Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

US Army gets new combat uniform

I think the Air Force is getting some sexy tiger stripes uniforms. I can't wait to get one.

Quote[/b] ]Like I said; it has been battle-tested in Iraq.

The trial batches worn by the Stryker BCT to Iraq were in the three colour desert camouflage pattern. It was primarily intended for testing the layout and cut of the new uniform. Trial batches in both U.S. woodland and three colour desert pattern were issued before the pixillated pattern was adopted.

===

It would be nice to see an OFP variant of a uniform that adapts to the surrounding light for it would give a new purpose to the various flare rounds: fire a red flare as an East soldier and you would see opposing ACU clad units turn red and aid in targeting.

Regards,

Sander

Quote[/b] ]

Note that the USMC have changed to MARPAT and will recieve the AAAV (which is still undergoing testing, but has improved a lot). The Airforce is getting the F-22 and JSF (and a new uniform too)

AAAV's been cancelled, but the Marines are getting the JSF to do the same job as the Harrier. The F-22 is going solely to the Air Force, while basically everyone's getting the JSF.

Quote[/b] ]

Note that the USMC have changed to MARPAT and will recieve the AAAV (which is still undergoing testing, but has improved a lot). The Airforce is getting the F-22 and JSF  (and a new uniform too)

AAAV's been cancelled, but the Marines are getting the JSF to do the same job as the Harrier. The F-22 is going solely to the Air Force, while basically everyone's getting the JSF.

source on the AAAV rock.gif

I heard the last word on it on 12-31-2004 stating that is was very much alive. Last test-pictures date back a few months, but I'm damn sure that it's still being worked on.

I don't know how well velcro is going to hold up when you introduce it to dirt/sand.

And i STILL say they sure are Ugly tounge_o.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but why do airforce W.O.G.S. and line workers need camo uniforms at all? Especially blue ones....

MARPAT is cool, but the Marines just stole it from Canada. wink_o.gif

CADPAT

AFAIK the AF already cancelled the blue tigerstripe. They finally found out that it doesn't really help you to blend in crazy_o.gif

Remember that AF also has other workers. And sometimes you also need to set up a forward airbase. The possibility of enemy contact is present.

Marpat wasn't stolen. It was developed using the work from the canadians. But it was the USMC who first started the idea of using digital camo (on vehicles). (the british urban camo for berlin wasn't digital)

looks far from cancelled to me;

http://www.efv.usmc.mil/

Looks like a BMP on steroids!

I especially like the blur effect added using photoshop on that one shot.

Nothing suggests SPEED! and POWER than blur!

IRT Can. Army site

I like the section for the "Lightweight Thermal Headwear"

Err...I mean toque.

There are ways to get the blur-effect without even touching the image in photoshop smile_o.gif

But, why did they choose velcro on the uniforms? I can hardly work the velcro flaps/pockets on my jacket when it's snowing heavily outside... I can only imagine being stuck in a gigantic box of sand with velcro pocket-lids whilst I'm being shot at by men who don't particularly like me at all.

Those uniforms look ugly, but I'm sure the velcro is going to be very effective in a combat environment :P (Hell, I can't even get my jacket to velcro when I go skiing. How the hell is someone supposed to get down in the desert and expect it to stay on?)

Personally I think multicam is more effective and simply looks cooler.

IRT Can. Army site

I like the section for the "Lightweight Thermal Headwear"

Err...I mean toque.

well if you want some more non-blured still shots, you can find them here:

http://www.efv.usmc.mil/program_highlights/photos.asp

hope you have a high speed conection though. took a while for them to load up.

and as for the velcro uniforms, didn't Pins da smoker unit get his uniforms early? i remember him commenting on them, but i don't remember what thread it was.

The velcro thing aint so bad.

Though I think the rank velcro will get shot out in a hurry due to rubbing by the LBV and other gear. I also predict alot of lost patches and rank insignia while in the field.

The velcro on the gortex always worked well for me and I slung alot of concrete and dirt as a heavy engineer.

for sure that collar is gonna suck.

Just another stupid thing for an NCO to gig a private for.

As for me I would have stuck with buttons not a damn zipper.

Those uniforms are quite ugly, i am glad i am no longer in the Army and would be forced to wear one. I guess the US government is too cheap to keep making seperate uniforms for each type of terrain.

If it really works, as Frostbite says it does, it would make the government anyhting BUT cheap.  If they made a camo that can work in all environments EFFECTIVELY, that must have cost quite a bit of money... unclesam.gif

Like I said; it has been battle-tested in Iraq.

The pattern was (of course) also tested in the US. Trust me; they wouldn't select a new pattern if it's not better than the current woodland/desert cammies.

Note that it's not just the pattern. The entire uniform has changed. A new collar, different pocket-layout and some other small things. All improvement were based on the input of soldiers.

A lot of things have changed recently and much more will change in the near future. The old helmet (PASGT) will also be replaced and already has been replaced in many units. The interceptor body-armour is also quite new.

Weapons are also being replaced. The XM-8 will replace the M4/M16 (even though many people don't like this). The M2 and MK19 will be replaced by the XM312/XM307 OCSW (different barrel and ammo, for the rest it's the same).

One new weapon is already in use and was part of the XM-8 program; the XM26 lightweight shotgun system. It's already in use in afghanistan mounted under an M4. It's small and semi-auto (no pump-action) and works well.

The US military is really changing and it was about time too. Things are really getting better although there sure is a lot of works that still needs to be done.

Note that the USMC have changed to MARPAT and will recieve the AAAV (which is still undergoing testing, but has improved a lot). The Airforce is getting the F-22 and JSF  (and a new uniform too)

I wouldent count on the xm8 replacing the M4/M16 yet if I where you, the gun is heavy 7,5 pounds empty its big and bulky, magazines are bulky(altho seats better in the mag well than a M16 mag in an M16), ergonomics is not as good as on M4. H&K has sold the rifle to General Dynamics. Its is weak due to its short barrel the 5.56 the us has chosen to go whit it is not nearly as lethal as a M4. And this is just the XM8BC(baseline carbine) the marskman(DMAR) version whit 20" barrel is to long if the butt is not fully retracted and whights a shitload 10.18 pounds. As fare as I heard it dident quilify as a MG either. now it is more accurate than the current issued M4's and M16's but this is because the XM8 is a free float barrel weapon and the M16A4 and M4A1 are not ,and you can't realy compare shouch weapons besides the M4/M16 is problery more accurate than XM8 when the M4/M16 has a free float barrel due to the fact that the M16 has metal reciver. The US ARMY has juet orderede a lot of new M16A4's and theres a new kid on the block:

img_1786.jpg

the Leitner-Wise  LW5.56C-P it offers a much cleaner system over the old M4 it has fired 40.000 rounds whot being cleaned it started showing signs of wear after 20.000 rounds. it has no whight penalties over the direct gas system, less recoile and muzzel climb, no accurcy loss has been reported yet, The cykle rate has lowered to 650-800 RPM, also due to fact that the gas isent blown back into the reciver its runs much cooler and the wear on the reciver has greatly been reduced compared to the old M4 which would beat its self to death over time due to the short gas system. the LW changes the bolt whit an improved one, a new bolt carrier and ofcause the gas tube goes.

img_1869.jpg

This is somthing that the US military apparently is very interested in. Leitner-wise is also makeing the MRS quick change barrel system for the M16 system which should work faster and smother than the LM system(if you know it you know it if you don't then it dosen't matter). word is that USMC is currently testing the MRS.

The new ACU camo suck alot of peole wonder why it was acepted it has no dept(no black) and will look like a geygreen mass, I don't think the ACU is better than woodland in a green arear and neither better than the dessert in a sand invoirment, its strange that they dident select the crye multicam which is prpblery the best all around camo on the market it also was best in all test the US ARMY did except oft tree where its was in the top tree. The uniform itself though has alots of good idear incorporated.

STGN

The gas-system with no gas driven back into the weapon is also present on the XM8 and the HK-M4.

The M4 and M16 WILL be replaced. The SOCOM has announced that a contact has been given to FN herstal for the production of the FN SCAR which will be the new assault rifle (modular) for the SOF's.

The Marines will probably stick with the M16A4.

The army is still looking at the Xm-8.

THe news that HK sold the project is not confirmed and are only rumors for now. I find it hard to believe HK produces a shitty rifle. THey are the best of the best. But I do think that they need a bit more time to make it right, since the current Xm-8 has issues. But that's why it's called XM-8  smile_o.gif

ACU;

Yes it's what they said it is;

Quote[/b] ]not a 100% solution in every terrain, but a good choise across the board

It's not gonna be perfect. Multicam is way better, but it can also be bought by the public. Blackwater qalready uses Multicam or is testing it (those guys get better stuff than the military).

The color black was left out, because it an not a color you'll see in nature. Quite strange though. One person suggested that the colors are were chosen for a good reason;

Quote[/b] ] heard there were studies done that Gray is the most...unobstrusive colour, so it blends in well with its surrounding because of contrast.

That's why its sort of Gray.

He may have a point here. Remember that the germans used grey uniforms in WW2. Although I must also say that they used a lot of camo too.

But let's face it;

It's impossible to say wether the ACU is good or bad without having seen it yourself under field conditions and in the forests. We'll have to see and wait. I'm sure in time we'll see pictures on Army.mil and than we can judge it.

Thanks for the link Sander. I couldn't find it anymore.

I was talking about the same thing, but I thought it was USMC, not US Amry. But it's indeed this experiment that I was refering to.

Hi,
Quote[/b] ]But it was the USMC who first started the idea of using digital camo (on vehicles). (the british urban camo for berlin wasn't digital)

Squarely first:

US Army pixel camouflage scheme from the seventies

Regards,

Sander

I think they were discussing the use of digital camo on uniforms and not vehicles.

IRT EFV

Some awsome pictures in there.

Just a question, one set of picture shows the EFV having these 'broom bristles' on the side just covering the track wheels. Is this just to give them limited cover from debris and explosives?

The gas-system with no gas driven back into the weapon is also present on the XM8 and the HK-M4.

The M4 and M16 WILL be replaced. The SOCOM has announced that a contact has been given to FN herstal for the production of the FN SCAR which will be the new assault rifle (modular) for the SOF's.

The Marines will probably stick with the M16A4.

The army is still looking at the Xm-8.

THe news that HK sold the project is not confirmed and are only rumors for now. I find it hard to believe HK produces a shitty rifle. THey are the best of the best. But I do think that they need a bit more time to make it right, since the current Xm-8 has issues. But that's why it's called XM-8  smile_o.gif

ACU;

Yes it's what they said it is;

Quote[/b] ]not a 100% solution in every terrain, but a good choise across the board

It's not gonna be perfect. Multicam is way better, but it can also be bought by the public. Blackwater qalready uses Multicam or is testing it (those guys get better stuff than the military).

The color black was left out, because it an not a color you'll see in nature. Quite strange though. One person suggested that the colors are were chosen for a good reason;

Quote[/b] ] heard there were studies done that Gray is the most...unobstrusive colour, so it blends in well with its surrounding because of contrast.

That's why its sort of Gray.

He may have a point here. Remember that the germans used grey uniforms in WW2. Although I must also say that they used a lot of camo too.

But let's face it;

It's impossible to say wether the ACU is good or bad without having seen it yourself under field conditions and in the forests. We'll have to see and wait. I'm sure in time we'll see pictures on Army.mil and than we can judge it.

1. Yes but now it is on a M4 not adding a pound like the HK416(which they did not bring to SHOT show this year they dident bring the XM8 either). and not being so big, heavy and bulky as the XM8. It can easily be fittet to the M4 without destroying enything so you can bring it back to direct gas(if you want) and it only cost 600$(this is for a privat person the military can get it cheaper) this means that hey can extend the life of an M4 alot and turn the running cost down alot too. And remember the M4 even whit its deficincies still is the best over-all weapon in the world theres a reason SAS, USSF and pritimuch enybody els special forces uses them.

2. About the SCAR yes its true that SOCOM has selected it to be the next main combat rifle but its stil a protorype. But this is also a heavy and rough weapon, whights 7,7 pounds and have a gas system somewhat(not totaly sure) simular to the M249. I have heard rumors that NSW(Navy Special Warfare) is interested in the new Leitner-wise gun because you don't have to drain the gas tube to shoot it and the fact that its still a M4.

3. Year but im prity sure they are testing the MRS(M4/M16,no gas into reciver, quick change barrel, free float barrel).

4. Yes they are looking at the second generation of the XM8 it has been to testing in Panama, Alaska and other places. But it dosen't change the fact that the M4 now beats the XM8 on most points and that just before christmas The US Army asked companies who would like to get the contract of making a new rifle for the army to submit.

5. Im prity sure that they did this guy said it

xm8soldierpopup.jpg

You may laugh but actualy its true, he worked first as a US special force somthing, then as a shooter for H&K(which he left because he didn't like their advertisment: H&K gun= SAS gun), now he works for the US Army and directly whit the XM8 and he even likes the M4 better Quote:

Quote[/b] ]That's not to say that the M4 family isn't the best assault rifle in the world, because it is...BY FAR!!! I've dealt with a few and without question the M4/M16 suite of systems has the distinct honor of being the most completly satisfying assault rifle system in the world...IMHO...but there are still deficiencies in the design...

6. Well I thort that about H&K too once and no doubt they have made som greate systems like MP5 and PSG1 but thier marketing is a bit strange and from what i've seen they have some dirt on thier hands, but I don't know. About the XM8 I don't think that you turn a 2.gen G36 in to a M4 like H&K wanted, plastic guns can't beat metal guns yet.

By the way have you seen Colt's M5 prototype its prity cool a M4 with free float barrel the carateristic front sight is gone, it has a Safe-Semi-Burst-Auto(looks like it does) selector and some handgaurd you can turn in to a RIS if you need it oh and ofcause a new gas system.

About the grey I actualy have seen a woodland uniform whit grey insted of sand in the pattern it was prity cool I should have bought it. And while its problery true about greys pasivsnes I still think they should have added som black(dark blue)

STGN

I prefer the CRYE multicam pattern ... a bit more oldschool but much more effective looking.

multicam picture gallery

I have a kevlar helmet cover with Multicam pattern...

Doesn't work well in some woodland area's... its too light.

Next airsoft match.. im going to test my Multicam helmet cover again and see if my previous results can be corrected.

Pictures WILL follow..

If I dont forget to bring my camera. biggrin_o.gif

Wow, that comes with a lot of stuff, boots, an under shirt, bunch of patches, etc...kinda cool, but a waste of money if you aren't a collector.

EDIT: Crazy stuff, a chair from Saddam's palace near the Baghdad airport is selling for $2,000 on E-bay (and with 7 days left to bid, it will surely go up crazy_o.gif). Check it out.

Hmm...am i digging an old topic? Sorry, but i saw this and had to reply about the uniform...

I personally tested out the uniform in Iraq with my unit, although the breast pockets were straight arcross and not slanted as in the pic. I personally thought it was a very great improvement on the original BDU layout.

1. The collar posed no problem to me at all, when folded down, not velcroed up, it was just fine. And even when up and posed no problems, no chaffing ar anything.

2. Our rank was placed over our name on the right breast, not in the middle. I thought that was just fine, but being in the middle as in the pic, i don't see anything wrong with that either. Its taking after where we wear our rank on our gortex jackets.

3. Pockets. I think the two shoulder pockets were probably the best thing about the whole uniform. Me, personally being a combat engineer, i kept  two m11's in my right pocket and a small 2 minute "british junction" in my left. These were closed by buttons, not velcro.

4. Velcro. Many would see this as a problem with dirt and sand. I, nor did anyone else i know, have a problem with the velcro not working because of sand or dirt. It surprisingly held up quite well. Never once did a patch come off or a pocket open. Though, honestly, there was a flaw in the leg pockets. The were closed with two small velcro patches on the ends of the pocket. As a combat soldier, we sometimes carry a lot of shit in our pockets, and those two little patches didn't cut it. Hopefully this will be adressed.

5. Boots. Are you telling me i can wear suede boots all the time regardless of environment, even in garrison?! NO MORE SHINING BOOTS!!! WEEEEEEE!

6. We also got new kevlar helmets, called the MICH helmet. Which stands for....umm....i cant remember...but it rocks. No more leather band and stupid support net. Now we have comfy pads inside which you can adjust yourself very easily, which are held in by umm....velcro...BUT once again no problems there. Also a built on NVG mount which is a great improvement on the ones we used to have to put on our old helmets.

*Ahem*...

Well, thats really all i can say about it. As far as the camo pattern, yea its a little....well....you know. The ones i wore were the simple desert pattern. I am actually looking forward to them, even though alot of people i know don't really like the pattern.

Anways, i just wanted to throw my two cents in there so people could get a first hand opinion on them.

P.S.

I love my M4. Wouldn't trade it for the world. But if they want to throw some more new technology at me, then so be it. I am personally sketchy, but we will see. Built in red dot sights, improved gas circulation (less carbon build up = less cleaning) and variants on the same body? Sounds kinda good to me. Like i said, we will see.