Sign in to follow this  
Nathanz

150+ mph through Forrest's

Quote[/b] ]The standard and trafical situation makes the Autostrada a much better alternative than the Autobahn if you'r into driving really fast.

In italy speed limit on autostrada is 130 km/h and during summertime 110 km/h.

Italian Carabinieri and Guardia de la Financa will make sure that you will not go to fast, believe me. They have countless controls on their autostrada´s and the quality of them is bad.

German Autobahn´s have no speed limit. It´s open end.

The speed limit from car facturers at 250 km/h is for safety reasons. A vehicle at 250 km/h is har to handle in critical situations. And not many people are experienced enough to handle a car above that speed.

It´s no big deal though to speed up your car by chiptuning that breaks up the speed limit. It´s not illegal or such.

My record is with a Porsche 911 GT 3 at night on the Autobahn A8 Munich-Salzburg with very little traffic 300 km/h.

You don´t see shit anymore. It´s like a very near tunnel with a liquid street. A former schoolmate of mine is carseller at Porsche and we go on rides throughout summer when we meet. He always has a nice vehicle to test biggrin_o.gif

We tested the Cayene lately and I have to say that I am impressed. Only the typical Porsche face doesn´t fit it imo. But the horsepower and driving was great.

Same for the GT 3 of course but we had little problems when we wanted to drive into a parking garage and the vehicle kissed the ground biggrin_o.gif

We tested the Cayene lately and I have to say that I am impressed. Only the typical Porsche face doesn´t fit it imo. But the horsepower and driving was great.

I had the pleasure of leaving one of those in the dust last year. tounge_o.gif Semi legal...

My record is 130mph in a pontiac GTP. I dont feel safe goin any faster in my car on the country roads by my house...too many deer (even though if i hit em at that speed or higher, they'd probably blow up, but i like the way the front of my car looks without deer brains and dents.)

PS. Im a woss when it comes to car speed. Im the ass that accelerates at racecar speed and tops off at 50mph. I get enough thrill watching the "Fast Cars" 200ft behind me get all "egoed" out and gun it only to hit their brakes when they realize im not gonna speed...

Theres no laws that say I can accelerate fast if I put no one in danger, but i already got a ticket for speeding, so I drive at grandma speeds now.

Am I the only one who feels even a little uncomfortable about going over 150km/h in a 2000kg metal cage on wheels? crazy_o.gif

I dont feel uncomfortable driving at 150km/h on motorways but in small streets ... ghostface.gif

The standard and trafical situation makes the Autostrada a much better alternative than the Autobahn if you'r into driving really fast. You really can't do much better than the autostrada! And that's why all the major car magazines (Evo, Car, Top Gear) prefer Italy when they'r up to serious driving.

that is because of the weather conditions and the reduced traffic!  wink_o.gif but it has nothing to do with the architecture of the roads. During my time in Malta I often had to go through italy to visit home. The autostradas are no different than the old Autobahns AND you got to PAY!

I would defend your point if you would favour the spanish highways or france but italy? Come on, you gotta be kidding! Lots of hills, lots of bad curves, LOTS of accidents, AND definetly as much much traffic. And as I said I had to cross italy 2 to 3 times during that year from south to North and back!

Quote[/b] ]The speed limit from car facturers at 250 km/h is for safety reasons. A vehicle at 250 km/h is har to handle in critical situations. And not many people are experienced enough to handle a car above that speed.

I fully agree, but the Phaeton is a very heavy car and you seriously dont have to be a driving hero to handle it at that speed, not even the outside sound gets louder.

Am I the only one who feels even a little uncomfortable about going over 150km/h in a 2000kg metal cage on wheels? crazy_o.gif

I guess you are smile_o.gif It always depends on your own sense of safety. Just imagine you have a good straight road, with reflective side-barriers, 2 good trustworthy lanes and and zero to no traffic AND the other car-drivers are used and accustomed to other cars driving real fast. Noone should forget that the other drivers are an important factor in the equation. If you drive that fast in a country with speed-limits then you risk to cause an accident. I use my mirror differently than an italian does. I dont only look if there is a car coming behind me, I observe at what speed he is approaching me, sounds logical but is the most important thing to do on the Autobahn.

My record: 295 km/h in a model 2000 Porsche Turbo (not mine unfortunately) wow_o.gif

German Autobahn from Stuttgart to Singen at 5 o'clock in the morning biggrin_o.gif

But it sure as hell is scary! Everything outside your direct focus is just a blurred tunnel and it's amazing to see how fast you approach other cars that are "just" going at 200 km/h.

I'd NEVER do that during the day!

Luckily braking in a Porsche is like ripping an anchor through the road, it only takes a few secs to slow down - and you better make sure the safety belt fits tight...

Quote[/b] ]The speed limit from car facturers at 250 km/h is for safety reasons. A vehicle at 250 km/h is har to handle in critical situations. And not many people are experienced enough to handle a car above that speed.

I fully agree, but the Phaeton is a very heavy car and you seriously dont have to be a driving hero to handle it at that speed, not even the outside sound gets louder.

At a speed like that i seriously doubt that you'll be able to control your car when something goes wrong...

Sure now you'll say "but i'm on a highway, nothing can go wrong because there's no one driving near me".  Well... a lot of ppl that are now in hospital/ in a coffin/or that have murdered someone (yeah i think it's murder when you hit someone at high speed) thought so too.

Sure it's easy when you just need to drive forward, then it all looks very simple but when something goes wrong at 250km/h.  Then you are seriously fucked

You only need to drive about 65km/h to kill someone so i don't even want to know what would happen when you hit someone at 250km/h.

I don't give a fuck if you kill yourself at such speeds, whenever i see someone driving at waaaaay too high speeds i always think "i hope he hits a tree after the next turn".

I guess hitting something (even a human being) is the only way to show ppl that things CAN go wrong.

Same for drink driving, they should execute people who do that... Again, i don't give a fuck about your life but it pisses me off when i see that innocent ppl die just because some fucker was too drunk or felt like driving at ridiculous speeds.

Ok, driving on a highway (i hope this is the right word, i'm talking about those big roads where you can drive fast) at high speeds is a lot safer than on small roads.

But that's still not a reason to drive that fast if you ask me...

And please don't start saying: It's my life that is in danger so don't nag, it's my choice.

Yes it's your life, go ahead and spoil it.  But don't endanger someone else's life while doing stupid stuff...

Damn, here in Belgium the max speed on a highway is 120km/h and we have a huge amount of ppl dying in our traffic every day.  Says enough i guess sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

that is because of the weather conditions and the reduced traffic! wink_o.gif but it has nothing to do with the architecture of the roads.

Of course it has. The problem with the german autobahn is that it's too straight - the curves are not very challenging and it suits germans and other (sorry for the stereotype) people prefering dull driving style - in other words - people who like driving in a straight line (oh yes, the ONE thing germans have in common with americans) wink_o.gif

Now, if you'r into driving the right way you prefer it like the english and the italians who get's it right. If you prefer driving fast on B-roads then you'll love the italian autostrada. Twisting roads and exciting curves makes driving worth wile. Autobahn does not. For transporting as fast as possible from A to B yes, but not for pure pleasure. Any idiot with the right car can nail it and hit 300 kph and survive it.

Next time you drive through Italy you should try out the country roads around Tuscany - and see what I mean!

Quote[/b] ]The speed limit from car facturers at 250 km/h is for safety reasons. A vehicle at 250 km/h is har to handle in critical situations. And not many people are experienced enough to handle a car above that speed.....................I fully agree, but the Phaeton is a very heavy car and you seriously dont have to be a driving hero to handle it at that speed, not even the outside sound gets louder.

I have to agree with you!

I wonder though why so many people are obsessed with top speed (and acceleration) . What defines a truly efficient car is the first and foremost the chassis - then the power!

There are quite a few supercars out there who would be totally humiliated by a Caterham or a Lotus in all areas but sheer grunt on a long straight!

Wait Darklight. First of all what I did is NOT against the law and we KNOW why there IS no such speed limit on these parts of the Autobahn.

Point 1. Did you ever drive a BMW or Mercedes at 220 on a german Autobahn, I tell you it is a yoke and you are not loosing control of your car AT ALL. A Phaeton can slow down rapidly from 250 to 120 without you noticing much, the steering is as stable as a Polo at 100 km/h.

All cars drive into the same direction (hitting a car with 220 that itself drives 100 is still MUCH better than hitting a car that comes towards you with 60 when you drive 60 . Visibility is far, the road has bumpers everywhere, reflectors and a security lane for emergency maneuvers.  

Point 2. Most accidents are caused by abuse of traffic rules.

AND the Autobahn rarely the cause of it. Trucks cause accidents and there you are under risk to drive into an existing accidents.

Point 3. You can see cars from 500m away. You can adapt your speed when you approach them and THEY should be aware and adapt to the style of driving on the Autobahn.

Point 4. On the road to Düsseldorf hundredes of cars drive everyday faster than 200 and there are rarely any accidents.

Point 5. Speeding on an ordinary road with 80 is much more dangerous and the risk of getting killed or killing others is much higher. How do you explain the huge difference in traffic deaths in France, Italy, Spain and even Malta. No, my friend, speeding on the Autobahn when it is allowed is no real danger.

Quote[/b] ]Of course it has. The problem with the german autobahn is that it's too straight - the curves are not very challenging and it suits germans and other (sorry for the stereotype) people prefering dull driving style - in other words - people who like driving in a straight line (oh yes, the ONE thing germans have in common with americans)  

Now, if you'r into driving the right way you prefer it like the english and the italians who get's it right. If you prefer driving fast on B-roads then you'll love the italian autostrada. Twisting roads and exciting curves makes driving worth wile. Autobahn does not. For transporting as fast as possible from A to B yes, but not for pure pleasure. Any idiot with the right car can nail it and hit 300 kph and survive it.

Next time you drive through Italy you should try out the country roads around Tuscany - and see what I mean!

I get your point and I fully agree. I drove around Tuscany and hell I loved it. Early in the morning...red sky...nice fresh air.. nice domiciles everywhere... fantastic.. but I saw a couple of accidents and the roads are not as empty as I expected.. actually they are pretty crowded

Wait Darklight. First of all what I did is NOT against the law and we KNOW why there IS no such speed limit on these parts of the Autobahn.

Point 1. Did you ever drive a BMW or Mercedes at 220 on a german Autobahn, I tell you it is a yoke and you are not loosing control of your car AT ALL. A Phaeton can slow down rapidly from 250 to 120 without you noticing much, the steering is as stable as a Polo at 100 km/h.

All cars drive into the same direction (hitting a car with 220 that itself drives 100 is still MUCH better than hitting a car that comes towards you with 60 when you drive 60 . Visibility is far, the road has bumpers everywhere, reflectors and a security lane for emergency maneuvers.  

Point 2. Most accidents are caused by abuse of traffic rules.

AND the Autobahn rarely the cause of it. Trucks cause accidents and there you are under risk to drive into an existing accidents.

Point 3. You can see cars from 500m away. You can adapt your speed when you approach them and THEY should be aware and adapt to the style of driving on the Autobahn.

Point 4. On the road to Düsseldorf hundredes of cars drive everyday faster than 200 and there are rarely any accidents.

Point 5. Speeding on an ordinary road with 80 is much more dangerous and the risk of getting killed or killing others is much higher. How do you explain the huge difference in traffic deaths in France, Italy, Spain and even Malta. No, my friend, speeding on the Autobahn when it is allowed is no real danger.

Quote[/b] ]Of course it has. The problem with the german autobahn is that it's too straight - the curves are not very challenging and it suits germans and other (sorry for the stereotype) people prefering dull driving style - in other words - people who like driving in a straight line (oh yes, the ONE thing germans have in common with americans)  

I get your point and I fully agree. I drove around Tuscany and hell I loved it. Early in the morning...red sky...nice fresh air.. nice domiciles everywhere... fantastic.. but I saw a couple of accidents and the roads are not as empty as I expected.. actually they are pretty crowded

Yeah i know it isn't against the law but i still think it's pretty dangerous.

Ok, the 'german Autobahn' that you talk about is probably very safe but still... Personally i would never drive that fast for the safety of myself and others. Things can always go wrong if you ask me, even on the safest roads.

It just doesn't look safe to me if you DO hit some(one/)thing at such speeds... We have roads here in Belgium that look exactly like the one you discribe (with a 120km/h speed limit) and we have deadly accidents on daily base on those roads.

So yeah, i still think it's dangerous. I'm not saying that you can't handle your car, sure you might be an excellent driver with a good car but that doesn't count for everybody that drives at such speeds...

I pass through Belgium everytime I go to Paris. The highways are all fully covered with street-lights (excellent) but the condition of the roads is pretty bad (at the moment, but they are rebuilding basically everything). And No, on these roads I never drive quicker than 160, I sense that there is more risk. Especially the entries and exits are arranged more dangerously (or to put it differently: made for a speed-limit of 120-130).

There are simple rules that make life on the highway simple. Keep distant to car ahead. be careful when you approach a car that might want to overtake and stay concentrated. You would be astonished to see how FEW accidents occur because of high speed on an Autobahn compared to drivers faling asleep, not keeping a good distance to the driver ahead, truck-drivers reading newspapers, women reading street maps... italians using their mobiles.

When you drive 220 you have both hands on the steering wheel. You are fully concentrated and you HAVE respect again of the speed you are driving. Humans are able to control a lot as long as they stay focused. Getting tired, loosing concentration.. those are risks!

I pass through Belgium everytime I go to Paris. The highways are all fully covered with street-lights (excellent) but the condition of the roads is pretty bad (at the moment, but they are rebuilding basically everything). And No, on these roads I never drive quicker than 160, I sense that there is more risk. Especially the entries and exits are arranged more dangerously (or to put it differently: made for a speed-limit of 120-130).

There are simple rules that make life on the highway simple. Keep distant to car ahead. be careful when you approach a car that might want to overtake and stay concentrated. You would be astonished to see how FEW accidents occur because of high speed on an Autobahn compared to drivers faling asleep, not keeping a good distance to the driver ahead, truck-drivers reading newspapers, women reading street maps... italians using their mobiles.

When you drive 220 you have both hands on the steering wheel. You are fully concentrated and you HAVE respect again of the speed you are driving. Humans are able to control a lot as long as they stay focused. Getting tired, loosing concentration.. those are risks!

Mwahaha women reading streetmaps biggrin_o.gif

As i said, you seem aware of the possible dangers and you do what you have to do to avoid having accidents. That's nice but sad enough not everyone does that...

Oh and i would watch out if you drive 160 on our roads, we got these little bitch machines (dunno what they're called in english so i'll jsut call 'em little bitch machines) that take pics of your license plate when you go too fast.

And in Belgium we have 'superboetes' what basically means that you need to pay a lot for such violations smile_o.gif

So be careful, when you see a flash in front of you, make sure you slow down before you pass that area biggrin_o.gif

yes, the belgium police is well equipped, no doubt. They are very polite but if xou see the price of the fines then you know why they are so polite.

BUT, the police in belgium is not like the german police. In your country the police is often located on spots that are actually dangerous.

I didnt get flashed so far when going to Paris. Not because there wasnt any police but because I drove carefully around the dangerous parts of the roads...and thats where they are. And to speak frankly, the road-cowboys in Belgium are not the germans, it is the frenchies! smile_o.gif

I have a POI (point of interest)- warner for my GPS PPC. It updates locations of stationary and mobile radar checkpoints during the ride.

If you own a PPC based GPS and use it in your car it can keep you out of a lot of trouble biggrin_o.gif

There is no 100 percent security of course, but if you go to locations where you have never been before and want to avoid getting an expensive portray of you, you should use it.

Of course it has. The problem with the german autobahn is that it's too straight - the curves are not very challenging and it suits germans and other (sorry for the stereotype) people prefering dull driving style - in other words - people who like driving in a straight line (oh yes, the ONE thing germans have in common with americans) wink_o.gif

I would not go as far as saying Germans have something in common with American drivers, I live "here" and can tell you, the right lane is the fast lane. tounge_o.gif

And talking about speed records is terrible for anyone in N.A., it is illegal here, the cars are dangerous at these speeds (many American ones), plus drivers here get 0 training, not liek Sweden etc where people at least have an idea of how to _handle_ a car in extreme conditions.

Yes, you can drive well and smooth at very high speeds, and you can avoid serious situations, but you need to be a good driver with good technique, plus have a car with good suspension/brakes/tires.

Quote[/b] ]let me guess, this system is more costly than paying around 30 fines a year

Negative Albert. The System was 280 Euro.

The bill for going 150 where 100 is allowed is at least one month without your license and 100 Euro cash plus 3 points.

If they get you twice within a year with a 25km/h speeding you´ll loose your license also.

As I have to drive a lot per year it just puts me a bit more on the safe-side to use the POI-Warner.

You might want to check out prices and punishment:

Quote[/b] ]innerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften (gilt auch für 30 km-Zone !)

bis 10 km/h 15,- EUR

11-15 km/h 25,- EUR

16-20 km/h 35,- EUR

21-25 km/h 50,- EUR, 1 Punkt

26-30 km/h 60,- EUR, 3 Punkte

31-40 km/h 100,- EUR, 3 Punkte, 1 Monat Fahrverbot

41-50 km/h 125,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 1 Monat Fahrverbot

51-60 km/h 175,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 2 Monate Fahrverbot

61-70 km/h 300,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 3 Monate Fahrverbot

über 70 km/h 425,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 3 Monate Fahrverbot

außerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften (z.B. Landstraße, Autobahn)

bis 10 km/h 10,- EUR

11-15 km/h 20,- EUR

16-20 km/h 30,- EUR

21-25 km/h 40,- EUR, 1 Punkt

26-30 km/h 50,- EUR, 3 Punkte

31-40 km/h 75,- EUR, 3 Punkte

41-50 km/h 100,- EUR, 3 Punkte, 1 Monat Fahrverbot

51-60 km/h 150,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 1 Monat Fahrverbot

61-70 km/h 275,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 2 Monate Fahrverbot

über 70 km/h 375,- EUR, 4 Punkte, 3 Monate Fahrverbot

Ja, ist gut!

tounge_o.gif Man how much I wish we had Deutche Polizei on the roads in Canada sometimes. biggrin_o.gif There are certain things, like driving, which require discipline and order, we are lacking that... smile_o.gif

Ja, ist gut!

tounge_o.gif  Man how much I wish we had Deutche Polizei on the roads in Canada sometimes.  biggrin_o.gif  There are certain things, like driving, which require discipline and order, we are lacking that...  smile_o.gif

Just push the pedal hard enough... you'll never get any tickets like that...

Whatever you do, just don't brake... or get caught... or smash into a tree...

If you

Quote[/b] ]don't brake

you will

Quote[/b] ]smash into a tree

It needs skills with the pedals when you want to drive good and have a faible for 90° curves.

If you
Quote[/b] ]don't brake

you will

Quote[/b] ]smash into a tree

It needs skills with the pedals when you want to drive good and have a faible for 90° curves.

Hehehe biggrin_o.gif

Oh well, i was just trying to explain how to get away from the cops smile_o.gif

Ja, ist gut!

tounge_o.gif Man how much I wish we had Deutche Polizei on the roads in Canada sometimes. biggrin_o.gif There are certain things, like driving, which require discipline and order, we are lacking that... smile_o.gif

Just push the pedal hard enough... you'll never get any tickets like that...

You're right, a corpse doesn't get too many tickets. biggrin_o.gif