Sign in to follow this  
BBSmith

I need RoadRunner Speed help please

I have just had it with DSL, only going 40kbs as a average download speed, from any ftp, or download site. Now I get RoadRunner in hopes of knocking that 40kbs to 900kbs-3mb!

My friend has cable and he downloads at a normal from sites like "Fpscentral, gamespot, ign" at 300-500kbs, and with my dsl, I made around 43. So, I buy RoadRunner, and it is UPGRADED to 60kbs! Wow amasing.

How can I fix this? A download acellerator isn't opt on this job. I need to fix this problem. It isn't a matter of just getting my internet to go faster, it is to make the internet just go FAST!

Thanks crazy_o.gif

With DSL 512k downstream, you won't get much more.

If you want more, you have to get a faster downstream speed, like 712k or 1MB smile_o.gif

I use DSL and it's fine for me. Sure there are bad days when I want to throw my fucking computer out of the window but normally that's because of the wireless router. Why don't you just get cable?

Isn't Roadrunner cable?

Could you list some specs BBsmith...like what OS and such.

Is the cable modem plugged directly to your network card (or using usb?),using a router?

Using built-on network card? Often setting it to a speed rather than autodetect helps,it may be polling too much.

If you want more, you have to get a faster downstream speed, like 712k or 1MB smile_o.gif

Or move to sweden and get 10-100mbit for a few bucks a month tounge_o.gif

Or move to sweden and get 10-100mbit for a few bucks a month tounge_o.gif

And pay 500% extra on booze crazy_o.gif I dont think so crazy_o.gif

How are you connecting your PC to the Internet? Using a built-in NIC, an external USB NIC, wireless? Are you behind a router? Do you have a software firewall? What media type, duplex setting, and speed is the NIC configured for? Have you tried DSLReport's Tweak Test to check for configuration problems?

The speeds you listed certainly aren't normal or indicative of typical speeds from different types of broadband connections.

Well, I have a

3.06Ghz Alienware Laptop

1024DDR Ram

Pent4

Thing is, I have a Router. I know what yall are going to say now, "Thats Why". But I router shouldnt take a connection capible of 3mbps to 40kbs. Its insane. I called the company (RR) and I had it connected directly. No router attached, well it hit 300kbs. But, evenso, Is there a way to speed up LinkSys Router Connectivity? Ping on games, such as flashpoint are nice and low, like 43. But Downloading is Superslow.

RR had me do a speedtest, and well, i hate speed tests because they always give you a HIGH transferrate when you see the stats for your internet connection.

What can I do? sad_o.gif

No, I was not going to say that your connection is slow just because you are behind a router. In fact, I strongly recommend that all home PCs be behind a router with a built-in firewall. However, it is very likely that in your case, it is the cause of the problem.

Are you connected to the router using 802.11b/g, or twisted pair Ethernet? Have you checked for updated router firmware on Linksys' website? If you are using a wireless connection, try switching channels to either 1, 6, or 11 first, then try all of the others.

Quote[/b] ] ... using 802.11b/g, or twisted pair Ethernet?

I no nothing on the specifics of anything. Nore, do I know what to look for in this situation on LinkSys website, other than patches.

Sorry - what do you mean "Lost Horizon drummer", twice, in your sig?

Surely you aren't the drummer of power metal band Lost Horizon? wow_o.gif

A router does'nt eat off your connection-speed.

Remember that port 80 and 21 is by default always open (web and ftp). If however you're using a p2p-program etc that uses different ports you would want to open those ports for maximum transfer-speed.

My ADSL is 704/128 and I get upto 93KB/s on servers with good connection. 704Kb=88KB. I'm behind a 3Com Gateway with firewall.

Quote[/b] ] ... using 802.11b/g, or twisted pair Ethernet?

I no nothing on the specifics of anything. Nore, do I know what to look for in this situation on LinkSys website, other than patches.

You should at least know whether there's a cable dangling off the back of your laptop or not. The connection type is critical -- I would never recommend a wireless connection for gaming.

Check your router's firmware version, and then see if Linksys has anything more recent on their site. Review the revision history and see if there is any mention of fixes for performance problems.

Your router is certainly part of the problem, since you don't have the speed problem when connected directly to the modem.

Well, That last post.. (Shadow's) As I said, I am not "with" the specifics on anything, so you lost me there.

As for Gollum, Soz, not the drummer you thought. The band I'm in has been goin for 7 years now, and 7 years ago when we came up with Lost Horizon as a name everyone liked it. Untill recently we notice another Metal Band that made their own songs and shot up with popularity. We, on the otherhand just hang out and play a few songs on the weekends.

Back to the Internet. I managed to push the net to start the download at 60, but it slowly progresses to a MAX of 300. And I am Corded, not wirless.