Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Help figuring out a war movie

I am trying to figure out the name of a rather old war movie.

I remember one scene clearly. A bunch of US soldiers ( I think ) take position at some winter installation. They use conrete pipes and slabs to build barriers, from which they hold of an enemy unit. Some of the soldiers laying inside the pipes, firing out.

Thats the only scene I remember with distinction. Anyone know which movie?

I am trying to figure out the name of a rather old war movie.

Do you remember what war was pictured - or was it a fictional conflict?

Honestly, no clue. I think its fictional but I am not sure. I dont remember much aside from that scene, and that I really liked the movie.

It could be "Ice Station Zebra" but I dont remember much about that movie to be totally sure. But there is a fire fight between US and Russian troops in an arctic setting, if I remember correctly.

Nope sad_o.gif It was like 15 years or so since I saw it, and I really dont remember much of anything, except that fire fight which I for some reason thought was way cool at the time smile_o.gif

With so little information it is going to be a tough one...

You might dig through the 4309 war movies on IMDb or check out the war movie section of Amazon.com (assuming it got released on DVD...)

You said a battle between americans and russians? That would most likely make it a cold war flick. Any idea whether it was a new movie (from the 80ies) , e.g. by looking at the equipment.

Or more like Ice Station Zebra (1968)...

I remember a scene like this in a WW3 movie, a war that starts in Alaska, a U.S. isolated guarrison in the middle of a blizzard is attacked by Russian paratroopers.

I saw this movie some 15+ years ago, so i really cant remember its title, or the actors in it.

Bonko, that could be it. It was indeed a blizzard going on. If memory serves me correct.

These US soldiers lay in the concrete pipes, piled on top of each other, and wait for the Russians to come closer. Then they open up with all they have.

Dang... I have to figure it out. Very annoying :/

Der Bastler: No, not Red Dawn... I own that one on DVD, and its not the one I am thinking about. I think its older than Red Dawn to be honest, and it didnt contain any pop kid actors as far as I remember smile_o.gif

It is "Ice Station Zebra" I remember the part you are talking about clearly unclesam.gif

They were in the pipes? How were the pipes positioned, horizontal? Or vertical and they were popping up from them?

It is "Ice Station Zebra" I remember the part you are talking about clearly  unclesam.gif

Ice station zebra. might have to rent that from video ezy in the near furture. smile_o.gif

Based on a book by Alistair Maclean IIRC, haven't seen the movie but have read the book, movie has Rock Hudson running around a polystyrene landscape I believe smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]They were in the pipes? How were the pipes positioned, horizontal? Or vertical and they were popping up from them?

I am not 100% sure of this, long time ago, but if I remember correctly:

The pipes are stacked next to a big building, together with concrete slabs. The slabs are moved to block the entrance into the building (a garage like entrance) and the pipes are positioned horisontolly to let the shooter in each pipe cover a very narrow field of fire. Advantage of course being that they are very hard to hit at their end of the pipe, and also hard to spot in the blizzard with snow uniforms on. Its a pretty cool scene as far as I can remember.

Quote[/b] ]They were in the pipes?  How were the pipes positioned, horizontal? Or vertical and they were popping up from them?

I am not 100% sure of this, long time ago, but if I remember correctly:

The pipes are stacked next to a big building, together with concrete slabs. The slabs are moved to block the entrance into the building (a garage like entrance) and the pipes are positioned horisontolly to let the shooter in each pipe cover a very narrow field of fire. Advantage of course being that they are very hard to hit at their end of the pipe, and also hard to spot in the blizzard with snow uniforms on. Its a pretty cool scene as far as I can remember.

Vid04-a.jpg

Hi,

Avon was right about the title, it was from a TV mini-series of the same name:

World War III (1982) (TV)

The description of the scene matched one I recall from seeing that on the tele.

Regards,

Sander