Sign in to follow this  
Monkey Lib Front

Eurocopter's future heavy lift helicopter: the HTH

Eurocopter's future heavy lift helicopter: the HTH.

HTHArt.JPG

History

The German army aviation command has, together with the French DGA, defined the basic requirements for a new heavy transport helicopter. These were also cross-checked with the NATO Landgroup 10 specifications.

Thus, Eurocopter started preliminary studies for a successor to the German army CH-53G helicopters in about 2003. In the spring of 2004 it was said that there are no German funds available for the programme for now.

A new HTH could be available around 2015 – 2020.

Remarks

For long-range airborne operations, NATO nations will need a new heavy lift helicopter to replace types like the CH-53G or the Chinook. Eurocopter is proposing a new design concept that will boost capabilities.

Among the loads will be the Dingo personell carrier.

In the spring of 2004, Eurocopter stated that the HTH would be ideal for international cooperation. Especially, a transatlantic partnership would be preferable, to bring costs down.

Eurocopter proposed to contribute high-tech components like fly-by-wire or fly-by-light, digital flight control systems, glass cockpit and composite structures. An aim would be to use existing test and training equipment from the Tiger and NH90 programmes

General

Crew: 2

Passengers: 70 soldiers

Power plant: 3 x turboshafts

Power: 3 x 5000 kW

Performance

Top speed: 300 km/h

Range up to 1200 km or 5000 km with air-to-air refuelling

Dimensions

Cabin length : at least 10 m

Cabin width: at least 3 m

Cabin height: at least 1,6 m

Weights

Payload: around 10 tons in the cabin

Max. take-off weight: up to 40 tons

Well i hope this won't be the same as the EuroFighter and end up useless.

Eurofighter useless?  rock.gif How do you figure that?

It has been ordered by Britain, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, Greece and Singapore. All in all over 1000 aircraft.

It has been ordered France

Erm, no, keep your junk please.

Sorry, not France. Spain.

You French have that Mirage pice of junk wink_o.gif

Sorry, not France. Spain.

You French have that Mirage pice of junk wink_o.gif

Not Mirage pice of junk but Rafale fantastic technological achievement

Oh stop it, don't you know it's about avionics/weapon systems these days. tounge_o.gif You could fly a WW2 plane and be more effective than an F16 if you had the right gear mounted on it. biggrin_o.gif

I herad Eurofighter is already out of date now this new American plane is coming (F-22 is it??)

But for the Eurocopter, well, what is it like compared to the Chinook or Stallion? i suppose Chinook and other heavy helicopters are all quite old, so must be quite a big improvments on them.

Eurofighter useless?  rock.gif How do you figure that?

It has been ordered by Britain, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, Greece and Singapore. All in all over 1000 aircraft.

only because it would be just as expensive to pull out of the deal than it would be to just keep it in service, it outdated, bloated program that has COST way to much over budget, its a cold War relic designed for an enemy we no longer face, The RAF don't even want it in the numbers we have ordered if at all.

Outdated?  rock.gif The only thing that could be argued to be "better" is the F22 and the JSF (still in development). But that is very arguable as the EF beats both those in maneuvrablity. Long range engagements are usually handled by long range missiles anyway and have little to do with the plane.

There are comparable alternatives, such as the "Flying Brick" Mirage as well as the "Best Plane In The World" JAS 39 Gripen. But they're all fairly similar.

And the EF gets you more hardware/€ than those two planes.

The RAF doesn't want the numbers, because it can't afford the numbers.

What alternative would you suggest, apart from disbanding the RAF or letting them fly Spitfires?

Outdated?  rock.gif The only thing that could be argued to be "better" is the F22 and the JSF (still in development). But that is very arguable as the EF beats both those in maneuvrablity. Long range engagements are usually handled by long range missiles anyway and have little to do with the plane.

There are comparable alternatives, such as the "Flying Brick" Mirage as well as the "Best Plane In The World" JAS 39 Gripen. But they're all fairly similar.

And the EF gets you more hardware/€ than those two planes.

The RAF doesn't want the numbers, because it can't afford the numbers.

What alternative would you suggest, apart from disbanding the RAF or letting them fly Spitfires?

yes the RAF cannot afford the numbers because of the increased cost of the thing, it was designed in 1983 and was designed for a role that no longer is there, id rather the RAF wait a while and buy the F35, which is a real replacement for the harriers that we still have in service and all its limitations, also i would rather have had use in the F22 program than the Eurofighter one, because the cost for use to contribute would have been alot less and thus could have been redirected to other parts of the military instead of going billions over the development cost along with it being over 60 months late.

The F35 JSF does not exist yet - it's even debatable if it will ever go to production or not. And it's far more expensive than the Eurofighter.

As for the F22, it's even more outdated than the EF, and not to mention far far more expensive. It's development started in 1981.

Not to mention that you'd rely on foreign spare parts if you chose a US plane, which is a big minus.

The F35 JSF does not exist yet - it's even debatable if it will ever go to production or not. And it's far more expensive than the Eurofighter..........

Not to mention that you'd rely on foreign spare parts if you chose a US plane, which is a big minus.

overall it would have cost less, the develoment cost you have to give was around 3 bn which is i think just over the amount the eurofighter has increased in cost, alsy the F35 is the replacement for the A10,Harrier,F-16, F/A-18,

check this article on the F35 (From last year, the cost incurred by the UK is far less when you add it all up.)

Click Me

BBC Link on Cost

Also on the parts probally not because we would probally buy the licence to build the parts in the UK, much like the longbow where they are built under a uk Company.

One remark, and this has turned into a eurofighter thread!? wow_o.gif

Well, erm, the helicopter concept drawing looks sexy, I'll give it that.

There are comparable alternatives, such as the "Flying Brick" Mirage

Is it me or isn't the Mirage (all versions) a bit more widespread than the Gripen ? There must be some reasons for that ..... ;)

Is it me or isn't the Mirage (all versions) a bit more widespread than the Gripen ? There must be some reasons for that ..... ;)

Subsidies? tounge_o.gif

Well, erm, the helicopter concept drawing looks sexy, I'll give it that.

Concept drawings always look sexy.

Subsidies? tounge_o.gif

smile_o.gif

You should be thankfull for the Mirages III we sold to your country ;)

Proud Mirage 2000 users are Abu Dhabi, Egypt, Greece, India, Peru, Taiwan and Qatar.

You should be thankfull for the Mirages III we sold to your country

/avon notes (distant) past tense

You should be thankfull for the Mirages III we sold to your country

/avon notes (distant) past tense

friendships rarely last forever wink_o.gif

friendships rarely last forever

with friends like these........ crazy_o.gif

Yeah you're right ... but business is business ...

The Egyptians seem to enjoy their Mirages ...

Odd ... 40 years ago, the Israeli were flying mirages to shoot down Egyptian planes ...

Widespread as in used by more countries? Mirage is used in 8 countries, Gripen in 4. But the Mirage was first used in 1983, the Gripen in 1997.

Widespread as in used by more countries? Mirage is used in 8 countries, Gripen in 4. But the Mirage was first used in 1983, the Gripen in 1997.

what differs so much between a 2000-5 (1996 and now the standard of all the mirages flying abroad), 2000-9 or 2000-5mk2 and a Gripen ?