Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

A good Vietnam book

Now I'm not a book person at all, but this book by Tim O'Brien really snagged my eye.

FolderFrontCover.jpg

I was actually reading this in summer school... not a half bad book. very accurate, a true story about this dudes life that was in the Vietnam war.

Some pretty scary stuff.

(now I understand why tunnel patrol is the scariest shit to have to do)

That was a good book. The best one I've ever read was Fields of Fire by James Webb, I believe. That was a very, very good book.

Gary Linderer and several others from the 101st LRRP team have had many excellent books published.

One of the best Nam books I've read is "Pathfinder" by Richard Burns - at the time of publication it was the only book written about Nam Pathfinders IIRC.

"Steel My Soldier's Hearts" and "The Cat from Hue" were also good reads.

Gary Linderer and several others from the 101st LRRP team have had many excellent books published.

Phantom Warriors: Book 1 & 2, Eyes of the Eagle and Six Silent Men (book 3 of 3), all very good.

One that I enjoyed very much was Da Nang Diary by Tom Yarborough.  An OV-10 Bronco pilot and FAC over North Vietnam and Laos, good read.

Now I'm not a book person at all, but this book by Tim O'Brien really snagged my eye.

Yes, that is one of the most well written books about the war.

Those who haven't read it and post your thoughts on other books, this is one of those artsy fartsy, frilly writing style books. Nothing like most of those other books mentioned (I have most of them as well). Those are all "this is what happened, this is what we did, so and so said this.". TTTC is more touchy feely with it's style. Well written, but some people may not like that style.

It may be over your head Hellfish :P

It's more like "My war gone by I miss it so."

read "THE CAGE"

its about an englishman in nam,

very good book, i read lots and its my favorite so far. wink_o.gif

ps - i read chasing casiato (something like that) by Tim Obrien, they are following an AWOL soldier thru the jungle or something, it was pretty borring tho... but that was before i was a nam fanatic :P

After my current book im gonna read "Six Armies in Normandy" then im gonna read "The Forgotten Men (Commandos in War-Time China)"

Actually, it was. sad_o.gif I tried to read the first chapter, but it was too unstructured for me to deal with. That was years ago, though - I may have another look at it.

Anything by Hackworth I always found to be a good read, if somewhat self-promoting. I really liked "Steel, My Soldier's Hearts", though.

Actually, it was. sad_o.gif I tried to read the first chapter, but it was too unstructured for me to deal with. That was years ago, though - I may have another look at it.

Anything by Hackworth I always found to be a good read, if somewhat self-promoting. I really liked "Steel, My Soldier's Hearts", though.

haha was just joking buddy. Actually I thought it was just printed recently.

Ive just recently finished a pair of books, "CW2" by Layne Heath and "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason, both pilots from the 1st CAV

my fave Nam books: Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

13th Valley by John Del Vecchio

FNG by Donald Bodey

Sympathy for the devil by Kent Anderson

BTW The Cage has been proven to be a fake,the guy was never captured.check it out here: The Cage Phony

Maybe somebody will recognise my favourite all time Nam book, I read it once, lost it and have no idea who wrote it or what the title was.....

It was written IIRC by an Lt. in Nam,

It was written in expanded diary form, i.e. he kept a diary in Nam and then when he was back in the "world" expanded the entries from memory but retained a diary feel to the book.

One of the most memorable anecdotes is about them being on patrol, suprised by some kind of ambush, one of the guys in their squad took a full burst of AK but every round hit something on his body e.g. canteen, binoculars, thick wallet of personal photos, so he escaped with only bruises.

That's all I remember, not much to go on I know sad_o.gif