Sign in to follow this  
joltan

EVE Online

Ah, note that EVE was patched today and that (at the time of writing) the full download is not updated yet - the patch required is only 0.7mb, tho. You can get it here.

I always wanted to try out one of these big online playing games, but I'm always afraid of starting out as a noob and then some big shot player comes by and rapes me with his BFG 9000 and takes my stuff. biggrin_o.gif

Wont happen in Eve.

Some systems are high security, meaning you wont get attacked there. Sure, its not as fun, but it gives you ample time to learn the tricks and suit up for the real action.

As long as you follow the law and dont turn pirate, NPC's will protect you from pirate PC's.

Joltan, got any tips for raising the energy output on a Merlin, except the skills that give you a slight bonus and installing a new power core?

Not really - if anything I should ask you - you've been playing this game way longer than me... ;)

I have power core diagnostics installed while at the same time training up my engineering skill (L3 now). Thats enough to power 2x150mm railguns, 2x std missile launchers and a shield booster. I'd have to replace 1 150mm gun with a 125mm to fit my cold gas thrusters, but I only do that when speed's essential.

Been registered for a long time but not played during it all smile_o.gif

I carry a medium laser, a 250(I think) mm railgun and two standard missile launchers. That, together with a few minor gadgets uses up all my power sad_o.gif

Do some of the agent missions available after you've completed the tutorial - they pay well enough so you can afford a small frigate soon (use the market to find the cheapest prize in your region). Also mining gives you some income quickly (don't refine - without the skill you'll make more selling the raw ore). Just mine scordite, nothing fancy. What's your ingame name?

Pathy.

Although i cant get in at the moment (frozen on the "entering space" screen), i may need the new patch (although it says im ok and i thought i had it)

You have the new patch (it auto-updates you when you try to connect), but there's some issues - I'm ingame. If you tell me where you are I may be able to slip you some stuff. Edit: sent you 50k - all I can give right now, but that should get you a small frigate and some guns.

I just bought skills for over 600k... now I'm broke. sad_o.gif

Na, not really... just gotta sell the loot from my last pirate hunt.

Argh, seems the patch they put on messed quite a few things up - they are fixing them now (first hotfix was already out today - with more to come tomorrow). I'd recommend only going on to change skill learning and apart from that to lie low in the hangar until the worst is over (should be ok before the weekend).

sad_o.gif

MMPORG.COM offer a 14-day trial to their registered members. Might be worth a look. The usual trials are only 7-days.

Sorry to go off subject but.....whos tried starwars galaxies?

anyone here ever played it?? its another MMORPG...not like

EVE online tho....soon ships are coming out! wink_o.gif

after reading about this game from your guys' posts I'm downloading it now and going to check out a 14 day trial period...

see you in space..  biggrin_o.gif

*EDIT..... seems like my video card doesnt like the game.. sounded like fun too.... supposedly some a new driver from ATI will solve it.. but who knows when that will happen wink_o.gif

Hopefully I can still get a trial when the issues get fixed...

blues.gif

I have a Radeon 9600 myself - works perfectly fine with the latest ATI drivers, even in windowed mode. Two recommendations, tho (already mentioned earlier I think):

- set AGP to max. 4x

- turn off Fastwrites

I don't know why, but EVE seems to be really having problems if you're using AGP 8x and Fastwrites with Radeon cards - even if other games work fine with these options. Note that neither of these options will have a negative impact on your gfx performance: no games really need >4x AGP and Fastwrites doesn't give you any recognizable performance gain with a modern gfx card & computer.

This game sounds very fun/impressive. I wish I could afford to pay for it sad_o.gif. I can't buy any pay-to-play games, like Galaxies, or Eve. I wish I could sad_o.gif

Well, if you consider the time spend with a game, then it's not much. One night out in the cinema with a beer and some popcorn is more expensive than a whole month of most MMORPGs (including EVE or SW Galaxies).

The good thing with EVE is that your character is not deleted when you stop playing (and paying), so you always can come back a later and continue with it instead of having to train up all skill again from scratch. You can even train during that time (some very high level skills take up to a month real time to train) if you start the training just before your subscription runs out.

I know this is off topic but if some of you guys arnt into space games try World War 2 online. Same kind of thing as in everyone plays in one giant server in stead of seperate servers, so that mean thousands of other player are playing with you and the map it a real map of Europe....or part of it im not sure. You can fly planes drive tanks and cars, very realistic and a bit unforgiving. You get shot once and everything goes black, you are spawned miles away at an HQ. Anyways you also have to pay like eve though its a yearly subscription I think. Back on track, EVE looks cool and I would like to try it but I dont want to pay for subscription and I dont want to install another game on my comp, looks cool though.

yeah I tried a few more things.. quite a few actually... and still no luck.. I get a VPU error or something like that..

I tried going back to an earlier driver even.. but no luck..

hopefully the next Catalyst will solve my problems

blues.gif

I play eve online, im 1 of Joltans M8s and 1 of the guys who got him into it. biggrin_o.gif I'm a member of a very well known Player vs Player Corporation called Evolution and my in game name is called Jim Bond if any1 wants to contact me in game.

Best way to start is to do agent missions and mining probably, and to stay in higher security space of 0.5-1.0.

Training wise i would probably learn frigate and cruiser skills up, learning skills and engineering and electronics skills 1st.

Also good skills to learn are mining if u wanna do mining and Industrial ship skill so you can fly an "indy".

If you like playing games alone then eve aint for you. Its a game thats best played helping each other out and tbh thats the hardest thing to do, to find a few players that u like and enjoy playing with who wont screw u over.

I recently signed up and this game rocks. It is very very addictive.

I am about 18 hours away from the level where i can buy and fly my first cruiser, a Thorax. I am currently flying a Tristan frigate packing 2x 150mm railguns with Iridium ammo, a missile launcher and 2x combat drones and i am sailing through lvl 2 agent missions with ease. You need to find an agent with a high quality rating to progress up through the levels faster and get batter paid missions. I have a lvl 2 federal navy agent in security and i get mostly pirate hunting missions and the odd courier one.

I am in a corp with a few guys and gals i know in RL and we all help eachother out, especially the new starters. We mine in groups and all get an equal share of the profits, no matter how much you actually bring in yourself. This helps the new starters to progress quicker. Mining is boring but it's fun when you are in a group and everyone is racing to get kills on the intruding pirates....it's also the best way to make cash. I mined for 3 hours a few nights ago with 5 corp members and we each made 4.2 million each.

There are corps out there that will fleece you so be careful who you join. My corp is based in MOSELGI at the Minmatar Mining Corporation Refinery and is called 'No Name Inc'....we mostly mine, hunt pirates and build & sell ships, weapons and ammo.

The game is very complex and there is a hell of a lot to take in and discover. The basic 'playing' of the game is real simple though.

My name is Bravo Z....hail me if you see me in space wink_o.gif

This is bad; addictive drugs disguised as games.

Thats what this is, my social life doesnt tollerate another addiction next to ofp.

iow; loads of fun

smile_o.gif

YOu can add me to the pile of members playing this great game biggrin_o.gif

Me too... sad_o.gif

Now that it's only a matter of days until our OFP server is back 75% of our core squad are addicted (heavily I might add) to EVE...sigh

crazy_o.gif

Mmmm ive kinda weened myself off my addiction, i havent played much in a long time....just set some training going every now and then....