Sign in to follow this  
joltan

EVE Online

I just started playing this great game recently and thus am a bit curious if there are any other forum members playing EVE Online? It's very similar to the old Elite/Frontier games (if you don't know these you probably weren't born at the time) - just with great graphics, a completely player driven economy and between 4k - 10k players online around the clock. I imediately fell for it!

spacestation.jpg

moon.jpg

stargate.jpg

gurrista.jpg

interface.jpg

Right, Caldaris are the best! smile_o.gif

Let me guess - you call yourself Longinius ingame, too? I just saw the name in the EVE Online forums and I was wondering wether it'd be the same person...

Yeah, same name, same player ;)

Been building up my economy and ship abit, getting some nice skills so I can last a bit in the wars. Now all I need is a good corp to work for.

Ah, I started my character (ingame name's 'Daddl') just a few days ago, so I think I'll keep out of those for some time. I got me the nescessary skills and now I'm just training them up slowly so I can not only fly a cruiser, but also fight properly with it. Till then I'll stick to my trusted Merlin and indys. I'll probably start hauling cargo for a corp soon, too - good money through teamwork and some protection for my badger mk2. I have some friends in EVOL, but I'm not sure I want to join a corp that's at war with several other corps while I can neither really contribute nor defend myself.

I fly the Merlin myself aswell. Mainly do agent combat missions and the occasional courier run, usually carrying weapons, soldiers or top secret documents (I am such a virtual spec ops whore!).

The Merlin will last me a pretty long while I reckon, for lighter combat missions and courier jobs. I also have another ship fitted for scouting and espionage, capable of carrying drones aswell.

I fly the Merlin myself aswell. Mainly do agent combat missions and the occasional courier run, usually carrying weapons, soldiers or top secret documents (I am such a virtual spec ops whore!).

Where are you getting those missions from??? I've still got only access to agent level 1 missions (mostly boring and badly paid - I need to get my connections and negotiation skills up I guss), so I prefer to go out and hunt gurrista pirates for the loot.

The Merlin's a very nice ship, but a bit slow (don't have the skills for an mwd yet). I'll keep it but the main goal for the moment is to get enough money & skills for the Moa I'm aiming for.

I do runs for the Internal Security corporation, based out of their HQ in Poinen. Its level 1 missions but the station has 4 agents, so I take 4 missions at a time, all combat runs. I never have to go more than 2 jumps out and many times the missions are all in the same system, so its fast work and easy money.

Anyone feel like explaining what this game is about? All i hear about are corps, ships, wars and economy stuff...

What are you supposed to do? etc

Its an MMO, so its pay for play.

Its a dynamic world, several thousands similtaneous users, so you are supposed to do whatever you set your mind to.

The world consists of a large portion of colonised space. Four human races control the colonies, and within each race are several corporations (both player run and run by the game itself). A corp can chose to do anything it wants really. Trade, construction, logistics, manufacturing, security, espionage, mining etc.

I for example currently work for a sub-corporation called Internal Security, which handles the security and protection of a larger corporations assets (ships, stationes, space lanes etc).

So while some might chose to explore, mine or develop / build stuff, others (like me) chose to protect those that do the labour part. They need protection both from enemy players and enemy NPC's.

Sounds pretty cool, a real virtual world huh?

Very nice to have so much freedom...

Yeah, its quite nice. In the long run it gets frustrating though if you dont find a purpose for your playing, atleast for me. I need a goal to work towards. So I put up a main goal I want to do, in this case protect traders and miners. Then along the way I put up smaller goals that are more directly achievable, like getting a certain ship, mastering a skill, getting a specific piece of equipment etc.

A player run corporation can be seen as a squad in OFP - people who work together and have fun.

Here's a short feature list. Basically if you know the old Elite game then you have an idea what's the game is about. You can trade, hunt pirates (or be one), you can form a corporation and have wars with other corps, mine the belts - or you can just explore the thousands of solar systems. Here's a link to the official FAQ.

There's about 4000 - 10000 people on all the time. The client is free for download (465mb) and there's a 7-day trial via the buddy programm, where you can play without the need to pay or even give credit card details. After that the account creation costs 20 Euro (including one month of game time) and you can buy additional game time in 1-, 3- or 6-month packages. Monthly subscription costs are between 15 and 11 Euros (the larger the game time package you buy the cheaper it is per month).

The good thing compared to other MMORPGs is that you can advance your skills without being online all the time. training doesn't depend on you whacking hundreds of enemies, but only on the time you have set a certain skill for learning - and the learning process continues in real time even if you are logged off. So even casual gamers who actually got a live can play it and advance their character.

I really dont like this whole monthly fee deal sad_o.gif the game looks nice though.

You have to see it this way: the game can be downloaded for free (or bought, but then including the account creation fee and one month of game time), so somehow they have to finance the enormous costs involved in the development of the game (and the free expansion packs they are continuosly adding) and the maintenance of the server cluster needed to run such a game.

I think it's a fair deal.

Agh, I envy you people that have the time for this.

It looks nice. I liked the old Elite series. But I don't have time for such an indulgence. sad_o.gif

It really isnt more time consuming than any other PC game, unless you want it to be. It can be played like an online version of Elite really. Quite nice.

I have a 3 day trial of Eve, tempted to try it, but.....

I have a 3 day trial of Eve, tempted to try it, but.....

There's 7-day trials that any subscriber can send you (but I guess your 3-day trial will get prolonged to 7 days automatically anyways - happened to me that way).

Aww hell, see you ingame :P

Any tips for starting up?

And how much does subscription actually cost?

How does this game differ to Star Wars: Galaxies though? I have never played the game myself, but from what i hear, it's quite simialr to this 'EVE'? The game sounds good though, but i never like pay per month games (although i agree, they need to be for games like these).

EDIT:

Pathy, this is from joltan's post...

Quote[/b] ]client is free for download (465mb) and there's a 7-day trial via the buddy programm, where you can play without the need to pay or even give credit card details. After that the account creation costs 20 Euro (including one month of game time) and you can buy additional game time in 1-, 3- or 6-month packages. Monthly subscription costs are between 15 and 11 Euros (the larger the game time package you buy the cheaper it is per month).

For one, its in space only while SWG is mostly on planets (with a space expansion being released soon). You never leave your ship in Eve. Even when docked, you are in ship mode (just like the old Elite game).

Secondly, SWG is a levelgrinder. Meaning, you have to constantly be online killing NPC's to get experience to train your skill. In Eve experience comes automatically and you train in real time. So you can put a skill on training and log off, two real hours later and you are done.

Third, there appears to be a working economy in Eve, which there isnt in SWG (not when I played anyway).

Otherwise, in basic concept, its roughly the same.

Account created, patching up, so any tips for starters?

Any tips for starting up?

Mhhh...

first: do the tutorial, all of it. It's the best way to learn your way around EVE and the GUI. Also it gives you a good standing with the faction you start with.

second: train, from the very first moment. Always have one skill in training and if you have surplus cash, buy more. Information on what skill are usefull can be found in the guides found on some of the site I'll list below. It also depends very much on what you want to do, what race you are and how your character starts out.

third: don't go into solar sytems that have a security rating below 0.5 - else you're dead meat, as in those areas the police doesn't protect you from player pirates (and the NPC pirates are usually much tougher, too).

fourth: get a new ship. First moment you can afford and fly it (frigates skill might be the problem if you didn't choose a military pilot/captain career). The one you start out is just good enough to get you through the tutorial.

Here's some more help for rookies (I'm still one, too - just started last week):

<ul>[*]official new player faq

[*]a good yet simple FAQ for new players

[*]The best EVE info pages and forums are at eve-i.com - they offer an online tool that let you see how your descicions during character generation influence the outcome. Also there's a lot of other good stuff - tutorials, forums, etc.

[*]Something that's always worth a second look at is the skill tree, where you can check what you need to get/advance a certain skill or simply how skills depend upon each other.

That should get you started. smile_o.gif