'm reading the last few pages of this thread...

Just to let some know, every person has his own unique art style, whether it be photography or videography. To say something is being done wrong, or something is bad - is simply proving to me that you fell in the pitfall of ignorance.

If a video uses alot of slow motion, it obviously must have meant to be a slow paced movie, not an action packed blow-out speakers epileptic fuck fest.

Pierre is making hella good videos and is really using his art style to the max, putting alot of effort into every single shot and movement the camera makes - I'd know.

Video editing is not easy, people make crappy ones, people make great ones. Iv'e seen more crappy ones. But to deny Pierre's videos is to deny the very thing that made Flashpoint: Flashpoint. Atmosphere.

Quote[/b] ]Just to let some know, every person has his own unique art style, whether it be photography or videography. To say something is being done wrong, or something is bad - is simply proving to me that you fell in the pitfall of ignorance.

Specop, no body is saying what he's doing is wrong, they're just critisising it for what they think would be more entertaining for them, the audience, to watch. I personally see nothing wrong with this. If we all did what you said, then there would be no critics anywhere. It's constructive critisism, and it helps to make whatever is being critisized, better; in the audience's point of view.

If he wants to ignore everyone and make his own videos, more power to him. But you don't have to budge in here saying nobody should critisize. If we had no critics andeveryone said "YEAH MAN THAT WAS SUPER!" then we wouldn't get very much progress because we wouldn't know what to change.

OFP Movie Critic-At-Large

Short- but sweet.

That's the phrase I'd use to describe the reworked OFP: Elite video, released by Spec Op 9. Because it is a reworked BIS video, I can't really pass judgement on Spec's video making skills, though I can critique the editing. And since the video is so damn short, so be it with this review. Onwards!

Okay, the music. Probably my favorite part of these videos, the music in this one was, well, how you say...Been done? Yes, the screaming lady/kettle drum ensamble has been beaten to death by every "War" movie and WW2 Saving Private Ryan knockoff video game there is. Not to say the music wasn't good, just not that creative. (not that I'd expect AC/DC to do any better, but please, figure out how to make woodwinds or the brass section do most of the talking in the future, k?) Another eensy-weensy issue that really distracted me was the transition of music within the video. It was WAY too abrupt-but I guess that's what happens when you edit someone else's video.

Now then, the visuals were stunning- because it's Elite. Made me get a warm fuzzy and get nostalgic for the original OFP. Not that it ever looked THAT good, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

To sum up, I believe this video deserves 2 stars, out of 5. Too short to be really significant, but good for those who have never played OFP (yeah, it really looks that good on my PC, man!)Heh heh heh...

-Breaker Out

Dear me, do I hear T-80s? No, cant be. They trust us to guard this base, and keep this fire going, even if it is the desert, in the middle of the day.

It seems like every time I watch one of these "SOVIETZ OWNZ ALL!" videos, a constant theme is the use of the T-80 as a stealth vehicle, sneaking up on ignorant  American servicemen who are simply facing the wrong way, and who are outgunned. Lo and behold, once the tanks roll over the horizon, these tanks become instant Abrams killers, outgunning the foolish Americans on their way to victory for Mother Russia (who, it seems, is a denizen of metal. Who knew?)

This movie lacks in a lot of common places. Firstly, MUSIC. AGAIN. The metal completely overwhelms the audience, not enabling them to hear much of what is going on, only subjecting their ears to a merciless pounding from some guy's Stratocaster. Is it really that necesarry to put that music there? Is the video so bad that it needs the music to remind the viewer that action is taking place on the screen? There has got to be a better way to include music in these videos.

Okay, fine, music aint so hot. But what about the plot?

Plot, what plot?

It seemed as if every time something climactic happened, it would dissapear, out of sight. For instance, when the FA-18 barely makes it off of the runway, it soars into the skies, presumably, to protect the base from whence it came. But no! It flies away, leaving the base open to Sukhoi ( I honestly dunno how to spell that particular aircraft company's name) bombers to destroy what would have been a victorious American force.

Another example comes in the guise of paratroopers who seemingly drop from 30,000 feet, without oxygen, from an invisible vessel in the clouds. Where, prescisely, did they come from?

But, for this review to be of some value, it should be noted that these videos, you know "RUSSIA ROXORZ!" kinds of videos seem to lack any sort of discernable high point. They seem mostly about making as much noise and destruction as possible in the game, without accomplishing too much in the way of creativity.

So, to cap this review off? 1 star, out of 5.

-Breaker Out

Breaker:

Quote[/b] ]Dear me, do I hear T-80s? No, cant be.

If a jet engine's sound can be entirely taken away by a hill (or any natural "wall") I am sure the ground can absorb the sound of some diesel engines. still, it would be obvious that you'd notice half a dozen of tanks moving at <300 meters away, ground shaking, or something.

Quote[/b] ]American servicemen who are simply facing the wrong way, and who are outgunned.

Next: Be aware that the soviet technique is "four to one" , you complain about the americans being outgunned? that's the point! you think attackers will give the defenders a fair fight?

Quote[/b] ]MUSIC. AGAIN. The metal completely overwhelms the audience, not enabling them to hear much of what is goin on, only subjecting their ears to a merciless pounding from some guy's Stratocaster.

Agree with you on there, nothing more to add. maybe something "less extreme" next time too?

Quote[/b] ]Plot, what plot?

Compared to 9/10 movies out there this could be called the Titannic of Flashpoint, with the only exeption that all the other movies make you cry.

Quote[/b] ]when the FA-18 barely makes it off of the runway, it soars into the skies, presumably, to protect the base from whence it came. But no! It flies away, leaving the base open to Sukhoi bombers to destroy what would have been a victorious American force.

You make a 110 degree turn on a fucking dime with a supersonic jet. Above that, I'm studying aircrafts at my school (aircraft mechanic) I can tell you that just about any wrong move after takeoff can lead to an unpleseant encounter with the soil.

Quote[/b] ]paratroopers who seemingly drop from 30,000 feet, without oxygen, from an invisible vessel in the clouds.

Looked more like 3000 feet at max to me. Very amazing you can see from those few pixies under their shuts they dont wear oxygen masks (if they were needed).

Quote[/b] ]it should be noted that these videos, you know "RUSSIA ROXORZ!" kinds of videos seem to lack any sort of discernable high point. They seem mostly about making as much noise and destruction as possible in the game, without accomplishing too much in the way of creativity.

I thought any attack focussed on making as much destruction as possible, guess I was wrong.

Seriously, something tells me you just hate "pro russian" video's.

-----------------------------------

EDIT! and adding to that:

I disagree. We're talking about (potential) publicity material here, not gameplay. Nobody blames Combat Photographers for taking beautiful shots of scenes without context, and rightly so.

---------------------------------yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif <span style='font-size:23pt;line-height:100%'>--><span style='color:red'>C</span><span style='color:blue'>o</span><span style='color:green'>m</span><span style='color:brown'>b</span>a<span style='color:yellow'>t</span><--yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif Photographers!!!!</span>

--------------------------------- yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

well it's not diesel engines in Abrams or T-80... turbines...

these engines causes high tone so it's less spreads around surrounding, causing "sound stealth"

those tuner cars with exaust systems can be heard far away because of low tone...

I don't mind a "Pro Russian" movie, they, once again, are just my thoughts on the film. Im going to be honest, it seems like every time an opinion is expressed on this board, a personal attack comes down on them. Relax. It's my opinion, and Im gonna stick with it.

-Breaker Out

P.S. Were you Gandalf before?

ADD TO THAT

Quote (redface @ Dec. 19 2005,16:03)

Gandalf: Break your OFP discs, now .

EDIT! and adding to that:

Quote (redface @ above somewhere)

I disagree. We're talking about (potential) publicity material here, not gameplay. Nobody blames Combat Photographers for taking beautiful shots of scenes without context, and rightly so.

Which is it, storyline or camera work?

I don't mind a "Pro Russian" movie, they, once again, are just my thoughts on the film. Im going to be honest, it seems like every time an opinion is expressed on this board, a personal attack comes down on them.

This is not a personal attack, it's an answer to the complains you laid out. I am offensive in doing that, yes, care to strike back? make my tomorrow smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]P.S. Were you Gandalf before?

Yep

Quote[/b] ]Redface: I prefer good camera work above a storyline.

Gandalf: Break your OFP discs, now .

redface:I disagree. We're talking about (potential) publicity material here, not gameplay. Nobody blames Combat Photographers for taking beautiful shots of scenes without context, and rightly so.

Which is it, storyline or camera work?

In both quotes he is defending people that make scenery shots, fine, but when you call those people combat photographers, I snap.

Wow. That's about all that can be said. Wow.

Pierre From Belgium has released his new Unsung movie over @ OFP.info, and man, is it great.

Music: Perfect choice. It's period, at the right volume, and the action can be heard in addition to dialogue.

Wow.

The look of the video is great. The camera work, panning from side to side, the Hueys coming in under fire, perfecto. Really, just great. Only camera gripe is the fact that in one scene, the NVA trooper crawls into the camera. Not the best look, but a minor problem.

Wow.

The storyline (this video is part one of ?) was good, and I had an idea of what was going on. An insertion into a hot LZ, and the withdrawal from the situation. As the 'ol croc hunter would say: "beauty!"

Wow.

Realism was great as well, the thought and consideration put into the Unsung units is just astounding. No real complaints, other than (come on folks, you knew I would) the BDU style fatigues on the rotorheads. Not vietnam era correct, but admissible as ERDL camo was used late in the war. (though this is an early war peice, note M-14s)

Wow.

Pierre From Bangladesh, er, Belgium, wonderful work. I really look forward to the next one. This is going to be saved on this critic's computer. What can I say? 4 and 1/2 stars, out of 5.

Wow.

-Breaker Out