Sign in to follow this  
FW200

Retro Gaming

I would like to talk in this thread about a thing called Retro Gaming which is basicly going back to your roots and playing old games on old consoles etc like Atari's or Commodore's.

Here is a little story about my Retro Gaming console:

A couple of days ago there was a country fair here in the village where I live.. and there is always a scout group there with a lot of old stuff like electronics and toys etc. This time I saw a Amiga 500 in it's box there and I asked the man how much it cost. He then said I could take it with me for 2 Euro's..

I couldn't believe it, a complete Amiga 500 console for 2 Euro's. In the box (original) was the console , power unit, Amiga 520 tv converter and a original 2 button mouse. Disks were sadly missing. The entire console was kinda yellow and it had some filth on it. I cleaned everything up and to my amazement it worked like a charm. Ok, I could do nothing but look at the nice bootup screen since I didn't have any disks but atleast I got this far.

Today at school I was talking about how I didn't have any disks with a couple of friends of mine and suddenly a girl from my class said that she had some boxes filled with Amiga disks from her Dad. So I'm going there tomorrow and see what kind of disks they are and what programs and games they contain, I'm already looking forward to playing games I used to play like Settlers 1, Wings and Theme Park.

So this is my little story, now about you guys, what are your experiences with "Retro Gaming" and/or the consoles you used to play on?

Added are some pics of my Amiga 500:

Amiga2.jpg

The entire set (except the TV) for 2 Euro's smile_o.gif

Amiga1.jpg

The Amiga itself, a bit yellowish perhaps.

Too bad I sold my C-128D when I was a kid, heard they are quite rare these days. sad_o.gif

meh, i got my zx spectrum 48k stashed away, but i have a load of its games instaled in my pc. Nothing beats the sound of a game loading in a zx spectrum tounge_o.gif

I still have my old C64 and Vic20 somewhere and they both should work. The horrors of cassette drive crazy_o.gif.

Ahh, the Amiga - some great games on that. I never had one myself, but my best bud did. We used to play M1 Tank Platoon for hours at a time... smile_o.gif

Those Amiga pics cause flashbacks! That screen with the hand and the disc!

I used to play hours on end with an Amiga exactly like that at my friend's house, even though the colours were messed up so everything was a shade of orange. tounge_o.gif It was a joyous occasion when the colors went back to normal about once a month for a few hours.

Can't remember many game names though...

Btw all the consoles I have owned (in order, not even one is actually "retro")

Game boy

Some weird pirate NES 8-bit

Sega Megadrive

U.S-version SNES (good times)

Nintendo 64 (REALLY good times)

PSX

I still have that PSX, but stopped playing with it years ago, after that it has been PC PC PC....actually this is my second one.

I have an old Tandy T1000 stashed in the back of my storage unit somewhere. Was one of the first computers I owned as a kid, also stayed up all hours of the night playing Microprose's M1 Tank Platoon and Sword of the Samurai.

Funny thing is that when I first got it, it was sold at Radio Shack for it's Home Control Center use. The PC was set up with software to run the whole house using remote power boxes that could turn on and off nearly every appliance. Even had a connection system to control house from remote location. I never used it much, just turned it into a gaming PC. Was nice though, had a helpful menu system similar to Windows 3.1 but before Windows was even talked about.

I once played some knight-ish game on my brothers C64... quite fun actually:)

(off topic: damnit Eizei! sweden doesn't suck! finland didn't even qualify for Euro 2004!)

Wow!!! I remember my 500, I didn't have hardly any games for it. I use to have the monitor hooked up to a video cam not to long ago, but the thing got fried sad_o.gif

But I did use the computer for other things, like me and some friends traded music files called MOD music.

Come to think of it it sounds like the music that kegety had in his water demo.

P.S. Just typed in on google( MOD music amiga 500 )and found a bunch of downloadable stuff. I don't think you'll even need any old disks if you look online for goodies. ;)

I bought Pong on Ebay. Such classics are quite expensive today. I also have a donky Kong at the toilet, just in case it takes a bit longer  wow_o.gif

I have a C64 emulator for Pocket PC now and all the classics installed. Green Beret, Ghost´n Goblins all the way. We had a big thread about these games lately here.

There are legal sites that distribute the games in thousands.

My first videogame was Jurassic Park for Sega Genesis.

*Flashbacks of T Rex eating you*

God those things scared the crap out of me when I was 4. crazy_o.gif

There are legal sites that distribute the games in thousands.

Yeah, I bough a cd with several hundred (or thousands) of Spectrum games, including the nescessary emulators. Same for a lot of old Atari 800XL games. Quite fun at times.

A thread that brought back many similar memories......

Guess the name of the game

My personal history is something like....

Grandstand console (12 sports games all based on pong)

Commodore Vic20

Spectrum 48k

Commodore 64

Commodore Amiga 500

Commodore Amiga 1200

PC 486 DX266

P3 500

1.2ghz AMD

currently AMD Athlon XP2800

Somewhere in that list I've also had...

Sega Megadrive (Genesis in N.A.)

Playstation 1

Nintendo Game boy

Sega GameGear

and currently I have a PS2.

The only console I have fond memories of is my old Sega Master System II. (Came with Alex the Kid, Built In!)

I got that when I was 4, I saved up all my birthday money and it cost me $100. (Quite alot for those days).....Ahh, the memories. smile_o.gif

I've only had the C64 with a cassette-player and a 5.1/4" floppy-drive and The final cartridge 3 (to speed up loading) and a N64 and a Gameboy for a short while.

A few golden ones:

Paperboy, Giana sisters, New Zealand story, Gunship, Green Berets, Army moves and last but not least the legendary Last Ninja and Last Ninja 2.

Never owned an Amiga, but a friend once had one. Played alot of Firepower and Last Ninja 3 on it.

I was bored one weekend so I just went out and bought a N64, Goldeneye and a rumble-pack. Played the game. Sold it all after 2 weeks tounge_o.gif

My gaming-rig history:

C64

Nintendo 64

Gameboy

486 DX2 66 (Packard Bell)

K6-233

P-II 350

P-III 650

P-III 1GHz

P-IV 1.8

P-IV 3GHz

Ahh my Sega Mega drive 2. I think there was a sega mega drive 2. I used to play LHX attack helicopter for hours. Then that broke so I brought a PS1 later a computer then a PS2 then another computer then I brought Flashpoit then we got a new computer and I installed Flashpoint. Never been unistalled smile_o.gif

My life in gaming story. smile_o.gif

Ahh my Sega Mega drive 2. I think there was a sega mega drive 2. I used to play LHX attack helicopter for hours.

Yes, there was (Sega Mega Drive II, I had one of those as well. Big let down, wish I got a SNES instead)

Never played LHX on any of the consoles, but back in the day of the 486, my first PC, that was one of the few games I ever became adicted too. That and Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix. If I were to go into it any further, it would probably belong in the other thread.

cool a gaming rig history thread

-C64 (upgraded to 128k  wow_o.gif ) - my dad´s

-C64 (no upgrades but the new age grey´ish design) - my own

-gameboy (of course)

-386´ 33 mhz (the one where i fell in luv with doom  smile_o.gif  )

-sega genesis / (europe: mega drive)

-486´DX4 (duke nukem, wing commander, crusader, c&c.. probably the best time for pc gaming until ofp came out)

-pentium I 133 mhz (got it from my dad when it wasn´t even worth 10$ anymore)

-Playstation (was way better than the pentium  biggrin_o.gif )

-Nintendo 64

-AMD TB 1 ghz

-AMD XP 2500

Here it goes:

Amiga 600

Intel 386

Intel 486

Intel Pentium 2  - simultaneously with PSX

Intel Pentium 3

AMD Athlon XP  +2100

Never played LHX on any of the consoles, but back in the day of the 486, my first PC, that was one of the few games I ever became adicted too. That and Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix. If I were to go into it any further, it would probably belong in the other thread.

I remenber Geof Crammonds Grand prix 2. I loved that game. 1994 grand prix series. My first ever racing game i got addicted too. smile_o.gif

here's mine:

Commodore 64

PC 286

Nintendo 8-bit

SEGA Gamegear

Intel Pentium 1 - 133MHz

Intel Pentium 3 - 450MHz

AMD XP 1800+ (current one)

Ok just got 4 large disk cases filled with Amiga Disks for free ;)

By the look of the layer of dust it hasn't been used in a long time..

First tests show that my Amiga is indeed working biggrin_o.gif

Will report back later on tonight with reports on Settlers 1 etc ;)